Justice League Justice League: News and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have to. If you're the new franchise on the block, you cannot come out second. There's a reason Avengers came out before DKR. They know that people who are eager for DKR will go see Avengers in the meantime, but not vice versa. This is really not a debatable point.

Comparing The Avengers and TDKR is apples and oranges. TA was really something audiences haven't seen on the big-screen before: a superhero team-up kicking ass and taking names. TDKR is its own thing: a sequel coming off the biggest film of 2008.

If WB actually gets JL off the ground (i.e. actually filming the thing) for a 2015 release, it would make sense for WB to try and get the pic out before Avengers 2. But it's too early to say.

They come for Batman and Superman. You hook them on Wonder Woman, Flash, and Green Lantern during Justice League.

Spot on post, Avengers needed to build up as they didn't really ave any high profile characters except maybe Hulk but he wasn't exactly a box office smash. The success of Iron Man is what triggered it but like you say Superman & Batman been on screen together is what will bring the audience in, write the other characters correctly and the audience will buy into the whole thing.

I don't think there's any more risk of "superhero team up burn-out" than there is "alien invasion", "serial killer kills lots of people", or "guy and girl meet and wacky hijinks ensue" burnout.

This idea that people are just going to suddenly get tired of supers needs to be put to bed for awhile. people have been saying that for ten years now and nothing has come of it, if anything they're more popular than ever.

Robin- i agree with what youre saying except for Ryan Reynolds...That movie should have no connection to JL

I'd love Ryan Reynolds to Coe back but tbh I think they might go with another GL.

Keep Reynolds away from this movie. This can work if it's written correctly. You don't need to know squat about the other characters going in as long as they are written good. Look at Kick-Ass. I never heard of none of the characters but they were written good. Just keep it gritty with action and make it deep.

I'd love Ryan Reynolds to Coe back but tbh I think they might go with another GL.

The only thing I want more than Reynolds to return is for them to not use John Stewart if he doesn't. :o

They won't want to associate it with a failure, personally I don't want Hal Jordan unless Ryan's playing him, he deserved a better script IMO.

I'd rather the Green Lantern film not be in continuity. Like even a little bit. Preferably a recast just to distance themselves from it. Or they can really push it out and use either Kyle or Simon as a new GL completely.

Robin- i agree with what youre saying except for Ryan Reynolds...That movie should have no connection to JL

The Incredible Hulk underperformed as well. Excluding budget, they took in about the same amount at the domestic box office (130/116). Which means that they received about the same amount of attention from viewers... Green Lantern was just a failure because it cost more to make...but it still about as many asses into the seats as Hulk's flick did.

Neither got sequels.

People thought that there was a fundemental problem with the character or that the public just didn't like them...

Then The Avengers happened. We got Hulk in small doses, and done by a director who understood what made that character fun and successful and it worked.

Reynolds wasn't the reason the first film failed -- he delivered a great rendition of Hal Jordan. A Hal Jordan that I think would be a great foil for a veteran Batman or a serious Superman. A Hal Jordan straight from the New 52.

If a director who is worth his salt and understands Green Lantern comes onto this project, he can deliver us everything Martin Cambell didn't or couldn't. And I will take that bet and bet on Reynolds' Hal Jordan.

-R

The only thing I want more than Reynolds to return is for them to not use John Stewart if he doesn't. :o

With you on that I'd rather see Guy Gardner than John Stewart. Personally tho f no Hal I'd rather they went with Kyle Rayner.

I'd rather the Green Lantern film not be in continuity. Like even a little bit. Preferably a recast just to distance themselves from it. Or they can really push it out and use either Kyle or Simon as a new GL completely.
This is a great idea, except no to Simon..... whatchu thinkin dude? Simon is lame. Id rather have that little bald GL from Batman Beyond than him :p

Whose the GL that was killed by Superboy Prime in Legion time?

The Incredible Hulk underperformed as well. Excluding budget, they took in about the same amount at the domestic box office (130/116). Which means that they received about the same amount of attention from viewers... Green Lantern was just a failure because it cost more to make...but it still about as many asses into the seats as Hulk's flick did.

Neither got sequels.

