Keep Hope Alive: Marvel Netflix Series Edition

Discussion in 'Upcoming Marvel on Disney+' started by pr0xyt0xin, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Dr. Evil Registered

Kind of surprised to be honest that they haven't gone after TBS/TNT for All Elite Wrestling. I would have thought they would go after AEW for allowing blood and swearing.

TheVileOne likes this.
  2. TheVileOne Registered

3. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Yeah, but that isn't the PTC or similar groups, its the competitors and advertisers. Probably for a couple reasons:

1. All the parties that a hypothetical family oriented group might try to leverage, are *already* moving against it.

2. Its wrestling, very few people care whether its family friendly ( as opposed to whether its safe for the participants ).

3. Because wrestling isn't fictional TV ( sort of, allegedly ) but a form of "sports", its not very useful for gaining greater control over TV in general

Basically, when you look at a group like the PTC, think "PETA": rife with extremism and apparent hypocrisy. The PTC isn't interested in advocacy that doesn't at least theoretically advance their cause of "gaining editorial control over all broadcast TV".

TheVileOne likes this.
  4. TheVileOne Registered

Frankly I've heard little of PTC until this latest publicity stunt about Disney+. I was frankly shocked they were still around.

No one should've even published that press release anyway. It's dumb.

5. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Filmfreak and TheVileOne like this.
  6. Holy Slapper Registered

I hope they give DD a proper radar sense if there is a reboot of sorts.

#332 Holy Slapper, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    Iceman and TheVileOne like this.
  7. TheVileOne Registered

You know this is a good point. I was never satisfied with how they used it on Netflix. There's literally just one shot of it, and then we never see it ever again.

The 2003 movie wasn't great and had its flaws, but they did actually try to visualize how the radar sense works. Spider-Man: The Animated Series did it too. I was always curious about that because the show set it up in that one episode but they never revisit it "The world on fire."

Holy Slapper likes this.
  8. Dr. Evil Registered

If they bring back these characters from the Defenders world, I think they add a new member in Echo. I can't see a repeat of their encounter with Elektra since I would think Echo would be a lot more heroic by then. I don't know if they bring back the Punisher. The new parental controls means he can come back without being neutered, but well....his symbol has been corrupted. Depending on what happens to Moon Knight at the end of his series, I could see him being the Punisher replacement in the Defenders MCU.

9. NewYorkSpider EndGame

10. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I wonder if there is a chilling of relations between Sony and Disney, hence not wanting to continue promoting NWH right now.

11. SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

12. Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

No it's probably something simplier than that. The team that run Marvel's website probably have nothing to do with Marvel Studios. So they probably edited the page then were later told to remove it.

Batgirl0202 likes this.
  13. SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

14. Detective Conan Registered

The Man Without Fear Returns.

15. NotNickFury Registered

The writers don't exactly fill me with confidence, with hits like the CW's Containment or Covert Affairs. But stranger things have happened: Daredevil's third season showrunner came from Arrow, and the Russos gave us Winter Soldier despite also doing the timeless You, Me, and Dupree.

We'll see.

Batgirl0202 likes this.
  16. Detective Conan Registered

17. Filmfreak Registered

My main fear is it will be very toned down due to Disney+. Fisk's appearance in Hawkeye and Moon Knight didn't fill me with any confidence on something darker than the usual Feige flair.

Batgirl0202 and blackdragon6 like this.
  18. Dr. Evil Registered

Was Daredevil always a dark character in the comics? Because if there was a run in the comics of a lighter Daredevil story, I think Disney would go that route and have the new show be inspired by that Daredevil comics run, assuming of course there is a lighter Daredevil comics run.

19. Filmfreak Registered

Oh, I think the majority were much much lighter runs. But:
    A. For me the most iconic and personal favourites were the Miller, Brubaker and Bendis runs, from which they certainly took inspiration in the Netflix show, and
    B. I have even more of an issue with the inevitable tone change because they're keeping the actors from that series. If they were to do a complete reboot it would have been something different, but why revive something due to fan demand and then change what people liked about it?

I guess we'll wait and see, but I expect the Disney+ version to be clean, with no blood and gore, and with many more jokes.

blackdragon6 likes this.
  20. Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

While I too like darker runs from people like Miller and Brubaker (and more recently from Chip Zdarsky) , I don't think they're the only way you need to do Daredevil. I felt the Mark Waid run from 10 years ago was a nice change a pace for the character, especially after everything that happened to him the few years leading up to it including Shadowland. I thought it was a good mixture of light-hearted, swashbuckling-eque stories while still maintaining serious matters in Matt's personal life (like Foggy's health issues). Despite the first glance at the artwork(which was great btw), Matt was still having his normal crisis of faith and psychological issues that's been so heavily connected to the character. If they took a page out of that run, I don't think I'd mind that.

#346 Venom 1988, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
    Batgirl0202 likes this.
  21. Mike Murdock Registered

FWIW, I don't think Frank Miller's original run is as dark as people remember it. Certainly not as dark as Bendis or Brubaker. Issues like the Paper Chase and Guts were almost comedy stories.

Batgirl0202 and Venom 1988 like this.
  22. Filmfreak Registered

I recently got into Born Again and it's still pretty grim, but most of Miller's run I haven't read in years, if at all. Still, I think you have to judge something for the time it was out and not by today's standards.

23. Silvermoth Krakoan native

24. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!