Spidey Spin-Offs Kraven The Hunter

Discussion in 'Sony Spider-Man Spin-Offs' started by Nardz937, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

As of now, Morbius is expected to net 40ish mil for the weekend, and that is pretty good relative to its budget. I don't think many saw it doing that well on here, and I remember everyone saying Venom would bomb before it came out. So I don't think Kraven is a guaranteed flop. But I don't see it doing much better than Morbius. I am guessing the budget is around Morbius territory, so that would be a good result all things considered

GwensNeckBrace and Frodo like this.
  2. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

I think if Sony could make these movies as cheap as Morbius OR the Underworld/Resident Evil movies, they would be able to churn out a lot more. And I don't see Kraven needing more vfX work than Morbius.

3. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

A Scorpion movie would probably feature a villain that shares the same abilities as Scorpion. See Venom, Venom Let There Be Carnage and Morbius. Lol.

TheVileOne likes this.
  4. Filmfreak Registered

Or Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Captain Marvel. Unfortunately having a villain with same or similar powers to the hero is a very common practice among superhero films, especially origin stories. I always find it lazy, but Sony is clearly worse because they force villains into heroes and z-list villains into main villains.

TheVileOne likes this.
  5. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Sony never used any villains in Spider-Man movies which has the same abilities as Peter Parker. I know its a trope in Marvel movies, but Sony could clearly scrape the bottom of the barrel more to use a villain with a different ability. Like Scorpion vs Spot would be a lot more interesting than Scorpion 1 vs Scorpion 2. Looking at Wikipedia, there are at least siX Scorpions in the comiXs, so lol. Sony wouldn't have to dive deep.

6. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

That was what the studio was saying and it fell just short of that. Studios typically put "expectations" on the low end so they can tout success. I would call this opening mediocre to not so good. You rightfully point out that it was a fairly low budget film as CBMs go, but still, I believe the studio really wanted and expected more. When you add in an approximate 75% drop in the 2nd weekend, it's definitely getting into flop territory.

Sony just doesn't have a wide variety of interesting characters to use. Of course, they could really be a little better at making CBMs too.

7. TheVileOne Registered

They have frelling Spider-Man 2099. And I mean you could do that at least and not have to worry about continuity with past movies. Just reference the existence of Spider-Man some years ago. Sony has no idea what they are doing. This is why they've had to reboot the Spider-Man film series multiple times.

8. Sithborg Registered

Some set pics are starting to come out. Taylor-Johnson looks surprisingly good as Kraven.

9. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

I don't know if we been seeing the same set pictures, I mean he doesn't look bad in them, but I wouldn't go as far to say they really stand out as him looking like Kraven {more so just himself} had I not known they were taken from the Kraven set, I probably wouldn't think that's who he's suppose to be... but I'll be curious to find out the context behind some of these set pictures/scenes we seen so far

Scarlet Spider likes this.
  10. Filmfreak Registered

I realise it's an origin story but so far he doesn't look like Kraven at all for me. Other than the tooth in his neck he just screams generic young heir of a rich family with a beard.

11. Spider-Aziz Dummy Dragon Holo

I want my Cardiac movie.
    Sony should be conserving in their production budgets, like Blumhouse do.

12. AVEITWITHJAMON Badass Cloud

Yeah hopefully the budget isn’t too high for this as that’s the only way I see this being a success. My hopes for it being good went out the window with Morbius.

13. Pennywise Registered

He looks amazing! :o

14. GwensNeckBrace Registered

Sony being Sony are probably going to have the antagonist be someone with the same abilities and skills as Kraven :o

15. I Am The Knight Voilá!

Hot Kraven?

For some reason he also looks straight outta an Uncharted-ish adaptation. Like the dick right hand man to the villain.

16. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

I can't see it costing more than Morbius.

Unless the movie has more set pieces and vfX.

17. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

I feel like they could get away with a lower budget for this, as Kraven is slightly more grounded character then Morbious/Venom who were more CG heavy

I mean I hope for some big action scene and some feats of enhanced abilitys but, there wont be the same type of physical transformation effects/ or like flying around

from some of the set footages we've seen it does seems like there trying to do as much practical effects and stunt work as they can

SM71 likes this.
  18. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

$50 million would be Sony being reasonable for this. If they go lower okay, as long as it won't look as cheap as Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City.

19. MOVIELORD101 Utter Smeghead

It's worse than we feared: they're turning Kraven into a "protector or animals" or some BS. Again, Serge Kravanov, the man who's sole desire is to hunt Spider-Man, is being turned into a knock-off of Swamp Thing or a male Fluttershy (And that's not fair, cause I love Fluttershy).

Sony’s Kraven Movie Confirms Drastic Departure From Spider-Man Comics

Me right now at Sony Pictures HQ:

Spider-Fan likes this.
  20. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

21. The Infernal Mky Mk

22. P Supreme Registered

I refuse to believe that Sony is that dumb, I mean might as well have him be the head of PETA

23. Pennywise Registered

24. Arachnerd The White Portuguese

It's like watching a more devastating trainwreck after witnessing one previously. You wonder how it could get even worse, and yet somehow it does. What a complete insult to the character. :dry:

Venom 1988 and Spider-Fan like this.