Jor-El as a villian?

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by NotFadeAway, Jun 3, 2009.

1. NotFadeAway

NotFadeAway Well-Known Member

Okay, Okay, don't start flaming me. I mentioned this in the Superman writers workshop thread, but I'm bored so I thought I'd make a thread to pass time.

I'm not saying this is a route that should be taken, because I'm not sure how I would even feel if it really did happen. But I'm curious, how would you feel if a new writer/director came on the project and turned in a kick ass modern day Superman script that nailed the Birthright/TASFor All Seasons Superman, Lois, the Kents, etc. A script with great attention to character detail, emotion, action, great dialouge, faithful to the modern comics, the whole nine yards except......Jor-El was the villian?

It wouldn't be that hard to pull off. Just have Lara and her father, Sul-Van, send Kal-El to Earth to survive the destruction of Krypton and get away from the evil Jor-El.

I see this going one of two ways. One, it's horribly cliche and very Luke/Vader-esque. Two, it's done in a manner that reeks of awesomeness with powerful emotion and action as Superman attempts to save his adoptive planet from his evil biological father. In my opinion, seeing that Smallville exists now in it's own universe, I wish they would have went this route back when the seeds were planted in season two. Should have taken the gamble, couldn't be any worse than what we have recieved.

2. Blackman

Blackman C'mon Son

3. Excel

Excel O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Yeah no.

4. NotFadeAway

NotFadeAway Well-Known Member

Boredom got the best of me!

5. Webhead2006

Webhead2006 The Web-Swinger

It would be an interesting twist to see done, sorta like in first few seasons of jorel in smallville they made it seem he was a bad guy. But i rather keep the classic jorel.

6. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Blasphemy.....!!!!! Arrrghhhhhh.....LOL

7. Frodo

Frodo Well-Known Member

I don't think Jor El should be a villian but, I do like the tension between Jor El and Kal El shown in the first 4 seasons of SV and in Donner's version of Superman 2. I think an interesting twist would be that Jor El's sole intention is to send Kal El to earth to strictly to survive and maintain the legacy of Krypton and it's culture.

Kal's choice to be a savior of humanity by becoming Superman would be his own and not Jor El's destiny for him as in SV and the Donner films. Clark takes Jor El's teachings but uses them to benefit humanity . In a sense, Clark believes the best way of living up to Krypton's legacy is to save humanity.

This causes a major rift between the two as it expresses Clark human feelings with Jor El 's cold Kryptonian logic . They are both idealistic men but have vastly different idea's about Clark's future and purpose which is a classic father/son dynamic in stories.

I think the Hercules/Zeus , Syndey Bristow and her Dad(Alias), Ra's Al Ghul/Bruce Wayne dynamic (minus the villiany) style relationship is how I would portray it as opposed to Jor El wanting Kal El to be a hero for humans.

8. GreenKToo

GreenKToo In the fire

Well if we're gonna go off the wall here i'll raise the anti, make Lara the villain.

9. Motown Marvel

Motown Marvel Crimson and Clover

what if we made clark kent the villain, and he has to turn into superman to stop himself?! EPICK!

10. Frodo

Frodo Well-Known Member

Well, they already did that with Superman 3.:cwink:Lol.

11. Motown Marvel

Motown Marvel Crimson and Clover

but this time we have CGI!!!!!

okay okay, how about this dramatic twist: superman is the bad, right? like really evil mega bad guy, like he punches pregnant jewish women or something. and the only way to stop him is by having him be clark kent, because as clark he wont have his powers and wont be able to do super powered evil things. and only lois can trick him into being clark by tempting him with her woman stuff. but the real drama is, if he's clark, then theres no superman, and if theres no superman who's gonna stop luthor from stealing the cakes of metropolis?

12. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

SMALLVILLE already did the only thing that would make this work. Having Zod pose as Jor-El. And even that ended up feeling forced and cheesy. I just don't see the point of a Jor-El who's a villain. There are better counterparts who actually ARE villains to use before this would ever become necessary.

13. protocida

protocida Well-Known Member

J.J. Abrams did that.

In his Script, Jor-El was the dictator of Kandor, and had a son called Ty-Zor with another woman. Kandor survived Krypton's explosion thanks to Jor-El's technology, but his wife, Lara, and her father, Saul-Varn, send his newborn son, Kal-El, to Earth, where he was found by the Kents.

In the ending, Superman would depart to Krypton to fight Jor-El, who he believes it's the man who, a prophecy says, will destroy the Universe. He has no idea the real menace prophetized is Lex Luthor.

14. Webhead2006

That was the first draft one right?

15. Scarlet Spider

Scarlet Spider Well-Known Member

No. In the first (and second) draft, Jor-El's brother Kata-Zor was the villain. Jor-El was a good man and fought against his brother in a civil war on Krypton.

16. protocida

Wrong.

In the 1° draft, Kata-Zor and Ty-Zor were the villains, and Jor-El was a good man.

In the 2° draft, Jor-El and Ty-Zor (Who was made his son) we're the villains.

17. Scarlet Spider

Scarlet Spider Well-Known Member

Just going by Latino Review's script review of Abrams' second draft:

http://www.latinoreview.com/script-reviews/superman-returns-11

18. I SEE SPIDEY

I SEE SPIDEY Well-Known Member

Fade, I'm not going to flame you because I like ya but I have to say that I "hate" the idea of Jor-El being evil.

19. protocida

Forget it...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  20. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

Based on what, exactly?

21. Excel

I am with Guard. How do you know this?

T own, or not to own? That tis the question...:hehe:

22. Webhead2006

Ok thanks its been yrs since i read the first draft script of jj so i dont remember all the details of that one. As for the other versions i didnt know of them untill recently.

23. BATZARRO WWD

BATZARRO WWD Campeador Boricua

OOOOO...kay?

Well, I guess if the writers can find a way for Jor El to not be dead on his homeplanet and give him a good motivation for saving his son(if it's out of love, then it's a harder sell to make him evil), it might be possible. Maybe even as a big out of nowhere reveal.

That said, it would take granite bawls to do it.

24. Excel

Put it this way:

ing as I and others here have draft 2 (and draft 1 is online) we can confirm that in draft 2, Kata and Tyzor are the baddies; Jor-el is a good guy.

25. Johnny Drama

Johnny Drama Sex Panther

Jor-El as villian? Not bad, but I would rather see Dark Jimmy Olsen ans Dark Perry White first. They are just so...dark!