Jude Law IS ????

Dark Raven

It's not about what you deserve...
Reaction score
This thread is for Mar-Vell, the male Kree hero who originally bears the name Captain Marvel.

Who do you want cast as him, and when should he appear in the MCU? How should he die? In the same way as the comics or more heroically in battle (eg at the end of Avengers: Infinity War Part 1) so that it leads directly into Carol's movie afterwards and focuses on her without having it be too much of an origin tale?

I'd say that they either need a big star as Mar-Vell, or an immediately likeable actor who seems like leading man material and could easily have been the star of his own franchise had Marvel decided to go that way.

Perhaps someone like Armie Hammer as Mar-Vell?

I agree you need an instantly likable actor. Someone with equal amounts of dramatic gravitas and action hero screen presence. Also someone who is willing to take a smaller role. I kind of like Timothy Olyphant for it.

Narrative time; somewhere between Abin Sur and Obi Wan.

Hiding on Earth as a scientist working at either NASA or Marvel's Area 51. Carol, former Air Force, former CIA, works security under Abigail Brand. Mar-Vell is a white Kree rebel undercover on Earth to protect it from blue skinned purists. He is martyred protecting Carol and unknowingly grants her some of his power so she takes up his fight

BTW, should his name be Mar-Vell in the MCU, or would audiences find that too corny (since it could almost sound like Marvel are now blowing their own trumpet by naming a character after themselves)?

But I would prefer he keeps his Mar-Vell name. I don't want them to change his name to Genis (rhymes with Penis?) Vell just for the sake of sounding more serious.

Carol is a very humorous character IMO. I think she would have a lot of fun with a guy literally named Mar-Vell

Carol is a very humorous character IMO. I think she would have a lot of fun with a guy literally named Mar-Vell

Maybe she should be the one to name him "Captain Marvel". He could try to correct her at first, but she could just roll her eyes and say "whatever".

I always assumed that's how it happened anyway, whether it was Carol or someone else. His real name sounds like Marvel so it stuck.

A couple of questions come to mind:

- Should there actually be pink Kree in the MCU, or should his human appearance be due to some type of disguise? I'd prefer the later.

- Do we want the older "silvertop" version from his original appearances (like Clooney, or Day-Lewis), or the younger blond-haired, square-jawed "classic" appearance of Mar-Vell (along the lines of Aaron Eckhart)? And why? I'd prefer the first, for several reasons.

A couple of questions come to mind:

- Should there actually be pink Kree in the MCU, or should his human appearance be due to some type of disguise? I'd prefer the later.

- Do we want the older "silvertop" version from his original appearances (like Clooney, or Day-Lewis), or the younger blond-haired, square-jawed "classic" appearance of Mar-Vell (along the lines of Aaron Eckhart)? And why? I'd prefer the first, for several reasons.

I think he should be a Caucasian skin tone for sure.

Brad Pitt would be a cool choice.
I always saw him as Bob Reynolds but this would do.

I also like the idea of him playing an important role in Avengers Infinty War and ultimately dying/passing on the torch to Carol, who for some reason can't stick around earth and needs to do a space mission during the ongoing Infinity crisis, coming back in time for part 2.

I think he should be a Caucasian skin tone for sure.
Well yes, but naturally (a "pink" race of Kree), or as a disguise (which I think is how the Ultimate universe handles it)? IMO, unless Kree racism has a part to play in plot, the former seems an unnecessary distinction.

So we want Mar-Vell to die heroically in battle (maybe sacrificing himself) rather than just dying slowly of cancer from exposure to Compound 13 nerve gas?

They could still use nerve gas but he just dies quickly from it similar to Spock or Kirk in either STII:TWOK or STID respectively.

But for it to really resonate, he needs to be introduced earlier, like in GOTG2.

Brad Pitt could work I guess. He would fit both the older Mar-Vell version and the heroic blond version as well. He would be a big star to support the main actress who might be more of an unknown. Only thing is that if he dies before the Captain Marvel movie, then he won't be in it except perhaps in flashbacks.

Shouldn't this thread be titled the Phil Coulson thread? :cwink:

But for it to really resonate, he needs to be introduced earlier, like in GOTG2.
I fully expect we'll have seen him in some capacity by the end of IW1, but GotG2 might realistically be too early (but I'd still be down for some type of easter egg reference to him there).

