Josh Trank Thread

Discussion in 'Fantastic Four World' started by The Overlord, Jan 15, 2013.

1. The Overlord Registered

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread about the man who will direct the next FF film, Josh Trank. Do you think he will do a good job? Is he the right man to direct an FF film? Surly he will do a better job then Tim Story.

2. pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

This is another one I'm extremely curious about. But also quite skeptical.

I'll say one thing though. The intrigue this film has sparked in me is somewhat unprecedented. They have my full attention at this point.

3. Silvermoth Krakoan native

I just don't want it to fail so that we don't have to suffer through the puns.

'Fantastic Four tranks at the Box office". LOLOLOLOL

4. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

I remember the first time I saw Memento, I thought: "Wow! This director is really good."

And we've seen what Christopher Nolan has done since then. If you go back and look at some of the early films of directors who ended up being great, you can generally see a certain something.

Great directors can take simple stories and tell them in fresh and interesting ways, and I think we saw some clear evidence of that in Chronicle.

I feel reasonably confident that Trank is a good director, but that doesn't ensure he can do a film like FF - I felt exactly the same way when I heard Nolan when I heard he was doing Batman.

Trank's history is far too brief to make any firm judgemets at this point, but I feel about as good as I could about any director with a similarly limited track-record.

5. Kelly #RESIST

I have seen nothing from this guy...so I will simply be "hopeful"...

6. 747 Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Chronicle was great, I'm confident in Trank at this point.

7. TheWiseGuy487 Feelin’ blue (???) (Undecided/still figuring out)

8. YoungPrime Registered

The problem is not the director as much as it is the studio who hired him...

If he pulls a Mathew Vaughn right before filming starts, I'll watch any other film he directs next in 3D twice and buy the Blu-ray!

9. YoungPrime Registered

How about "Josh, we Marvel fan's Trank you for backing out of this F4 reboot!"

10. Project862006 Registered

can you do nothing but ruin fox marvel film threads

this is not the thread for you to bash fox go to another thread i know that is all you do but come on now

this forum has one just made for you:whatever:
    http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=451501

11. Kelly #RESIST

And you are not going to turn this little conversation into a flame war between the two of you which you have done in other threads. So if you don't like the guys posts, PUT HIM ON IGNORE.

Move on...

12. Project862006 Registered

ok just seen chronicle for the first time on HBO

HOLY ****

my anticipation for this film just shot up big time chronicle was a phenomenal film with a great smart script and top notch direction even the action was amazing on it's low budget

cant wait to see what trank does with F4

13. YoungPrime Registered

With all of the other projects Josh Trank is tied to I wonder where he finds the time.

14. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Chronicle was really a good movie! I enjoyed it a lot!

I hope Josh Trank will do an amazing job directing this reboot! Its time for the Fantastic 4 to shine!

15. mclay18 Registered

Chronicle was surprisingly good. If you have the time, check it out.

16. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

I can't think of any other films released over the past couple years by first time directors that stand out in the way Chronicle did.

I'd stop short of calling it a great film, but the directing in particular showed talent and creativity. That's why so many people were interested in him and, while I can think of many experienced, proven directors that I might prefer, I'd have a very hard time thinking of sophomore director I would prefer.

17. Gabe99 Registered

Fantastic Four Movie To Include Jack Kirby And Stan Lee Stuff

From George Koury's The Extraordinary Works of Alan Moore:
    Page 110:

18. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

:up:

The opening of FF #1 does have a creepy edge to it. Reed is a shadowy, mysterious figure, and when we first see Ben, he makes a frightening impression.

I wouldn't use 'dark' in the way it has become cliche for these films - brooding, moping, 'woe is me' and everything sucks, but I think a certain air of mystery is very appropriate for the characters, the science-fiction and the mood Stan and Jack were clearly trying to capture at points.

A lot of the depth and experimentation that Stan and Jack were doing can get lost because of the styles of the times and short deadlines they had towork within, but there are a lot of interesting elements there.

The right creative minds could create some really cool things by understanding and updating the key elements.

If you think about the scene in the first film of Ben transforming, that could have been a wonderfully intense moment - in the hands of a better director.

19. Kelly #RESIST

Oh come on....you know they had to cut to Johnny with his shirt off, a coat around his butt, snapping his fingers to make fire. That was sooooooo much more intense and riveting.

20. pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

The production team so far:

Director:
    Josh Trank (Chronicle)
    Producer:
    Matthew Vaughn (Kick-Ass, X:Men First Class)
    Writers:
    Seth Grahame-Smith (Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter)
    Jeremy Slater

So it could be worse imo. It should also be pointed out that none of these attachments really prove the movie will be made, let alone made properly. We'll have to wait and see.

21. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

:funny:

Just to be a little more precise, here are the writing credits listed on IMDB:

Seth Grahame-Smith revisions
    Jack Kirby characters
    Stan Lee characters
    Ashley Miller
    Jeremy Slater screenplay
    Jeremy Slater story
    Zack Stentz
    Josh Trank story

Stentz and Miller did Thor and X-Men First Class. Slater is mostly unknown and Grahame-Smith's biggest credits are a bit questionable in genre (Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and Dark Shadows). And Trank had writing credit on Chronicle.

I don't know the details, but I'm a bit concerned by so many writing credits. It could be a bad sign that they need to keep re-working it.

At this point, I think we have to put faith in Trank to make the right decisions. Hopefully he'll have a good script to start with and just make it better from there. But if he receives a mediocre script, he may need to lift the story to where it needs to be.

I'm convinced that a talented director could have done great things with the first two scripts. The basic raw materials were there, but Tim Story ddn't tell the stories in a way that did them justice.

#21 Willie Lumpkin, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  22. Kelly #RESIST

What are you laughing for.....I was serious. :cmad: :oldrazz:

23. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

I apologize. Johnny without a shirt was neither intense nor riveting to me, so I presumed a jest on your part.:woot:

24. Project862006 Registered

first class had just as many better to keep working to get it write than to just settle

25. pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

I think the idea is that Jeremy Slater is supposed to be this great writer who we just haven't seen hit it big yet. (Thats what I've read anyway.) And so we just needed revisions to make it either A. More entertaining or B. Fox Marvel-verse worthy, which I sincerely hope isn't anything huge.