Kick ash 2 announcement coming soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think actors should be allowed to make political statements.

People expect them to completely sell their souls for money and fame.

They're still humans and individuals.

If Carrey is anti-gun or pro-gun he should be allowed to say so. If his feelings have changed since filming he should be allowed to say so.

Perhaps actors should think a little more before signing on the bottom line if things in a film they agree to make are going to actually offend themselves.

Carey is 100% entitled to his opinion of course, that's what freedom of speech is about, but perhaps he should have cleared his own mind first rather than after the event. Too late now obviously as the film is made but if he doesn't believe in screen violence then he should not make any more such films and I assume he wont.

I agree with you regarding Millar's way of talking, but I don't recall any actors saying those scenes were removed. Christopher Mintz-Plasse said it was down played (he even sounded relieved, "thank god") but not removed completely. I could be mistaken, but I don't remember anyone else being directly asked about those scenes. And this close to release I don't think anyone will.

Exactly. Also shooting on the film began before this event happened? The event just made what was in the film even more real and all the more disturbing for it, thus the shift in mind especially if it wasn't shot with tact in mind.

I know this isn't anything alike but before the events I had a script that showed a thirteen year old and two five year olds dying in gruesome ways to further a character's progression to becoming an anti-vigilante because of how much this impacted him, but looking back now AFTER the events - that aspect of it is seriously disturbing me PAST the disturbing element of it in the script. Kinda sickens me still right now. So, views can radically change after something like this happens.

Last edited:

If Carrey is anti-gun or pro-gun he should be allowed to say so. If his feelings have changed since filming he should be allowed to say so.
Agreed.

So, all the others shootings that occurred few months before he signed on KA2 didn't change his heart ?
It looks like he covering his back in advance for the backlash the film will get for being too violent.

So, all the others shootings that occurred few months before he signed on KA2 didn't change his heart ?
It looks like he covering his back in advance for the backlash the film will get for being too violent.

There's also a VAST difference between what's on the written page and what ends up on the screen which many of you want to blindly ignore. For all we know it was or came off as downplayed on the page and while directing it they ramped it up a whole new notch on the screen that everyone will see. That does happen. Also with the timing of this, Carrey most likely just saw a rough cut of the film.

Especially considering that shooting was a twenty year old going into a school and shooting twenty elementary school students. And so soon we're going to have this film that features a twenty year old sadistically killing elementary school students. Millar shows absolutely no tact if he includes it because it's just a very very small inconsequential moment and the only reason to include it would be to shock the audience. And this soon after something similar? Really does show no taste or decency for the images this will conjure up for many people.

And this is coming from a guy who in a script I had humanized werewolves eating a dead thirteen year old, a five year old sacrificed in a gory blood ritual sacrifice, and a five year old shot in the very end. All of which was meant to disturb the viewer because it was meant to disturb and dramatically impact the protagonist. So, I am anything but a prude. And as a writer, I didn't originally think things through. Now after that event, I am sickened by what I wrote and don't want it in there at all. Sometimes empathy is a lot better of a route to go than just doing something to shock. There's a time to bypass events that have happened and there's a time not to - and I don't see any need for a twenty second moment consisting of sadistically killing little kids especially after what's just happened. It'd just be being controversial for controversial sake, especially here and now.

Last edited:
J Carey didn't spoke specifically about this scene but the film as a whole, did he ?
KA is violent, with or without that very scene and horrible shootings happened before.
He had the comics to read, the script or even the story board, if that last tragedy didn't happened he would have said nothing I think.
Anyway, it can still be cut-of from the movie I guess.
Of course J Carey has the right to express his opinion.

I hope they don't edit the scene from the final cut of the film. Tactful? Maybe not... but no one should censor their art cause it may make a few uncomfortable.

Jim was very effected by that school shooting, that's when he really started talking out about gun control and he does mention Sandy.

"My apologies… to others involve[d] with the film. I am not ashamed of it but recent events have caused a change in my heart."

Sandy - a twenty year old shoots elementary school students. Kick ash 2 - a sadistic 20 year old takes joy in killing elementary school students. It undoubtably has a lot to do with it. And with that last tragedy and so soon too - he probably wouldn't have. But, including it shows absolutely no tact or empathy at all especially since the scene is inconsequential and just there to shock the audience. It adds nothing and takes away absolutely nothing, it's just there. Also the thing is, by the way Millar ignored it in his reply and the way he said all controversial scenes would be in it before -- it looks like he doesn't care at all about how what happened could impact what's on the screen. It just really irks me the way he goes about and casually just says it. As said, I'm a writer that had gruesome children deaths in a script as well and after that happened it's really disturbing that that was in there. So even if you wrote it, you'd feel some empathy and here it just sounds like Millar either doesn't or isn't seeing the bigger picture as Jacobed stated before. And with that scene there, you're bound to hear even more than just Jim being upset that it is there the closer we get to the film being released. At this point it just seems to be controversy for controversy sake to keep it in there.

