Justice League Dark - Part 1

Me, clearly.
Lol. I stand corrected. :cwink:

I'm not a fan of the talking ape concept in general, never mind a chimp dressed like Sherlock Holmes in a supernatural horror-esque series. For me he sounds like Jar Jar Binks several times over.

I see your point if not done well. But Detective Chimp is not typically written as comic relief. He’s a very serious character. He’s more of a serious Rocket than a Jar Jar.

I’m a fan of the character. But to each his own.

Yeah let’s not add Man-Bat or Detective Chimp or go with the lame lineup from the current comics.

Not a fan of Tynion’s run, huh? He’s completely rekindled my love for the team. I think he’s written some great stuff. I know that I’m in the minority on that though.

But yeah, I’d add Blue Devil. And your list is solid.

While most people would think of Man-Bat as some supernatural Vampire (he's not), Man-Bat acts as a "man of science" in the team (He is research Doctor), therefore he brings much needed rationalized approach to certain investigations in a team consisting (mostly) of people with supernatural knowledge / abilities.

I'm willing to bet they will take a more grounded approach to the show. I don't expect to see Detective Chimp or Man-Bat. And I'll expect they'll save Swamp thing for the big event episodes.

I imagine it will focus on Constantine and Zatanna. Supernatural, X-files buddy, "willTheyWon'tThey" dynamic. Deadman, and Etrigan will be revolving supporting cast mates. I'm all for that.

I'm willing to bet they will take a more grounded approach to the show. I don't expect to see Detective Chimp or Man-Bat. And I'll expect they'll save Swamp thing for the big event episodes.

I imagine it will focus on Constantine and Zatanna. Supernatural, X-files buddy, "willTheyWon'tThey" dynamic. Deadman, and Etrigan will be revolving supporting cast mates. I'm all for that.
So it’s Moonlighting with magicians then? No thank you.

I personally don’t see the point in a grounded JL Dark.

So it’s Moonlighting with magicians then? No thank you.

I personally don’t see the point in a grounded JL Dark.
I wouldn't go as far as Moonlighting, No different to the chemistry in the Justice League Dark animated movie.

And it wouldn't be any less grounded than Supernatural that deals with angels demons, vampires werewolves etc. I just think the presentation won't be so CGI and spectacle heavy.

It'll most likely be the "classic" lineup. Constantine, Zatanna and Deadman getting much of the focus, with Xanadu, Midnite, Swamp Thing and Etrigan showing up occassionally in the storylines, and an appearance from Dr. Fate now and again. I could see them adding Black Orchid to the mix if they want another female lead. Detective Chimp would probably be more of a cameo thing or a one-off.

Me, clearly.

I'm not a fan of the talking ape concept in general, never mind a chimp dressed like Sherlock Holmes in a supernatural horror-esque series. For me he sounds like Jar Jar Binks several times over.
Have you read anything with him? Dude is a depressed, alcoholic noir-detective. His biggest role pre-Rebirth JLD was Shadowpact, which was another supernatural horror-esque team. If you're gonna compare him to another "sidekick", he's a whole lot more Rocket than Jar Jar.

DquqHSuU4AEWvUb.jpg

I wouldn't go as far as Moonlighting, No different to the chemistry in the Justice League Dark animated movie.

And it wouldn't be any less grounded than Supernatural that deals with angels demons, vampires werewolves etc. I just think the presentation won't be so CGI and spectacle heavy.
That makes sense. I don’t think I fully grasped you original comment.

But personally I would prefer the spectacle, but I can see where it would likely be prohibitive because of cost.

Have you read anything with him? Dude is a depressed, alcoholic noir-detective. His biggest role pre-Rebirth JLD was Shadowpact, which was another supernatural horror-esque team. If you're gonna compare him to another "sidekick", he's a whole lot more Rocket than Jar Jar.

I didn't mean in terms of being comedic, I meant in terms of being an obnoxious Poochy-like character. Trying to make it oh-so-serious and gritty only makes it worse.

How is he like Poochie?

Because they both are talking animals that have hats?

In terms of the way I feel about it. It's the sort of character where I'd want him to go away every second he's onscreen.

