Killzone Liberation Footage PSP

After that E3 trailer came out (which I'm convinced was made to fool people because it had popup and a low res texture) Guerilla said they were working of the following things for Killzone PS3:

Drivable Vehicles over ground air and sea
Much more intense/Cinimatic
Hugely expanded multiplayer
Vastly improved AI (they had to gut their original AI for Killzone because it was too intensive for the system fyi)

Sounds good on paper. But I'm afraid that like Killzone, a lot of their time is going to be taken up trying to make the graphics as good as possible...

Mentok said:
It will be interesting to see how close they can get the game looking like the CGI trailer though.

For that very reason I doubt we're going to see Killzone PS3 at E3, they will no show it until it as good as possible imo, to avoid backlash. If we do see I'd be suprised if we saw more than "and this is a model of an ISA soldier from the upcoming PS3 game, let's focus on how detailed the model is... ok next game!"

I have to say, Killzone Liberation sounds like it could be good fun... Interview along with new screens and videos inside the link, if the video links I've made don't work just go to the video section of IGN.

Pre- E3 2006: Conversation in a Killzone
We fire off our most pressing questions. New information, screens and footage included!

by Juan Castro

May 5, 2006 - Killzone: Liberation is a totally different beast than its predecessor, a first-person shooter for the PS2. If you take away its post-apocalyptic setting, it's an entirely different game. It plays nothing like the original, too. Hell, it plays unlike anything on the PSP. To gauge just how different it is, we fired off a few quick questions to Guerilla, the game's developer. Mathijs De Jonge, Games Director, has answered the questions below.

IGN: For those that don't know, what's the skinny on Killzone: Liberation?

MdJ: Killzone Liberation is an action-packed tactical shooter that has been developed from the ground-up specifically for PSP. The game's story continues 2 months after the end of the original Killzone for PS2. The fleet has arrived but the Helghast troops, led by General Metrac, are still gaining ground in the southern provinces and Captain Templar is send there to stop Metrac.

killzone-liberation-20060505111520114.jpg

IGN: What was behind the decision to ditch the first-person perspective of the PS2 version for the third-person view currently in place?

MdJ:
We wanted to create a new and different experience that takes place in the Killzone universe. One of the first things we tried was pulling out the camera to show the Killzone world from a different perspective. This new viewpoint provided us with many interesting options such as a more tactical overview, more graphical details and nice parallax effects. We developed an intelligent camera system that zooms and offsets dynamically giving the player the best possible view of the frantic action.

IGN: What can we expect from Liberation's multiplayer?

MdJ:
The multiplayer modes are an intrinsic part of the game. We use the PSP's Ad hoc feature to connect 2 players in Co-op mode and up to 6 in various known and new game modes. Many new features such as the Depots is where players can replenish health or swap weapons, which are important elements for the multiplayer modes and make this game different from any other game. So far it has been a real production stopper around the office, it is a lot of fun and very addictive.

killzone-liberation-20060505111519739.jpg

IGN: Is there anything the development team learned from the original Killzone that helps make Liberation a better title?

MdJ:
Killzone had it's ups and downs and when we started working on this game we decided to fix all issues that gamers commented on such as sloppy death animations and repetitive speech and further improve and build on the ups such as the great visual style and all the cool weapons, enemy types and story line.

IGN: How did the team go about making sure Liberation is a mobile-friendly title?

MdJ:
We have divided the game in chunks of around 15 minutes and these are designed to be played in quick short bursts. Combined with the intuitive controls this game really is a pick-up-and-play sort of game. With a couple of button presses, people are in a game, be it single- or multiplayer. Within minutes people know the basics and then they can set about discovering a lot more mechanics and truly master the controls.

IGN: Can you tell us a little bit about the tactical side of Liberation?

MdJ:
The new third person camera provides the player with a good overview of the battlefield and allows them to play the game tactical. But the really cool and new feature is the ability to command a buddy in some of the missions using the Tactical Command System. New enemies and encounters have been designed so that the player is encouraged to make good use of the TCS. We still leave it up to the player how he prefers to play the game, some people like to plan their actions while others simply rush in, the buddies are programmed to assist in both situations.

IGN: How many weapons and gadgets will we get to use in Liberation?

MdJ:
There is a good variety of new weapons like a crossbow with explosive tips, a new rocket-launcher, a flame-thrower, remote detonated mines. And we have really cool drivable vehicles that can crush obstacles and have multiple weapons and can even be driven by 2 players simultaneously in Cooperative mode.

