Kurt Sutter on Punisher: Warzone and why he doesn't want credit.

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
Kurt's awesome and never afraid to speak his mind. I look foward to his future movies (Condemned & Awaken the Dragon) but I understand his reasoning here. He has a deep passion for his work and doesn't want credit for a project which doesn't reflect what he wrote. I would love to see his vision for this character some day but also can't wait for the upcoming film.

http://sutterink.blogspot.com/

--
Advance Dark

awe damnit! another sucky Punisher film!?????

I don't see it that way at all. It's just not Kurt's vision and remember Kurt's vision was not Tom Janes vision. Writers don't want credit if the final script isn't a reflection of their work. If Kurt's script wasn't rewritten of course he's take credit. He's not putting down the work...it's just not his vision.

simple story, very obvious dialog and the inclusion of as many characters from the anthology that a movie will allow.

That does not bode well for me.

Like the Punisher is complex. It is simple though I also understand Kurt wanted to make it deeper which is cool too.

Bad Guys kill Frank's family, Frank gets them back.

Like the Punisher is complex. It is simple though I also understand Kurt wanted to make it deeper which is cool too.

Bad Guys kill Frank's family, Frank gets them back.

True, but cliched dialog always sucks to hear.

I don't see it that way at all. It's just not Kurt's vision and remember Kurt's vision was not Tom Janes vision. Writers don't want credit if the final script isn't a reflection of their work. If Kurt's script wasn't rewritten of course he's take credit. He's not putting down the work...it's just not his vision.

but he gave a positive comment on the Jigsaw scene, whats wrong with him taking credit for that? It's being too anal for the sake of being anal to go out of your way and tell the world that you disavow credit but yet you make sure to tell everyone what scene you actually wrote in the film? That makes me angry and my Cymbalta prescription has just expired. Man, I don't want to be quick to point the "u suck" finger at anyone yet, but damn Sutter for the sake of the film why couldn't you just have shut the Hell up about it? Damn Sutter! Thats pretty [EXPLETIVE]suspicious[/EXPLETIVE] to go out of your way and mention the scene you actually wrote. We better see some new media soon before one of us goes "Hulk troll."

Oh yes Hulk angry.

Hulk very angry...

:bh:

urge to flame rising.......

So the Sutter script is the one that scared off directors and made
Tom Jane quit?:bh:

No Sutter rewrote a script that was rewritten so Marcum & Holloway took the best pieces I'm assuming from all 3 and then rewrote the whole thing.

but he gave a positive comment on the Jigsaw scene, whats wrong with him taking credit for that? It's being too anal for the sake of being anal to go out of your way and tell the world that you disavow credit but yet you make sure to tell everyone what scene you actually wrote in the film? That makes me angry and my Cymbalta prescription has just expired. Man, I don't want to be quick to point the "u suck" finger at anyone yet, but damn Sutter for the sake of the film why couldn't you just have shut the Hell up about it? Damn Sutter! Thats pretty [EXPLETIVE]suspicious[/EXPLETIVE] to go out of your way and mention the scene you actually wrote. We better see some new media soon before one of us goes "Hulk troll."

Oh yes Hulk angry.

Hulk very angry...

:bh:

urge to flame rising.......

He doesn't believe he deserves enough credit to be on the list for the reasons he explained. I thought he explained it really well and didn't put down this film at all. In fact he said the fans should be happy.

He said it's a good conventional script wrote by the new guys and that he isn't good at Superhero conventional scripts, which we all know this film and every other comic-book adaptation has and will have. Its a shame we never get to see a writer just let loose and do whatever he wants. I wouldn't give that dream project to this guy though, I trust Tom Jane.

He doesn't believe he deserves enough credit to be on the list for the reasons he explained. I thought he explained it really well and didn't put down this film at all. In fact he said the fans should be happy.

I just hope LionsGate didnt hold a gun to his head for him to say that.

He claims it'll open big and to prepare for a Punisher 3, so that right there explains why they didn't use his script.

The guy's a complete nutcase. :dry:

Sutter had an awesome, brutal screenplay from what I've heard.

Lexi Alexander may not have the best material to work with. Hopefully there have been some rewrites on the screenplay after Lexi revised Marcum and Holloway's draft.

theShape,

Can't you read? He said it's the type of film comic book fans will like and explained it has a simple story, all the characters they could fit in from the franchise, and it does what it needs to to fill up seats. He also said he was trying to make it in the real world and maybe that's not the type of film that does fill up seats. The last Punisher film was set in the real world...just NYC and it made very little money until it hit DVD. So the target audience for a comic book film might not want to see their property changed like that. Who knows.

theShape,

Can't you read? He said it's the type of film comic book fans will like and explained it has a simple story, all the characters they could fit in from the franchise, and it does what it needs to to fill up seats. He also said he was trying to make it in the real world and maybe that's not the type of film that does fill up seats. The last Punisher film was set in the real world...just NYC and it made very little money until it hit DVD. So the target audience for a comic book film might not want to see their property changed like that. Who knows.

I'd have to respectfully disagree.

The last Punisher film was filled with sappy moments of Frank, remembering his slain family. Although the modern day setting and not transfixed in that "comic book" world, I'd say it was the farthest thing from "gritty".

It was a basic twenty-minute action beat film.

You must be talking about the Billy Crystal one then. LOL Cause the Paul Walker one was pretty damn gritty.

I'm talking about the Paul Walker film. Directed by Wayne Kramer. That film tried so hard to be gritty and realistic, especially with the end and cinemotography. And that's exactly what they received - a cheap knock-off of a gritty film. And I don't mean to be mean or rude here. Just what I think.

theShape,

Oh, I can read. I can read very well, in fact. But I don't care what he has to say about why this film will be a succes, but rather the fact that he said this: "If I had to make a wager, I say it will open huge. Be ready for Punisher 3."

I'm calling him a nutcase because it's simply NOT going to be successful. The chances of this film opening big are slim to none...and slim just went out od town.

I'm surprised it isn't going direct to DVD.

Oh, I can read. I can read very well, in fact. But I don't care what he has to say about why this film will be a succes, but rather the fact that he said this: "If I had to make a wager, I say it will open huge. Be ready for Punisher 3."

I'm calling him a nutcase because it's simply NOT going to be successful. The chances of this film opening big are slim to none...and slim just went out od town.

We still have a few months to go:cwink: :whatever:

agony, you make me "think" too much!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"