Keep Hope Alive: Marvel Netflix Series Edition

pr0xyt0xin

Shaper Savant
Reaction score
Thought we could get a thread to discuss the possibility of the Marvel Netflix shows returning on Disney+ or another platform.

As of today the petition to bring back daredevil on Change.org has over 330,000 signatures.
Sign the Petition
(not that it really matters, being that the GoT S8 remake has 1.6m signatures)

And there were many open plot threads across the board from Luke Cage's tyranny over Harlem, that cliffhanger at the end of Iron Fist 2 and the tease of Bullseye's return.

Will we ever see a resurgence? How will it happen? How would you want it to happen?

Love this thread already :up:

I am hoping we see a revival of the shows. I think Daredevil has the best chance of any of them. The support is there from fans, cast, and creative behind it. I think Hulu or FX would be a great landing spot for all these shows.

I think we may get more DD in shorter, more dynamic seasons. My guess is on Hulu as John Landgraf runs FX like the curator of a museum. Bringing on another show that started on Netflix doesn't seem like his bag.

I would love for all the shows to comeback, but the ones I would most want are Daredevil (best show of the bunch and I can never get enough), Luke Cage (the King of Harlem is a fantastic idea for another season), and Punisher (I think fans are all happy with where he was at season 2's end). Jessica Jones had a good ending, so I am okay if they don't do more seasons. But keep the character around for guest spots even if we don't do more seasons!

Danny's show was not well liked, but he was liked on Luke Cage when he did a guest spot. I think do a 3rd season of Luke Cage. Bring Danny into that, form Heroes for Hire at season's end. Keep it as Heroes for Hire from then onward.

I mean there are a lot of options. I personally feel they would have to retain their mature ratings (at least JJ, DD and Punisher) so ideally this would be possible on Disney+ or Hulu or FX. To wrap up each character, I'm thinking of a minimum of the following:

Daughters of the Dragon 8 episode miniseries - Misty and Colleen bringing down a Shadowland inspired Luke Cage who has taken over in the absence of Mariah/Kingpin/etc.

Heroes for Hire 8 episode miniseries - Luke Cage and Iron Fist are back in action. Cage has stepped down as King of Harlem, wallowing in self-pity. Rand returns to NY to find that his company has cannibalized itself, he goes to Jessica Jones for help convincing Luke to fight crime for money. Jessica and Luke rekindle their flame and she gets pregnant.

Daredevil: Man Without Fear feature length film - DD vs an enhanced and suited up Bullseye. Non stop adrenaline ride and farewell to Charlie Cox's character. Matt visits Fisk in prison for help in finding/defeating this impossible foe.

The Punisher: War Journal feature length film - Punisher in episodic bouts against common criminals. (think Sin City)

Fortunately, none of these seem to require immediate action. Even if they did this in 2-3 years from now, it wouldn't take away from the characters.

Just finished Jessica Jones season 3. It was a good watch and it will be sad to see these characters go, should it be their fate. I am hopeful that this branch of the Marvel universe hasn't been severed completely. It wasn't always great, but a lot of it was and the weaker elements could easily be fixed with better writing.

'Daredevil' was damn near perfect for what it was. It could easily continue as-is and make a lot of people happy. It should do just that.

Everyone else could be utilized in any number of cross-overs and combinations, because they rarely benefited from the 13 episode format.

Yeah, I mean personally I think there was more good than bad in the Netflix series.

The Good (B+ to A+)
DD1 (A+)
DD2 (A+)
DD3 (A+)
Punisher 1 (A)
JJ1 (A)
LC2 (B+)

The Okay (C to B)
Defenders (B)
JJ3 (B-)
LC1 (B-)
IF2 (C)

The Bad (D to C-)
JJ2 (C-)
Punisher 2 (C-)
IF1 (D+)

No series never reached an F for me.

Give it a couple of years until the Netflix contract runs out completely then bring the lot back in...
"Defenders: Shadowland" :)

I mean there are a lot of options. I personally feel they would have to retain their mature ratings (at least JJ, DD and Punisher) so ideally this would be possible on Disney+ or Hulu or FX. To wrap up each character, I'm thinking of a minimum of the following:

Daughters of the Dragon 8 episode miniseries - Misty and Colleen bringing down a Shadowland inspired Luke Cage who has taken over in the absence of Mariah/Kingpin/etc.

Heroes for Hire 8 episode miniseries - Luke Cage and Iron Fist are back in action. Cage has stepped down as King of Harlem, wallowing in self-pity. Rand returns to NY to find that his company has cannibalized itself, he goes to Jessica Jones for help convincing Luke to fight crime for money. Jessica and Luke rekindle their flame and she gets pregnant.

Daredevil: Man Without Fear feature length film - DD vs an enhanced and suited up Bullseye. Non stop adrenaline ride and farewell to Charlie Cox's character. Matt visits Fisk in prison for help in finding/defeating this impossible foe.

