• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Joss Whedon's Wonder Woman

weren't the bracelets a sign of the oppression of the amazonians by men pre-crisis? They were handcuffs. I think that may have been way too preachy today.

I was never really happy to hear Whedon was working on :ww: and was glad to see him gone. It would have been interesting to see what he had as far as a script, but that's as far as it goes.

As far as the bracelets go, I believe JLA Classified #37 explained it pretty well. I may be wrong about the issue # though. The Gauntlets of Submission, as they were refered to, kept the Amazons in check and to remove them would lauch them into a berzerker rage. I think there's a way to use that to the movie's advantage.

Major, I think 04nbod was speaking more to the message of the Amazons more than anything else, but correct me if I'm wrong. While Men, in general, have treated Women in a supressive and derrogatory manner, there have been cultures where gender wasn't a means to hold back or keep down one gender in particular. Women and Men were treated equally and were judged by what they abilities were. If they were able providers for the village, born leaders or teachers, etc. Working together for the betterment of the whole was more important than who could lift the most or run the fastest.

I was never really happy to hear Whedon was working on and was glad to see him gone. It would have been interesting to see what he had as far as a script, but that's as far as it goes.

I agree.

He'd be a much better director IMO.

As far as the bracelets go, I believe JLA Classified #37 explained it pretty well. I may be wrong about the issue # though. The Gauntlets of Submission, as they were refered to, kept the Amazons in check and to remove them would lauch them into a berzerker rage. I think there's a way to use that to the movie's advantage.

The berserker rage has been phased out by Crisis. I don't think that concept is going to go over with era, either.

It's to much like the myth that women go into rages when they have PMS. That doesn't strengthen WW with the public, it could be made into a weakness to damage the franchise's credibility by critics.

The bracelets in the current era held no magic power over Amazons. They were just normal bracelets Hercules used to enslave and rape the Amazons with centuries ago. That whole incident is why some of them don't trust or hate men. The majority don't do this, of course.

Major, I think 04nbod was speaking more to the message of the Amazons more than anything else, but correct me if I'm wrong.

You’re right.

What I disagree with 04nbod about is that it should be usable as long as it isn’t preachy.

That’s what WB needs to realize for WW to work. It is never preachy or campy or silly. A good WW isn’t defined by those elements even if they are in the story.

While Men, in general, have treated Women in a supressive and derrogatory manner, there have been cultures where gender wasn't a means to hold back or keep down one gender in particular. Women and Men were treated equally and were judged by what they abilities were. If they were able providers for the village, born leaders or teachers, etc. Working together for the betterment of the whole was more important than who could lift the most or run the fastest.

That fits the Amazons description.

However, their past before they came to Themyscira was that they were so accomplished as a society the other tribes envied and feared them.

I’m of two minds with this. On the one hand I’d like it included in some way, but only in an updated fashion which isn’t preaching. Its expendable.

It is a tough tightrope for the film makers to do that. But that’s WW. She isn’t an ordinary franchise. It needs the best to make her work. If WB can’t find them or can’t be bothered searching for them it shouldn’t go ahead until it’s absolutely sure they can do the franchise justice. That’s why it’s important for the film makers to understand the franchise correctly.

Wonder Woman: Details on Joss Whedon’s Cancelled Movie Adaptation
Molly Freeman said:
For an in-depth piece on the legacy of DC Comics’ Wonder Woman, Whedon spoke with Empire about his cancelled project. The film would have been set in modern day and featured Diana Prince leaving her home of Themyscira with the character’s comic book love interest Steve Trevor to deal with real-world problems like drug dealers in Gateway City. Whedon said:
I worked really hard on that movie and it meant a lot [to me], but I don’t know if what I was trying to do would fit in with what [the studio’s] vision is. I had a take on the film that, well, nobody liked… We just saw different movies, and at the price range this kind of movie hangs in, that’s never gonna work.

As much as I like Whedon. This was not for him.

Yeah WB dodged a bullet on this one.

Yeah WB dodged a bullet on this one.
We will see it his June.

As for Whedon's take, I have one problem with it - if they skip to the present day, means either she didn't do anything in 40s and was just hiding on the island for 70 years, or they just skip it, leaving for some future prequels or something... I'd love to see his Wonder Woman.

Wonder Woman: Details on Joss Whedon’s Cancelled Movie Adaptation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Freeman
For an in-depth piece on the legacy of DC Comics’ Wonder Woman, Whedon spoke with Empire about his cancelled project. The film would have been set in modern day and featured Diana Prince leaving her home of Themyscira with the character’s comic book love interest Steve Trevor to deal with real-world problems like drug dealers in Gateway City. Whedon said:
Quote:
I worked really hard on that movie and it meant a lot [to me], but I don’t know if what I was trying to do would fit in with what [the studio’s] vision is. I had a take on the film that, well, nobody liked… We just saw different movies, and at the price range this kind of movie hangs in, that’s never gonna work.

Sounds a lot like the failed NBC Wonder Woman TV show pilot.

Whedon's WW would have got a good RT rating though.

The script leaked like three or four years ago. Strange there's no mention of it in this thread...

Whedon's WW would have got a good RT rating though.

Maybe. In general RT is kind to the DC Comics based TV shows, with scores in the high 60% all the way to 100% for a few of them. Much kinder to them than the DCEU movies.

Sounds a lot like the failed NBC Wonder Woman TV show pilot.

Yeah I don't know which was the bigger bullet that was dodged? The NBC Wonder Woman show or Whedon's Wonder Woman.

Maybe. In general RT is kind to the DC Comics based TV shows, with scores in the high 60% all the way to 100% for a few of them. Much kinder to them than the DCEU movies.
depends on your point of view. for me, anything higher than 20% for the DCEU films is very kind, almost tame for how I would rate them. but your opinion might be different in that regard

TV rt ratings are different from film ratings. The critic usually just review the premiere episode and film critics are harsher and reviews for TV show episodes are fewer. Now imagine those film critics reviewing an entire full season of a DC show. There could be a huge difference to its rating now.

Between this and Black Widow, Whedon really likes pitching female comic book movies

I imagine he will until its something nobody would comment about. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BadlyDrawnKano
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"