Justice League Justice League: News and Speculation - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hulk and The Incredible Hulk both failed to break even at Box Office, that's Two failures within a period of six years, GL property is not as bad shape as it seems.

I expect John Stewart to be included in Justice League movie, GL is too important franchise to be left behind.

Ah, but due to their relative budgets both Hulk films eventually broke even and even earned a tidy profit for their studios once ancillaries came in. GL will never get out of the red. That's the difference.

Ah, but due to their relative budgets both Hulk films eventually broke even and even earned a tidy profit for their studios once ancillaries came in. GL will never get out of the red. That's the difference.
Spot on.

Anything new from El Mayimbe aside from that comment about Ryan Reynolds?

Doubtful. The same thing happened (on a larger scale) for Dick Grayson. Dick Grayson has still not been on film for 16 years.
However, Dick is not a member of the league and newer Batman movies haven't included him because of the director's preference. Although, Blake's character was basically an alternate version of Dick/Robin, changed to fit in the Nolanverse. And you have to admit that if the character of Robin wasn't so popular, he probably wouldn't have been included. Or he at least wouldnt have had the blatant name of Robin.

If they ever make a Teen Titans movie(I hope so), that's when Dick would come into play. I could even see Dick in a rebooted Batman movie eventually. At the moment, that seems more likely than Teen Titans.

John Stewart is different because JL needs a black character, and they messed up with Hal already, so they might not want to reboot the character right away. Introducing John Stewart would work because modern audiences like him as the GL, and I'm sure WB knows that now if they didn't before.

Last edited:
I was kind of really hoping that the new Batman movies would have more of a focus on the Bat family expanded beyond just Batman and Robin. Like, the first movie could have Batman and Robin established in Gotham and Barbara tries to elbow her way into their partnership as Batgirl.

Movie two could be Dick leaving to become Nightwing and Jason taking his place.

Movie three could have Dick come back to fight alongside Batman and Tim the NEW Robin, new Batgirl with Barbara as Oracle, and Jason either staying dead or becoming Red Hood?

It is well known fact that GL movie was unsuccessful at Box Office, Hulk and TIH was also unsuccessful at Box Office, though by lesser margin.

But, I am taking about the character, after two Hulk movies, Marvel Studios did not abandon the property as they were convinced that it had some potential, same thing goes for Green Lantern.

I would even argue that Green Lantern is still in a better position as it has rich mythology and supporting characters, not to mention the fact that there are more than one Earth based Lantern members, If Hal Jordan is not liked by general audience, get someone like John Stewart as GL in the Justice League movie.

It is well known fact that GL movie was unsuccessful at Box Office, Hulk and TIH was also unsuccessful at Box Office, though by lesser margin.

But, I am taking about the character, after two Hulk movies, Marvel Studios did not abandon the property as they were convinced that it had some potential, same thing goes for Green Lantern.

I would even argue that Green Lantern is still in a better position as it has rich mythology and supporting characters, not to mention the fact that there are more than one Earth based Lantern members, If Hal Jordan is not liked by general audience, get someone like John Stewart as GL in the Justice League movie.

Even though both Hulk movies didn't measure up at the box office, the character is probably far more known by general audiences than Green Lantern. That's why Marvel haven't given up on him, and plus they had a safety net around him with the rest of the Avengers, particularly Iron Man.

Now of course, GL would have a similar safety net with Superman and Batman, but I don't know if WB would be willing to take the same risks as Marvel since they're not a dedicated comic movie studio.

I do agree though that John Stewart would probably be better in a JL movie than Ryan Reynolds. If anything, at least it would add something different visually to have a black character.

Hulk and The Incredible Hulk both failed to break even at Box Office, that's Two failures within a period of six years, GL property is not as bad shape as it seems.

I expect John Stewart to be included in Justice League movie, GL is too important franchise to be left behind.

Given that both Hulk movies combined didn't lose anywhere near as much money as that single Green Lantern movie did. . .

( in fact, its almost certain both Hulk movies broke even in DVDs and started turning a profit, whereas its almost certain GL never came close, and never will. . . )

Seems more possible that John Stewart could be the GL in JL. I think WB will take notice of something like this. Shows just how popular he is.

