Justice League Justice League Box Office Prediction - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it seems a little early, but I'm seeing many posters talk about the effect of BVS's Boxoffice performance in relation to JL on the main thread. I think this would be a better place to discuss it.

So, some points of discussion

-How will BVS's critical reception affect Justice League's Boxoffice?
-How will Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad affect JL's Boxoffice?
-Will well done costumes/positive tweets/great trailers do anything for JL?
-Can Zack Snyder deliver on a well received JL?
-Has the DCEU experienced a loss of hype in general after BVS?
-And what is your best prediction for it's opening weekend, and total?

idk i think if they got jj abrhams or someone on that level to direct this instead and he put out a great trailer it would bump the box office up a couple hundred million even if it didn't get a stellar score on the tomatometer.

I don't think most people are aware of who directs what movies unless your extremely well known ala George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, etc.

even then it doesn't translate to boxoffice. The only thing a director swap would do is quell the negativity/uncertainty that hangs around Snyder. After two negative/mixed received DCEU movies Snyder and by extension his future DCEU projects have been getting a lot of online skepticism.

idk i think if they got jj abrhams or someone on that level to direct this instead and he put out a great trailer it would bump the box office up a couple hundred million even if it didn't get a stellar score on the tomatometer.

I guess that's a good point. I just don't know if Zack has as much name recognition to the general public as JJ Abrams.

SS beat GOTG internationally, and WW total minus China where it was banned.

In August last year folks at SS b.o. Forum were mocking me for estimating 650-700M WW, one even said he expected 500M and the results I want will not happen.

So just to clarify, SS is a huge commercial success and exceeded expectation, beat the popular GOTG WW minus China, and the popular Deadpool internationally.

Its sequel is going to be successful as well, but of course, WB will want to do better with the pre and post production to get more critics on board, which would boost the b.o more, even though this movie exceeded expectations despite the horrendous reviews.

I don't think that director name recognition means anything 99% of the time. Getting a different director to make a better movie would help the box office. Justice League will probably be another Zack Snyder movie that gets mixed to bad reviews.

Last edited:
The director doesn't usually matter for drawing people in, unless you're someone like Nolan or Scorcese. But it does matter in making the end product good. A good product keeps people buying tickets week after week, which will ultimately earn you way more money than a big opening weekend.

The director doesn't usually matter for drawing people in, unless you're someone like Nolan or Scorcese. But it does matter in making the end product good. A good product keeps people buying tickets week after week, which will ultimately earn you way more money than a big opening weekend.

wb most definitely should have gotten someone in that top tier to do these movies even if just for the potential box office

To be fair, these things are hard to predict and I think Snyder was a good choice if you wanted to try a Nolan-esque interpretation of DC's material. It's just, once it was clear that that wasn't really working...they should have switched directors.

Or at least brought in better writers. Especially after Man of Steel, there's some debate about just how bad that film really was but it's certainly not the kind of film you want to build a new crossover universe around. You want to start with something way less disputedly successful (like Iron Man was in 2008.)

Or, better yet, they should actually let people who WANT to tell these stories tell these stories. Even Nolan needed his arm twisted a little to direct Batman, and Snyder seems to be way less of a fan than Nolan ever was. Aren't there other directors who might not be as proven, but who would have a lot of passion for the product? If I was WB, I'd much rather risk a smaller budget on a passionate newcomer than a big budget on established creators who don't have much interest to start with....

Or at least brought in better writers. Especially after Man of Steel, there's some debate about just how bad that film really was but it's certainly not the kind of film you want to build a new crossover universe around. You want to start with something way less disputedly successful (like Iron Man was in 2008.)

Or, better yet, they should actually let people who WANT to tell these stories tell these stories. Even Nolan needed his arm twisted a little to direct Batman, and Snyder seems to be way less of a fan than Nolan ever was. Aren't there other directors who might not be as proven, but who would have a lot of passion for the product? If I was WB, I'd much rather risk a smaller budget on a passionate newcomer than a big budget on established creators who don't have much interest to start with....

I am a fan of both Nolan and Snyder, but I would say Snyder is much more into comics than Nolan was, evident through the costumes, Robin, Easter eggs, iconic shots, and one likes secrecy the other likes to give stuff to fans in the lead up. Nolan knows comics is not his strength thus the inclusion of Goyer.

