Jordan Peele's "Nope"

This was my favorite Peele movie. It was basically his Spielberg flick, with a bunch of anime thrown in for good measure. Super creepy and really funny. After Us, I didn't know if I'd like another one of his flicks, but this one did it for me and then some.

Finally got around to seeing this and this is by far my favorite movie of peel's but the script has problems. I would have made Steven Yeuns character the main protagonist instead. All the setups with the Gordy, while ****ing terrifying, have no real payoff because
he just dies. His character was just fodder for alien like the TMZ dude out of nowhere
I disagree. His payoff comes with what he represents both in terms of the public's draw to spectacle and how his imagined "kinship" with animals compares to OJ. Who while loving and respecting them, also sees them for what they are. Animals, which can kill you.

Finally got around to seeing this. Quite frankly, I thought this was really bad. Some striking visuals here and there, but the script had a lot of issues with the biggest one being it kind of shot itself in the foot with the themes it wanted to have.

Peele's work just isn't it for me.
I'd be really curious to hear what you have to say, in more depth.

90a3cd5d18d5f384c74e0a745dd1135d1ad67bfe.gifv
I marked out:

YCwZ9uT.gif

Jordan Peele doesn't strike me as someone who does extended cuts. What you see on the big screen are his director's cuts.
Yes usually you get longer cuts when the studio interferes in the editing process but Peele pretty much has final say on his projects.

I've got a lot of issues with the script, but just sticking to the overall thematic message of the movie
I think the biggest issue is the plot not agreeing with the theme, so the theme gets muddled. My issue comes almost entirely with the ending of the film. Throughout most of the runtime, the film is clearly trying to make a point that our exploitation of animals for entertainment is clearly wrong. Only, all of sudden we end the film with our characters still exploiting Jean Jacket, but Em also kills it in the process. In the aftermath, it's treated as this awesome moment, and there isn't really any kind of remorse or reflection upon it. The framing of it just seems completely at odds with the rest of the film, and now it just sits in this really awkward middle ground.

And I totally understand why it this was done. Peele prioritized the narrative experience at the end to come up with a satisfying conclusion. Em and OJ getting a picture makes for a feel good moment to close film after having watched them struggle throughout. Reasonable choices, I just don't think it meshes with what the film was trying to say. Cut the picture portion, and you're in much better position. Still have plenty of other scripting issues, but at least there's more cohesion.

There where some cool visuals. But the film itself didnt really interest me, most stuff is really vague.

Last edited:
Yeah not enough development, alot feels empty.
It wasnt really scary or trilling. Signs was a much more trilling film.

I've seen a lot of horror films and this was quite a scary one, in my opinion.

Gordy's birthday and the Star Lasso experience were one of the most horrific and brutal things I've seen on film.

Last edited:
The film also reminded me of Spielbergs War of the Worlds, because of the sound effects and some visuals, but that film is also better in my opinion.

This one didnt work, it had no real effect on me, just some cool visuals sometimes.

Just watched this the other day. Haven’t seen a Jordan Peele film all the way through before, and was completely enthralled from beginning to end. What a blast of a film.

I am completely baffled by people who didn’t like this or thought it was a bad movie. Usually I chalk it up to difference of opinion or just not being there their thing, but I just don’t see it. Like…at all.

Maybe the Jupe subplot could’ve been done a bit differently, but I am really hard-pressed to find anything seriously wrong with this movie. And trust me, I’ve tried looking for it.

Are all of us who loved or liked this movie crazy?

*sigh*

Also, if you didn’t think there were any moments in this that were scary, I don’t want to know you. :o

While I was watching Nope, Jaws and Close Encounters came to my mind. I didn’t even think of Signs quite honestly. That movie never worked for me.

The only Signs scene was the one making a joke about what kind of movie you at first think you’re getting

with the kids dressed as aliens. Which is actually pretty frightening on its own before you realize it’s a ruse.

Just watched this the other day. Haven’t seen a Jordan Peele film all the way through before, and was completely enthralled from beginning to end. What a blast of a film.

I am completely baffled by people who didn’t like this or thought it was a bad movie. Usually I chalk it up to difference of opinion or just not being there their thing, but I just don’t see it. Like…at all.

Maybe the Jupe subplot could’ve been done a bit differently, but I am really hard-pressed to find anything seriously wrong with this movie. And trust me, I’ve tried looking for it.

Are all of us who loved or liked this movie crazy?

*sigh*

Also, if you didn’t think there were any moments in this that were scary, I don’t want to know you. :o

Yeah, I really can't understand how anyone can dislike this. It was the perfect summer blockbuster and probs the best alien horror film, along with War of the Worlds (which remains my favorite one).

Just superb atmosphere and the best night shots I've ever seen on film. Hoytema just knocked it out of the park.

Yeah, I really can't understand how anyone can dislike this. It was the perfect summer blockbuster and probs the best alien horror film, along with War of the Worlds (which remains my favorite one).

Just superb atmosphere and the best night shots I've ever seen on film. Hoytema just knocked it out of the park.

This film was shot, framed, lit and colored so beautifully that multiple times during the film I had to literally stop myself from noticing every single beautiful composition and just enjoy the film. :funny:

Last edited:
This was my favorite Peele movie. It was basically his Spielberg flick, with a bunch of anime thrown in for good measure. Super creepy and really funny. After Us, I didn't know if I'd like another one of his flicks, but this one did it for me and then some.

I disagree. His payoff comes with what he represents both in terms of the public's draw to spectacle and how his imagined "kinship" with animals compares to OJ. Who while loving and respecting them, also sees them for what they are. Animals, which can kill you.

There in lies the core problem with Peele: he cares more about what he wants to say with the story than the story itself. With Get Out, he was able accomplish a solid story with symbolism, he didn't sacrifice one for the other. With "Us" he drops the ball even further than this. The "Why" of that film was so laughably half-assed I literally cackled during the exposition dump.

Last edited:
It’s painfully obvious that the explanation in Us was the studio telling him he had to explain things. That story was intended to be totally allegorical in nature. The second you try to actually explain things it falls apart. For me, it was always the sole negative criticism for that movie, though.

I liked parts of this film, and it had some really well executed scenes and sequences. The cinematography was fantastic. Overall however, I started struggling to maintain interest by half way through. Keke Palmer as Emerald Haywood was lots of fun, but as the other half of the 2 leads OJ was incredibly stoic - almost to the point where the character was coming across as droll.

It's a 6.5/7/10 for me, good but not Peele's best work by any means.

See I am the opposite. I can't understand how anyone would love it. It's a lot of build up for an unsatisfactory pay off for me.

But I am glad some are finding enjoyment in it.

US had a nightmare like quality. It felt like a waking nightmare came merged with 'our' reality.

OJ was very introverted and seemed more comfortable with animals than people but he came out of his shell more the movie went on. Emerald was a lot more social and outgoing.

I think Nope had the best scary 'alien abduction' scene since Fire in the sky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"