Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul W.S. Anderson's Soldier is also set in the Blade Runner universe (Anderson is a Ridley Scott fan)

Yup, I think David Peoples [writer of both Blade Runner and Soldier] even went as far to describe it as an unnofficial sequel. Soldier even refers to "Tanhauser Gate''.

Yeah, Soldier always gets me thinking of Rogue Trooper too. I like that film even though it isn't exactly hailed as a classic.

Given this talk of Resident Evil, I'm reminded that Paul W.S. Anderson's Kurt Russell movie 'Soldier' features a helluvalot of 2000AD visual swipes, and at the time I almost thought Anderson had used Rogue Trooper [loosely] for the premise. Wouldnt surprise me if he grew up on 2000AD - perhaps he should take a break from helming/producing 'Resident Evil: The Gazilionth Sequel' and work his magic of Dredd/Rogue Trooper/Strontium Dog.......(Producer, not director, obviously).

In an ideal world I wouldnt want Anderson anywere near a 2000AD movie, for any character, but if his influence helped get one made I would be a happy chappy.

Yup, that's what I was thinking. Then we'd have Dredd 7, Rogue Trooper 5, Strontium Dog 3 etc.......then other people would moan about those characters getting so many movies, and we'd be sitting here laughing at them. :D

Yup, that's what I was thinking. Then we'd have Dredd 7, Rogue Trooper 5, Strontium Dog 3 etc.......then other people would moan about those characters getting so many movies, and we'd be sitting here laughing at them. :D

Well, I suppose it would be better than sitting here waiting to hear about a Dredd sequel that may or may not happen! :woot:.

I finally watched Dredd, got it off Love Film. Have to say I struggled to get into this at first, took me about twenty minutes to really get hooked in. I think the lower budget really showed in that first twenty mins but it didn't matter for the rest of the film seen as though it was in that one building. I also didn't like how they overdid the effects if the slo-mo drug it just wasn't necessary to show its effects so many times. Admittedly I wasn't overly keen on Ma Ma as a villain but i have a feeling it was due to the budget (real shane this film didn't do well enough for a sequel).

But those negatives aside I loved this film, I found myself really hooked by Judge Anderson, knowing this was Dredd showing a rookie the ropes was something I wasn't overly keen on before I watched it. But I was completely wrong it worked and was engaging. The violence in this film was really over the top but in a good way, sone if the FX work was outstanding. I didn't see this film in 3D but I actually think it might benefit from it. Lastly I just wanted to say how awesome Karl Urban was in this. I loved his performance, he was totally bad@ss! I really am gutted this didn't make enough money for a sequel, a bigger budget for a sequel and a bigger threat with Karl Urban back as Dredd would have been awesome.

Overall 8/10

^Interesting stuff, cant wait for the short, hope Urban is in it, but the news a Dredd sequel doesnt sound too promising.

No, it doesnt. I think we all had a feeling that we likely wouldnt see a sequel but to actually hear it from the horses mouth......:waa: :(

On the plus side, downloaded the soundtrack last night. God, I love it.

Consider me both pleased and frustrated. As a kid a fresh copy of 2000ad awaited me each weekend as I spent time at my dad's place so I'm at least proud to see a big screen Dredd which has received high praise. Better that than a substandard character-rape which spurs ten sequels.

Kevin Smith twits..

"Holy ****, DREDD rocks! I am in love with Judge Anderson! How the **** didn't this movie do more business? It's like RoboCop good. #MegaCity"

"The ever-helmeted Dredd just head-butted Avon Barksdale. This movie rules. Like Marcy & me, Judge Anderson says "Sir..." a lot. #CursedEarth"

"DREDD was phenomenal! To say it's better than the Stallone movie version doesn't do it justice: it's better than most movies in general."

"Comic Book True: DREDD keeps his helmet on THE WHOLE TIME! Cursed earth! How are they not making another? I want a sequel with Judge Death!"

No, it doesnt. I think we all had a feeling that we likely wouldnt see a sequel but to actually hear it from the horses mouth......:waa: :(

On the plus side, downloaded the soundtrack last night. God, I love it.

Yeah, they normally string fans along for a bit, sometimes years, before actually confirming it wont happen, gotta thank them for not doing that I suppose, still dissapointing though.

And yeah, the soundtrack is amazing, proper 80's action movie stuff.

Yeah, 80's style synth and [at times] techno beats , which makes it even more awesome. To be honest I feel lucky that they even released it - Universal Soldier: Regeneration had a similarly styled synth score that sadly most likely wont see the light of day.

What can I say that has'nt already been said. This movie hit the nail right on the head. I was blown away. That was only in 2d.

It was okay, but I wouldn't say it hit the nail on the head. I've before in this thread, it lacked the core component of satire.

Yeah, if you're not familiar you don't get the satire it's just an ultraviolent fest in your eyes. I knew the comics and what not before so I understood in a sense but it's not blatant, that's the thing. It was a little TOO serious.

Consider me both pleased and frustrated. As a kid a fresh copy of 2000ad awaited me each weekend as I spent time at my dad's place so I'm at least proud to see a big screen Dredd which has received high praise. Better that than a substandard character-rape which spurs ten sequels.

Kevin Smith twits..

"Holy ****, DREDD rocks! I am in love with Judge Anderson! How the **** didn't this movie do more business? It's like RoboCop good. #MegaCity"

"The ever-helmeted Dredd just head-butted Avon Barksdale. This movie rules. Like Marcy & me, Judge Anderson says "Sir..." a lot. #CursedEarth"

"DREDD was phenomenal! To say it's better than the Stallone movie version doesn't do it justice: it's better than most movies in general."

"Comic Book True: DREDD keeps his helmet on THE WHOLE TIME! Cursed earth! How are they not making another? I want a sequel with Judge Death!"

Basically summed up my feelings :up: I really bought into Judge Anderson too, she was one of my favourite parts of the movie.

^Anderson was our human link into the movie really, she seemed the only 'normal' character, apart from the obvious fact that she was psychic. She was really our introduction into the world.

And Thirlby played her perfectly, whenever she was on screen, you couldnt take your eyes off her. Her and Urban were simply perfect in their roles.

I just saw this for the first time. Thoroughly impressed with a few things.

1. They were able to keep Dredd's helmet on the entire time. :wow:
2. Not a single ounce of love story. :up:
3. They made an extremely likable movie out of a literally non-stop action thrill ride.

love Karl Urban. can't wait for a sequel.

Kevin Smith twits..

Bah, it was nowhere near as good as Robocop.

Yeah, that's a bit much as Robocop is a bonafide genre classic. But it is good. Certainly better than most of the craptastic movies out there that somehow get a gazillion sequels.

What gets me mad is that this movie is only finding a bigger audience now, when it's too late. I'm starting to think that if they'd have shot in 2-D and saved the money spent on the 3-D for promotion instead, things may have worked out differently.

^It is frustrating, I do wonder how much the 3D conversion added to the budget, as it really wasnt needed. I enjoyed it in the cinema but have only been able to watch it in 2D at home yet I dont enjoy the movie any less.

I dunno. I'm not really a 3d fan, but the 3d in this movie was one of the few I felt was worth the extra cost. It looked absolutely stunning in the slo-mo scenes.

I dunno. I'm not really a 3d fan, but the 3d in this movie was one of the few I felt was worth the extra cost. It looked absolutely stunning in the slo-mo scenes.

I agree in the cinema it looked great, but I have never watched it in 3D at home and dont miss it, plus its not like the 3D helped the movie earn more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"