Keith_v's Fan Art

Those last 2 are really neat. Done in painter?

Yep. I really like the program. I know it's minimal compared to some higher end programs, but I'd rather be forced to do everything myself first before I have a rediculously expensive program that can paint an entire image with the touch of a button.

Here's another portfolio piece I'm working on. It's an alien sniper. Just like I did with the armored vehicle concept, I'm trying to do this one entirely from memory without any references.

aliensniperwip1ya1.jpg

Here's another update on the alien concept.

aliensniperwip2hw4.jpg

thats looking pretty sweet so far, i cant wait to see the finished carnage piece too

thats looking pretty sweet so far, i cant wait to see the finished carnage piece too

Thanks! I think I'm going to put Carnage on hold for a while. I've been playing around with a lot of new techniques, abd I want to wait until I find one that's just right to finish the Carnage portrait off with.

Your paintings are outstanding. Well done.

Thanks!

Here's an environment concept that I just finished, and my current progess on the alien sniper. Not too much more done on it, just a little work on the tentacles and filling in the shape of the gun.

shantycastle1smallmg8.jpg

aliensniperwip3rm4.jpg

great stuff keith

thanks especially for the sniper rifle tutorial... interesting technique! i'm gonna try me some of that! i don't have painter so i'll be adapting it for photoshop, which generally seems feasible... but can you explain to me the properties of a gel layer in painter? thanks

also

I'd rather be forced to do everything myself first before I have a rediculously expensive program that can paint an entire image with the touch of a button.

where can I get me one of those programs that can paint an entire image at the touch of a button? :cwink::woot:

great stuff keith

thanks especially for the sniper rifle tutorial... interesting technique! i'm gonna try me some of that! i don't have painter so i'll be adapting it for photoshop, which generally seems feasible... but can you explain to me the properties of a gel layer in painter? thanks

also

where can I get me one of those programs that can paint an entire image at the touch of a button? :cwink::woot:

Ha ha... well, the programs don't exactly paint the image for you, but they do come close. I see a lot of people create landscapes, that while are decent, they bring the image into multiple effects programs to jazz up everything from the lighting to the texture. Some people do it to the point that the picture just looks like a grainy mess with splashes of green and pink thrown in.

The only preset effect I use is some lighting, and that is only on a few of my images, in very, very small doses. I don't alter the texture of the canvas with preset filters and I paint all of my textures. I try to rely on the program as little as possible.

As for a gel layer, I'll try to explain it as clearly as I can; a gel layer causes the lighter areas of an image to become more transparent. Blacks stay black, but white becomes entirely transparent. The darker grey ares retain their color more so than the lighter grey areas. It basically takes an image and makes it into a transparency. This allows you to color the layer underneath the gel layer, and you'll be able to see the colors. If that isn't clear, just let me know

i really like your environment pieces, keith. nice contrasts between light and dark colors.

i really like your environment pieces, keith. nice contrasts between light and dark colors.

Thanks!

It's actually funny, because I tend to like images that have a bit less contrast and more of a flatter, more subtle color scheme. I've been trying to up the contrast in my images, because subtley doesn't catch anyone's attention and get you jobs. The one thing I've learned with concept art, it can never be too dramatic.

I'm happy my efforts aren't going unnoticed!

Here's another update on my alien concept. I decided to go with a very organic look for the gun...

aliensniperwip4kj8.jpg

Hey Keith, great work man. You are truly talented. I was going to make a request, if you think it might be something you're interested in. I'm working on a Spider-Man, Superman, Batman comic, and I need an epic style poster of the three heroes. I thought, if your interest my have been peaked, I would be honored to have an original design from you. You seem to spit art out like it's nothing, so if you have time and want to do it, like i said, i'd be honored. we're using the Batman Begins batsuit, and the Superman Returns superman. And the movie Spider-man, of course. Here's what Barney came up with:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5637/superheroshowdownpostersl5.jpg

Thanks!

Hey Keith, great work man. You are truly talented. I was going to make a request, if you think it might be something you're interested in. I'm working on a Spider-Man, Superman, Batman comic, and I need an epic style poster of the three heroes. I thought, if your interest my have been peaked, I would be honored to have an original design from you. You seem to spit art out like it's nothing, so if you have time and want to do it, like i said, i'd be honored. we're using the Batman Begins batsuit, and the Superman Returns superman. And the movie Spider-man, of course. Here's what Barney came up with:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5637/superheroshowdownpostersl5.jpg

I'll PM you about it, and thanks for the compliments!

Here's a warrior concept I started last night and finished this morning...

warrior1smallxh3.jpg

Cool, very creepy, would hate to meet him on the battlefield

Thanks! It had been a while since I had done anything really over the top violent and visceral, so I wanted to have fun with the pic.

Well, you did a good job

Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some type clay or sculpting material. I'm looking for something that doesn't need to be cooked. If it can be painted, that's great, but I'm more concerned with moldability and not needing to be cooked.

I'm looking to add some sculpts of my concept designs to my portfolio, so I would need it to be able to be sculpted in the shape of a human and other organic creatures.

If anyone could help me out, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some type clay or sculpting material. I'm looking for something that doesn't need to be cooked. If it can be painted, that's great, but I'm more concerned with moldability and not needing to be cooked.

I'm looking to add some sculpts of my concept designs to my portfolio, so I would need it to be able to be sculpted in the shape of a human and other organic creatures.

If anyone could help me out, it would be much appreciated.
You can't go wrong with the typical Blick gray modeling clay. Can't really be painted though. It can be used to create molds for resin casting (which can be painted) but I've never attempted to do anything like that. I've just bought the models and painted them.

Here's another update on my alien concept. I decided to go with a very organic look for the gun...

aliensniperwip4kj8.jpg

very cool! love the fact that, despite the fact it's obviously a dude holding a gun, it's not exactly clear where the dude ends and the gun begins!

You can't go wrong with the typical Blick gray modeling clay. Can't really be painted though. It can be used to create molds for resin casting (which can be painted) but I've never attempted to do anything like that. I've just bought the models and painted them.

I looked for this clay, but had to settle for Sculpey. I'm definitely going to be looking out for Blick if I ever come across any. Thanks for the tip!

very cool! love the fact that, despite the fact it's obviously a dude holding a gun, it's not exactly clear where the dude ends and the gun begins!

Thanks! I had figured since the alien isn't too complex and the gun is pretty complex and detailed, I could sort of blend the two together without it looking incoherent.

I jope you mold this into a sculpture it would be awesome.

I just bought some clay, so let's see where it takes me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"