Jude Law IS ????

The thing about getting matt Damon for mar-vell is you would need to get an actress of equal or greater star power to play carol so that it doesn't just become the matt Damon show featuring carol Danvers

Well the same could have been thought of putting Chris Hemsworth alongside Anthony Hopkins, who is clearly in another acting league. And yet, it didn't happen that way. Nor did that happen with other films where the lead actor was less known, like Superman, for instance.

But anyway, I wouldn't really want Matt Damon as Mar-Vell personally. I'd like someone a bit more imposing and taller in the same height region as Evans or Hemsworth.

The thing about getting matt Damon for mar-vell is you would need to get an actress of equal or greater star power to play carol so that it doesn't just become the matt Damon show featuring carol Danvers
Other Marvel movies have pretty much disproved this, though. Surrounding lesser-known leads with big name stars works just fine.

What are the chances of Mar-vell being a co-star with Carol, without powers, for the entire movie, who dies fighting the antagonist during the finale, but whose powers are then transferred to Danvers, who goes on to defeat the villain and is now set up to join the Avengers and for solo films by the end? Yes, there are good reasons not to take this approach, but it would establish Mar-vell's legacy in the MCU, and be a bit of a swerve for the audience expecting the Kree warrior to make it to the end and continue on. Plus Carol's badass bona fides would be apparent BEFORE she get's empowered by being the co-star that survives all the super hero craziness.

I don't think anyone is going to want to see a movie about Carol where she doesn't have powers for the entire movie and only gets them at the end or in the post-credits sequence in time for Avengers.

Whether or not audiences are expecting his death, that still makes the Captain Marvel of the title refer to Mar-Vell and the film is essentially about him. It will not really be Marvel Studio's first female superhero film because she won't be one yet. That completely defeats the purpose of it.

I don't think anyone is going to want to see a movie about Carol where she doesn't have powers for the entire movie and only gets them at the end or in the post-credits sequence in time for Avengers.

Whether or not audiences are expecting his death, that still makes the Captain Marvel of the title refer to Mar-Vell and the film is essentially about him. It will not really be Marvel Studio's first female superhero film because she won't be one yet. That completely defeats the purpose of it.

As I said, I am aware of why there are good reasons against it. That said, I don't think any body really has the slightest idea about Carol's actual history or standing in super hero circles in the least. The fan press make much of her status as a powerful female hero, but the GA is clueless. So, why not play into that cluelessness? "Oh, you think this story is about the male co-star with the flashy powers and cool alien name? Sorry... It was actually all about the human woman next to him who was destined to become a powerful super heroine in her own right. " Having her relationship with Mar-vell last through the majority of the run time (I didn't say anything about a post cred scene or the like) deepens the moment when she does take the name Capt Marvel as tribute and as I said makes the Kree Captain an important part of Carol's back story. If Obi-won is being used as a template, well, remember, he's there through about 3/4s of A NEW HOPE. It's not at the halfway point really. Save Mar-vell's death for much later in the run time gives him some weight, plus the connection he and Carol has would be that much deeper.

As I said, I am aware of why there are good reasons against it. That said, I don't think any body really has the slightest idea about Carol's actual history or standing in super hero circles in the least. The fan press make much of her status as a powerful female hero, but the GA is clueless. So, why not play into that cluelessness? "Oh, you think this story is about the male co-star with the flashy powers and cool alien name? Sorry... It was actually all about the human woman next to him who was destined to become a powerful super heroine in her own right. " Having her relationship with Mar-vell last through the majority of the run time (I didn't say anything about a post cred scene or the like) deepens the moment when she does take the name Capt Marvel as tribute and as I said makes the Kree Captain an important part of Carol's back story. If Obi-won is being used as a template, well, remember, he's there through about 3/4s of A NEW HOPE. It's not at the halfway point really. Save Mar-vell's death for much later in the run time gives him some weight, plus the connection he and Carol has would be that much deeper.

Marvel are not going to market this movie as Mar-Vell's story initially and then play on your expectations and say that this is actually about the human woman next to him. They're going to market it as their first female superhero movie. A woman with powers who displays those powers in the film.

