Keep Hope Alive: Marvel Netflix Series Edition

The Netflix shows never should have had any type of connection to the MCU in the first place. It never amounted to anything satisfying, just useless easter eggs. And in exchange, the shows are being viewed in a more and more inferior light as the MCU distances itself from them, and will be largely viewed as "rejects" once Feige just up and does his own completely different thing with one or more of those characters.

Whereas if they'd just been completely separate from the get go, like DC's TV shows, people would view them as their own self-contained universe and judge them accordingly. They might have even had a decent chance of getting revived, eventually, since fan support would be less likely to fizzle out.

I don't know if I agree. I don't think these shows suffered the same way Agents Of Shield did as a 'bolt-on' continuity. They were ground level and self-contained, and overall fairly naturally detached from the events of the movies. The 1-2 punch of the dreadful Iron Fist and disappointing Defenders team up did the damage in my opinion, and would have regardless of continuity.
I always wondered what was the acceptable amount of crossover needed. Anything short of Jeremy Renner showing up on a TV show or a TV show character on a movie translates into no shared universe for them. The Easter Eggs are the crossover, in a way never done between movies and TV before.

If the premise is that the earth only has the amount of enhanced people that you can count on two hands okay. But on the other hand if the enhanced had indeed increased in an exponential amount like Vision said then may of these complaints about a lack of connection is like the news not reporting on a car crash a few blocks away from a train derailing.

Every time a NetFlix MCU New Yorker mentioned that you must be "one of those" pointed to a much larger world where the Devil of Hell's Kitchen is only known by us, and then he is only special because we, the viewer at home, knows that he is blind. And in the larger MCU theory masses of Inhumans have appeared and only a bulletproof ex con in Harlem gets more than a nod, but then just because of his demonstrated durability.

The Easter Eggs are the crossover, in a way never done between movies and TV before.

Because it's utterly and completely unsatisfying, which is why they abandoned that tactic for the disney+ shows that will be connected to the movies in a satisfying and meaningful way.

the premise is that the earth only has the amount of enhanced people that you can count on two hands okay. But on the other hand if the enhanced had indeed increased in an exponential amount like Vision said then may of these complaints about a lack of connection is like the news not reporting on a car crash a few blocks away from a train derailing.

Every time a NetFlix MCU New Yorker mentioned that you must be "one of those" pointed to a much larger world where the Devil of Hell's Kitchen is only known by us, and then he is only special because we, the viewer at home, knows that he is blind. And in the larger MCU theory masses of Inhumans have appeared and only a bulletproof ex con in Harlem gets more than a nod, but then just because of his demonstrated durability.

You're completely missing the point. The point isn't that it's unfeasible for the Netflix heroes to exist in the MCU without crossing over, the point is simply that it's lame.

Like, for all we know, Seinfeld and Gilmore Girls could exist in the same universe. Nothing contradicts it. But would either show be better off with random easter eggs tossed in that vaguely reference the other show? No, it would just be pointless references.

Remember, none of these shows actually exist. They are all fiction. What we see on screen is what there is. And if what we get on screen never amounts to anything satisfying, it's worthless. It's all a tease. It just leads people on for no good reason.

Yeah, the Marvel-Netflix verse is dead.

If the characters ever make a return and Feige has a say on it, he's going to want to cast his own people. He never had any input or anything on the previous era of Marvel TV shows. It's kinda sad, but that's just how it's going to be.

The good thing is at least now the TV shows actually have a chance of crossing over with the movies now, which they were never going to do before.

Not really big news, since this was expected for sometime but just posting as a reminder.

Will Marvel keep Cox, and just use him in the MCU or will they simply recast him and start anew with a new version of the character for the “real” MCU?

I think Cox will stay.

Could go either way really but I say bring him baaaack. Marvel have brought many characters to screen, they'll get a bigger pop if it is Cox under the cowl.

Mz350NN.jpg

Saw this online and thought it might be helpful.

Good to know. So it's not long at all till all the rights are back.

I would like some clarification. They get the character and film TV rights for those characters yes, but does Netflix continue to own the past shows? Seems like the do.

