BvS Kevin Costner IS Jonathan Kent

John-An

Wonder Fingers!
Reaction score
One of the most emotional scenes of BvS for a Superman fan.

The one between Pa Kent and Clark. Goosebumps.

man-of-steel-43.jpg

If Lauren Cohan as Martha Wayne or Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Thomas Wayne have a thread, I think its fair for a character who had one of the best Superman scenes in the movie to have his own thread.

You can share your opinion regarding his scene in this movie, pics of him that are released, gifs of the scene (when released) or whatever you want from the actor that are BvS related.

Last edited:
They did a great job keeping his appearance a secret, and the conversation (memory recall / dream) was fantastic as once again his advice puts Clark back on the right path.

Tied with the cold open for best scene of BvS. The "I miss you son. I miss you too" was a real gut punch.

I found the scene very strange.

My favorite scene in any superman film thus far, maybe cbms.
(notice I didn't say best).

Love the ambiguity of it.

It kept connective tissue between MoS and BvS, and showed that Clark misses and values his father even though he previously dismissed Superman as nothing but a concept of a Kansas farmer. It contrasted against Bruce's following scene too, where he's at the crypt. Clark is being reflectful, and Bruce is gearing up for war, reminding himself the Waynes were hunters. And that's what he'll be too.

Kevin Costner is damn near perfect casting.

It kept connective tissue between MoS and BvS, and showed that Clark misses and values his father even though he previously dismissed Superman as nothing but a concept of a Kansas farmer. It contrasted against Bruce's following scene too, where he's at the crypt. Clark is being reflectful, and Bruce is gearing up for war, reminding himself the Waynes were hunters. And that's what he'll be too.
I do think the wayne one could have been an opportunity to tie down the martha stuff one last time for the various people that are still not feeling it.

As for jon, I liked that it in itself was a microcosm of what Jon has been to this saga. In the more traditional adaption the story would have ended with the hero cake and that would have been that, but in this approach things are also more complex, there is kick back and consequence even if contrived. It goes in line with who the person jon was in mos, he see's the world from the 'maybe' angle not just one or the other. His story was very poignant in that it framed Clarks actions up to this point, thinking he was some big hero but as to the point of the senate hearing plot point, all that he is comes with consequence. For me jon is all about advice and insight when it comes to his mythos, and there is something about Costners insight thus far that as been so interesting and challenging in the world of superman. Putting this on the big screen and not some comic book...

In the end the speech boiled down to two things as it did in the prior movie. I love you dad/son. And the hope found in why to keep going.

My favorite scene in any superman film thus far, maybe cbms.
(notice I didn't say best).

Love the ambiguity of it.
I lost my Dad nearly nine years ago.
I did not even care that the scene didn't make sense.
And yes, I cried.

I lost my Dad nearly nine years ago.
I did not even care that the scene didn't make sense.
And yes, I cried.

It's a beautiful moment when he says "I miss you son", as you know it's a dream he's really saying "I miss you dad"

I think it's like the scene between Peter and Uncle Ben in Spidey 2 (Raimi)

The scene of Pa Kent in BvS I accept I never expected him to be here and, honestly, but if you think about it, it's one of the scenes that made more sense of the film.

I think it was perfect moment as we saw clark lost and looking for answers, what better than his dad answering them. My point of view tho.

----

As for the Martha thing... I think we didn't need too much of it because:

First: This was an introduction of Batman but we knew this by the multiple times we have seen it in different media, and this was a movie with Superman into the mix. There were enough elements (people knowing how much Bruce loves his parents and all the background people have on their minds, make at least to us fans who know it and even general audience to FEEL that scene) I bet if we have more things of it, people would have complained: But we knew that, why they spent so much time on this while other things needed to be explained, I bet on it :funnny:

If you tell me this was a batsolo (even there too much of the Waynes, thing that we already know really well) then I would give them a point but no, here there was enough balance between the 2 (you know the Martha needed to work on the other side too and Cavill was perfect there with the emotion to make Bruce feel like he just was a guy, superpowered, trying to save his mom. That was the connection and if they didn't feel it, well... IDK what to say to that, the majority felt it and very MUCH, from what I've been seeing and hearing in multiple places (not only internet ones).

I think IMHO, that the scene was touching because IDK, we as sons and daughters have an special bond to our mother, and we DON'T NEED an EXPLANATION for that to FEEL it. At least not in my book. And if you add our knowledge of that scene that was done MANY and MANY TIMES AGO, I think that was so powerful, at least to many of us. I would say this is nitpicking just for the sake of nitpick, IMO of course.

Another thing. while it wouldn't be as touching like with his mom but would be the same case, is if the case was that both their dads were named Jonathan or Thomas, as Bruce loves his PARENTS SO MUCH. Or people that didn't feel it, maybe didn't have enough knowledge besides TDKT (not explored as well as this IMO) as many of us have in the comics.

What made the scene really TOUCHING was these things:

We saw Bruce SUFFERING and SEEING while BOTH of their parents tried to protect him, add that the fact about Martha's love for Clark. Yeah all those things made it a really EMOTIVE one.

However, who knows, maybe we get to explore more of that relationship (as it should be, in a solo movie) in the batsolo, but I hope it's not as big as some want. I think we don't need too much screen time to acknowledge it for what it is. or maybe we get an extra scene as part of those 30 mins. We will see.

----

Sorry for the off-topic.

As for Jonathan. It was superb that scene. The dialogue, the feeling, wow, it was awesome. This Jonathan has more deep that we gave credit for.

I always have seen this version as the most human of all Pa Kents. Not to mention the most wiser, always having the best answer in an IMPARTIAL way to teach his son the best but LETTING HIM CHOOSE in the end. and always wanting the better for his son. Again, this is my perception.

Last edited:
I'm going to say what I said in the what went wrong thread.
Pa Kent in the DCEU is great concept, not executed the best.

Snyder's version of Pa Kent (and Ma Kent) are two normal people for the most part. They don't feel the need to force their child to be the savior of the world, they just want him to happy. Pa Kent realizes that the world won't be nice to Clark when he reveals himself to the world, this is vindicated by what happens in BVS. Pa Kent loves his son so much he dies in MOS to prevent the bystanding people from watching Clark use his super strength. But it's kind of a weird moment, Pa Kent goes to save a dog, and gets his leg caught in a car.

Then in BVS Pa Kent tries to tell his son in a dream like sequence that doing the right thing doesn't always lead to good results all the time, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do the right thing. His story about how he saved his farm, but screwed over the Lang's farm in the process drowning their horses was also a little weird. Then Pa Kent started talking about how this gave him nightmares that wouldn't go away in sleep until Martha consoled him.

I think this Pa Kent is more of a matter tastes and perspective/opinion thing. A realistic old-fashioned and good hearted farmboy that shown nothing other than love for his son.

You can like the version or not. that's another thing. But I think it was more the points were not having the old Pa Kent (perfect but for the time it was but in these times with all **** is happening we needed a more modern, full honest no matter if it the truth hurts, a guy who goes to main point but at the same time having the essence of the caracter and the most important thing, being good-hearted and LOVE his SON at all cost)

Don't confuse bad execution with I didn't expect it that way or I didn't like the way it was shown, that IMO made it really hard to some fans to follow or catch some IMPORTANT things. I repeat, my opinion :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"