Justice League Justice League: News and Speculation - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, I can see Ant-Man being made. Why would they pussyfoot with Edgar Wright since 2008 with that thing? Plus Kevin Fringe and Edgar Wright have been candid about Ant-Man despite it's stagnant development. I can see them MOVING Ant-Man to 2016 if all else.

No one at MS had any idea they would be this successful in 2008 that's why they let him create a script that took place in the 60s/70s and wasn't tied into the Iron Man/Hulk continuity.

I have absolutely no evidence to prove it's not getting made. Just hunches. I haven't seen anything that shows they're serious about it. We'll see.

I have a headache thinking about all this. **** WB.

Black Panther was never ever made consider (publicly) by Marvel; just rumored and maybe some very slight small talk from Kevin. And I have theories why BP didn't get pushed by Marvel though..even then, it never had a writer or director officially attached to it.

Feige wanted three movies for phase 2: Panther, GOTG and Ant-Man. He was adamant about them. Disney are the ones who didn't want BP or Ant-Man because they don't see them as financially lucrative. Feige convinced them to delay Ant-Man to Phase 3 so they could revamp it but conceded with BP in exchange.

And it was a good move. A BP move really wouldn't have the wide appeal these other ones do. GOTG is mroe akin to Star Wars than The Avengers.

2015 tentpole releases currently scheduled: Avengers 2 (May 1), Star Wars 7 (June 19 TENT) Pirates 5 (July 10), Hunger Games Mokingjay P 2 (November 20). Then Avatar 2 in December.

Where are you going to put a JL/WF movie in that summer? There's no room for it. And that's not counting all the small filler stuff.

You know what you get when you gamble badly with big budget tentpoles? Green Lantern, John Carter and Tron Legacy. Do you really think WB is going to risk another GL flop with their Superman and Batman franchises? Hell no. You put any movie against Star Wars it will lose. Not worth the risk when you can easily move it back a year.

Where is that date coming from. I searched but couldn't find it anywhere. If WB had to they could put it against Pirates. It may be the least disastrous place to put it. Or they could drop it in August and try to turn it into a big month. All I'm saying is that the longer DC waits to break out their shared universe the harder it's going to be

Feige wanted three movies for phase 2: Panther, GOTG and Ant-Man. He was adamant about them. Disney are the ones who didn't want BP or Ant-Man because they don't see them as financially lucrative. Feige convinced them to delay Ant-Man to Phase 3 so they could revamp it but conceded with BP in exchange.

And it was a good move. A BP move really wouldn't have the wide appeal these other ones do. GOTG is mroe akin to Star Wars than The Avengers.

Disagree on the BP film. I think BP done right could be very lucrative. Even if not right now I see it being done in either Phase 3 or 4.

And as for Ant-Man Showing off test footage at Comic Con and Feige saying Ant-man kicks off Phase 3 sounds pretty much like they're pushing it to me

No one at MS had any idea they would be this successful in 2008 that's why they let him create a script that took place in the 60s/70s and wasn't tied into the Iron Man/Hulk continuity.

I have absolutely no evidence to prove it's not getting made. Just hunches. I haven't seen anything that shows they're serious about it. We'll see.

I do remember Marvel announcing their slate, and included Edgar Wright on stage with Jon Fav and Louis L. at Comic Con in 2007. But yeah, I think it was a premature move and since Edgar was set to work on Scott Pilgrim at the time, Marvel just let Ant-Man go but kept Edgar in touch.

I mean, if Marvel dropped Ant-Man they would've done it a long time ago. Why would they even show the 'Ant-Man' test footage at last year's Comic Con? Just to test the audience? Is that wise? It's Comic-Con; not the best place to test out the demographic (Tron Legacy, Cowboys & Aliens), haha.

I think Marvel backed off on Black Panther because..well, it might because (to be blunt) it involves a black king in a made-up country in Africa who is involved with a Civil War. The scale and tone would be different from the other Marvel films, maybe a little too different? And then how to fit that with the Avengers would've been a challenge. That, and Marvel was probably hesitant to have an African lead in a Marvel film.

(Personally, if they wanted a black lead in a Marvel movie and were scared about BP, then just use Luke Cage.)

