Justice League Big Bad?

Discussion in 'DC Comics Films' started by Lily Adler, Jan 11, 2022.

?

The cinematic JL's Big Bad?

1. Darkseid

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Brainiac

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Parallax

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Anti-Monitor

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Krona

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Evil Superman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Vandal Savage

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  8. Starro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. White Martians

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  10. Legion of Doom

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  11. Checkmate

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  12. Doctor Destiny

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. AMAZO

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  14. Crime Syndicate

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  15. Black Lantern Corps

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  16. Lex Luthor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. The General

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Other

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

Which villain should be the JL's big theatrical enemy?

2. Boy Scout Registered

The White Martians. Darkseid should be the final, final boss.

3. The Batman The Dark Knight

Legion of Doom.

The evil supervillain team is the one thing The Avengers films didn't really tackle, and the LoD is still the iconic version of that archetype.

Awest66 likes this.
  4. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

This is a question that cannot be answered without answering "So, what *are* the Justice League?" By which I mean, you have to decide what you are doing with the JLA as a concept, and in what larger framework of other characters and movies, theme and tone, before you can even *think* about picking a villain.

That said, I do still have some suggestions. One is that you *shouldn't* use Darkseid. Mostly because, frankly, I'm tired of Darkseid and the New Gods getting nerfed down into being Superman supporting cast. The JLA shouldn't fight Darkseid anymore than they should fight Satan, and for pretty much the same reasons.

Another is that quite a few of the villain suggestions here only make sense in the context of an already-established JLA. You could get away without having to have a specific "JLA origin" movie, but you definitely would want to establish the specific characters *composing* the JLA first, along with the idea "Here is the Flash, look at him become the Flash, hey, he gets invited to join the big all purpose superhero team". If you don't do either of those things, either "JLA origin movie" or "Multiple introduction movies for heroes, that also setup the JLA", then the Legion of Doom or AMAZON don't really work.

I'd say the best general purpose picks here are the White Martians or Vandal Savage. White Martians are easier ( there's a reason Morrison invented them to kick off his JLA revival ), Vandal Savage has more depth and potential. You could split the difference- White Martians are the main villain of the first JLA movie, while Vandal Savage is the ominous man-behind-the-man who somehow engineered and supported their invasion, and who can be used in later movies.

MadVillainy likes this.
  5. Erzengel |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I agree with the Legion of Doom, if you watch most of the Superfriends, those were really the big bads of that series. It feels Darkseid was brought in as a big bad during the 90s when the new JL comic was rebooted.

6. BobJM Uncle Charlie

I like Brainiac as a big bad for the JL to combat in an entry film. It keeps Superman at the center too, which I think is helpful.

Justice League = Brainiac
    Justice League II = Legion of Doom
    Justice League III = Darkseid (he wins)
    Justice League IV = Darkseid (an adaptation of Morrison's Rock of Ages & Final Crisis)

7. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

Definitely not Darkseid. I actually can’t stand him as a JL villain. I want a proper Fourth World story. I’d rather have him and his army/family going against Barda, Scott, Orion, Lightray, et al. and JL just shouldn’t be involved in that.

I could’ve gone for either Legion of Doom or with Crime Syndicate. I went with Crime Syndicate just because I think there are too many ways for Legion of Doom to go wrong.

If, however there was an “other” option, I would’ve chosen it, because my dream JL opponent would be Superboy Prime, after a setup movie.

MadVillainy likes this.
  8. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

You can vote multiple times here...

Babillygunn likes this.
  9. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

Oh. Thanks!

And I didn’t see the “other” option at first.

Reading is fun-damental!

10. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

Call me a Marvel ****e, but I voted Anti-Monitor cause I want me some multiverse shenanigans to ensue. If The Flash is already messing with time, why not the universe. Crime Syndicate > Krona > Anti-Monitor. There's your trilogy pathway. :p

11. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

Oh added that one. :p

Babillygunn likes this.
  12. Vlyse Registered

I want a Legion of Doom heist film with established JL in the background doing stuff like natural disaster and world peace, only trying to stop LOD in the 3rd act and failing. LOD wins and then it leads into real JL movie to defeat the Legion.

Legion of Doom is iconic on their own and deserve the spotlight. Everyone already knows the main JL'ers.

13. Mandon Knight We did it......

14. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

Wasted.