The Punisher: War Journal feature length film - Punisher in episodic bouts against common criminals. (think Sin City)

Fortunately, none of these seem to require immediate action. Even if they did this in 2-3 years from now, it wouldn't take away from the characters.

I'd go for the first 4 of those, but have not found Punisher very interesting to watch. Unless they revamped Punisher and made it far less of a slow burn.

I'd definitely prefer to see Cage and Fist combined into one show. I could do with a recast for these two though. They weren't exactly glowing.

I think I'd be open to a recast of Cage/Fist/Jones as well (Ritter recently said she was done with the character). But I'd also be open to them returning. While they weren't glowing enough to lead their own shows, I do think they could manage to delight with an ensemble cast.

I'm not keen on recasting in any situation. I'd keep everyone if possible.

Finn Jones is the least popular casting in the Netflix set but he was never the problem for me. Danny has generally been written as an obnoxious character in both his series and the Defenders. I don't put that on the actor. He was pretty decent in Luke Cage season 2, which gives me hope that Finn Jones would go over better with smarter writing. Give him more fight training too.

Mike Colter is fine as Luke Cage. He's a bit stiff at times for me. Stoic maybe? Ultimately my biggest issue with Cage is a budget that has to routinely downplay his incredible abilities. Both characters would benefit from being paired in a more action-oriented format.

They wont return. There has been an insider who worked for marvel and netflix and has been proven right in the defenders subreddit on numerous occasions. He revealed story plot points for jj s3 a month before release and he was proven true and he leaked the cancellations of the shows days before they were announced.

He basically said that feige isnt interested in reviving the shows and he never got very along with loeb who is reportedly a *****e. Hulu also wont revive them because they cant take the other seasons off netflix so they would indirectly advertise a direct competitor. In addition most of the actors are over the shows and many of them have signed on to other gigs which makes it almost impossible to bring back the casts in two years. But the main thing is those are marvel tv productions and feige is marvel studios. He doesnt care and he has his plate full with the d+ shows which are TRUE MCU. He basically says what people have been speculated for years. Check his comment history, he is legit.

Here is the amaa in the reddit:

We'll see. 2 years can change a lot of things. That might be the temperature on the situation now, but maybe some of the shows the other people are on now will fail, maybe some of the actors "over it" decide that they actually do want to return if an offer comes in and change their minds, maybe Feige and co see some benefit in keeping the existing actors, etc. Until such time that we have new actors in the roles or a reboot of everything is announced, I will continue to hope that these will come back.

My least favourite casting wasn't Iron Fist it was Elektra...

...and i think Bernthal's Punisher is the best portrayal ever and will be the real loss if these Netflix series get over-written in the MCU

We'll see. 2 years can change a lot of things. That might be the temperature on the situation now, but maybe some of the shows the other people are on now will fail, maybe some of the actors "over it" decide that they actually do want to return if an offer comes in and change their minds, maybe Feige and co see some benefit in keeping the existing actors, etc. Until such time that we have new actors in the roles or a reboot of everything is announced, I will continue to hope that these will come back.
Did you read the ama? The guy highlights very well why its extremely unlikely to happen.

Even if the actors were willing to return feige wouldnt want them. Marvel tv shows exist for over 6 years and he hasnt hasnt referenced A SINGLE ONE that he personally hasnt worked in (he worked in agent carter). And he is preparing an entire slate of marvel studios produced shows that star movie actors and are overseen by him.

His mindset is pretty obvious. He will let loebs shows fade into oblivion and his shows will be the ones truly connected and acknowledged. Let me say it again in 6 years he hasnt acknowledged ANYTHING he wasnt involved in. Its pretty obvious why.

Did you read the ama? The guy highlights very well why its extremely unlikely to happen.

Even if the actors were willing to return feige wouldnt want them. Marvel tv shows exist for over 6 years and he hasnt hasnt referenced A SINGLE ONE that he personally hasnt worked in (he worked in agent carter). And he is preparing an entire slate of marvel studios produced shows that star movie actors and are overseen by him.

His mindset is pretty obvious. He will let loebs shows fade into oblivion and his shows will be the ones truly connected and acknowledged. Let me say it again in 6 years he hasnt acknowledged ANYTHING he wasnt involved in. Its pretty obvious why.

Yes I read it. Once again, much can change in 2 years time.

Nothing changed in over 6 so i personally doubt it. If feige is determined to keep loebs projects in limbo for so long i dont dee what will change his stance in two years. Especially since the shows are cancelled.

That's cool. You do you. Just because Loeb and Feige don't like each other doesn't mean the Netflix versions are done for good. We'll just have to see how this all plays out in a few years. I don't really care what the situation is with everything right now. We're looking at 2 years before anything can be done with them. Maybe Feige and/or Loeb move on to another job, maybe they become best friends for a random reason, maybe Hulu decides to revive them or Netflix opts to make a deal with Disney if they're swimming in debt, etc. Nobody knows at the end of the day how this will play out. All we really know is the shows are cancelled for now and we cannot see these characters for about 2 years. Everything else really is just speculatory. Shows have come back from long hiatuses before on rival networks. Nothing is impossible. So once again, until such time as these are actually announced as being rebooted or whatever, I will continue to cross my fingers that something is worked out in the future.

