Justice Society of America

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by yenaled, May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianWilly Disciple of Whedon

Power Girl feels much more a part of the JSA family at this point.

2. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

Exactly since the the JSA pretty much absorbed Infinity Inc. into their ranks.

EDIT: And made her chairwoman until the JSA split and then she took up leadership of the All-Stars.

#3327 hippie_hunter, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  3. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Not really. They're doing that right now because of this big, continuing Max Lord mega-arc that concerns them more than any other version of the League, but there's nothing more "bizarro" about the JLI than the Satellite Era League or the Detroit League, suckage notwithstanding. J'onn and Batman were on the roster for a while, so it's not like they never had anyone important, either. They were just a particular period in the ever-fluctuating League's history that has taken on some kind of special status long after their time because they had the very distinctive comedy aspect. But they're still "a" Justice League on par with the Big Seven League or the Satellite League.

And yeah, I associate PG with the JSA more too, but that shouldn't really matter for a bridge character. I also associate Hawkman with the JSA a lot more because he's a founder of that group, whereas he's just some angry dude with wings to the JLA.

4. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

He's been some angry dude with wings everywhere he goes. He was like that in Justice Society of America.

5. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Yes, but he's also a founder of the JSA. Not so with the JLA. Really, the only important things I can think of with him on the JLA are his relationships with the Atom and Green Arrow, neither of which makes him a particularly effective bridge between the teams.

6. Kurosawa Registered

Hawkman should be in the JSA and should be chairman. He was the JSA's chairman longer than anyone. The real problem is that none of you guys have ever seen him written right, where he is a thinking man's hero and not the one note joke Conan with wings that Johns turned him into. Roy Thomas, Gardner Fox, Tony Isabella...those guys wrote Hawkman right. DC also needs to split Hawkman back up and fix his history to it's Pre-Crisis setup. In fact, until the incredibly wrongheaded decision to make Hawkworld regular DC and not an Elseworlds, this is what they did...Carter Hall as the JSA original, Katar Hol as the Thanagarian policeman and JLA member. What they did to Hawkman was a huge case of fixing what is not broken. Unfortunately by continuing to tie Carter to Thanagar, Johns continues to break it. Hawkman's personality works when he is scholarly and intelligent and adopts the warrior side of his persona when he needs to, not the "Kill Hath-Set!" child Hulk character that Johns has saddled him with.

7. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

I personally would like to see Hawkman be both.

I think that Hawkman needs a little fixing. A good way to reboot the character IMO would be combining the Conan with wings with the intelligent scholarly archeologist. Add in some conservative politics as well and send him back to Midway City.

8. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Or just off him. That works for a decade or so, usually. :)

9. Kurosawa Registered

I'd split him back into two characters and let the Thanagarian JLA Hawkman be the con and Ollie's bickering partner/drinking buddy and Atom's friend, and leave Carter with his old JSA buddies.

10. Kurosawa Registered

:cmad::argh:

#3335 Kurosawa, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  11. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Hey, the last time Hawkman was (supposedly) really good was when Johns and Goyer brought him back in JSA, which continued into his own series. What was he immediately before that? Hint: it starts with a D. ;)

12. Kurosawa Registered

He was just D however.

13. E-Man Cooler than your daddy.

I wish Willingham had a longer run. I was really enjoying what he was writing. He tended to write the characters as a little too jovial sometimes, but his stories always kept me hooked.

I can't say that I'm a fan of Guggenheim, but I've only ever read his Blade, Wolverine, and that Hyperion vs. Nighthawk mini. I absolutely hated his Blade, and the Wolverine I read from him was boring. The Supreme Power mini was a decent read though, so I'll give him a chance.

14. NightBeetle Turbo Justice!!!!

15. BrianWilly Disciple of Whedon

****ing Magog. How many times is he going to be responsible for the end of the world?

16. WompuM Esquire

Isn't Gog already on the Source Wall? Aggravating? And what is Superman-22 doing back?

The whole Magog thing is so annoying because his character actually had a decent redemption arc in Kingdom Come that no one seems to remember.

17. BrianWilly Disciple of Whedon

Think those are flashbacks.

18. WompuM Esquire

Good call.

19. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

Guggenheim turned the Flash: The Fastest Man Alive away from mediocrity to a rather good book (until DC killed Bart).

He was on the Spidey Brain Trust writing Character Assassination and a few other arcs on the Amazing Spider-Man.

He also did the Civil War arc for Wolverine which took his healing factor to an abusrd level, but he made it up by depowering Logan quite a bit to the point where he can now be killed.

And he also did Young X-Men which was a decent read.

20. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

At least once more, according to Max Lord's White Lantern vision.

21. fifthfiend M4J3ST1C L3G1SL4C3R4TOR

Just what DC needed more of, a character specifically created to be a terrible, uninteresting character.

22. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

Hopefully this means that Max will kill Magog, just like how the White Canary (possibly) killed Hawk :awesome:

23. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Hawk's dead again? :huh:

24. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

Birds of Prey #4 left him in a dying state where he asked Dove not to bother and do not let him be resurrected because it's wrong. It was actually quite a touching scene.

I give it 50/50 of him being dead or staying alive. It would actually be cool to see "Mission failed, life terminated" as opposed to the "Mission succeeded, life restored" that we've seen with Jade and Professor Zoom.

25. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Oh, please, he's staying alive. Some other White Lantern'll probably happen by and magically heal all his wounds like J'onn did to Miss Martian.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.