Joss Whedon/HBO Sci-Fi Series ‘The Nevers’

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by James.B, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Elayis Registered

Could be good. Always been a fan of Whedon's, so it'll be nice to see him working from a bigger canvas on the small screen.

2. Dr. From parts unknown

3. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

Well I guess that's a 2020 release then. I'm glad this is actually happening. I thought this would just stay an announcement.

4. ThePowerCosmic Hyped Up

Great to hear.

5. terry78 We are the Flintstone Kids

Team Whedon being behind it mamesit worth a look.

6. Dr. From parts unknown

According to a Tweet from Whedon, filming has begun on The Nevers.

(I won’t embed the Tweet as it contains a mild swear word. Not at the Chris Evans in the Knives Out trailer level. But just in case… :cwink:)

7. Dr. From parts unknown

8. Pennywise Registered

9. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Im surprised it wasnt just cancelled. But exciting change? Come on Joss...you dont leave your baby because of exciting change.

10. SwordOfMorning Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?

You're not going to cancel a mostly or entirely filmed big-budget show because the showrunner left. It could still wind up being a hit, Espenson or I'm sure other members of the writing team for it would make entirely worthy showrunners.

Such a shame. Unless they're preparing for worse stuff to come out this is super embarrassing if it's AT&T being so adverse to controversy they forced Whedon out over allegations literally only one tiny portion of the internet gives a **** about.

childeroland likes this.
  11. Fincher Coming Undone

I mean, Whedon wasn't actually the showrunner for Angel, so the show can continue without him.

GREEN =w= DAY likes this.
  12. SwordOfMorning Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?

For sure, but he was actively involved and wrote/directed for it with reasonable frequency. This is a bit different as it sounds like he'll have no involvement in future seasons.

13. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Well yeah, Angel was never set up for Joss to fully run. And with next to no news about this show, how is anyone supposed to know how far they are in the process? Hollywood wastes $$ and cancels shows that have shot multiple episodes that never make it to air all the time. It's part of the industry.

14. Filmfreak Registered

Why are they reporting it has finished casting? Aren't they done with filming?

15. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

This doesn't sound like it was his choice. Because he's exhausted? An experienced showrunner and film director suddenly exits a show with a very short and concise statement from Warner Media?

Something doesn't smell right. I can't say if it's because of the investigation, but it seems like it's a cover for something.

Primal Slayer likes this.
  16. SwordOfMorning Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?

Yeah, I’ve read a couple times in articles about the Depp situation that AT&T is intensely averse to controversy. Such a shame if this is because of Fisher’s ****-stirring, unless anything super serious drops.

17. Dr. From parts unknown

Yeah, it’s a little weird that the series is described as if it was only in the planning/casting phase. According to prior reports (see earlier posts), production/principal photography began in July of 2019 and was still in progress as of January 2020. Of course, the pandemic no doubt slowed things down. But one assumes that a good chunk of season 1 was “in the can” and that sfx/post-production was underway.

#43 Dr., Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  18. Filmfreak Registered

I was looking again to prior news on the show and saw that Nick Frost confirmed recently that he was done filming his parts for the season and Kate Reid who was doing the cinematography posted two weeks ago that they wrapped. So I don't get what CinemaBlend is reporting and even Whedon himself is saying. Are they trying to make it like he was barely involved, for publicity reasons?

19. Sithborg Dark Forces Return

Here's the thing, if the allegations are true, a WHOLE lot more people than just those that follow the JL will care.

20. SwordOfMorning Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?

If the allegations of racism, which are the most questionable aspect of Fisher's allegations, are confirmed then sure - justifiable outrage would ensue. Whedon being a jerk no the set of a movie no one outside of DC fandom gives a **** would absolutely blow over.

If they found out Whedon was being an abusive jerk on the set of The Nevers specifically? Great, he absolutely should have stepped down. That behavior is super unnecessary and overly coddled in the entertainment industry.

I'm not sure there's a big Hollywood movie as fundamentally negative as Justice League. It's just an absolute pointless, cancerous creation.

21. GREEN =w= DAY Registered

Yep

And Angel was in good hands without Whedon’s direct involvement. One of those rare shows that kept getting better each season. I’m still bitter it got cancelled lol

metaphysician likes this.
  22. SwordOfMorning Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?

Angel season 5 is my favourite season and Not Fade Away is probably my favourite episode so, personally, ending where it did feels like a blessing to me. Went out on a crazy high. But, yeah, Whedon always assembles a great team of writers so if the first season works I'm sure it has a solid future.

Maybe it's a side-effect of mostly being active in superhero fandom lately but it feels strange and unfortunate to me how Whedon's hit and miss, sometimes kinda bland (though there is far, far richer character work and meatier writing in the best parts of his Avengers films than the Russo's) superhero films now overshadow his absolutely revolutionary television work. The way people talk you'd think he was grown in a vat by Disney to make Avengers movies then went straight over to WB to ruin Ray Fisher's life and sabotage the great and holy works of Godking Snyder.

23. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

WB has had practically nothing but controversy this past year so I can see AT&T being tired of it. All the firings they've done is crazy.

24. TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

The thing about being that averse to controversy is that it's going to inevitably lead to a situation where they don'twant to act on something, but must because they set a precedent for it.

I do feel sadness for Joss even though a fell out of love with his work a while ago. Based on that statement he's not in a good place. Hope the time to himself is fruitful.