5 years ago, the prospect of the FF or the X-Men in the MCU seemed impossible. Spider-Man being in a MCU film also was impossible at one time. Things changed and they happened/are happening.

Last edited:
That's cool. You do you. Just because Loeb and Feige don't like each other doesn't mean the Netflix versions are done for good. We'll just have to see how this all plays out in a few years. I don't really care what the situation is with everything right now. We're looking at 2 years before anything can be done with them. Maybe Feige and/or Loeb move on to another job, maybe they become best friends for a random reason, maybe Hulu decides to revive them or Netflix opts to make a deal with Disney if they're swimming in debt, etc. Nobody knows at the end of the day how this will play out. All we really know is the shows are cancelled for now and we cannot see these characters for about 2 years. Everything else really is just speculatory. Shows have come back from long hiatuses before on rival networks. Nothing is impossible. So once again, until such time as these are actually announced as being rebooted or whatever, I will continue to cross my fingers that something is worked out in the future.

5 years ago, the prospect of the FF or the X-Men in the MCU seemed impossible. Spider-Man being in a MCU film also was impossible at one time. Things changed and they happened/are happening.
X-men, spidey and f4 situation isnt the same. Feige always wanted those characters back, it was the legal part of it that wouldnt allow it. He clearly has no desire to acknowledge those characters and nothing stops him. No movie rights, no execs, nothing. Its a completely different situation. There is a clear lack of will to accomodate loeb and ike.

X-men, spidey and f4 situation isnt the same. Feige always wanted those characters back, it was the legal part of it that wouldnt allow it. He clearly has no desire to acknowledge those characters and nothing stops him. No movie rights, no execs, nothing. Its a completely different situation. There is a clear lack of will to accomodate loeb and ike.

Once again, I understand the core argument. But you're doing nothing to sway my position. Feige may have no interest in those characters at all, in which case maybe Loeb will get to use them as he sees fit later. Thus continuing these versions. After all, Feige had no interest in them when this deal was made in the first place. Or again, things just may change in 2 years and Feige may see value in keeping Cox or the others around. We're arguing in circles at this point, amigo. If you choose to think it's over and everything is being rebooted, that is fine. Again, you do you. But you're not doing anything to make me lose hope or cross my fingers that we'll see these versions again. Maybe we won't, maybe we will. As I have stated many times, we shall see how everything plays out in 2 years time.

Once again, I understand the core argument. But you're doing nothing to sway my position. Feige may have no interest in those characters at all, in which case maybe Loeb will get to use them as he sees fit later. Thus continuing these versions. After all, Feige had no interest in them when this deal was made in the first place. Or again, things just may change in 2 years and Feige may see value in keeping Cox or the others around. We're arguing in circles at this point, amigo. If you choose to think it's over and everything is being rebooted, that is fine. Again, you do you. But you're not doing anything to make me lose hope or cross my fingers that we'll see these versions again. Maybe we won't, maybe we will. As I have stated many times, we shall see how everything plays out in 2 years time.
Me and the guy on the ama already explained why any studio whether its hulu or abc picking up shows where their previous seasons are in a direct competitor and cant be bought out wouldnt make no sense at all from a business point of view but i can see im not gonna change your mind. No studio will continue a show where 2-4 seasons are in a rival streaming service.

But like you said, you do you. Im not gonna change your mind.

The Reddit AMA was very interesting indeed. Seems legit enough, and it's nice to hear Charlie Cox is well liked across the board behind the scenes. I have no idea how hostile things are between Fiege and Loeb, but even in the worst case scenario someone is gonna wanna use Daredevil after next year when he's fair game. I still think there's hope to see Charlie again. He's well liked in the role and from a well received series, and his character is unlikely to be promoted to film level (marvel shipped him off to TV in the first place). If he returns on the small screen I don't think there's much to gain in recasting vs. bringing him back. It'll be a tough sell restarting with the character when the series is well regarded.

So with Mashershala Ali being cast as Blade, does that mean that the Netflix shows are being officially written out of continuity?

And does that mean there's no hope for any of these other actors reprising their roles? Will they be recast? Or will these actors even play different characters in the MCU?

So with Mashershala Ali being cast as Blade, does that mean that the Netflix shows are being officially written out of continuity?

And does that mean there's no hope for any of these other actors reprising their roles? Will they be recast? Or will these actors even play different characters in the MCU?
They still exist in continuity but until Netflix's rights to the characters/shows are returned in a few years, the characters in those shows aren't going to be a part of the future of the MCU.

I don't think it means anything, honestly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"