Justice League Justice League: News and Speculation - - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is left to be seen if Man of Steel is atually a first contact film. There are rumors that there were other aliens (like Martian Manhunter). Green Lantern 2 may turn out to be a soft reboot.

It was confirmed that MOS will be the first time humans discover the existence of alien life. Martian Manhunter already being on earth wouldn't count if no one knows he is an alien.

I would personally be more interested in a Green Lantern Corps movie (Hal could still be the main character) instead of GL2.

Can't wait to see Martian Manhunter on film one day. Will probably have to wait for a sequel for that I guess.

A GL Corps movie is exactly what they should do. That's a great idea.

Im not holding my breath on Martian Manhunter. He could have a role in the first, he could have a huge role in the 2nd. But I don't think anybody who is a massive fan of that character, should be expecting it. Just don't get ur hopes up.

Not only will it take a while to see him on film (maybe) but WB have been pretty adamant about this new 52 lineup that doesn't include MM. With the licensing and everything, it's tied to WB too. You just never know if they'll eventually bring in Aquaman and Cyborg and jip Martian Manhunter completely on his chance.

Im expecting disappointed people. Whether it's MM fans, Aquaman fans, or perhaps Hal Jordan fans. The direction could be really unpredictable for the movie.

I agree about the GL Corps. In fact, I think that all of the movies moving forward should use the "expanded universe" of these characters. Meaning, alongside the main title characters, their supports should be in as well.

Including the Bat family (further than just Robin/Nightwing) would be great for a rebooted Batman, should that happen, since it would differentiate from Nolan AND provide something of a superhero team which people still are interested in seeing. Plus, it offers opportunity for spin-offs if WB should so choose.

Same with Flash. I think his movies could benefit from including Wally as Kid Flash and have the hero/sidekick dynamic with something outside of Batman and Robin. Plus, it's kind of in Flash's character to be the more kid friendly hero - why not give him a kid sidekick? I just hope that they don't make Wally's humor so over the top that it's annoying. People will like the character anyway but it would hurt the movies for sure.

But about the GL Corps, I think that's a big part of what 2011 GL lacked. It showed that all of these characters exist and then ignored them to jump back to just Hal and a little bit of Sinestro. By keeping the rest of the major Green Lanterns like Kilogwag, Tomar, Chip, etc. they will capture the essence of the GL universe in that they're a space cop FORCE. Not the space cop buddy club that convenes every other Thursday. Other Lanterns having a constant presence would keep the sci-fi feeling which they could sell the same way Star Trek and Star Wars have been sold.

Unlike Marvel though, the people that run DC Comics are not the same people that run WB. WB simply owns DC but it was entirely DC's decision to replace Martian Manhunter with Cyborg.

The best time to introduce Martian Manhunter would be in the first JL movie by having the White Martians as the villains. Not only you have the opportunity to do his origin and explore his character with that storyline but it also ties into the JL's origin. The White Martians were the first threat that the JL faced in the comics (pre-New 52 continuity). I also always considered that story to be the perfect story for how to bring the JL together.

If they do use the White Martians and Martian Manhunter, then 6 members will be enough - the Big 5 + MM. At least 3 members (Superman, Batman, and either WW or Flash) should get at least one solo film before JL, giving you 3 established characters. Green Lantern can sit in the background for the first film since the GL movie still left some bad taste in people's mouths. Establishing MM will be natural for the film since the film will be his origin story, and then they can always squeeze in some development/establishment for either WW or Flash, depending on which one of them hasn't gotten a solo film prior to JL.

At least that's what I would personally do :up:.

Unlike Marvel though, the people that run DC Comics are not the same people that run WB. WB simply owns DC but it was entirely DC's decision to replace Martian Manhunter with Cyborg.

The people who run Marvel comics aren't the people who own Disney either:huh:

I was talking about the relationship between Marvel overall and Marvel Studios. Marvel Studios is just a subdivision/extension of Marvel whereas DC and WB are separate. WB cares very little about what DC does in their comics and lets them do their own thing while DC no one that works for DC Comics has too much influence over what WB decides to do with their properties on film (except for maybe Geoff Johns).

Im sure a rebooted Batman would be only a year or two into his career. Think Bale in TDK but in a slightly more fantastical world.

Rebooted Batman should be the second film in it's own continuity if that makes sense. Basically at a Dark Knight level of experience. No origin film.

His backstory should be mentioned through dialogue, obviously.

Flashbacks? That would have to be done with the narrative of the story, serving some purpose.
But what with Batman Begins using them, I doubt it.

I still think that flashbacks to his detective training is the way to go. Whereas the Nolan trilogy emphasized Batman the ninja / Batman the symbol, perhaps the reboot movies' identity can be Batman the detective, which would perhaps be more fitting for a shared universe, showing Bats' relevance in the league.

Last edited:
I still think that flashbacks to his detective training is the way to go. Whereas the Nolan trilogy emphasized Batman the ninja / Batman the symbol, perhaps the reboot movies' identity can be Batman the detective, which would perhaps be more fitting for a shared universe, showing Bats' relevance in the league.

I could see him spending most of the first movie tracking his parents killer(s), which would really emphasize how he expanded his detective abilities. It might also help to have a villain like the Joker or the Riddler that could provide more of the psychological challenge. Or Bale could come back and show off some of his seasoning. ;)

Certainly more emphasis on this aspect at least.

