Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by JeetKuneDo, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Well-Known Member

You might as well say that we can't judge directors if their filmography is ruled off limits.

It probably doesn't matter though. To me, the time to strike was a while ago and there's been too much out in the superhero genre since to make a sequel seem all that exciting. Especially with a noticiably older Moretz.

2. CConn

CConn Fountainhead of culture.

No, the problem is a lot of people don't understand what a director's job actually is.

They assume everyone's like Lucas or Cameron who write their own scripts, manage the overall production, and have full creative oversight.

But for most directors that's not the case at all. For most directors, you're nothing more than another hired crew member charged with brining someone else's story onto the screen under someone else's creative oversight.

I've seen movies with horrible scripts or casts or whatnot, but with great direction and visual flare. And that's usually due to what I've described above.

Now I haven't seen any of this guy's movies, so I can't say one way or the other, but what we should be judging is the actual technical direction of those films, not the quality overall or the plausibility of their scripts, or how well they're casted. Which is what everyone seems pay attention to.

3. rashad

rashad Hype Board Junkie

Thank you Cconn that's basically what I was alluding to.

4. Evil Twin

No, I have a good handle on what a director actually does. He's the one on set that has a say in blocking, shot composition, and working with actors. Yeah, not every director is a visionary auteur with final cut, but most good directors are going to have an effect on a movie in some way. If they're nothing but a malleable toady, of course the movie is going to be a mess. If they have potential, it will come out in individual scenes or performances which can be pointed to. If it hasn't come out at all in 2 previous films, which for all we know the director had significant control over, why should it come out in a third film?

And perhaps he has shown some signs, I haven't seen those films. The reviews aren't reassuring though.

And, frankly, I think KA2 needs a director with some spine and vision because it could go wrong in a great many ways. Matthew Vaughn long-distance director isn't going to work. The director has to have some sense of tone and be able to work with the actors on set if there's any hope for the project.

5. CConn

I apologize. I actually wasn't trying to infer that you yourself didn't know. Just saying why - as a general rule - people might not judge a director by his films.
    No offense, but if you haven't seen them, then you're really in the same boat as I. And personally, until I actually see otherwise, this guy's a clean slate in my book. He has as just chance to make a good movie as he does bad.
    I don't really know if the director will have to do all that much. The tone's already been set, Mark Millar will be involved for creative assistance...all you really need to do is follow the first film's blueprint.

Not that I'm saying a monkey could do it or anything, but it's hardly like he's making Lawrence of Arabia here.

6. Evil Twin

There's no Nic Cage, no Mark Strong, a noticiably older Chloe Moretz, and is McLovin' able to shoulder a bigger load (presumably)? I think it's easy to underestimate how different a film it's already setup to be. KA2 is going to have to establish its own identity.

7. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

I don't think you can just "follow the first film's blue print." The first works because it is startingly original and clever. A retread would be disappointing. Not to mention they killed off two major characters, hinted at escalation and the fact that Chloe Moretz is no longer a little kid.

The sequel will need a deft and intelligent hand to work. Otherwise, the movie may suffer. Time will tell

8. Chef Mikey

Chef Mikey Member

I hope the sequel will be much better as the first one is hard to top

9. JeetKuneDo

JeetKuneDo Guitarist

Recent info:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Chloe-Moretz-Still-Committed-Kick-Ass-2-31027.html
    http://collider.com/kick-ass-2-sequel-jeff-wadlow-chloe-moretz/167670/

10. CConn

That doesn't make any sense. I'm talking about the movie's direction. Not it's writing. It's writing is what it is; it's an adaptation. Go read Kick-Ass 2 and critique whether you think it's a retread or not.

I'm talk about the visual elements of the film, the way the actors interact and portray the characters they're playing...that should be in the vein of the first film because it is a sequel.

All of the originality and freshness you speak of should be coming from the script, not necessarily the direction.

11. JeetKuneDo

JeetKuneDo Guitarist

Agreed. There should be a similar "feel" to it imo.

Here is an interview with Jeff Wadlow. I like this: "Mathew is intimately involved with KA2 as a producer...I speak with him for hours every day"

[YT]9emBioAqMjI&feature[/YT]

12. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

^Vaughn being a hands on producer gives me a bit more confidence about the film being any good, there more he is involved the better in my eyes.

13. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

Yeah, it's worrying me that no one's mentioning Vaughn co-writing it anymore, though. I'm starting to think that part may have been misreport at first, because it's only been mentioned in one article that I'm aware of. My hopes for this will definitely be lowered if Vaughn wasn't at least involved with the screenplay.

14. JeetKuneDo

JeetKuneDo Guitarist

More from Millar. Some spoilery type stuff if you never read the comic:

http://collider.com/kick-ass-2-sequel-mark-millar/168088/

15. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

Sheesh you know millar loves the sound of his own voice.

16. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

I actually hope they don't keep the [blackout]gang-rape[/blackout] from the book. It's too disgusting and done for shock value. Since Universal is now producing, they also may not think it's the best idea either. I also hope that it doesn't end with [blackout]Hit-Girl going to prison as that makes exploring her character as an adult trying to live a normal life with the messed up childhood impossible and turns her into a imprisoned-celebrity.[/blackout]

So, I actually hope there are a lot of changes.

17. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

Agreed. There were major changes made in the first one (for the better, imo) - I hope they follow-suit in this one.

18. JeetKuneDo

JeetKuneDo Guitarist

Agree with you and DA. The changes in the first movie did improve things (Damon being a big one)

I personally even think Red Mist's name change in KA2 was a bit silly...but it sounds like they are going with it. Maybe it will work when I see it.

19. A Necessary Evil

A Necessary Evil One. Bad. Day.

:up:

20. Sgt.Pepper

Sgt.Pepper Nowhere Man

Aaron Johnson, Chlöe Moretz & Christopher Mintz-Plasse Almost Signed for Kick-Ass 2; Nicolas Cage In-Talks for A Cameo Role

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/universal-close-to-kick-ass-2-deals-with-aaron-johnson-chloe-moretz-more/

Good news all around. And I hope Cage returns, even it's just a small cameo role.

21. CConn

Well, you know that Nick Cage literally will never turn down a role, so if they ask, he'll be in it. :o

22. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

Haha true, and he seemed quite fond of this role, so I'd be very surprised if he turned them down.

23. A Necessary Evil

Question is, how will he be brought back? Flashbacks?

24. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

As long as he doesn't appear in a mirror telling Hit-Girl to avenge him some more, I'll be happy.

25. A Necessary Evil

*Cue danny elfman music*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.