Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by Thread Manager, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Raul Boston's Dish Gaunt

Total box office value and video sales for this movie are slightly better than the movie budget, not sure about boxing cost
    Can't buy a disc since I already have my copy

Mechanism of how interesting a movie is to the mass minds is a mystery that can't be solved

2. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

That Hansel and Gretel movie sucked but made a money.

The stench of the Stallone flop from the mid 90s still hung over the Dredd brand and the fact they didn't have enough money to market the movie that well.

3. Teelie

Teelie The Incredulous Spider-Man

I really don't get how it could have flopped either unless the marketing was really bad. Or maybe it's release date wasn't good. Whatever it was, this movie deserved better. It's one of the few movies I've seen in recent times I wanted to go and watch again right after.

4. Blackman

Blackman C'mon Son

Yeah I guess the marketing wasnt good, but still Im surprised it didnt even make 50 mill.

5. chamber-music

I can see Dredd picking up a bigger following once it starts airing on television. The film has already developed a following with those who missed it in cinemas but caught it on Blu-ray, dvd or streaming services.

6. Brian Braddock

Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

I largely agree, but at some point they dropped the ball as they made the conscious decision to go 3D when the money required to do that could have been better utilised towards production/advertising.

7. MessiahDecoy123

MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

I was impressed by this movie.

It made my top 11 comic book movies. Not an easy task.

8. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

I think if we dont hear of ot get a sequel within 5/6 years then we arent getting one. Usually this is about the time it takes to find out if/when we will get one. There are exceptions of course, but I think with this movie we are looking at this type of time frame.

9. chamber-music

3D isn't a draw for me when it comes to movies. I agree the money would of been better spent on marketing.

10. Brian Braddock

It's a damn shame.

11. AVEITWITHJAMON

^It was just silly by the studio, if anything the 3D gimmick turned people off, as the producer said, calling it Dredd 3D obviously didnt help, it sounds like a cheap, garbage movie like Shark Night 3D or something, it was simply a bad movie.

The 3D wasnt needed, I havent enjoyed the movie any less watching it in 2D on BD, I still love the hell out of it.

12. Snow Queen

There's another Resident Evil coming out next year...and we still don't even know if we'll get a sequel to this. Times like this make me lose faith in film.

13. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Just watched this film and it was great. It was like a mix between Escape from New York and Die Hard.

I actually thought the team behind might do a good job with Batman in the future if they took it down to PG13 and bulked up the budget.

14. AVEITWITHJAMON

I hope if we do get a sequel they forget about the 3D and just make it, I doubt the budget for a sequel would see a huge increase so use what budget they have to make the film as good as possible.

Either way, if we do get a sequel I want both Urban and Thirlby to return.

15. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

I don't really think it's a real mystery why it flopped. Judge Dredd as a comic figure hasn't been relevant to the public in how many years if ever?

So to 90% of people over the the last 15+ years this is what people think of when they hear "judge dredd"...

[​IMG]

I think you'd find a lot of people surprised Dredd actually exists as an entity outside of the 1995 stallone movie.

16. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

How recently had Spider-Man hit the screens before Raimi's attempt?

17. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

Huh? I'm assuming that's in reference to my post? Spider-man has always been a very popular comic character who was featured in all matter of media for decades prior to the raimi films.

Like i mentioned Dredd as a comic figure was always cult at most and became defined for the mainstream only by the stallone movie which likely cemented it's fate.

18. terry78

terry78 I'm gonna need more rope

Basically the character is known moreso in the UK than over here, and even today he's still pretty niche over there. I doubt all the kiddies are talking about Dredd as opposed to The Avengers or One Direction or that new fangled internet or whatever.

19. Brian Braddock

The production should have recognised that and advertised more than they did. Plain and simple.

20. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

Okay, I thought you were referring to movies alone.

21. AVEITWITHJAMON

Exactly, you could tell just by going on the internet that many people thought this was simply a re-make of the Stallone and not another iteration of a comic book character. The marketing should have tackled this.

22. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was a remake but I did (wrongfully) assume it was going to be some cheap-o quickie effort with bad cgi like the RE movies of Van Helsing. I didn't even bother to watch any trailers but I doubt that would have changed my mind.

I feel like I should send Alex Garland a check for twenty bucks to make up for the tix I didn't buy.

23. Brian Braddock

The more I mull it over the more I get a bitter about it all; this movie deserved more opportunity to shine.

24. Teelie

Teelie The Incredulous Spider-Man

I knew it wasn't related to the Stallone version but that's only because I read movie news sites instead of more generic sites. The advertising did nothing to seperate the two. Maybe the assumption was an association with Stallone's name would somehow help but if that were the case these people had absolutely no clue.

25. AVEITWITHJAMON

Same here mate, I hate even watching the film sometimes as it reminds me of the fact they marketed it so badly, damn shame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.