Otherwise they could have made a Thor film and said, "you think Thor is the hero of this movie? Well in fact the true hero who saves the day is Jane Foster because of her bravery and courage." Or they could've done the same thing with Pepper Potts in Iron Man. This is however just about the courage or ordinary human women who rise above their circumstances.

It would be a complete cop out on Marvel's part and would still essentially be about a male superhero and not at all about an actual female superhero. It would also be heavily criticised by the media. All the other male heroes are allowed to be super powered, but when it comes to women, they still have to play second fiddle to a super powered male and can't even be the proper superhero of their own movie. Marvel would be accused of having no real intention of actually making a proper female superhero film.

Marvel are not going to market this movie as Mar-Vell's story initially and then play on your expectations and say that this is actually about the human woman next to him. They're going to market it as their first female superhero movie. A woman with powers who displays those powers in the film.

Otherwise they could have made a Thor film and said, "you think Thor is the hero of this movie? Well in fact the true hero who saves the day is Jane Foster because of her bravery and courage." Or they could've done the same thing with Pepper Potts in Iron Man. This is however just about the courage or ordinary human women who rise above their circumstances.

It would be a complete cop out on Marvel's part and would still essentially be about a male superhero and not at all about an actual female superhero. It would also be heavily criticised by the media. All the other male heroes are allowed to be super powered, but when it comes to women, they still have to play second fiddle to a super powered male and can't even be the proper superhero of their own movie. Marvel would be accused of having no real intention of actually making a proper female superhero film.
Except that Thor doesn't die in the back story of Jane who gets empowered to become her own hero after. I think Marvell needs some focus so that he isn't just an Abin Sur card board cut out, not for the sake of his character, but for Carol's. I think an approach that might play against expectations while still showing us how competent Carol is before getting powers would be a dufferent take on the origin story. I know there are good reasons to poo-poo that, but I think off the beaten path is what suits Carol more than the standard origin path. YMMV

I firmly believe Mar-Vell's most prominent role in this story will have already been played by the end of Infinity War, Part 1. CM will be undeniably Carol's movie, I'm confident in that.

So is this the captain marvel with billy batson or a different hero?

I just came across this image online. Lol!

liid_150__captain_marvels__by_johntrumbull-d6gdgbg.jpg

I firmly believe Mar-Vell's most prominent role in this story will have already been played by the end of Infinity War, Part 1. CM will be undeniably Carol's movie, I'm confident in that.

Makes sense.

CM comes shortly after Infinty War part 1. Best thing would be to prominently feature Mar-Vell in that movie and set up Carol being given the powers near the end.

Thanos is godlike at this point and she's been sent on a mission to space to acquire something that might help in the battle against Thanos.

I just came across this image online. Lol!

liid_150__captain_marvels__by_johntrumbull-d6gdgbg.jpg

:hehe:

BTW, with all these abbreviations like IW and CM, I feel one of these days I'm going to make the mistake of referring to this as the CW lol.

How about introducing Mar-vell in GOTG2? Have him as either antagonist to or ally of the team? Get to establish him, and the Kree in a much bigger canvas, have him then in INFINITY WAR 1, and intro Carol in CAPTAIN MARVEL as per flickchick, and she takes the ball, story wise into the INHUMANS film in some way, post credit scene or in the mix somehow plot wise, and then onto INFINITY WAR 2? Marv-ell and the Kree get some time to be established, maybe even elements of the more out there cosmic beings like Eon or get into Mar-Vell's connection to the Titans? This way he is established in at least two films before he gets offed in the course of introducing Carol in her film.

How about introducing Mar-vell in GOTG2? Have him as either antagonist to or ally of the team? Get to establish him, and the Kree in a much bigger canvas, have him then in INFINITY WAR 1, and intro Carol in CAPTAIN MARVEL as per flickchick, and she takes the ball, story wise into the INHUMANS film in some way, post credit scene or in the mix somehow plot wise, and then onto INFINITY WAR 2? Marv-ell and the Kree get some time to be established, maybe even elements of the more out there cosmic beings like Eon or get into Mar-Vell's connection to the Titans? This way he is established in at least two films before he gets offed in the course of introducing Carol in her film.

