Kingdom of Heaven vs Troy: which sent you to sleep quicker?

you know what's funny? i didn't even know edward norton was in KoH, that's how bored and asleep i was.

DACrowe said:
P.S. Gladiator is much better than either and Braveheart for that matter as well.

Better than these 2 maybe, but not even remotely close to the latter.

Braveheart is one of the very few ancient epics that centers on a commoner rather than a king/general/prince, etc... which was beautifully shown in the overall look and style of the film. It also has about the best script for a stand alone film ever written in both story progression and dialogue(Wallace's speech before the battle of Sterling has been less succesfully emulated in most epics since then), with each scene perfectly driving the story and the characters forward all the way from birth to death. It's far more well rounded than Gladiator, and just about any other single film. There are entire trilogies/franchises that aren't nearly as multi-layered. It's as unique as it is great.
Crow was a strong lead, but there are atleast a handful of acting moments from Gibson that blow away anything that Crow made me feel, and the ensamble was much better with more focus on the people in Wallace's life than those in Maximus'. Gladiator's ending left me feeling good, but it's less than a drop in a bucket compared to the surging emotion I feel at the end of Braveheart.

Gladiator is a tweaked version of Spartacus with better production value(and some bad CGI, another thing I'm glad Braveheart didn't include, which Gladiator and Troy did).

Gladiator is a very good film, made before Scott's decedence(unlike Kingdom of disappointment), but it's about as close to being better than Braveheart as a midget is to being taller than someone over 7 feet.

BeserkerHilf said:
you know what's funny? i didn't even know edward norton was in KoH, that's how bored and asleep i was.

He was one of the very few things about the film that lived up to my expectations.

Kingdom of Heaven... I was fighting to stay awake just to watch it :down

I think Gladiator is more powerful without having to pull out the cliches (like Wallace sleeping with the princess, who in real life was about 8 during this, which was complete and utter Hollywood crap), Crowe gave a better performance and I think the look and overall pacinng done by Scott and style surpasses Braveheart.

BH is a great movie but overstays its welcome and is rather cliche and would become the basis of all Mel Gibson movies until POTC of course. Personally, I feel Gladiator was much better written and directed and the whole thing just sucks you into it with a better score, cinematography, etc. and there are few villains who can match Pheonex as Comodus imo, though.

I liked Troy and never once felt bored during the movie. There's too much going on in the movie to get bored lol.

I've never had any desire to see Kingdom of Heaven since I felt Hollywood was getting oversaturated with all these period pieces (Alexander, King Arthur, etc).

Troy was campy fun.

KOH was pretty uh...neat, but most of Scott's movies are way too slow and I think he is hugely overrated.

Alien= decent but almost sleep inducing.

Aliens=awsome.

I have just seen The Gladiator again and it was still epic for me like it was when I first time saw it.

4Zeah.jpg

i'm glad troy was made if not

we'd have batman vs superman

It was eventualy going to happen, i'm sorry...

LOL, why?

Anyway, neither film is all that great, but Troy at least had fun, stylish fight sequences. KOH was just dull. Supposedly the director's cut is fantastic, but as I've said before, if I didn't like the theatrical cut of your movie, I'm probably not going to sit down and watch a LONGER version of it. Scott needs to do a better job of condensing his films. You can't hide behind the excuse of "the studio made me cut stuff out due to length" all the time. It's not like KOH was reduced to 90 minutes.

I enjoyed both films, even though Troy has some flaws. Braveheart and Gladiator are classics and cannot really be criticized to a large amount. Okay, Gibson took some liberties with historical accuracy . . . but it was fun wasn't it!

Why not throw Alexander The Directors Cut into the mix? It sure had some epic unforgettable scenes, but I objected to the homosexual storyline. I don't think it has ever been confirmed that Alexander the Great was a homosexual (or Richard the Lionheart either).

LOL, why?

Anyway, neither film is all that great, but Troy at least had fun, stylish fight sequences. KOH was just dull. Supposedly the director's cut is fantastic, but as I've said before, if I didn't like the theatrical cut of your movie, I'm probably not going to sit down and watch a LONGER version of it. Scott needs to do a better job of condensing his films. You can't hide behind the excuse of "the studio made me cut stuff out due to length" all the time. It's not like KOH was reduced to 90 minutes.

But the director's cut is a ****ing great film. And that's the first time Scott really pulled the director's cut card. I realize with Blade Runner, but I'm talking about a significant amount of footage that fills in a lot of stuff that noticeably changes the quality from meh to "Wow, why the **** was this cut down??" This was at the beginning of the whole popularity of the director's cut too. It's wasn't a back door excuse and notorious as what they generally connote now.

Don't like either of them, but Troy was at least cheesy entertainment. KOH was just a scattershot mess like Exodus.

Also, I prefer Gladiator over Braveheart and think Crowe's performance is better than Gibson's. Gibson did a better job as director than star, IMO.

Troy is worse, at least the cinematography in The Kingdom of Heaven is beautiful.

Last edited:
I absolutely love both (Director's cuts). They're modern day David Lean films.

Depends on what version of KOH we're talking about:

-The butchered "theatrical" cut-Then I prefer Troy.

-The Director's Cut-There's no contest, KOH is better. THAT was the movie, not that hack job that the studio crapped into theatres. The DC is a great film.

Troy is flawed but much better than KOH. I remember nothing about KOH lol.

What i read was that the film was butchered by the studio and Scott and few of the actors were quite pissed. But hey who really knows.

I know for sure that Eva Green was quite upset, with good reason.

Theatrical cut -- Troy

Director's cut -- Kingdom of Heaven (and it's not even close)

KoH had the superior cast, performances, cinematography, dialogue, sets, etc. It's a shame the film isn't appreciated more.

The only things I liked about Troy were the costume design and the Hector/Achilles fight scene. The rest of the movie was garbage.

I've only seen Kingdom of Heaven once, but it was pretty forgettable. I do want to see the directors cut, though.

The Kingdom of Heaven director's cut is a damn good film, imo. But if we're talking theatrical cuts...I'd prefer to watch Troy. It's many things, but "boring" isn't really one of them, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"