BvS Larry Fong is the cinematographer!

EliteF50

Sidekick
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=108748

Couldn't be happier that Fong and Snyder are teaming up again! MOS looked great, but nothing tops Watchmen, Sucker Punch or 300 in terms of CBM visuals. So excited to see some iconic comic panels in live action! :D

What do you guys think? Think Snyder should've stuck to the MOS aesthetic, or are you looking forward to the more stylistic approach they're most likely gonna go for?

Last edited:
So glad at this news, Watchmen is a beautiful film. I thought the cinematography in Man of Steel was great but I didn't like the under saturated palette or the excessive grainy effect.

Last edited:
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=108748

Couldn't be happier that Fong and Snyder are teaming up again! MOS looked great, but nothing tops Watchmen, Sucker Punch or 300 in terms of visuals. So excited to see some iconic comic panels in live action! :D

What do you guys think? Think Snyder should've stuck to the MOS aesthetic, or are you looking forward to the more stylistic approach they're most likely gonna go for?

I'm extremely happy he's working with Snyder again. MOS looked good at times, but other times it looked pretty bad. The scene where he starts to fly for the first time looked liked crap, way too grainy and the colors of Superman and the landscape looked muted. It felt like I was watching another film for a few seconds.

Huge step backwards for Snyder. MOS is by far Snyder's best looking film. His other films all look fake, not just the horrible green screen ones. Even the City in Watchmen has that obvious look of a set. This is actually infuriating

Disagree.In part because I like watchman better than man of steel.If this means we are getting away from so called 'Realstic" look It's even better.

I'm not a huge fan of Fong's previous work with Snyder (save for Watchmen), but his work on Now You See Me and Super 8 were gorgeous.

If Snyder and Fong aim for the aesthetic of the latter two, then it should look stunning.

I'm extremely happy he's working with Snyder again. MOS looked good at times, but other times it looked pretty bad. The scene where he starts to fly for the first time looked liked crap, way too grainy and the colors of Superman and the landscape looked muted. It felt like I was watching another film for a few seconds.
I´m happy with this new team... but the cinematography of superman was great... The scene when he starts to fly (DBZ STYLE) is one of the best things of the movie.. the colors you can like it or no but the scene in there was pretty awesome and the movie realistic tone wouldn't change.... but you serious :huh:

tumblr_m7iwuiAA9P1qc6xxfo1_500.gif

iCEx9LVacALuW.gif

VuZuj06.gif
(is not hd)

mos.gif

4a0.gif

tumblr_mnd8jptc3J1qbmi16o2_500.gif

tumblr_mezs3fg81y1qe31kuo1_500.gif

tumblr_mfuo0biEFK1qf31a3o1_500.gif

I CALL IT REALISTIC I SAY SUPERMAN IN THE 21st CENTURY... :cwink:

Last edited:
Sounds good. No shakey cam this time though, please.

I liked Amir Mokri's cinematography, the washed out color scheme and shakey cam work is an artistic choice, it is something that director Snyder would have told his cinematographer to use.

Larry Fong is also a very good DOP but I like Mokri's work more, so in my opinion this is a small step in backward direction.

The marriage between Mokri's visuals and Zimmers score was the biggest triumph of MOS. Always had a feeling Snyder went with the realistic approach just to land the job off of Nolan. Now he's out of the picture he can go back to making unrealistic, terrible looking films.

AWESOME NEWS!

Now this is something I can get behind (this ain't like Affleck :D).

Fong is a genius. 300 is a visual masterpiece! A dazzling film and his work on other Snyder films has also been strong and striking.

Hoping for some bold images this time around after MOS was curiously lacking in that department inspite of being a Snyder film.

GREAT NEWS!

The marriage between Mokri's visuals and Zimmers score was the biggest triumph of MOS. Always had a feeling Snyder went with the realistic approach just to land the job off of Nolan. Now he's out of the picture he can go back to making unrealistic, terrible looking films.

I think people are giving Mokri too much credit. If Fong had lensed MOS, the look would've been pretty similar. Desaturated colors, handheld shots, the works.

Surprised more people aren't saddened by the prospect of the pre 2013 Snyder aesthetic returning. The saturation, the dark and the slow motion.

Myself never complaining about such things as I enjoy but I am surprised none the less.

I don't think Snyder will completely abandon his 2013 aesthetic, just because Fong is back. I can see him incorporating aspects of both, actually.

I thing people are misunderstanding some things - hand held is not a cinematography decision, it is a direction decision. In the featurette and interview they spoke that right at the scripting stage, Snyder decided the single camera hand-held approach.

So the film would be shot exactly the same, the difference might be in the colors or whatever but even that is the directors call.

And Fong returning does not mean more slow motion, again a cinematographer does not edit the movie. Slow motion is decided by the editor and the director.

And if you want a sober beautifully shot film by Fong, see Super 8. A truly lovely looking film short in natural colors.

But honestly I wouldn't mind something stylized. Even the Nolan Batman films were stylized, they had pumped up contrast and in many scenes a tendency towards the blue spectrum, but they looked great.

Yeah the first flight was weird. The close up shots didn't do anything for me, and as for the flying through landscape shots, some were great, some I felt totally detached from.

Really interested to see Fong's impact on this picture.

Yeah the first flight was weird. The close up shots didn't do anything for me, and as for the flying through landscape shots, some were great, some I felt totally detached from.

Really interested to see Fong's impact on this picture.

tumblr_mfuo0biEFK1qf31a3o1_500.gif

tumblr_mezs3fg81y1qe31kuo1_500.gif

really bad :o

I´m happy with this new team... but the cinematography of superman was great... The scene when he starts to fly (DBZ STYLE) is one of the best things of the movie.. the colors you can like it or no but the scene in there was pretty awesome and the movie realistic tone wouldn't change.... but you serious

I CALL IT REALISTIC I SAY SUPERMAN IN THE 21st CENTURY... :cwink:

I guess I should have explained it better. I liked the look of the majority of the film. It was just the scene where he's flying over the different landscapes. When he first takes off and when he goes into space, those shots looked fine.

Last edited:
I thing people are misunderstanding some things - hand held is not a cinematography decision, it is a direction decision. In the featurette and interview they spoke that right at the scripting stage, Snyder decided the single camera hand-held approach.

So the film would be shot exactly the same, the difference might be in the colors or whatever but even that is the directors call.

And Fong returning does not mean more slow motion, again a cinematographer does not edit the movie. Slow motion is decided by the editor and the director.

And if you want a sober beautifully shot film by Fong, see Super 8. A truly lovely looking film short in natural colors.

But honestly I wouldn't mind something stylized. Even the Nolan Batman films were stylized, they had pumped up contrast and in many scenes a tendency towards the blue spectrum, but they looked great.

:up: I think Fong is the superior choice; both are good but he seems to know how to direct the light to create an atmosphere better. Super 8 would've been a better sample of how to achieve the "realistic" look of the movie they went for in MOS, if you ask me. The ironic thing is that even though people are saying he's really stylized, Super 8 is far more toned down in style than MOS's cinematography if you ask me.

Of course, this is entirely dependent on however Snyder chooses to shoot the movie. He could go in either direction to suit the story, though I think it'd be really jarring if he went full-on Watchmen/300 with this.

I actually don't mind the slow-mo, as long as they don't overdo it. For Batman's fight scenes, in particular, I think slo-mo can be very effective. Superman, of course, should remain impossibly fast though. I certainly don't want him slowed down in the next film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"