People thought that there was a fundemental problem with the character or that the public just didn't like them...

Then The Avengers happened. We got Hulk in small doses, and done by a director who understood what made that character fun and successful and it worked.

Reynolds wasn't the reason the first film failed -- he delivered a great rendition of Hal Jordan. A Hal Jordan that I think would be a great foil for a veteran Batman or a serious Superman. A Hal Jordan straight from the New 52.

If a director who is worth his salt and understands Green Lantern comes onto this project, he can deliver us everything Martin Cambell didn't or couldn't. And I will take that bet and bet on Reynolds' Hal Jordan.

-R
Buddy. I think youre forgetting something :) Hulk was recast. :dry: just like Reynolds should be. :dry::dry::dry:

You set yourself up for that one.

TIH may have underperformed, but it didnt suck, unlike Green Lantern, which sucked...hard. There is no point to reusing Reynolds. No one cared for HIM or the movie. It doesnt do any good for the JL movie. And clearly (based on your point) audiences dont care about recasts. In fact, Hulk has been played by 3 different actors. Soooo yeah..... the Hulk example doesnt really prove your point.. at all

Buddy. I think youre forgetting something :) Hulk was recast. :dry: just like Reynolds should be. :dry::dry::dry:

You set yourself up for that one.

TIH may have underperformed, but it didnt suck, unlike Green Lantern, which sucked...hard. There is no point to reusing Reynolds. No one cared for HIM or the movie. It doesnt do any good for the JL movie. And clearly (based on your point) audiences dont care about recasts. In fact, Hulk has been played by 3 different actors. Soooo yeah..... the Hulk example doesnt really prove your point.. at all

Hulk WAS recast....but the FILM was kept within continuity. And the actor was recast for reasons not having to do with his performance...

But it's pretty universal that comic book fans don't blame Ryan Reynolds for the failure of that movie. Just as they didn't blame Norton for his. Norton wouldn't have been recast if it weren't for a diva/power struggle between him and Marvel. Reynolds has no such situation. So when comparing the FILMS, Marvel made the smart choice and left The Incredible Hulk as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe's continuity. Even though it underperformed. Again, if Norton and Feige hadn't had a power struggle, Norton would have returned as well...

Fan didn't hate Reynolds' Hal Jordan. Actually, a large portion of them LIKED his portrayal, and felt that he deserved a better script. GIVE HIM THE BETTER SCRIPT.

The major narrative in this very thread is that people "wish they could keep Reynolds, but erase Green Lantern from the continuity." You can't do that...

People are also forgetting that erasing Green Lantern from the DC Continuity would also take away Mark Strong as Sinestro in an eventual Green Lantern Sequel or a Justice League follow-up. And that would be a crime.

Keep Reynolds as part of the team. Keep the film as a vague point in the continuity. There's no need to reference Hector Hammond or anything like that....

But keep what worked. Ryan Reynolds and Mark Strong.

-R

I have some sources in WB and Reynolds coming back is more likely than him not returning. Cavill will also be the Superman in JL. Filming is scheduled for September 13' and Zack Snyder has turned down Directing the film but will be on hand as a Consultant. Affleck was never approached.

Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor were more than just introducing people to the heroes, it made people care about the characters to even come back to watch The Avengers.

Wonder Woman and The Flash may be well known, but people aren't necessarily going to come see the movie if you haven't given them a chance or a reason to care about the characters to begin with, no?

I'll never understand this line of thinking. Did anyone know who Han Solo was before they saw Star Wars? Did you know anything about the characters in Inception or Avatar? Why is it assumed that people must have a "background" on the character before they'll be willing to buy a ticket? We don't apply that standard to any other genre besides superhero movies.

Even if they all have solo movies beforehand, they'll still have to make some reference to their backgrounds in JL, since a significant portion of the audience won't have seen the solo films. So what work is really being done by "establishing" these characters in solo films? As comics fans, of course it would make for a richer experience, but we are a very small minority of the audience.

Plus, Batman and Superman are like, the two most iconic superheroes ever. And the GA is plenty familiar with them. They put butts in the seats; the rest of the characters will be what (hopefully) fuels word of mouth.