Where is that date coming from. I searched but couldn't find it anywhere. If WB had to they could put it against Pirates. It may be the least disastrous place to put it. Or they could drop it in August and try to turn it into a big month. All I'm saying is that the longer DC waits to break out their shared universe the harder it's going to be

That was the date on Disney's press site calendar. It has since been removed once J.J. Abrams was formally announced (notice in the press release there wasn't even a projected date). But Disney is steadfast about a summer 2015 date for it so it will more than likely happen.

Pixar's big secret movie is scheduled for the end of July. August is a dumping ground. JL/WF won't be an August release. No way.

I do remember Marvel announcing their slate, and included Edgar Wright on stage with Jon Fav and Louis L. at Comic Con in 2007. But yeah, I think it was a premature move and since Edgar was set to work on Scott Pilgrim at the time, Marvel just let Ant-Man go but kept Edgar in touch.

I mean, if Marvel dropped Ant-Man they would've done it a long time ago. Why would they even show the 'Ant-Man' test footage at last year's Comic Con? Just to test the audience? Is that wise? It's Comic-Con; not the best place to test out the demographic (Tron Legacy, Cowboys & Aliens), haha.

I think Marvel backed off on Black Panther because..well, it might because (to be blunt) it involves a black king in a made-up country in Africa who is involved with a Civil War. The scale and tone would be different from the other Marvel films, maybe a little too different? And then how to fit that with the Avengers would've been a challenge.

(Personally, if they wanted a black lead in a Marvel movie and were scared about BP, then just use Luke Cage.)

1) It was footage created specifically for Comic Con. Marvel has never "released" test footage before but they're putting the Ant-Man stuff in the Avengers collector's set coming out this year. No, I don't see that movie happening. Especially not as the movie immediately following Avengers 2.

2) [See recent post about possible 2016 team-up movie]

Disagree on the BP film. I think BP done right could be very lucrative. Even if not right now I see it being done in either Phase 3 or 4.

And as for Ant-Man Showing off test footage at Comic Con and Feige saying Ant-man kicks off Phase 3 sounds pretty much like they're pushing it to me

Personally, I can see BP doing well, but you know how Hollywood is.

It's like Stan Lee wanting to do a film based on his new (stereotypical) Asian superhero. As an Asian-American, I can't see it happening anytime soon!

I think Marvel backed off on Black Panther because..well, it might because (to be blunt) it involves a black king in a made-up country in Africa who is involved with a Civil War. The scale and tone would be different from the other Marvel films, maybe a little too different? And then how to fit that with the Avengers would've been a challenge. That, and Marvel was probably hesitant to have an African lead in a Marvel film.

As an African American myself it sucks but it's probably the truth.
If they introduce BP in another film then give him a solo film he could be fit into the universe easily.

Black Panther is a racist caricature just like most ethnic comics characters. And unless they were going to give him a Mandarin styled overhaul, he wouldn't work.

Not only that, to be blunt (because really, we're all adults here) who actually sees a PG-13 superhero film targeted to an African American audience working? The Black Panther animated series didn't even get a decent reception. Best case scenario is use BP like Hulk as a supporting character.

@Poni

Random, but do you know what's up with Mad Max Fury Road? I'm assuming it's Summer 2014 but WB hasn't once promoted the film (yet) or set a release date.

As an African American myself it sucks but it's probably the truth.
If they introduce BP in another film then give him a solo film he could be fit into the universe easily.

It is what it is. Doesn't mean it's right but yeah.

I think BP could work but it depends on the budget and what Disney is looking for. I can see BP being a 70-80 million dollar picture; where as Disney is probably looking for a franchise that is 150 in budget and a huge profit. They're think very big and very broad, which is very shortsighted. But with $$$, it can blind anybody.

If all else, Disney could have a line of Marvel properties on a smaller scale, that could include Daredevil (owned by Marvel again), Black Panther, Iron Fist, and possibly Punisher. But I doubt that would happen.

BUT I can maybe see Black Panther pulling a cameo appearance in a future Marvel film.

Ant-Man is the first Marvel film that I don't give a damn about, but it's going to be connected to the others so I'll have to watch it anyway.

