Lack of young black actors in Hollywood these days!

Is this another everyone is racist thread? Spider-man 3 isracist the black spidey is black, Trandformers is racist Barricade is a black man therefore racist, wheres the black man in home alone, thats racist.

Everything ever is racist if you look at it.

It's PC gone mad. MAD I TELLS YA.

Now I am convinved that you are a highly functioning ******. You sound just like a liberal. When you cant face the truth you call me a racist.

Resorting to name-calling when confronted by an opposing view is generally a far more accute indicator of intelligence, but I digress.

From your first response, you have cited 'whites' as only achieving success through ominous means. After I called you on that, you tried to change what you said or what you meant, but it was pretty clear to me and everyone else.

Slavery is over. I could care less about it. Boo freaking hoo, every race on this planet, including 'whites', has suffered from slavery. At least the slaves of America were treated more humanely than most in history (and even those still in slavery today). I wasn't a slave owner, my parents weren't slave owners, and my grand parents, great grand parents and even great, great grand parents weren't, either. I am from the North - the segment of the country that FREED the slaves.

You can take that chip on your shoulder and tote it around in front of people who give a damn, because I most certainly do not. There is plenty of opportunity available to ALL people in this country, irrespective of race. If you can't go out and work for your own success, maybe YOU are the problem. Quit acting like you're owed something, or that blacks are somehow 'entitled' to reparations. They are not. It's a cruel, unfair world. Get used to it or remove yourself from existence instead of trying to drag everyone else down.

I'd say the real problem is the fact that the black actors don't get to star in or play real roles in the really good movies. But I have to admit a huge chunk of that is the black people in hollwoods fault. When they get a chance to make a movie it's always about growing up in the getto or some family comedy. Wouldn't it be awsome if a black director and producer came up with a cool Sci Fi action movie that stared black people but wasn't about race?

I'd say the real problem is the fact that the black actors don't get to star in or play real roles in the really good movies. But I have to admit a huge chunk of that is the black people in hollwoods fault. When they get a chance to make a movie it's always about growing up in the getto or some family comedy. Wouldn't it be awsome if a black director and producer came up with a cool Sci Fi action movie that stared black people but wasn't about race?

There has been sci fi films with black leads event Horizon or I am Legend for example. Studios do try to market a demographic. I'm sure a lot of black dirctors would love to do those films but sci fi films are expensive. I'm black and I really don't care for these black family comedy films these days.

I don't want to segregate cinema. Also just because your a black director it doesn't mean you have to cast a black lead and same with a white director. I just want a good film that doesn't emphathazie on race. I said before just write a character with human problems we all have.

Not all of these are 'young black actors', and this isn't by any means a complete list, but it doesn't look as though black actors are in short supply in Hollywood. (Note that most of these are from memory.)

Sidney Portier
Morgan Freeman
Will Smith
Denzel Washington
Bill Cosby
Vanessa Williams
Samuel Jackson
Hattie McDaniel
James Baskett
Louis Gossett
Irene Cara
Prince
Whoopi Goldberg
Cuba Gooding, Jr
Halle Berry
Jamie Foxx
Forest Whitaker
Jennifer Hudson
James Earl Jones
Laurence Fishburne
Don Cheadle
Terrance Howard
Dorothy Dandridge
Diana Ross
Cicely Tyson
Angela Bassett
Halle Berry
Rupert Cross
Howard Rollins
Adolph Caesar
Jaye Davidson
Michael Clarke Duncan
Djimon Hounsou
Eddie Murphy
Hattie McDaniel
Ethel Waters
Juanita Moore
Beah Richards
Alfre Woodard
Margaret Avery
Avery Brooks
Marianne Jean-Baptiste
Queen Latifah
Sophie Okonedo
Dennis Haysbert

I'll bet I'm the only poster here who paid cash to see the Martin Lawrence concert movie in the theater.
weird

Is this a young versus old thing? Or a black versus white thing? Because I gotta be honest, I can't think of a decent up and coming star of either color. And as far as age goes, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman and Laurence Fishburne are all fine actors who have much more talent than the white "stars." Even Will Smith is a good actor. I think the actual talent pool is low on both sides. You got Denzel, Will, Morgan, Laurence, Bobby D., Hanks, and Gene Hackman. After that we get into stars versus actors and suddenly race and age goes out the window.

Give me a good solid actor who can deliver a knock out performance and age and race doesn't matter to me. And it shouldn't matter to you either.

I love you guys

Gilpesh- You need to do some research. White americans took slavery to a whole new level of depravity.

Lazur- Is calling me a racist in the face of facts not an indicator of intelligence as well? I never said whites only achieved success through ominous means. But they played a large role. The difference between other groups being enslaved and us is that we still feel the effects of it to this day. After slavery it still tooks us years to get equal rights. Where is all of this reparations stuff coming from? I never said we were owed anything but it would have been nice for freed slaves to have some sort of compensation. But that just makes successful black families that much sweeter, and others who gained it through racism/prejudice that much more hollow.

Is this a young versus old thing? Or a black versus white thing? Because I gotta be honest, I can't think of a decent up and coming star of either color. And as far as age goes, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman and Laurence Fishburne are all fine actors who have much more talent than the white "stars." Even Will Smith is a good actor. I think the actual talent pool is low on both sides. You got Denzel, Will, Morgan, Laurence, Bobby D., Hanks, and Gene Hackman. After that we get into stars versus actors and suddenly race and age goes out the window.