I didn't mean in terms of being comedic, I meant in terms of being an obnoxious Poochy-like character. Trying to make it oh-so-serious and gritty only makes it worse.
Well, I gotta say, that sounds like a.......... personal problem :o

Team Chimp all the way

I can see where Detective Chimp could look obnoxious or annoying if you didn’t have any background on the character or if they didn’t write him the way he is written in the comics. But, having read a lot of his stuff, I have to say that he is a very deep, nuanced and complex character. Think Batman with a lot of vices and character flaws but crossed with Rocket Racoon.

He’s a high risk/reward character. It’s easy to do him wrong, by either making him obnoxious or going for comedic relief, but he also could be money if done correctly.

Casting Call

original.gif

Victoria Pedretti as Zatanna

original.gif

Robert Sheehan as John Constantine

tumblr_pkpdbfUgQv1x8jq2qo2_540.gifv

David Oyelowo as Jason Blood/Etrigan

RemoteNaiveAmurstarfish-size_restricted.gif

Lakeith Stanfield as Deadman

giphy.gif

Danny Davito as Detective Chimp

260239-tao-okamoto-sniper-gif.gif

Tao Okamato as Nightshade

tumblr_mhh7m3bD8B1qhc9d1o1_500.gif

Lance Reddick as Dr. Mist

-Notes: Core Team For Season 1 is Zatanna, Constantine, Etrigan, Deadman and Chimp. Nightshade and Mist are undercover ARGUS agents following their actions (Nightshade replacing Black Orchid, whose ties to the Green would best serve a Swamp Thing plot). Dr. Mist betrays them, but Nightshade would join long-term. I think Swamp Thing would be best introduced as an overarching Season 2 plot line involving the Green, once the rest of the team is already established.

I can see where Detective Chimp could look obnoxious or annoying if you didn’t have any background on the character or if they didn’t write him the way he is written in the comics. But, having read a lot of his stuff, I have to say that he is a very deep, nuanced and complex character. Think Batman with a lot of vices and character flaws but crossed with Rocket Racoon.

He’s a high risk/reward character. It’s easy to do him wrong, by either making him obnoxious or going for comedic relief, but he also could be money if done correctly.

I don't love the Rocket analogy so much. Detective Chimp is really just a character. You can do deeper things with the concept, but that's not the norm in most of his appearances. He's not especially obnoxious or weird in most portrayals. He's an animal take on the down on his luck hardboiled private eye.

I don't love the Rocket analogy so much. Detective Chimp is really just a character. You can do deeper things with the concept, but that's not the norm in most of his appearances. He's not especially obnoxious or weird in most portrayals. He's an animal take on the down on his luck hardboiled private eye.
I agree. There really isn’t any comparison between their characterizations. I only mentioned Rocket because they both are anthromorphic mammals, and to point out that people tend to say that Bobo is too ridiculous in live action, but most people don’t have a problem with Rocket.

Casting Call

original.gif

Victoria Pedretti as Zatanna

original.gif

Robert Sheehan as John Constantine

tumblr_pkpdbfUgQv1x8jq2qo2_540.gifv

David Oyelowo as Jason Blood/Etrigan

RemoteNaiveAmurstarfish-size_restricted.gif

Lakeith Stanfield as Deadman

giphy.gif

Danny Davito as Detective Chimp

260239-tao-okamoto-sniper-gif.gif

Tao Okamato as Nightshade

tumblr_mhh7m3bD8B1qhc9d1o1_500.gif

Lance Reddick as Dr. Mist

-Notes: Core Team For Season 1 is Zatanna, Constantine, Etrigan, Deadman and Chimp. Nightshade and Mist are undercover ARGUS agents following their actions (Nightshade replacing Black Orchid, whose ties to the Green would best serve a Swamp Thing plot). Dr. Mist betrays them, but Nightshade would join long-term. I think Swamp Thing would be best introduced as an overarching Season 2 plot line involving the Green, once the rest of the team is already established.
Fantastic!

Shade- Rupert Grint
Tim Hunter- Kit Connor
I, Vampire- Luke Evans
Detective Chimp- Tom Hollander
Jason Blood- Michael Sheen
Etrigan- David Tennant
Deadman- Nicholas Hoult
Doctor Fate- Nikolaj Coster Waldau
Swamp Thing- Clancy Brown
Zatanna- Eva Green
John Constantine- Daniel Craig

Detective Chimp is better for Shaowpact, not Justice League Dark. But there's no reason you couldn't make that character work. if you can make Rocket Raccoon work, you can do Detective Chimp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"