IGN: Most of the environments we've seen so far look post-apocalyptic. Where else will Liberation take us?

MdJ:
The post-apocalyptic look and feel is very much part of the Killzone art-style. But not all environments look as war-torn. For this game we've focused a lot on immersing the player by making the environments interactive and dynamic.

IGN: What do you expect players will enjoy most about Liberation?

MdJ:
Most if not all mechanics in this game have been invented and developed by simply playing it over and over. Many times during pre-production someone would come up with a nice like 'hey, it would be cool to be able to shoot those rockets from the sky' we added it to the game. I think that this is something many players will appreciate as they will notice they have lots of different mechanics and options to explore and take advantage of. The quality in all areas is very high, we are self critical and not easily satisfied, we have worked hard on getting all of the features just right and with our graphics we feel we have one of the best looking PSP games.

Videos
E3 2006 Trailer
Killing The Zone (Gameplay 1 of 4)
Explosive Death (Gameplay 2 of 4)
Strategy Goodness (Gameplay 3 of 4)
Duck and Cover (Gameplay 4 of 4)

Seriously, I want to buy the original Killzone before I buy this now.

I'll warn you ahead of time it has undeniable issues, it's not totally a lot cause though. I still keep it around and get this weird urge to play it every so often but it could be considered laughable if you go in there with the wrong mindset. You can probably find it rather inexpensively so why not.

If you do get it, make sure to reduced the left right look sensitivity by about 50 percent if you plan on playing online.

It's not horrible or anything I'm just telling you, it's not an amazing game either. :)

On the Subject of Liberation:

A lot more complex than I thought it would be, and it looks a LOT better than the original footage led me to believe. It definately has exceeded my initial expectations of what it would be. The elements of throwing grenades, commanding allies and rolling around in tanks just seems pretty cooly done.

If the game turns out well it might be a sign that the dev team for Killzone is maturing and this game looking pretty nifty can only mean good thingsfor any upcoming projects they have.

Runing space nazi's over in a tank will provide hours of entertainment. :o

Eh, I'm buying the original anyway. Even though I wanted it back when it came out and never got around to it, I still want it.

I loved the original Killzone. It's the most 'realistic' future war scenario I have played and takes inspiration from the best war movies (beachhead or normandy, jungles of nam, urban enviroments, etc but retooled obviously).

It is expensive, and I wanted a GBA, but this, Syphon Filter, the Valkirie Profile remake and that "JUMP FROM CAR TO CAR!!!" shooting game are making me change my mind...

The "JUMP FROM CAR TO CAR!!!" Game is cooler on paper than in yer hands. :(

Syphon Filter however is great. Run up to a guy whilst he's reloading and stab him in the stomach = priceless travel entertainment.

Well, maybe not travel, but to take with me to work :up:

Matty: Why you not like jump car shoot game?

Lack of checkpoints and the "holy crap, did that guy just jump out of his car onto that car?!" Effect wears off when you know that for sure, no matter what, when you tap that button to leap into the air you are making it onto that vehicle no matter what.

The latter might be a nit pick since it's supposed to be a portable pick-up-and-go game, but really... it hurts my feet. :(

I'm suprised that you didn't include Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops or Daxter on that list Gamera. I'm not like "DIE GAMMY!!!!!!!!:p", just wondering if they don't appeal to you or what not?

What is this Metal Gear Solid Ops?
If it's set in the 60's and has real time combat, then I'm excited about it.

It's like MGS3 for the PSP. Yes, like MGS3.

I'm not going to edit it later, so I'll say it now, you're the bestest for updating playstation stuff when no one else does. I mean, playstation stuff that doesn't negate Sony. :confused: But are you gonna fix the link?

OOPS!!!! :O

Correct link:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=12162&type=mov

It's sort of like that old kids tale about all the animals stuffing themselves into a discarded sock to stay warm during the winter, and it's the mouse that finally causes the seams to rip open.

Or I could say it isn't needed, that works too with a much less bizzar analogy.

Sweet, like how the menu makes stuff go in slow motion instead of freezing the action. How does the shooting and gernade tossing work though? :huh:

killzone-liberation-20060801023036448.jpg

killzone-liberation-20060801023036933.jpg

killzone-liberation-20060801023037761.jpg

I'm pretty sure it semi locks on or something, it might be mentioned in an interview somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"