Give me a good solid actor who can deliver a knock out performance and age and race doesn't matter to me. And it shouldn't matter to you either.

Exactly. I'm taking my entire team from work out to see I Am Legend this Friday. Will Smith rocks!

I see spidey there are plenty of black directors who would love to make action/sci-fi but the studios wont give them a chance. You should read interviews with guys like Spike Lee,John Singleton,Hughes Brothers,John Ridley, and Antoine Fuqua. It's really depressing.

Is this a young versus old thing? Or a black versus white thing? Because I gotta be honest, I can't think of a decent up and coming star of either color.
I know. You used to get people like Marlon Brando or Brad Pitt coming up.

Now the best you can do is Shia LeBeouf?!?
An idiot like Ben Affleck is now an "old hand".
People think that chick that played Legolas makes for a good Leading Man?!?

Race is not the problem.
Everyone and everything just sucks now. *shrug*

I see spidey there are plenty of black directors who would love to make action/sci-fi but the studios wont give them a chance. You should read interviews with guys like Spike Lee,John Singleton,Hughes Brothers,John Ridley, and Antoine Fuqua. It's really depressing.

The entire entertainment industry is skewed in such a way as to prevent MANY talented people (regardless of race) from ever being discovered.

Oh, but the times are a changing. I'll keep you posted ;).

Hey, say what you will about Shia, but Michael Cera's the f**king man! :cmad:

qft

True - Michael's hilarious, but is he the next Tom Cruise?

Wait -- I just remembered I don't want another Tom Cruise, so never mind.

Michael Cera for Mission Impossible 4! :up:

different class of actors. i hope cera doesn't turn out to be a narcissistic over-actor with no sense of humor.

This is the only one that's close:

244.luke.derek.101006.jpg

He's 33, though. :(

My guess is that young Black actors can't get work unless they're on TV playing thugs, criminals, or sports players.

There's this guy:
kenan-thompson-1-sized.jpg

-TNC

derek luke was the first name to come to mind when i heard "young black actors". he's great.

Jonathan Rhys-Myers is Irish.

Can't people make a thread about black people without menitioning slavery?

Anyway back on topic. As we all know Hollywood isn't exactly handing out staring roles in good movies to ethnic minorities. Only a handful break through. Most the casting directors in Hollywood only use black people for thug number 5 or cop number 7.

Also its like Laurence Fishburn said a few years ago. Hollywood needs to give roles actors and not rappers just because they are well known.

I think when some writers in Hollywood are writing a black character they forget they are writing a person and think more they are writing a 'black person'. Shows with black characters like Lost or Heroes work because race isn't all the characters are about. Its the human problems and issues we all have which makes them intresting and ultimatly successful.

Anyway as dicussed in the New Soul Glo Lounge one of mine and a few other guys favourite Black Actors is Chiwetel Ejiofor. Granted his 33 but his still one of the best up an coming actors. His currently acting Ewan McGregor's ass off the stage in othello.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiwetel_Ejiofor
chiwetel_l.jpg

good points.

ejiofor is a brilliant actor. :up:

there's a movie that came out a few years ago called "george washington", starring a bunch of young black kids with no acting experience. they were all excellent and i highly recommend the film.

Lack of young black actors... You can blame that on Nick Cannon :D

As a Black American I think it's rubish to incinuate that their isn't enough young Black representation in Hollywood. I grew up in the 80's, and I can tell you that Hollywood has made phenomenal strides in allowing equal opportunnity to Black Americans, in Film and TV.

As for the race baiters, why do you come here to incite racial animosity. It's ok to talk racial politics, but when it comes to be a superiority issue, saying my race is better then yours, it will only breed divisiveness, hate, and resentment. Moderator, please close this thread. Since some of us can't discuss race without turning it into cyber race war.

Must be getting old lol. Never heard of him or seen any of his movies.

Nick did ok in that movie called weapons that came out last year. But that isnt saying much.

Hello, as I young black man, I just noticed something, their seems to be a very huge lacking of up and coming young black actors [18 to 25] in Hollywood these days. I cannot name one, that has co-starred or starred in a Hollywood picture in recent years. Whos gonna be the next wesley snipes, or Denzel etc?

"This Chirstman" the no whites allowed movie has a black male/white female couple. Shia Lebouf,Ben Foster, Emile Hirsch, Hayden Christansen, Michael Cera, Freedy highmore, Garret Hedlund, Benjamin Mckenzie, Adam Brody, Vincent Karhtesier, Shawn Hatosy, Shawn Ashmore, Timothy Olyphant, Jonathan Rhys Meyers Davis, and hundreds more. Can you name black actors/actresses under 21 that are up and coming like thses guys? Didnt think so.

Foster is 27, Christiansen is 26 and is a terrible actor, Highmore is 15, McKenzie is 29, Brody is 28, Kartheiser is 28, Hatosy is 32, Ashmore is 28, Olyphant is 39, and Rhys Meyer is 30.

THe only actors in your list that fit the 18-25 age range you're thinking of is LeBeouf, who's a hit or miss actor, Emile Hirsch, Michael Cera, who was in an overrated movie, and Garret Hedlund, who most likely no one knows who he is.

Thats 4 of the supposed 'hundreds more' or the white actors. I don't see your logic in how there's little young up and coming black actors in Hollywood because of white ones.:whatever:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"