Jon Favreau's Lion King CONFIRMED

Aladdin, The Avengers, Spider-Man, and soon enough Lion King. All billionaires.

Honestly Disney, can I PLEASE just hold a cool 2million dollars tax free? They have way too much money.
tenor.gif

Can a brother just get 200k to pay off this student debt

Aladdin, The Avengers, Spider-Man, and soon enough Lion King. All billionaires.

Honestly Disney, can I PLEASE just hold a cool 2million dollars tax free? They have way too much money.
Plus Cap Marvel and Toy Story 4 soon enough, with Frozen 2 and Rise of Skywalker waiting in the wings. :cwink:

I don't understand why people are so put off by this Lion King film. I was 8 years old in 94 when The Lion King came out and it was one of my favourite films. I would watch it almost every day. I understand completely why it was the massive success it was. However as a fully grown 33 year old man I just can't take the cartoon format seriously anymore. I can still watch it and enjoy for nostalgic reasons but I don't get the emotional investment in anything that's a damn cartoon anymore. I have seen the new Lion King and find it a far superior version, not because it's executed any better, as for the most part it's a complete rip of the original scene for scene but because it looks so real. I can invest myself fully in feeling something for these animals with a real tangible, touchable quality to them. I feel every scene more and I love that they don't have these big cartoons expressions on their faces. They still had expression but it was subtle naunces in the eyes and brow and body language. I just wish people wouldn't let nostalgia get in the way all the time but I guess negative hyperbole is the crux of movie going audiences these days

And that's the problem right there: putting the "it's just for kids" stamp for animation, which shows how naive you act towards the animated one.

The original Lion King worked because it was a great movie on its own, regardless of being animated or not. Saying you can't take it seriously because it's a "cartoon" is incredibly insulting and demeaning to the animation genre (especially 2D). It's already underappreciated by the general audience as it is.

I don't understand why people are so put off by this Lion King film. I was 8 years old in 94 when The Lion King came out and it was one of my favourite films. I would watch it almost every day. I understand completely why it was the massive success it was. However as a fully grown 33 year old man I just can't take the cartoon format seriously anymore. I can still watch it and enjoy for nostalgic reasons but I don't get the emotional investment in anything that's a damn cartoon anymore. I have seen the new Lion King and find it a far superior version, not because it's executed any better, as for the most part it's a complete rip of the original scene for scene but because it looks so real. I can invest myself fully in feeling something for these animals with a real tangible, touchable quality to them. I feel every scene more and I love that they don't have these big cartoons expressions on their faces. They still had expression but it was subtle naunces in the eyes and brow and body language. I just wish people wouldn't let nostalgia get in the way all the time but I guess negative hyperbole is the crux of movie going audiences these days
What about the many people who say superheroes are for kids?

However as a fully grown 33 year old man I just can't take the cartoon format seriously anymore.

I'm pretty sure that makes you an odd one out here, especially considering we're on a site called SuperHero Hype, where probably half of the material is animated whether it's from DC or Marvel, and I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of fans here are well over 18.

I'm in my 30s as well and would take a well-made animated release anytime, especially when animation often trumps the live-action stuff! (especially true for DC nowadays)

Last edited:

I don’t think you really mean that. I say that not at all in a condescending way but because i used to feel like you. I went thru an identity crisis thinking “omg, am I just too old to care about cartoons anymore?” And the answer is no, you just havent connected with any cartoons or animated films recently.

I watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit very recently and I still ansolutely loved it. Granted its half live action half cartoon but the cartoon portion of it was what made it so affecting plus the animation still held up and I felt for the animated characters. Point Im trying to make is, you can still take cartoons seriously, you just haven't been watching the right ones.

Just got back from watching the movie and I absolutely loved it.

I was crying most of the movie. It was very emotional for me.

Same here for me man. I’m with ya :up:

Only thing I didn’t care for was the use of Spirit during the montage of Simba’s journey back home. Don’t really care for that song.

Years from now, people will realise just how much of a scam these films are....:oldrazz:

Or... Years from now all the older generation outraged by these remakes will realize the remakes never took anything away from the classic movies and they spent way to much energy being upset by what's essentially remastered versions.

Or... Years from now all the older generation outraged by these remakes will realize the remakes never took anything away from the classic movies and they spent way to much energy being upset by what's essentially remastered versions.
One extreme is not better than the other extreme.

But you're right. The originals will still be there. The question is, will future generations even watch them or just stick to the remakes since I assume the anti-animation bias stigma will still be a thing then.

One extreme is not better than the other extreme.

But you're right. The originals will still be there. The question is, will future generations even watch them or just stick to the remakes since I assume the anti-animation bias stigma will still be a thing then.

I don't think there is a bias. We've just made great strides in computer generated animation as well as technical strides in digital effects. Even the classic animation itself consistently became better and better with the addition of digital and computer animated technology. The beauty of these remakes is that regardless of the format all generations can essentially enjoy the same stories.

No, I'd definitely say there's still a lot of people recently who dismiss animation (particularly 2D) as nothing but kid stuff.

Read the previous page, for example.

so.....just got back from seeing this.

it wasn't as bad as some critics have said, but it did feel like something was off or missing. There was a bit of a disconnect given the "photorealism" of the animal characters, which doesn't lend itself well to expression and emotion when the characters talk and sing.

Also, I think the film did feel a bit "derivative" if that's the right word to use. The one part where it did deviate from the original was, inexplicably, Can You Feel the Love Tonight.

I mean, the song literally has the word TONIGHT in the title. The lyrics include the words twilight and evening. And yet, in the movie, the scene was.........IN THE DAYTIME??!!

I mean.....wtf?? That really took me out of the film and out of the song in particular. And I still can't wrap my head around why they would change that, when pretty much the rest of the film was faithful scene by scene.

Did no one bring that up during editing?? "Hey wait a minute, the title and lyrics of the song don't match the way we shot the scene. Hello??!!"

The Lion King is heading for a $1475 mil WW finish.

Can get up to $1550 mil if Japan performs well.

about to go past $1.2b - prob has by the time this is posted.
Was always going to make bank, despite indifferent reviews.
Easily place top 10 all time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"