Kenner did actually make an accurate Returns batman figure

theman

Civilian
Reaction score
i just bought this off ebay, not sure if you guys knew about it but the deluxe "fire bolt batman" from the kenner line has accurate Returns armor that snaps on the front, and even though the figure itself has a gold color, the armor is actually the Returns style armor, not the muscle version from the first film. i plan on doing a bit of repainting but its cool that they actually did make a Returns style batman. funny that i never noticed but i was just browsing through some figures and it occured to me that this is the only figure in the whole Returns line to actually have the correct armor from the film. all the other figures were the B89 repaints.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Wicked. I never actually owned that particular figure.

I know the WB store put out a Batman Returns statue back in 92/93... They released it along with some signed Michael Keaton Batman posters. I remember seeing it then when I was in Los Angeles with my Dad... I have never seen the figure again. Neither on eBay or anywhere else. :csad:

sounds awsome! i also have a batman forever umbrella tin can but i always used it as a tall garbage can, i got it as a gift from the WB studio store that same year, but for some reason i never see it online. its really nice though with paintings of all 4 characters.

this one is their most accurate. i still have this figure and it's in good condition as well :yay:

98.95.jpg

yes that is the most accurate in the 12" scale, but im talking about the 4" scale figures, especially since those were what the majority of the line consisted of. im eagerly awaiting that keaton batman by hot toys next year.

also this figure was featured in those batman movie 2 packs in the late 90's. i remember seeing these in stores, they had them for all 4 films i think. kenner knew that this was the accurate Returns version (despite the gold color), thats why included it with the catwoman. too bad they didnt include the Returns snap on armor.

Heck, those figures were never accurate to Batman 89. The torso sculpt was straight off the Super Powers Batman figs with a re-sculpted belt and the addition of the scalloped flaps from the cowl.

The closest thing to the Batman 89 torso was the Toy Biz Batman 89 figure. It even had the gauntlets. Overall it was a crappy figure, though. The head sculpt was the worst.

i never noticed, but the kenner dark knight collection sculpt looked very good overall, the boots and chest were correct but the logo wasnt the B89 one. as a kid i never even noticed that the B89 symbol was different. still, the sculpt is damn good and the head sculpt looks just like keaton and is just great overall, and thats not just nostalgia speaking. it beats the crappy bale batman figures that mattel did. too bad though about penguin, he was completely ditched because of the fact he was too "scary" for kids.

Why was the logo different on his suit in Batman 1989? Its really strange considering all the promo material had the standard symbol as did the bat signal and batwing in the film itself.
The toybiz Batman was pretty ordinary, I came across this which was interesting and it relates to the chest symbol question
BATMAN89accessorysetMIB.jpg

Umm, what's your point? On all the promo material during 1989 the batman logo was different to the logo on batmans costume during the film. Like the one on the role play kit. What's interesting is most (if not all) of the other role play or batman costumes had the promo logo, the one most people familiarize with Batman. As a kid I always wondered why the stuff we could buy ie costumes, had a different bat symbol than what was worn in the movie. Those were confusing times for a 6yr old with all these different Batmen thru media. I had the 60s batman and robin with eyebrows, comic book batman who was dealing with robin dying, cartoon batman, who hung out with robin, wonderwoman, superman and co who never fought the riddler or catwoman and this new batman, with no robin who wore all black.

So to answer your STUPID question. Yes I've seen Batman 1989. I saw it in the cinema, s*itting myself with excitement in 1989.

Last edited:
dark vengeance must have gotten confused or something lol. superest hero was just saying that the promo stuff for B89 all had the original logo yet batman himself had the altered symbol. i wonder why this was myself.