The only way that this new plan of releasing Justice League in 2015 will ever work is:

- Henry Cavill plays Superman.
- Ryan Reynolds returns as Green Lantern.
- Justice League is in the same universe as Man of Steel and Green Lantern.

If anything, treat Green Lantern like The Incredible Hulk in this new DC Cinematic Universe and only give it a passing mention in the team up.

Agree on Cavill 100%. I pretty much agree on Reynolds, and I really like the TIH comparison. The decision to recast Banner, IIRC, was about Norton wanting money and/or creative control, not trying to distance themselves from TIH.

I think Reynolds did the best he could with a bad script and director. He would bring star power and the all-important "girl-friend-who-goes-along-just-because-there's-a-pretty-guy" demographic.

With you on that I'd rather see Guy Gardner than John Stewart. Personally tho f no Hal I'd rather they went with Kyle Rayner.

This is honestly not sarcasm, but what am I missing about Kyle Rayner? I was recently reading some of Morrison's JL run and he was just awful. He was like an over-caffeinated 10 year old. I know it was the 90's and he's supposed to be the star-struck kid, but seriously, everything out of his mouth was like nails on a chalkboard.

Could you recommend some good Rayner books to change my mind?

I blame the second recasting on Edward Norton wanting to micromanage everything (i.e. not being a team player). If he was a great guy to work with, then he would've been in The Avengers. Simple as that. I don't buy Whedon and Kevin Feige wanting Mark Ruffalo because "he's perfect for Bruce Banner", that's just BS.

Isn't GL like the bomb of 2011(as far has high profile goes).
I can't see how association would help the iffy JL project.

Still, if they play this like the smooth intros of Star Trek, they could come out of this major winners.

Yes we did.

I didn't. I questioned RR's involvement when he first signed on for the pic, but he was a definite highlight of the film. The script didn't do anyone favors.

I'll never understand this line of thinking. Did anyone know who Han Solo was before they saw Star Wars? Did you know anything about the characters in Inception or Avatar? Why is it assumed that people must have a "background" on the character before they'll be willing to buy a ticket? We don't apply that standard to any other genre besides superhero movies.

Even if they all have solo movies beforehand, they'll still have to make some reference to their backgrounds in JL, since a significant portion of the audience won't have seen the solo films. So what work is really being done by "establishing" these characters in solo films? As comics fans, of course it would make for a richer experience, but we are a very small minority of the audience.

Plus, Batman and Superman are like, the two most iconic superheroes ever. And the GA is plenty familiar with them. They put butts in the seats; the rest of the characters will be what (hopefully) fuels word of mouth.

Agree on Cavill 100%. I pretty much agree on Reynolds, and I really like the TIH comparison. The decision to recast Banner, IIRC, was about Norton wanting money and/or creative control, not trying to distance themselves from TIH.

I think Reynolds did the best he could with a bad script and director. He would bring star power and the all-important "girl-friend-who-goes-along-just-because-there's-a-pretty-guy" demographic.

This is honestly not sarcasm, but what am I missing about Kyle Rayner? I was recently reading some of Morrison's JL run and he was just awful. He was like an over-caffeinated 10 year old. I know it was the 90's and he's supposed to be the star-struck kid, but seriously, everything out of his mouth was like nails on a chalkboard.

Could you recommend some good Rayner books to change my mind?

I loved the Morrison stuff myself, it's been ages since I read any Rayner stuff tbh.

I think people are brainwashed into thinking the way Marvel did things is the only way to do things...and thats not true. No one really knew much about Hawkeye and Black Widow but that didnt hinder people from enjoying Avengers.
The best way for WB to do this is:
Justice League....if the movie is good it will cause buzz around the characters like there was buzz around the Hulk after Avengers came out. The build on the buzz. Do the solo movies then.

I think people are brainwashed into thinking the way Marvel did things is the only way to do things...and thats not true. No one really knew much about Hawkeye and Black Widow but that didnt hinder people from enjoying Avengers.
The best way for WB to do this is:
Justice League....if the movie is good it will cause buzz around the characters like there was buzz around the Hulk after Avengers came out. The build on the buzz. Do the solo movies then.

:up: totally agree too many people seem to think there's only one way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"