WB did bring in a superior writer to Goyer, a guy who won an Oscar, I would say Silverman's meddling asking Snyder to cut a Bat film finished off the perception of the movie, you could get away with a MOS type critcal reception but 26% is too much. The editor was a very good one, but can't beat the suits

This is a strange situation. I think it will go in one of two ways.
1, it opens huge, but is kinda lackluster and crawls to 800/900 million.
2, it opens to less than what BvS did, but is good and makes 950/1 billion.

I don't think there will be an in between, nor do I think it will do AV numbers. It's either going to be really good or really bad.

Last edited:
This is a strange situation. I think it will go in one of two ways.
1, it opens huge, but is kinda lackluster and crawls to 800/900 million.
2, it opens to less than what BvS did, but is good and makes 950/1 billion.

I don't think there will be an in between, nor do I think it will do AV numbers. It's either going to be really good or really bad.
Haha, but both the scenarios you describe are middling scenarios where something good and something bad happens. If it's going to achieve really good or really bad it will want to either open big and turn out well or open badly and also turn out to be a turkey.

I think it opens up to at least 140/150 mill regardless if it's bad or good. People will be curious.
Hopefully it's good and will get close to, or right at, a billion when all's said and done.

To be fair, these things are hard to predict and I think Snyder was a good choice if you wanted to try a Nolan-esque interpretation of DC's material. It's just, once it was clear that that wasn't really working...they should have switched directors.

Whoa whoa whoa. Snyder is less of a fan than Nolan?! Seriously? Snyder is a comic book nerd, Nolan had never picked up a Batman comic before in his life. He had David Goyer teach him about the character.

Last edited:
SS beat GOTG internationally, and WW total minus China where it was banned.

In August last year folks at SS b.o. Forum were mocking me for estimating 650-700M WW, one even said he expected 500M and the results I want will not happen.

So just to clarify, SS is a huge commercial success and exceeded expectation, beat the popular GOTG WW minus China, and the popular Deadpool internationally.

Its sequel is going to be successful as well, but of course, WB will want to do better with the pre and post production to get more critics on board, which would boost the b.o more, even though this movie exceeded expectations despite the horrendous reviews.

SS didn't beat Deadpool. And Deadpool was rated R.

Deadpool beat BvS in the US... with an R rating. Deadpool beat a film about Batman and Superman. Unbelievable.

Justice League won't make much more than BvS I don't think. 950 million tops.

The thing is, IF it's better received than BvS, but makes less, it's still a win. Not that I think that's gonna happen, but it's possible I guess.

Whoa whoa whoa. Snyder is less of a fan than Nolan?! Seriously? Snyder is a comic book nerd, Nolan had never picked up a Batman comic before in his life. He had David Goyer teach him about the character.

Remember when Nolan wasn't sure Batman should have a cape? Then he found the same explanation for its existence that has existed since 1988 or so. Good times.

Remember when Nolan wasn't sure Batman should have a cape? Then he found the same explanation for its existence that has existed since 1988 or so. Good times.

Wow. I didn't know that!
Can you please give a bit more info or provide a source? (I'm not saying it's not true, I just want to know more about this)

I don't care how much of a fan the director is. I care about weather the director makes a good film.

So the eighth Fast & Furious is poised to take over the global opening weekend record from Star Wars TFA. Can we dispel this notion Star Wars is this untouchable box office beast now? The likes of BvS and JL absolutely had all the potential to be this generation's kings.

So the eighth Fast & Furious is poised to take over the global opening weekend record from Star Wars TFA. Can we dispel this notion Star Wars is this untouchable box office beast now? The likes of BvS and JL absolutely had all the potential to be this generation's kings.

wb should recast vin diesel as superman and michelle rodriguez as lois in mos2.
brainiac will be a dodge charger

Remember when a film starring Batman was critically acclaimed and a billion dollar box office smash hit? Good times.

It's an untouchable beast in North America and many other countries. But definitely not everywhere and definitely not China.

Both BvS and JL would have been easy 1 billion plus grossers with a non polarizating filmmaker behind them. I don't think anyone denies that. There is no doubt that WB has left a lot of money on the table by continuing with Snyder's vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"