I just don't want the rebooted Bat films to suffer for JL. I don't want to see them do episodic Batman movies where every single one is just Batman using his detective skills to take down Riddler, then the sequel is the same when he's taking down Penguin or some other rogue. Focusing entirely on the villain, and repeating the same dilemmas Bruce has had in past films while just showing off his mind/physicality. I want NEW STORIES where I turn to one of my buddies and say "They've never done this in a Batman movie before, im quite surprised" or "Wow, I expected them to dish out some typical crime investigation story that we can see on any crime series each week but done with Batman characters, but im shocked. They actually gave us something that all audiences haven't seen before."

I don't want to see an obvious cash-in. Making spin-offs with little imagination or story that could get into Bruce's psyche and make us learn something...ALL because WB just needed to have a new Batman in their big team-up.

If they can treat the solos with respect, get a Rian Johnson on board as director and bring a fresh story to live-action, then im all for it. But this is why im rooting for Bale to return. Because you don't have to risk doing these episodic films.

Last edited:
They'll use Flash and Green Lantern I'm sure. But if the League needs five members and, like was said, they can't make Flash look right and Green Lantern is untouchable... Why give up and only do Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman? Why not give the vacant spot to 2 other heroes? Aquaman? Martian Manhunter? Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)? Booster Gold? Hawkgirl? Cyborg? Zatanna? Mister Miracle? Black Lightning? The Atom? Green Arrow? (Granted, the last two might be hard to do because of Ant-Man and Hawkeye. Along with Arrow being a show) Yeah, the original line-up is best, but if you can't use a few of them then there's no reason not to get creative and try establishing other characters.

Last edited:
What do you mean about Flash and Green Lantern though?

What do you mean about Flash and Green Lantern though?

Someone mentioned they can't make Flash wouldn't look right and Green Lantern was untouchable (might have been a different thread, I was browsing quick). I don't believe either of those things, but if they were true, why not explore different possibilities?

Oldman's portrayal was great.

But was it me, or did he come of as too much of the nice nervous type?
He was tough, but he seemed liked the weakling who proved himself imo.

Cranston would certainly portray a more hard assed Gordon. Just as stern as Batman. Who smokes his cigars, and doesn't give a **** about lung cancer :hehe:

And is it Gary Oldman's fault that his character was written like this? More of a nervous family man whatever type? He played what he was given by the Nolan's.
I know some people think Bryan Cranston would be better because they think he would portray him more badass. But how do you know that? What if his character was written a similar way? A nervous Hal type? LOL

Oldman could have been even more badass if his character was written that way. A no one gives a f_ck type. Just check out his cameo in Lawless. He is still able to be a badass when his character requires that.

To be honest I was disappointed how Gordon's character was kind of "ruined" in TDKR with basically no character arc and most of his screentime sacrificed in favour of Nolan's new fave JGL, especially after how awesome he was in TDK. No wonder people already think Cranston could even top him. I wanted people celebrate Oldman's Gordon after the 3rd movie, but now I can be happy if I see him mentioned at all as the 5th, 6th "best" in the cast... It's a shame. It just shows how much depends on the quality of the writing. A wasted opportunity.

The 1st JL film kind of needs both Flash & JL. Otherwise the GA will forever think of them as not core members. Aquaman & MM can come later, probably my faves outside of the big 5.

Someone mentioned they can't make Flash wouldn't look right and Green Lantern was untouchable (might have been a different thread, I was browsing quick). I don't believe either of those things, but if they were true, why not explore different possibilities?
Yeah, don't think it was this thread. But I don't believe that. They can make Flash look fantastic.

I don't think they should explore other characters though, to replace them. Im not interested in seeing Green Arrow, Hawkman or Aquaman replace them or in the first movie. MM or Cyborg could be an addition to the first movie but not replacements.

If you cant do Flash properly then they shouldn't even be messing with a Justice League movie. Because if you cant do Flash well, then they sure as hell wont be able to do the rest well either, including the villains.

The Flash will definitely be the trickiest costume to modernize. I feel like everything that made people criticize Cap's costume in Avengers are a danger to Flash here: the wingtips, silly color scheme, so many symbols (the lightning bolt), etc.

And look at Amazing Spiderman 2. People are rejoicing that the original costume design is back, but admittedly it looks incredibly Halloween costume like. Lighting and other editing could probably take some of that away, but to be honest, it's hard to imagine anyone wearing something like that in a believable setting of a movie.

With Flash, I fear that they're going to reinvent the suit completely or give him rubber armoring a la Nolan Batman.

In any case, I highly doubt that a costume will prevent him from being in. They're going to want to launch a new franchise alongside or after Man of Steel and Flash is looking like the best candidate at the moment - Wonder Woman's show is still being pursued so I doubt they'll jump to film while that's going on. Same with Arrow. And Green Lantern is on probation. So my money is on Flash being next and putting him in JL will jumpstart his exposure.

I don't think that's silly if they just darken it a bit. Not too much, not like Cavill's suit. But enough so it's not too flashy (no pun intended).

I disagree about TAMS2. That suit looks incredible to me.

They can reinvent Flash's suit, I wouldn't mind. But I have confidence that it'll look fine.

As long as they have glowing lines of electricity on the suit, I'm good.

It probably does need a bit of work before it's ready for film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"