Kingdom Come

The Lazarus Pit

The Boy Wonder
Reaction score
The Black Adam producers want to make it, and this is the perfect movie for Keaton. I sincerely hope this happens. It’s arguably the greatest DC story ever.

The question is, would it be Routh or Cavill in the suit? And Carter or Gadot? Miller or Shipp?

Maybe it’s time to bring Routh back. He is the Reeve Superman continuity wise, and that’s the Superman I always pictured Keaton with.

Kingdom Come would really need actors who could play with heavy gravitas. Routh is fine for many roles and makes a good Clark, but there is no Clark in Kingdom Come, only the powerful Superman. I think that casting Routh would only be a gimmick and wouldn’t serve the story.

Also, the Flash was Wally, not Barry, and he never slows down, so it doesn’t matter who plays him. Carter might be able to do Wonder Woman, but this is again, a completely different characterization. Kingdom Come WW is given almost completely over to her warrior nature.

The Black Adam producers want to make it, and this is the perfect movie for Keaton. I sincerely hope this happens. It’s arguably the greatest DC story ever.

The movie would pretty strongly go against Keaton Batman's willingness to kill and general brutality.

When thinking about Kingdom Come, i think about Jupiters legacy...especially if you go TV show format for some reason.

The idea i like definitly, but lets wait and see what Black Adam pulls off.
But lets not abandon the idea, if Black Adam is a good movie, im all for it.

The Casting on this however is tricky, going with Keaton or routh wouldnt be the way imo.
You need "heavier" actors that can acting wise carry more weight.
But again, wait and see how Keaton for example does as older bruce wayne.

Kingdom Come would serve better as a miniseries like Watchmen
I could maybe see a 4-parter to match up with the books. But I would be careful not to depart too far from the books. It really isn’t that long of a story and could easily end up in bloated The Hobbit-like territory if you tried to stretch it out.

Honestly.....if it's a choice between no adaptation and a bad adaptation, I'll go with no.

This is probably DC's greatest Superman/Justice League story and rather than see a shirtty adaptation, I'm happy just reading my copy.

Dark Phoenix, easily the GOAT Xmen story, one of Marvel's GOAT stories has been butchered twice now. That gives me zero confidence about anyone in Hollywood being able to adapt KC

I would have said that an animated film might be better- but after seeing how they subtly ruined Red Son, with a few changes, I'm not so sure about that either.

I’m thinking if this happens, it could be a perfect way to cap off Cavill’s Superman and introduce the new Justice League. Black Adam would take the Magog role. Obviously some of these are legacy characters (Wally is Flash, Ted is Blue Beetle, Olivia Queen is Black Canary, etc)and/or not in the original comic (Batgirl/Supergirl), but I’d imagine WB would make some big changes. I could see the movie looking something like this:

Directed by Andres Muschietti

Henry Cavill as Superman (in his final performance in the role)

E9874789-CE78-4EEB-AA12-4CEF70DB8832.jpeg

Michael Keaton as Batman

8F48FBFC-97D6-4A6E-B1F9-8F2A027701F6.jpeg

Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman

912382EA-ED3A-449F-927B-46B03B909EAB.jpeg

Jason Momoa as Aquaman

257100FD-6A62-486D-9DB0-4166A3B9E23E.jpeg

Zachary Levi as Shazam

5DC74430-6C03-42DD-84D2-62EC835D6CB9.jpeg

Ezra Miller as The Flash (Wally West pictured)

31DC3FA1-1602-4B17-8FDE-31575EA638D0.jpeg

Jurnee Smollett as Black Canary (Olivia Queen pictured)

DCC434E6-C51A-4EBA-8DB5-2F4864818771.jpeg

Xolo Maridueña as Blue Beetle (Ted Kord pictured)

01E86EC5-0C5E-4096-A5A2-A0F28F0637A2.jpeg

Sasha Calle as Supergirl and Leslie Grace as Batgirl (Supergirl only makes a brief appearance in the original story, and Batgirl would be taking the place of Red Robin)

BF9A0BF7-BB8D-47F7-952C-BF4CBFD7C312.jpeg

Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam (taking the place of Magog)