I agree with what you said about Nightwing and MM. I also think Cyborg can be great if handled by the right people, but he's a second tier character just like Nightwing. I know that Iron Man was in the same place, but I don't think they'll replace a known hero like GL with Cyborg, who's less known and isn't a senior member of the league.
I would put him on the same level as Nightwing sure. But the difference is that they can write him in the script then cast no problem. They cant do that with Nightwing right now. And he's black, plain and simple. So I think Cyborg has the advantage over JGL's Nightwing.

He also has the advantage over Aquaman, Hawkman, Green Arrow or Martian Manhunter imo.

But if I had to choose between him and John Stewart's GL, im choosing John. It's a much more logical decision. It rounds everything out perfectly. We still get Green Lantern. The fact that he's black adds to the diversity while not having to add MM/Cyborg as a 6th member. The name change, the serious character traits also makes people understand "OK this is absolutely not Reynolds' character returning just with a change of skin color".

Anything new from El Mayimbe aside from that comment about Ryan Reynolds?
Nothing yet. He said he's feeling under the weather so his next scoop will only be next week. No word on if it's Marvel, DC or Star Wars related though.

Given that both Hulk movies combined didn't lose anywhere near as much money as that single Green Lantern movie did. . .

( in fact, its almost certain both Hulk movies broke even in DVDs and started turning a profit, whereas its almost certain GL never came close, and never will. . . )

Yeah, it never will but I have acknowledged that much, and your point is......?

Last edited:
I don't really want to see cyborg in JL but I will absolutely take him over any sort of JGL as Nightwing idea. That sounds terrible. I picture these manips that have been done of him as robin and I just picture the same crap with some awful Nightwing getup.

JGL would look perfect in a Nightwing suit but I think it fits World's Finest more or his own movie.

JL should be 5 members just to make it different from Avengers, which was a little over-crowded. The addition of Hawkeye took away from Thor imo. We also don't need a Nick Fury character.

So they shouldn't add a Cyborg, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Catwoman, Nightwing, etc. They need to keep it at 5 for the first movie. If Green Lantern gets replaced it's probably going to be Cyborg, but will they keep him as a teenager? Not sure I want that. He can be well into his 20's.

I personally don't mind seeing Martian Manhunter in the movie. Though I'm still worried how they are going to deal with his mythology? Nolan-ize it (BAD IDEA) if by any chance they are going for it?

Well Superman still comes from Krypton in "Nolan's" MoS, so I don't see why MM wouldn't be an alien....

Sole survivor of an ancient Martian Civilization, who was taken as a prisoner by Despero (or any other galactic villain like Kanjar Ro or Mongul) and kept in a stasis chamber for thousands of years.

Who was then rescued by (Green Lantern Corps/ Superman) and brought to Earth.

However, Dick is not a member of the league and newer Batman movies haven't included him because of the director's preference. Although, Blake's character was basically an alternate version of Dick/Robin, changed to fit in the Nolanverse. And you have to admit that if the character of Robin wasn't so popular, he probably wouldn't have been included. Or he at least wouldnt have had the blatant name of Robin.

John Blake was not Dick Grayson. He had a few similarities, but he also did with Jason Todd and Tim Drake.

John Stewart is different because JL needs a black character, and they messed up with Hal already, so they might not want to reboot the character right away. Introducing John Stewart would work because modern audiences like him as the GL, and I'm sure WB knows that now if they didn't before.

Why?

They don't need it, but im sure WB feels they do. Especially after looking at Avengers and how they had Sam Jackson.

John Blake was not Dick Grayson. He had a few similarities, but he also did with Jason Todd and Tim Drake.

Why?

Because I think studios feel that cbms like this need an ethnic reach for today's more diversified GA. And I said that Blake's character was basically Grayson(when I say that, I mean the character down to his most basic qualities, and yes he was a mixture of all of them), but even moreso he was just the character of Robin, who has proven to be quite popular amongst the GA, which was my point in the beginning.

I would put him on the same level as Nightwing sure. But the difference is that they can write him in the script then cast no problem. They cant do that with Nightwing right now. And he's black, plain and simple. So I think Cyborg has the advantage over JGL's Nightwing.

He also has the advantage over Aquaman, Hawkman, Green Arrow or Martian Manhunter imo.