Last edited:

Agreed. And it's not like he's saying it's a **** movie or anything, he's just saying that at one point in his life he was comfortable with the violence and now he's not. He's not throwing anyone under the bus and I doubt his change of heart will make people think twice about seeing the movie.

However, I think it would be an interesting statement if he donated some of the money he earned from the movie to charity.

Agreed. And it's not like he's saying it's a **** movie or anything, he's just saying that at one point in his life he was comfortable with the violence and now he's not. He's not throwing anyone under the bus and I doubt his change of heart will make people think twice about seeing the movie.

However, I think it would be an interesting statement if he donated some of the money he earned from the movie to charity.

Personally I find it very tasteless when any celeb publicly discloses when they give money to a charity. THAT feels like a promo stunt.

Not saying he shouldn't, he probably already has. His name has been mentioned by a few of the relief efforts along with a bunch of celebs who offered help after S.H.

All people are entitled to this. But that doesn't change the fact that he took their money and is now going out of his way to harm the project.

All people are entitled to this. But that doesn't change the fact that he took their money and is now going out of his way to harm the project.

It's a bad business practice for sure but doesn't your morals and beliefs take precedent over business relationships/obligations?

Filming on Kick ash completed before the Sandy Hook tragedy. Carrey said himself that Sandy Hook changed his views on violence in the media so he stood up and said "I no longer endorse the film because of Sandy Hook".

beliefs >>>>> money, career and business

If Carrey bit his tongue when his friends, his family and the public were watching he has to live with that long after Kick ash 2 is in the Wal-Mart discount bin.

I just feel like people on here are saying that nobody ever has a right to change their opinion. Carrey is not saying that all the other shootings aren't important and nor is he saying boycott the film. He is saying that for whatever reason that the Sandy Hook shooting got to him more than the other one's (I hate all of the shootings and violence all over the world and was in tears after that a-hole murdered those kids), that it made him rethink the violent movie he played in. Changing your mind isn't hypocritical, it's just called changing your mind when it's sincerely done. And we have no idea rather he donated his money to charity or not so you can't say that he didn't. I do think he should refuse to promote the movie though.

As for my opinion? I think that art mostly just reflicts what ills society already has. I don't blame any movie. I blame the fact that we worship guns, money, violence and just being completely selfish, only out for ourselves most of the time.

That's not changing anytime soon, hippie.

I will say I'm a moderate with gun control. I think some guns people should be allowed to have. Now, I don't agree with hunting deer and birds and etc. But, people do that so I think they should be allowed to have rifles. But, I have no idea why people need to own machine guns and especially tech-nines. So, I don't think a complete ban on guns is needed. I just think a ban on high powered guns has to happen - you can kill a deer and a bird with rifles, you kill hundreds of people with machine guns. Plus, school shooters and spree killers seem to have this thing about machine guns. Just limit that a little and while it won't completely get rid of the problem, I can't see why that can't be a fair compromise.

As to violence - not all forms of violence needs to go. But, what really irks me here is I can't think of one good reason to violently show the deaths of children. Also why delete the rape scene and apparently the dog scene yet keep that? It seems the scene they kept is much worse than the ones they deleted. Especially since we never saw the dog get killed, just his head ontop of Stars and Stripes.

Devin Faraci put this into words better than I can.

http://badassdigest.com/2013/06/24/why-jim-carrey-changing-his-mind-on-kick-ash-2-is-great/

“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds,” Ralph Waldo Emerson famously said. What he meant was simple: the world is big and there are many experiences in it that can impact the way you see that world; if your mind is big enough it will, over time, be changed.

We live in a time when changing your mind is seen as the worst weakness of all. John Kerry was attacked by George Bush during the 2004 campaign as being a flip-flopper for changing his stances on issues over the years (this should be contrasted with Mitt Romney’s inability to find a stance, ever. There’s a big difference in changing your mind and never committing in the first place). Sometimes when I get into debates online my opponents will dig up something I wrote six or seven years ago, as if my opinion in 2007 is a millstone around my neck with which I must forever live. As if, over the intervening years, I haven’t considered my position and eventually changed it. As if that would be a bad thing for me to do.

The latest person coming under attack for changing his mind is Jim Carrey who, in a series of tweets, said he couldn’t support his new movie, Kick-ash 2, in light of the Sandy Hook massacre. Carrey was deeply impacted by that event - he made a web video attacking gun owners that really raised hackles - and as a result he now finds the level of violence in the movie unpalatable.

To me that’s admirable. It’s possible that the extreme violence on set during the Kick-ash 2 shoot contrasted with the real life violence of Sandy Hook weeks later is what caused something to switch over in Carrey’s thinking. That’s indicative of someone who is allowing experience in, who is examining his beliefs all the time, someone who isn’t didactic or chained to one belief system in the face of all reason. Yet to many others this is weakness, and an occasion to belittle and attack the guy. He’s *****ing, they say. Didn’t he read the script?, they ask. He’s happy to cash the paychecks, they mock.

They, frankly, are the small minds.