People like Charles Murphy, Daniel Richtman, Charles Villanueva, etc. keep saying things like "Charlie Cox will be Daredevil in Spider-Man 3" and "Krysten Ritter will be Jessica Jones in She-Hulk". I just wish something would be reported by one of the places that's more reliable so I can actually get excited for something.

Jessica Jones in She-Hulk doesn't seem to make sense. She-Hulk is typically more light-hearted and frivolous. Jessica Jones was a very serious show with a brooding and hard-drinking lead character who didn't seem to want anything to do with the more fantastical side of super heroics.

Jessica Jones in She-Hulk doesn't seem to make sense. She-Hulk is typically more light-hearted and frivolous. Jessica Jones was a very serious show with a brooding and hard-drinking lead character who didn't seem to want anything to do with the more fantastical side of super heroics.

I don't know, it could work as an occasional routine, with a slightly less grim Jessica playing straight woman. I wouldn't want to do it too often, mind, more as a "here's a one or two episode arc involving Ms Jones the Private Detective".

I definitely think it could work if they wanted to have her. In the comics a character like Wolverine can gruesomely rip apart sex traffickers one week and help out a group of child superheroes find their missing friend the next depending on what comic he's in. Same in movies with a character like Machete. This might also be the case if Deadpool shows up in any other MCU movies than his own. That said, I can see why they may not want to do that and I definitely have a hard time believing this rumor right now until a more reliable source backs it up.

That or he's unsure to answer that question, because if he just said 'No,' whether truthfully or a denial, he probably knows he'd let down those people unable to accept a new actor playing Daredevil down the line that isn't Charlie Cox.

If he just said 'No,' folks would think something akin to 'Oh, he's just being coy' or 'No...for now.'

Does it make me a petty person that if they bring all the Defenders back into the MCU that I kind of want to rub it in the faces of all the "it's not cannon!!!!" peeps?

I still don't see them reviving the Netflix characters/shows, unless they can find some way of getting the rights to the previous seasons away from Netflix.

The entire reason that Marvel is developing a huge slate of series in the MCU is to drive subscriptions to Disney+. Why would they revive any shows or characters that would require people to subscribe to a rival subscription service to see their backstory.

If we're going to get anything more than a cameo from any of the current characters then I think they'll be at least soft rebooted with new origins that aren't on Netflix, if not a hard recast and reboot.

We already have rumors of both Cox and Ritter coming back, so reviving the characters is not at all out of the question. Whether they bring back the entire shows, we will see. But we already have plenty of rumors backing up the characters may in fact be returning

I still don't see them reviving the Netflix characters/shows, unless they can find some way of getting the rights to the previous seasons away from Netflix.

The entire reason that Marvel is developing a huge slate of series in the MCU is to drive subscriptions to Disney+. Why would they revive any shows or characters that would require people to subscribe to a rival subscription service to see their backstory.

If we're going to get anything more than a cameo from any of the current characters then I think they'll be at least soft rebooted with new origins that aren't on Netflix, if not a hard recast and reboot.

If you are Marvel/Disney and you bring back the actors who portrayed those characters in a Disney+ show or a movie, why do you care if a consumer wants to go back an see that character on Netflix? You've already got their subscription or movie ticket. Also, what is the possible size of the population that has D+ but does not have Netflix? It has got to be relatively small.

I still fail to see the downside in bringing these actors back to play slightly modified (for Disney) versions of those characters. Recasting brings at-best a marginal upgrade over actors who are already well received by critics and fans. It is an unnecessary risk on Feige's part.

Does it make me a petty person that if they bring all the Defenders back into the MCU that I kind of want to rub it in the faces of all the "it's not cannon!!!!" peeps?

Maybe a little bit, but also not. My own issue with the "none of it is canon" people is that. . . fundamentally it seems motivated by the axiom "these characters should be just as important and broad scale as the Avengers". Which is, to put bluntly, nonsense. Heroes can and should exist at all scales of action, with the world needing both globe-striding demigods, and also street level crime fighters, and everything in between. Not everyone needs to be an Avenger, and not everyone *should even be meaningfully capable of being an Avenger*.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"