That sounds good to me. I think he should be introduced earlier than the Captain Marvel film to establish him so he doesn't just feel like cannon fodder. Whedon normally sets up characters in advance that he plans to kill off so that there is more of an emotional resonance and they don't just feel like a red shirt.

What are the chances of Mar-vell being a co-star with Carol, without powers, for the entire movie, who dies fighting the antagonist during the finale, but whose powers are then transferred to Danvers, who goes on to defeat the villain and is now set up to join the Avengers and for solo films by the end? Yes, there are good reasons not to take this approach, but it would establish Mar-vell's legacy in the MCU, and be a bit of a swerve for the audience expecting the Kree warrior to make it to the end and continue on. Plus Carol's badass bona fides would be apparent BEFORE she get's empowered by being the co-star that survives all the super hero craziness.

I once liked this idea. At this point, I think we need all the super-powered Carol we can get. She should get her powers at the end of the first act like anyone else. If that. Depending on how they do it, Mar-Vell could die in Infinity War pt I and Carol might start her movie with powers.

Yeah, I really don't think Mar-Vell should even have any superpowers in the MCU. Just his regular Kree strength (perhaps a notch below pre-orb Ronan) coupled with military training and experience, along with whatever high-tech gadgets or ray-guns he might need. At the most, maybe his armor could be a bit like an IM suit (but if so, he should spend most of the time out of it).

Yeah, I really don't think Mar-Vell should even have any superpowers in the MCU. Just his regular Kree strength (perhaps a notch below pre-orb Ronan) coupled with military training and experience, along with whatever high-tech gadgets or ray-guns he might need. At the most, maybe his armor could be a bit like an IM suit (but if so, he should spend most of the time out of it).

THAT could be really interesting. I never thought of that, Carol being more powerful than Mar-Vell, but that does address a lot of issues and solve a lot of problems. Also agree on the IM suit (Ultimate Captain Marvel uniform) with an undersuit (classic Mar-Vell uniform) that he's usually in.

I wonder how they'll off him? Either by dying in a moment of glory or dying of cancer?

I hope he's dreamy

THAT could be really interesting. I never thought of that, Carol being more powerful than Mar-Vell, but that does address a lot of issues and solve a lot of problems.
It's an interesting idea, and one that I could see working given the nature of the Psyche-Magnetron device. That is, since the rays from the device are supposed to manifest whatever the user can conjure in their mind using all known forms of Kree genetic/molecular alteration abilities, then when it explodes and Mar-Vell protects Carol, her powers could come not just from her DNA melding with his, but also from his thoughts - wanting her to be protected and to be able to handle/adapt to the energy blast. Hell, the power of flight could come from HER thoughts, since the freedom of flight is basically the one true desire of her life. I mean, it might be a bit too "Magic Lamp"-y, but I can imagine how it could work.

As for how he dies, I wouldn't want him to die instantly, but maybe slowly from the residual effects of the blast. That way you get some of the poignancy of the "dying of cancer" storyline, but also still move on to Carol more quickly. It would also give him the chance to properly "pass the torch" to her, so to speak.

Last edited:

Right. If people don't think Marvel is going to promote the hell out of the "This is finally a movie about a woman superhero" aspect then they're dreaming.

I understand why Mar-Vell's fans are annoyed at the prospect of him being passed over but a Carol Danvers movie where Carol spends most of the movie as a non-powered love interest is a complete cop-out.

Besides which the only real rationale for it seems to be "That's how it was in the comics" when the MCU movies have already shown they're willing to take some major liberties with the established comic canon.

Also, with the fan casting of Jessica Chastain as Carol, she would never put up with that kind of approach herself. She said in her interview:

"...here’s the thing with me… If you’re going to be in a superhero movie, you only get one chance. You’re that character forever. So why do a superhero movie and play the boring civilian?”

I hope Mar-Vell is a blue-skinned Kree for the whole of his appearances. I prefer his ultimate look rather than just looking like a space human.

Mar-vell has fans?

Why is that surprising? He was a key player in some big events in Marvel with connections to a host of Marvel's A-List heroes and he's been the fount of inspiration to quite a few legacy characters. His Starlin written issues and appearances in other books are well regarded classic Marvel comics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"