31E61721-E0C0-4824-958D-B7A2496D0A42.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m thinking if this happens, it could be a perfect way to cap off Cavill’s Superman and introduce the new Justice League. Black Adam would take the Magog role. Obviously some of these are legacy characters (Wally is Flash, Ted is Blue Beetle, Olivia Queen is Black Canary, etc)and/or not in the original comic (Batgirl/Supergirl), but I’d imagine WB would make some big changes. I could see the movie looking something like this:

View attachment 52147

Michael Keaton as Batman

View attachment 52143

View attachment 52149

Jason Momoa as Aquaman

View attachment 52150

Zachary Levi as Shazam

View attachment 52145

View attachment 52146

View attachment 52141

View attachment 52142

Sasha Calle as Supergirl and Leslie Grace as Batgirl (Supergirl only makes a brief appearance in the original story, and Batgirl would be taking the place of Red Robin)

View attachment 52148

View attachment 52140
Yo I love this

I know it's always impossible to do a direct translation of a comic book series, but seeing as how many characters the Civil War series had only to reduced to about 15 if you include other side Marvel characters which almost a majority of them had been previously set up in previous movies. The scale would be too much for even a 2 part movie.

9126282._SX540_.jpg

I would love to see KC made into a miniseries like Watchmen. But I think if you do that, you have to make it clear that this is a different continuity than anything in the DCEU. Because I can’t see Zack Levi’s Shazam/Captain Marvel going the route that he does in KC (and I definitely wouldn’t want to see that). So I would say, cast all new actors. No retreads from other films, not even Keaton since he’s being brought into the DCEU.

View attachment 52147

Michael Keaton as Batman

View attachment 52143

View attachment 52149

Jason Momoa as Aquaman

View attachment 52150

Zachary Levi as Shazam

View attachment 52145

View attachment 52146

View attachment 52141

View attachment 52142

View attachment 52148

View attachment 52140

Dude that sounds great. So great that there's no chance in hell that anyone at WB would ever make that.

I mean No Way Home showed that fan service like this can make billions, but nobody at WB is smart enough to take notice of that.

View attachment 52147

Michael Keaton as Batman

View attachment 52143

View attachment 52149

Jason Momoa as Aquaman

View attachment 52150

Zachary Levi as Shazam

View attachment 52145

View attachment 52146

View attachment 52141

View attachment 52142

View attachment 52148

View attachment 52140
I think you actually need Magog. Black Adam doesn’t make as good of sense in the Magog role. The Kansas scene between Magog and Superman is some of the best dialogue in comics history, but it just doesn’t suit someone like Black Adam to me. I don’t think Black Adam would give two rips whether he was viewed as “the new Man of Tomorrow” or not, or that he would be as haunted by the collateral damage as Magog was.

Otherwise a lot of these aren’t bad ideas. But it would have to be clear as outside of continuity of what came before. Otherwise, I don’t see Gal’s Wonder Woman (or the cinematic Hippolyta for that matter) really fitting with how she is portrayed in her films. Or that Cavill’s Superman would fit with the background of Kingdom Come Superman, given that Zack Snyder has already had Superman killing on screen. It seems disingenuous.

I think you actually need Magog. Black Adam doesn’t make as good of sense in the Magog role. The Kansas scene between Magog and Superman is some of the best dialogue in comics history, but it just doesn’t suit someone like Black Adam to me. I don’t think Black Adam would give two rips whether he was viewed as “the new Man of Tomorrow” or not, or that he would be as haunted by the collateral damage as Magog was.

Otherwise a lot of these aren’t bad ideas. But it would have to be clear as outside of continuity of what came before. Otherwise, I don’t see Gal’s Wonder Woman (or the cinematic Hippolyta for that matter) really fitting with how she is portrayed in her films. Or that Cavill’s Superman would fit with the background of Kingdom Come Superman, given that Zack Snyder has already had Superman killing on screen. It seems disingenuous.

Yep, all of this. Magog was intentionally designed to emulate the “grim & gritty” style of comic book superhero that was popular at the time. His design is basically Cable, mixed with a sense of false god idolatry (hence the horns). So using a classic character like Black Adam in his place doesn’t really make sense, even though BA kills his enemies mercilessly.