But if I had to choose between him and John Stewart's GL, im choosing John. It's a much more logical decision. It rounds everything out perfectly. We still get Green Lantern. The fact that he's black adds to the diversity while not having to add MM/Cyborg as a 6th member. The name change, the serious character traits also makes people understand "OK this is absolutely not Reynolds' character returning just with a change of skin color".

At this route, they could most likely find a way to include Nightwing as well, just like Cyborg. I'd just be more okay with Cyborg since he wouldn't be redundant like Nightwing would with Batman already on the team.
But yeah, I do think Cyborg has the advantage of Nightwing, but he's still a second tier character just like Nightwing.

And I don't think that Cyborg has the advantage over Aquaman or MM, since they're both more popular than he is while also being natural members of the league. I think Aquaman has the most franchise potential out of the heroes we've mentioned so far, except for maybe GL.

Last edited:
They don't need it, but im sure WB feels they do. Especially after looking at Avengers and how they had Sam Jackson.

Because I think studios feel that cbms like this need an ethnic reach for today's more diversified GA.

That's stupid then. Neither Avatar nor Titanic had black lead characters, and the same is true for the next three highest grossing films. Or The Lord of the Rings, or the rest of the Harry Potter series.

And I said that Blake's character was basically Grayson(when I say that, I mean the character down to his most basic qualities, and yes he was a mixture of all of them),
Sharing qualities does not equal being someone else. Dick Grayson shares characteristics with Peter Parker, it does not make him Spider-Man.

but even moreso he was just the character of Robin, who has proven to be quite popular amongst the GA, which was my point in the beginning.
But he is not Dick Grayson. Which was my point.

Last edited:

Fan Association. Many moviegoers and comic book fans are black and having a black character represented on a team like the Justice League promotes the notion of inclusion. A lot of fans of Green Lantern were upset that John Stewart was not even mentioned in the Green Lantern film and more than likely contributed to the poor attendance at the box office.

That's stupid then. Neither Avatar nor Titanic had black lead characters, and the same is true for the next three highest grossing films.

Zoe Saldana was the female lead in Avatar, and she is black. Titantic had reach because it was a historical movie, while also having DiCaprio which was a major pull. Also, no one expected black characters to be prominent in Titanic.

And what are the next three highest grossing films anyway?

Avengers had Jackson and Transformers had Tyrese.

Does Harry Potter inherently have any prominent black characters in the books? Not sure. But regardless, Harry didn't really need something like that because he was going to have a huge reach regardless, being based off of the books. Those movies were going to have a huge reach anyway.

Yeah I wouldn't say they "need" a black character but I have a feeling WB's gonna push for it. That being said, I feel John Stewart would be a nice addition to the team. WB is gonna stay as far away from Hal as they can get, rebooted or not. Not that the character was the reason why the movie was bad or under-preformed, but I have a feeling they want to get as far away from that movie as they possibly can. Green Lantern is one of DC's most popular characters so luckily for WB there are more than one Green Lantern they can use. And the odds seem to be tipping in in Johns favor.

If John is a somewhat "boring" character in the comics it doesn't mean they can't make changes for him on film. With the right writer attached anything is possible. It's all about the interaction between the characters and what makes them so special when they come together.

On a random note I hope they come up with something that isn't an alien invasion. I'm not quite sure what else they can do but everyone is already expecting and has already seen a fight in the city between superheroes and aliens.

Yeah I wouldn't say they "need" a black character but I have a feeling WB's gonna push for it. That being said, I feel John Stewart would be a nice addition to the team. WB is gonna stay as far away from Hal as they can get, rebooted or not. Not that the character was the reason why the movie was bad or under-preformed, but I have a feeling they want to get as far away from that movie as they possibly can. Green Lantern is one of DC's most popular characters so luckily for WB there are more than one Green Lantern they can use. And the odds seem to be tipping in in Johns favor.

If John is a somewhat "boring" character in the comics it doesn't mean they can't make changes for him on film. With the right writer attached anything is possible. It's all about the interaction between the characters and what makes them so special when they come together.

On a random note I hope they come up with something that isn't an alien invasion. I'm not quite sure what else they can do but everyone is already expecting and has already seen a fight in the city between superheroes and aliens.

Agreed with everything you said. However, I do want the Apokolips invasion and they could make it different enough from the first Avengers. Maybe even better, and bigger as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"