I fully expect we'll have seen him in some capacity by the end of IW1, but GotG2 might realistically be too early (but I'd still be down for some type of easter egg reference to him there).

But storywise he ought to come in there, because he's had dealings with Drax before and it would really be the perfect place to introduce him, even if he's not a big role yet. He needs to have his moment to shine though in one movie prior to IW1 (if that's where he dies) because otherwise it just looks like they introduced a character in that movie whose sole purpose is to bite the dust.

If he's built up as a fan favourite before then, then his death will resonate far more, and we'll feel the huge weight of the burden on Carol's shoulders even more pronouncedly.

But storywise he ought to come in there, because he's had dealings with Drax before and it would really be the perfect place to introduce him, even if he's not a big role yet. He needs to have his moment to shine though in one movie prior to IW1 (if that's where he dies) because otherwise it just looks like they introduced a character in that movie whose sole purpose is to bite the dust.

If he's built up as a fan favourite before then, then his death will resonate far more, and we'll feel the huge weight of the burden on Carol's shoulders even more pronouncedly.
Wait... I must've missed it; when did we speculate he was dying in IW1? Though I suppose if he did, I could see what you're saying taking place. Certainly, thematically, he could fit (depending on the plot of GotG2).

But I wasn't expecting him to die until CM.

BTW, my template for Mar-Vell is a sort of "alien James Bond".

Mar-Vell will probably first appear, and die, in Captain Marvel. I don't see him being a big presence beyond this movie.

Wait... I must've missed it; when did we speculate he was dying in IW1? Though I suppose if he did, I could see what you're saying taking place. Certainly, thematically, he could fit (depending on the plot of GotG2).

But I wasn't expecting him to die until CM.

BTW, my template for Mar-Vell is a sort of "alien James Bond".

I was speculating he could die at the end of Infinity War 1. That way it would allow CM to focus solely on Carol. But from a business point of view they might want Mar-Vell in CM so that they also have a male lead to support the actress.

But he could just be mentor to her in CM and have already been incapacitated by the end of IW1, otherwise it means that it could take a whole movie for Carol to suit up and would only become Captain Marvel in the last act, which we don't want. If Mar-Vell can't be the heroic lead any longer because he's injured, it would make way for Carol to do all the heroics right from the start.

More Avengers need to die so having Cap Marvel appear in GotG2 & A:IW1 and then die in CM would be great and having the right actor would bring more $ to the film. Pays respect to all the fans of the original Captain Marvel. Then Carol can take the film over from there around the 30 min mark.

More Avengers need to die so having Cap Marvel appear in GotG2 & A:IW1 and then die in CM would be great and having the right actor would bring more $ to the film. Pays respect to all the fans of the original Captain Marvel. Then Carol can take the film over from there around the 30 min mark.

Yes, and in this case it would be completely appropriate for him to die and fans wouldn't be too upset (they'd be more upset if he didn't die).

But he can't just show up in CM and die otherwise there is less of an emotional resonance. We need to feel more invested in him over the course of a few movies. Maybe in GOTG2 or A:IW1 he needs to do something really heroic that endears him to audiences.

I'm completely convinced that both he and Carol will have roles in Infinity War Part 1, if not earlier in the MCU. The placement of the CM movie in between the two Infinity War installments (along with Inhumans, of course) practically guarantees that something in IW1 has to lead directly into Captain Marvel, imo. I mean, they can't just drop Part 1 of this huge crossover event and just go back to business as usual for 2 movies while we wait for Part 2. So CM has to follow-up on something that happens in IW1, imo, which is why I think we might get a good chunk of Carol's origin story with Mar-Vell in that film.

Last edited:
I can't see them doing part of Carol's origin in another film. It should be contained to her movie. Not that there won't be some connection between IW and Captain Marvel I just don't think it will involve her origin.

I can't see them doing part of Carol's origin in another film. It should be contained to her movie. Not that there won't be some connection between IW and Captain Marvel I just don't think it will involve her origin.
Well, there have been those reports of Marvel's new approach being "no more origin films." We know Stephen Strange is already active in the MCU and it seems Black Panther probably will be, too, so it's starting to feel like that might have some weight.

But even if they don't do the origin in IW1 and still put the whole thing in the CM movie, I'm still quite confident that both Carol and Mar-Vell will be present in IW1, if only to set the stage for her origin.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"