And yeah, since Cavill’s Superman has already killed Zod, that whole plea KC Supes has to Batman about how the one thing that unifies them is not wanting to see anyone die doesn’t really work. Mark Waid (who wrote KC) wrote a very angry review of Man of Steel and claimed he almost walked out of the theater at that point. Now, it’s true that you could possibly do some multiverse shenanigans and try to establish that “this” Superman isn’t “that” Superman, but using the same actor kind of makes it more difficult to deliver that message. And I say this as someone who likes Cavill and would be happy to see him reprise the role (provided they actually give him lines this time). But I think for something like KC, the best option is to just make it it’s own thing with no possible connections to any other versions of these characters.

This would be an adaptation, not a 1:1 adaptation. Changes would be made to the story to fit more with the current iterations of the characters.

This would be an adaptation, not a 1:1 adaptation. Changes would be made to the story to fit more with the current iterations of the characters.

You could do it that way but… I don’t know, man. KC is up there with Watchmen (at least for me) as one of the best comic book storylines of all time and I wouldn’t want to see it tweaked to fit the DCEU or whatever. Besides, they’ve already proven that they suck at trying to adapt big storylines into this universe (they ruined the Death of Superman and I’m confident they’ll butcher Flashpoint too).

I’m trying to see how you could “fit” Kingdom Come with these characters and I’m just not seeing it. You end up with a slam bang action movie with older protagonists, but you would lose everything the story is about.

Truth is, there is very little action in Kingdom Come. Ironically, much of it resembles the finale of Man of Steel and is supposed to establish the fact that the “heroes” of the day aren’t heroes at all. As I think of it, Snyder’s Superman in Man of Steel is essentially a more likable and moral version of Cathedral, or 666 or any of the other “heroes” who have rumbles in the beginning of Kingdom Come. The new generation of heroes have their battles and the people are the ones hurt.

The bulk of Kingdom Come is the dialogue centering on the value of human life. Having Cavill’s Superman and Keaton’s Batman, both of whom have taken lives, would drain the story of its essence.

Now, I might be able to get behind Cavill as Magog. That would be interesting commentary. :cwink:

To me it's long felt pretty strawman-y the idea that if heroes are willing to kill mass murderers like the Joker they must also or would also not care about civilians getting hurt or killed, way to try to force you to be against them.

So, here’s my Kingdom Come dreamcast. I know that getting all of these people would be damn near impossible but… hey, maybe you could talk some of them into doing a big budget HBO miniseries if the right talent was behind the camera. I tried to cast actors in their 60s or older for characters who age normally, whereas characters like Superman and Wonder Woman are a bit younger since they age slower.

Superman: Jon Hamm
Wonder Woman: Lena Headey
Batman: Viggo Mortensen
The Spectre: Mads Mikkelsen
Norman McCay: Donald Sutherland
Magog: Joel Edgerton
Lex Luthor: Gary Sinese
Captain Marvel/Billy Batson: Nicholas Hoult
Vandal Savage: Marwan Kenzari
Selina Kyle: Ming-Na Wen
Ted Kord: Ted Danson
Oliver Queen: Clancy Brown
Dinah Lance-Queen: Allison Janney
Martian Manhunter: Dennis Haysbert
Red Robin: Andrew Koji
GL (Alan Scott): Stephen Lang

Last edited:
Truth is, there is very little action in Kingdom Come. I
Never really thought about that. It is really plot driven.

You could do it that way but… I don’t know, man. KC is up there with Watchmen (at least for me) as one of the best comic book storylines of all time and I wouldn’t want to see it tweaked to fit the DCEU or whatever. Besides, they’ve already proven that they suck at trying to adapt big storylines into this universe (they ruined the Death of Superman and I’m confident they’ll butcher Flashpoint too).

I also think that regardless of what my feelings for BvS are, that the Superman and Batman fight makes a Dark Knight Returns live action movie slightly redundant.

This would never happen, but they could take it in a totally different direction, incorporating multiple universes and past iterations, with a few surprises thrown in.

KINGDOM COME

Brandon Routh as Superman

34B69040-E192-4956-ADCC-007630C832C4.jpeg

Michael Keaton as Batman

B28B888F-0B76-4022-9488-A5AABDFBF94E.jpeg

Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman

744B4F10-1AA3-4293-83A9-84154FA2F367.jpeg

John Wesley Shipp as The Flash

3BF70D9F-CD9F-48D5-A159-E59BE17DF78A.jpeg

Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern

ADDBA1C6-018F-4C5A-ABF2-E8F4CE82A6B6.jpeg

Jason Momoa as Aquaman