I don’t think Carrey is saying media violence causes real world violence. That’s pretty clear from his statement. What he’s saying is that after witnessing the violence in the real world he is approaching the fictional violence differently. It impacts him differently. Where’s the shame in that? What seemed like good fun before Sandy Hook now tastes to him like ashes.

But there were other massacres!, the *******s cry. Why didn’t those killings impact him? I don’t know, but everyone reacts differently to different things. There are many people who become vegetarians after seeing the slaughter process, even though they already knew - intellectually - what was happening to the animals. We process our world both intellectually and emotionally, and sometimes an event can hit you emotionally in such a way as to forever change the way you intellectualize it.

That’s called growth.

I have in the past written jokes in articles that I now find distasteful. I have pilloried people who I now find admirable. I have savaged movies that I now love, and I have defended movies I now despise. I’ve taken up political causes that I now view skeptically, and I have argued against social positions with which I now agree. I’m 39 years old and I’m not the same person I was when I was 19 or 29... or even 35.

The only people who shouldn’t change their minds are the dead. The rest of us - the ostensibly living - must approach the world with engagement, must take in new facts and experiences openly and must allow those things to impact us however they will. If you refuse to change you’re not lying to others about your beliefs, you’re just lying to yourself.

As a side note, I see many people going after Carrey for ‘breaking his contract’ or the like, indicating they are somehow privy to the terms of his contract. Or that they have some kind of vested interest in him doing the interview rounds. When did film fandom turn into this? Was it when we all just shrugged and accepted that Monday morning box office results were no longer the domain of studio insiders but the baseball scores of nerdworld?

Here’s what you should care about when it comes to Jim Carrey and Kick-ash 2: his performance. Is it good? That’s what matters, not his relationship with the corporate entity releasing his movie. Not what he does with his paycheck, unless you’re one of the financiers, I guess. What matters is what’s onscreen. The way that so-called film fans throw their allegiance behind movie franchises and corporate entities makes me very concerned for the future of the medium. Why aren’t we supporting the artists? Why do we side with the money men?

Faraci calling the people taking issue with Carrey's comments "the small minds" is on the same level as some people here calling Carrey a wuss and telling him to fork.

I like how all the news outlets are like "This movie, "Kick-ash 2"..yeah if you didn't see the first one you're not alone."

It's a bad business practice for sure but doesn't your morals and beliefs take precedent over business relationships/obligations?

Filming on Kick ash completed before the Sandy Hook tragedy. Carrey said himself that Sandy Hook changed his views on violence in the media so he stood up and said "I no longer endorse the film because of Sandy Hook".

beliefs >>>>> money, career and business

If Carrey bit his tongue when his friends, his family and the public were watching he has to live with that long after Kick ash 2 is in the Wal-Mart discount bin.
You can do whatever you like. But just because you use the words "morals" and "beliefs" doesn't suddenly mean you aren't doing what you are doing.

I just feel like people on here are saying that nobody ever has a right to change their opinion. Carrey is not saying that all the other shootings aren't important and nor is he saying boycott the film. He is saying that for whatever reason that the Sandy Hook shooting got to him more than the other one's (I hate all of the shootings and violence all over the world and was in tears after that a-hole murdered those kids), that it made him rethink the violent movie he played in. Changing your mind isn't hypocritical, it's just called changing your mind when it's sincerely done. And we have no idea rather he donated his money to charity or not so you can't say that he didn't. I do think he should refuse to promote the movie though.

As for my opinion? I think that art mostly just reflicts what ills society already has. I don't blame any movie. I blame the fact that we worship guns, money, violence and just being completely selfish, only out for ourselves most of the time.
Change your mind. Do what is best for you. It is you that has to sleep at night. But that doesn't change you are screwing over everyone else associated with the film you were paid to be a part of.

I like how all the news outlets are like "This movie, "Kick-ash 2"..yeah if you didn't see the first one you're not alone."
Sorry you missed such a great film. :csad:

But don't worry, it is available on blu-ray and DVD. :awesome:

I don't get why people are having any issue with Carrey changing his tune. I use have car races with my classmates when I was in university until we did something stupid that nearly caused an accident. I smartened up real quick after that.

I don't get why people are having any issue with Carrey changing his tune. I use have car races with my classmates when I was in university until we did something stupid that nearly caused an accident. I smartened up real quick after that.
Those don't really parallel. Is Jim Carrey putting his life on the line to finish the job he signed on to do?

You know what the rest of the cast and crew are going to have to deal with on their media tour? Questions about him and morally wrong their film is. He has just set up this film and the crew for hurt.

The Kick-ash comics has always left a bad taste in my mouth. After reading the first one i was so glad they changed a lot of elements for the film and i've heard the 2nd comic was even worst.

To me they just strike me as extremism for the sake of it, violence purely for the sake of it.

Unfortunately with all the events that have transpired the last year or so i'm not sure the kick-ash franchise is the escapism people would want now?

So i can see where carey is coming from with regards to the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"