Kevin Feige’s MCU Future in the Era of Bob Chapek

Jordanstine

Civilian
Reaction score
I read that very concerning article posted by Variety about the new Disney shakeup being implemented by Bob Chapek as the era of Bob Iger comes to an end this coming December 2021: (Disney’s New World Order Leads to Confusion and Bruised Egos)

One of these changes once Iger steps down is that Allan Horn will be leaving as well, he is technically the “boss” of Kevin Feige since Iger stepped in and removed Ike Perlmutter who was whom Feige used to report to and the go between to Horn.

Back in 2015 it was reported that Feige almost left Marvel due to clashes he had with Perlmutter: (Kevin Feige nearly left the MCU over diversity clashes with Ike Perlmutter, according to Mark Ruffalo - The Beat) Iger stepped in and took that extra layer away so Feige now had a direct contact with Horn instead of having to always go through Perlmutter.

With Iger gone and now Chapek running things, he’s going to replace Horn, one of the most successful film executives in the last 40 years, with Alan Bergman, who is not a film executive at all - he ran finance for Disney. Rumors then had that Horn was grooming Feige to become an eventual successor. However the biggest issue with Chapek’s shakeup is putting that extra managerial layer back again between the producers and executives, people in distribution who will now have more power than producers, making it harder for creators and producers to get their work/creations out, something Feige almost left Marvel for because of Perlmutter. Worst, seems that Chapek is basically promoting people who have don’t have the best experience for those positions, he’s promoting them because they’re “loyal to him”.

So not only might Feige have to go through an extra layer again to get approval from someone who isn’t even qualified, but worst he’ll also be looking to get approval from an executive who has little if any knowledge of the film business. A lot of producers are already not happy with these changes being implemented at Disney right now, they’re starting to speak out.

Bob-ChapekLeadership.jpg

I'd like to believe they wouldn't be stupid enough to lose Feige in this way.
Unfortunately this type of studio executives are often quite stupid and counterproductive in my experience.
Let's hope they can make it work.

Guess it’s a question of just how stupid film execs can be. Hopefully there’s a limit to it.

According to the article Feige is okay with reporting to the ancient Alan Horn replacement, Alan Bergman. And just two years ago he gained control over Marvel TV and publishing. I didn't see anything in the article that suggests Feige is looking to move on from the Mouse.

According to the article Feige is okay with reporting to the ancient Alan Horn replacement, Alan Bergman. And just two years ago he gained control over Marvel TV and publishing. I didn't see anything in the article that suggests Feige is looking to move on from the Mouse.
Correct. In fact it wasn't even 3 days ago that Fiege said he is happy controlling the Marvel side of things rather than taking over Star Wars. The key word is happy.

Well he and Kevin both appeared in public at the grand ceremony opening of Avengers Campus at Disneyland California

At some point, MCU will end and characters like Iron Man, Thor and Capt. America would be rebooted and played by someone else for the newer generation. I just hope Kevin Feige would be able to finish what he started.

Couple days late, but reports are that Kevin Feige was really upset with Disney’s handling of Black Widow.

Report from the Wrap: Scarlett Johansson's Lawsuit and Disney Brand 'Carnage': Is CEO Bob Chapek to Blame?

Scarlett Johansson’s Lawsuit and Disney Brand ‘Carnage': Is CEO Bob Chapek to Blame?

“Disney’s approach under Iger would have been markedly different,” one lawyer says.

As Hollywood grapples with the bombshell lawsuit filed by Scarlett Johansson against Disney last Thursday, entertainment executives, agents and producers are split on what kind of fallout Disney will face and whether CEO Bob Chapek is to blame for the “carnage” to the company’s standing in Hollywood’s talent community.

Multiple insiders who spoke to TheWrap said they were surprised that the contract dispute was allowed to burst into public view at all. And while the industry may be facing a watershed moment over streaming and movie star profit participation, they also wonder if this is a crisis created by Chapek, who has few talent relationships and little practical experience dealing with movie stars. “It seems that Chapek is putting a lot of his industry and talent relations in the hands of his distribution group, which has proven to be inexperienced in the traditional ways that things are to be done,” one entertainment executive told TheWrap.

Kevin Feige had lobbied against the streaming plan for day-and-date and was not heeded. The decision seems to have sat with Chapek’s right hand man, Kareem Daniel, another executive with little to no experience managing talent relationships.

It says that now, but things could also change.

At some point, MCU will end and characters like Iron Man, Thor and Capt. America would be rebooted and played by someone else for the newer generation. I just hope Kevin Feige would be able to finish what he started.
IMO, Feige already finished what he set out to do with Endgame. Everything beyond that just seems like a bonus. If the MCU had ended there it still would be considered a very impressive feat.

He may have been more content with walking away from it all before acquiring the X-Men and Fantastic Four for the toy box when Disney purchased Fox and thus adding quite a bit more fuel in the tank but at this point Disney needs to keep him happy because if he goes, the quality of the MCU takes a nosedive.

On the other hand, if they feel they lost China due to Feige's decisions with the MCU...

On the other hand, if they feel they lost China due to Feige's decisions with the MCU...
If there was an uproar over Disney firing James Gunn, the ****storm that would happen if Feige were fired for that would be insurmountable.

What decisions did Feige make that “lost” them China?

Hiring Chloe Zhao, I guess.

IMO, Feige already finished what he set out to do with Endgame. Everything beyond that just seems like a bonus. If the MCU had ended there it still would be considered a very impressive feat.

He may have been more content with walking away from it all before acquiring the X-Men and Fantastic Four for the toy box when Disney purchased Fox and thus adding quite a bit more fuel in the tank but at this point Disney needs to keep him happy because if he goes, the quality of the MCU takes a nosedive.
Hmm. He said that he has plans until 2028 before Endgame opened.

I don't think greenlighting more than 10 films for phase 4 is just bonus for him at this point.

However, if you mentioned D+ shows, which wouldn't have happened if Disney didn't launch D+, okay then.

Hiring Chloe Zhao, I guess.
I don't think Chloe Zhao criticized China before she was hired to do Eternals. It was after she won the Oscars that she said something that didn't please the government of China, iirc.

Chloe Zhao in 2013:

"It goes back to when I was a teenager in China, being in a place where there are lies everywhere. You felt like you were never going to be able to get out. A lot of info I received when I was younger was not true, and I became very rebellious toward my family and my background. I went to England suddenly and relearned my history. Studying political science in a liberal arts college was a way for me to figure out what is real. Arm yourself with information, and then challenge that too."

If hiring someone who was being honest and mildly critical costs them China, then China and their ridiculous censorship can f themselves

id rather get varied and diverse films with different artistic voices that make 700m, then a chinese approved 1b flick that plays it safe

Last edited:
The entire thing about China continues to baffle me. For all of the US's faults, and they are legion, not allowing a movie to play because it's critical of your policies seems both out there and bad for the long term health of a society.

Forget it Jake, it’s China(town)….

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"