Tim Burton and Bob Ringwood wanted the symbol on Batman's chest to be more ''masculine'' or something. I forget the exact quote, but it was something along those lines.

ok, so here is my near completed Returns figure.

i didnt really have to do much, i took the Returns batman from this set and spray painted it black (it was all gold colored) and then painted the belt the bronze yello, and then glued the chest piece to the chest. the only thing is the chest looks a little bit puffed out now, but it still looks pretty good, and much accurate then it was before. i had to alter the cape a bit cuz that plastic ring would fit around the head right anymore. i really like this figure though, to my knoledge its the only Returns - style figure in the whole line. the gloves, boots, body armor and chest piece are all Returns acurate. i dont get why they would make the Returns accurate chest piece only part of a deluxe line and not on all the new fgures. strange. well, the only thing left to is create a proper bat symbol on the chesr piece and im toying with the idea of getting actual rubber type cloth for the cape to make it more accurate.

Last edited:
Why was the logo different on his suit in Batman 1989? Its really strange considering all the promo material had the standard symbol as did the bat signal and batwing in the film itself.
The toybiz Batman was pretty ordinary, I came across this which was interesting and it relates to the chest symbol question
BATMAN89accessorysetMIB.jpg

Classic, I had that. Too bad I was too young to collect back in the day.

ok, so here is my near completed Returns figure.

i didnt really have to do much, i took the Returns batman from this set and spray painted it black (it was all gold colored) and then painted the belt the bronze yello, and then glued the chest piece to the chest. the only thing is the chest looks a little bit puffed out now, but it still looks pretty good, and much accurate then it was before. i had to alter the cape a bit cuz that plastic ring would fit around the head right anymore. i really like this figure though, to my knoledge its the only Returns - style figure in the whole line. the gloves, boots, body armor and chest piece are all Returns acurate. i dont get why they would make the Returns accurate chest piece only part of a deluxe line and not on all the new fgures. strange. well, the only thing left to is create a proper bat symbol on the chesr piece and im toying with the idea of getting actual rubber type cloth for the cape to make it more accurate.

Awesome. I would be interested in seeing how a modified cape would look on a Kenner Batman.

Umm, what's your point? On all the promo material during 1989 the batman logo was different to the logo on batmans costume during the film. Like the one on the role play kit. What's interesting is most (if not all) of the other role play or batman costumes had the promo logo, the one most people familiarize with Batman. As a kid I always wondered why the stuff we could buy ie costumes, had a different bat symbol than what was worn in the movie. Those were confusing times for a 6yr old with all these different Batmen thru media. I had the 60s batman and robin with eyebrows, comic book batman who was dealing with robin dying, cartoon batman, who hung out with robin, wonderwoman, superman and co who never fought the riddler or catwoman and this new batman, with no robin who wore all black.

So to answer your STUPID question. Yes I've seen Batman 1989. I saw it in the cinema, s*itting myself with excitement in 1989.
ohhh looks like someone got very upset over nothing haha

here i have added the accurate bat symbol to the Returns batman, and you can see a side by side comparison with a normal B89 batman. the returns batman is actually taller and you can see that aside from the face sculpt, they are completely different figures.

what i also like is that the spray painted black i used on the Returns batman matches the Returns armor very nicely, and it gives it that amtte black color just like in the film, whereas the B89 batman is more that shinier black black like it was in B89. i am thinking about putting an accurate B89 emblem on him just so that they can both be as accurate as possible. overall im happy with this custom job. ive been wanting to do this for a couple of years since i found out about the deluxe figure haveing Returns armor. it wasnt that difficult really.

Last edited:
His arms look very "simian" in that 2nd figure

lol yeah i did notice they are very long on the Returns figure, but i think thats due to the "action feature" it has. when you press his legs toegther his right arm flies up. kinda neat actually lol.

Like the Shadow wing Batman? I always thought this was the closest they ever got to Keaton's likeness...

100_0100.jpg

all the sculpts for the kenner line were the same i think. but i did always want to batman with the arm pop action.

this one is their most accurate. i still have this figure and it's in good condition as well :yay:

98.95.jpg

I have this! It was a birthday present from my folk. It is one of the best renderings of the Keaton era Batman.

that's probably the only one that really looks like Keaton in any way. I might have to snag one on eBay ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"