While I'm not big on an Ant-Man film, I do think Hank (and Janet) should be in the Avengers films, so if this gets them there, I'm ok with it. Even if it's Scott and not Hank, I'll still go see it. But, I'm not nearly as excited about it as I was Iron Man and Cap.

The film I *want* to see is Black Panther...I hope it finally happens someday.

But the Marvel film that I have zero interest in is Guardians Of The Galaxy. I was never a fan. I'm sure I'll see it eventually, but eventually may mean "on cable."

As far as the Justice League news/rumor goes, I am torn. I want a JL film badly, and if this is the only way I'm going to get it, then let's do it. But even though I am a HUGE fan of Bale's Batman, I just don't see the Nolan rendition meshing with a world where Superman and Darkseid exist.

That's not to say that I am opposed to ANY Batman existing in that world...just not the Nolan Batman.

If you can tell me this is an alternate universe from the one that the Dark Knight Trilogy existed in, then I am fine with that. But if it's the exact same one, then that doesn't work for me, personally. I'd prefer that we leave Bruce and Selina happily in Italy, recast the role and reboot the franchise featuring more fantastical elements (such as Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, Mr. Freeze, Clayface, Man-Bat, etc.) that won't make Batman seem like such a fish out of water in a Justice League universe.

Black Panther is a racist caricature just like most ethnic comics characters. And unless they were going to give him a Mandarin styled overhaul, he wouldn't work.

Not only that, to be blunt (because really, we're all adults here) who actually sees a PG-13 superhero film targeted to an African American audience working? The Black Panther animated series didn't even get a decent reception. Best case scenario is use BP like Hulk as a supporting character.

Who's to say it would be specifically targeted at an African American audience? I mean fanboys would go see BP just like every other film. And I doubt the audience would really decide not to see a Marvel film because the superhero is African. I mean Blade and Men in Black both did reasonably well and they both had African Americans as their leads or did everyone forget about them

If all else, Disney could have a line of Marvel properties on a smaller scale, that could include Daredevil (owned by Marvel again), Black Panther, Iron Fist, and possibly Punisher. But I doubt that would happen.

Funny you mention that, there's an exploratory committee working on the possible benefits of smaller budget movies right here in New York (north of the city at Disney's White Plains office).

To be honest, I read some of the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' (2008 reboot) and it's a fun read. Think of Ice Pirates BUT done right; a light hearted space opera that could wet the appetite of a Star Wars fan. So it does have appeal if it's done right and I think a guy like James Gunn can pull it off if he works his Troma magic.

Who's to say it would be specifically targeted at an African American audience? I mean fanboys would go see BP just like every other film. And I doubt the audience would really decide not to see a Marvel film because the superhero is African. I mean Blade and Men in Black both did reasonably well and they both had African Americans as their leads or did everyone forget about them

Fanboys are not even 10% of the total box office potential of these movies.

Blade was rated R and had Wesley Snipes (big name)

Men in Black was a comedy with Will Smith (big name)

Black Panther is a PG-13 superhero movie with no big names interested

Regardless if it's politically correct to say it or not it's pretty obvious that a movie that takes place in Africa featuring 90% African/African American characters and what will no doubt be a white villain would be targeted to an African American audience more than any other Marvel movie to date. That in and of itself is a HUGE red flag.

Marvel already tried to gauge the popularity of a Black Panther property but putting an animated series on BET and it failed. The risk was too much compared to the reward. Do I like it? Not at all. But it has nothing to do with what I like

Funny you mention that, there's an exploratory committee working on the possible benefits of smaller budget movies right here in New York (north of the city at Disney's White Plains office).

I just don't see the incentives of smaller budgeted Marvel movies, unless the well dries up (and it will in a few years). It'll probably get to the point where Marvel can't do big tentpoles every year and the smaller films can take their place in-between. Almost as filler and to keep Marvel in the public's eye....

I just don't see the incentives of smaller budgeted Marvel movies, unless the well dries up (and it will in a few years). It'll probably get to the point where Marvel can't do big tentpoles every year and the smaller films can take their place in-between. Almost as filler and to keep Marvel in the public's eye....

I have no idea. I'm not on the committee :oldrazz:

Black Panther is another Marvel property I don't really care about. I Want Doctor Strange and Thomas Jane as Punisher again and I'll be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee