Justice League Cartoons: Your Favorite?

pr0xyt0xin

Shaper Savant
Reaction score
I was watching cartoons with my niece and Young Justice came on. I had never seen the show before so I decided to ask your all opinions on the matter. It didn't seem so bad from the one episode I saw. Which Justice League type cartoon is the best?

Super Friends (1973 - 1986)
Justice League (2001 - 2004)
Teen Titans (2003–2004, 2007)
Justice League Unlimited (2004 - 2006)
Young Justice (2010 - Present)

Unlimited. Shxt hit the fan when Cadmus came into the story. Nothing from prior or after that entire season topped that. Young Justice is a nice second for me.

Gonna have to agree with WolfCypher on this one, Unlimited and the Cadmus arc are definitely my favorite.

Justice League season 2, the height of the Timm/Dini work. The earlier bugs from season 1 were worked out, and you didn't yet have the fridge stupidity of the Cadmus arc weighing things down.

Hmm, I can't really suss out my like for Justice League from Justice League Unlimited...I guess I"ll choose the latter, but I consider them to just be four seasons of one show, really.

Hmm, I can't really suss out my like for Justice League from Justice League Unlimited...I guess I"ll choose the latter, but I consider them to just be four seasons of one show, really.

I didn't really care for Justice League, but Justice League Unlimited was awesome. I think of them as different for that.

I voted other because you missed my favorite, the original Justice League of America cartoon series of shorts with Bud Collyer voicing Superman, written by DC writer/editor George Kashdan, from 1967 originally aired on The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure show.
1192928b.jpg

[YT]9RP8xo4qd8k[/YT]
[YT]OKnWm2_9UAU[/YT]
[YT]p54lmZKy3-o[/YT]
The Justice League of America cartoons are on the DC Super Heroes: The Filmation Years DVD set.
610sglmtwql.jpg

Last edited:
I could only understand that being your favorite out of nostalgia... Justice League and JLU for the win.

I'd never seen the Justice League of America cartoon shorts as a kid, so it's not my favorite out of childhood nostalgia for those cartoons. I'd never seem those rare cartoons until I bought the DVD. It's my favorite because it's more like the classic, iconic Justice League comics come to life. The character designs are very faithful to the classic, iconic JLA look in the classic JLA comics by artists Mike Sekowsky and Dick Dillin. The stories in the cartoons are written by a DC writer/editor. It also features my favorite Superman voice actor, Bud Collyer. All of the characters appearing in each episode are given a fair amount to do, according to each heroes abilities.

The reasons why Justice League and Justice League Unlimited are not my favorites is because I'm not a fan of the extremely over-exaggerated blocky, angular character designs that Bruce Timm chose for Justice League and Justice League Unlimited with all the male characters (especially Superman) having huge upper bodies and small from the waist down.
brucetimm02.jpg

I dislike the portrayal of Wonder Woman as having a crush on Batman, kissing him, having a dance with him, flirting with him.
batswwkiss.jpg

Batman singing "Am I Blue" is extremely cheesy and funny to me rather than touching to me.
[YT]OnY5Rp2uNYw[/YT]
It reminds me of Adam West's Batman singing "I'm Called Little Buttercup."

I loath the wimpy portrayal of Superman getting knocked down and then not getting back up. There was a definite Batman bias. Bruce Timm admitted he didn't know what to do with Superman and thinks Superman is dull and had him get taken down with one punch. Bruce Timm on Superman: “Y'know, I think that even the Fleischers recognized way back when that Superman was just an intrinsically dull character. I knew immediately what to do with Batman, whereas with Superman I wasn’t quite sure what to do with him. I don’t think he’s as interesting a character on the face of him. With Batman, you look at him and you get it. Superman's just not as intrinsically [as] cool as Batman. We fell into a rut of Superman getting knocked down and then not getting back up. The trap we fell into on Justice League was, again, we have seven of these guys and whatever villains they go up against have to be big, powerful villains. So we used the easy trick of saying, ‘Okay: the villain walks into the scene and takes Superman down with one punch.’"
http://jl.toonzone.net/superman/superman.htm
I also dislike the portrayal of Superman acting grim and angsty, glaring at Captain Marvel from the start, who looked up to Superman and admired him, complimented him, and just wanted to help.
[YT]6hU8LD4gpIA[/YT]
And I also dislike the portrayal of Captain Marvel acting like an immature version of Billy Batson, apparently lacking the wisdom of Zeus.
[YT]8QTJWKqJr-Q[/YT]

Last edited:
I voted other because you missed my favorite, the original Justice League of America cartoon series of shorts with Bud Collyer voicing Superman, written by DC writer/editor George Kashdan, from 1967 originally aired on The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure show.
1192928b.jpg

[YT]9RP8xo4qd8k[/YT]
[YT]OKnWm2_9UAU[/YT]
[YT]p54lmZKy3-o[/YT]
The Justice League of America cartoons are on the DC Super Heroes: The Filmation Years DVD set.
610sglmtwql.jpg

That was a classic series that got me hooked on reading Superman, Green Lantern and Flash Comics. Unfortunately there was no appearance from batman in those features.

I love JL,JLU, and Young Justice.

The second season of JL is still my favorite.

I didn't really care for Justice League, but Justice League Unlimited was awesome. I think of them as different for that.

I think my favorite set of episodes in the entire series ("A Better World", with the Justice Lords) is from Season 2 of Justice League. That said, JLU revisited that entire plotline in spades with the Question/Cadmus, so...

JLUnlimited was a lot of fun, but other than a select few JLUnlimited episodes, the first few seasons of JLAnimated tended to be written much better, were paced better, acted better, and generally had better stories overall. I like YOUNG JUSTICE a lot, but I don't think the focus of the stories has been as interesting, and I think the JL animated shows were better written in many ways. YOUNG JUSTICE feels a lot like a new JL Unlimited. TEEN TITANS is a distant second to last because I mostly found it annoying.

Young Justice to me is like Justice League but without a very compelling plot or characters or motivations. It's all animated very well but the issue of Superboy's identity crisis or Robin's lone wolf syndrome come off as pale imitations of the older heroes problems. Or perhaps just retreads of the same thing we've seen before...

Full disclosure: I have only seen, I think, the first 9 episodes of Young Justice.

I'd have to go with the DCAU Justice League/JLU. I didn't grow up with Super-Friends and the few times I've forced myself to watch episodes of SF I can't honestly say I enjoyed it.

Young Justice is very frustrating - it has good animation, mostly good voice actors, and a reasonably interesting plot but the characters often flat and fail at getting me to care about them. The few characters I do find interesting or at least entertaining often don't get as much screen time as they deserve while the show's writers seem Hellbent on hitting me over the head with Superboy and Ms. Martian, whom they've pegged as the heart & soul of the show despite the fact that they really aren't that interesting. And, while I'm fine with how most of the senior heroes are portrayed - when they're actually allowed to talk and interact with their disciples - I really don't like YJ's version of Superman; he just doesn't have the heroic heart and soul he had in the DCAU.

Whatever the flaws of the DCAU, at least the writing for that series got me to care about its characters, something I can't say for SF or YJ.

I would've said Justice League Unlimited but I think Young Justice is probably my favourite DC animated show to date it has it all, great voice work, great stories and some of the best animation I have ever seen. Only thing that tops it for me is Justice League Doom.

Ditto. The older series don't hold up that well. They honestly suck. YJ would be a close 2nd. Good show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"