Lasso Of Truth: In The Long Run Will This Film Live Up To The Current Hype?

KRYPTON INC.

Incorporated Kryptonian
Reaction score
I feel like a **** heel just making this thread but... I like the film immensely.
Seeing the piling on of Gal for the past few years it is nice to see the tide turning so dramatically. Still as much as I appreciated the way Jenkins and Co.
realized the dream of making a live action Wonder Woman and doing it as well as it was done... Is the hype surrounding this film actually warranted? Sure, people that love the film even admit to reservations about certain aspects, the villains and finale seem to be the consensus elements that people were not on board with 100%

Still though I have a bit of whiplash going on with the praise the film has gotten given the vehemence of opinion and the feelings of so many online concerning the super hero films of WB. Much like my view on those opinions being over dramatic, hyperbolic and over the top... I am feeling the reaction to this film is the opposite side of the coin. I am of the mind that, no, the previous films by WB with DC characters was not "hot garbage" with no redeeming qualities (and if you think that's a straw man... you haven't been paying attention to the discussions on the Hype since 2013. Sorry but don't piss in my ear and tell me it's rain that such sentiments have not been seen a plenty posted in almost every thread, even the ones with no relation to the world of CBMs), and yet I cannot, for as much as I enjoyed the film call it some transcendent piece of film making or even some game changing (though it will be so for Female led tent poles I think) and top of it's class all time great super hero movie. It's very solid, both in entertainment and in realizing a favorite character of mine in live action. But there's a confluence of things online and off that I think is getting the film and all aspects a strange over praising.

I know this sounds like a purely contrarian rant. If you want to think so, fine,
but those that know me on the Hype know I have simply an allergic reaction to "hyperbole" in our conversations about CBMs. Thus my positions on the DCEU not being hot garbage from top to bottom as well as pointing out that lots of product from Marvel Studios is also not unquestionably always the best and most artfully done.

I hope no one misinterprets this as a slam against the film. Just as my criticisms against Marvel product that I find wanting isn't actually calling anything (outside of Agents of Shield) trash, neither is saying that WONDER WOMAN is getting over hyped online saying it's terrible or similar.

Thoughts? Anyone else agree? Disagree? Have at it, but please, let's be civil,
as well as understanding that the intent is for this not so much to be a skepticism thread or a place where the Hypesters that must trash DCEU films to live come to congregate but a place to talk about how the reaction to the film may now be over the top, and such reactions won't stand the test of time once the sugar high of seeing Wonder Woman on screen in her own film wears off.

I can only speak for myself.

I saw Wonder Woman twice. The first time was great. The second time a bit less so, but still very good.

Its a great origin story. I feel like it will stand the test of time, but its not in that absolute upper tier in the superhero genre.

I think there's a risk of overhyping the movie, it's great, but not "best ever" great. it should be in the "top 10 of all time superhero films" of many people's list after things cool down. that RT score puts a bit of pressure expectation wise too, but WB wont complain about the money it generate lol

It'll be remembered as a great CBM but probably not as anybody's favorite.

I look forward very much to what Patty and co. do with the WW sequel. That's what concerns me. That movie will greatly affect how this movie will be seen, and how her work on this movie will be looked back on. Whether it builds on this to something great, or if this is where it peaks. Ideally, this should be the start, only the beginning, a great foundation to build on something even better, more complex, more mythic, to create a much more layered story. While still maintaining (or bettering) the emotional resonance that this movie achieved.

Last edited:
Well I loved it more the second time around, so for me yes I think it will most definitely hold up. I'd say it's one of my favorite origin movies after Man Of Steel. Although I prefer a little more thematically complex and layered movies like BvS I still greatly appreciated Wonder Woman's more straightforward and linear approach. And another thing I loved about it was that it didn't shy away from showing the darkness of wars. It's a pretty dark movie.

It is a well-done movie that struck a chord with the public and captured something in the zeitgeist. Nothing can really take away from that, even if in the future people see more of its flaws. Popular movies are popular movies.

I liked it more second time. It will always be counted as one of the better made superhero origin story.

I look forward very much to what Patty and co. do with the WW sequel. That's what concerns me. That movie will greatly affect how this movie will be seen, and how her work on this movie will be looked back on. Whether it builds on this to something great, or if this is where it peaks. Ideally, this should be the start, only the beginning, a great foundation to build on something even better, more complex, more mythic, to create a much more layered story. While still maintaining (or bettering) the emotional resonance that this movie achieved.

This is exactly how I feel.

...although, the period setting makes it feels like we hit the reset button on her entire supporting cast. But if The Winter Soldier turned out good, I hope WW sequel can too.

I think the soundtrack will be timeless though, f*** yah =P

(guess what I'm doing right now)

This is exactly how I feel.

...although, the period setting makes it feels like we hit the reset button on her entire supporting cast. But if The Winter Soldier turned out good, I hope WW sequel can too.

I think the Cap sequels are what to aim for in terms of quality.

I think a TDKesque nuanced sequel would be nice, though I would actually love a character-driven Spiderman2ish movie.

WW is what it is, it doesnt need 2 more good sequels to show it lived up to the hype.

^ This. Do the IM sequels detract from the first film? Not really. Films are what they are.

Unless a TDK comes along :p

If we get a TDK-quality Wondy sequel, I would be ecstatic, but I'll definitely take TWS or CW level quality.

Wonder Woman will stand on its own two feet no matter what. The sequels, even if they are Batman and Robin/Superman IV level ridiculous, wont take away from it. This is game changer just like Superman was in 1978. (or Batman '89, X-Men, Iron Man...etc)

It will most probably stand on its own as a highly popular CBM relative to its anticipated sequel.

As before when Jenkins signed on to direct Wonder Woman, I have every confidence that she will make an excellent sequel. This time I hope that she get to do the bulk of writing herself. Her pedigree was quite obvious to me from her directing-writing effort on 'Monster'. She's capable of creating a Wonder Woman sequel as near to TDK level.

It's a great film but not a game changer on its own.

78 Superman was a game changer, 89 Batman was a game changer, First Xmen is a game changer by modernizing the genre, Spider-Man 1 and 2 are game changers, Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy is a game changer, The Avengers is a game changer.

WW is great continuation for MOS and BVS. And hopefully when JL brings it all home with greatness then WW along with MOS and BVS topped off by JL then all will be game changers. I love all 3 films, the only difference is that RT backed WW.

Psychologists could make an experiment where IF RT gave WW the same score as BVS and MOS then it will be as divisive as the other two.

Don't get me wrong because I love WW and I think it's a great movie ....way better than Most of Marvel's individual origin movies.

But I also love MOS and BVS.

However, WW had a great wave of help with RT's backing, timing, great Gal Gadot casting, the peak age of feminism, being the first female superhero and the first WW solo film ever.

It's a great film but not a game changer on its own.

78 Superman was a game changer, 89 Batman was a game changer, First Xmen is a game changer by modernizing the genre, Spider-Man 1 and 2 are game changers, Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy is a game changer, The Avengers is a game changer.

WW is great continuation for MOS and BVS. And hopefully when JL brings it all home with greatness then WW along with MOS and BVS topped off by JL then all will be game changers. I love all 3 films, the only difference is that RT backed WW.

Psychologists could make an experiment where IF RT gave WW the same score as BVS and MOS then it will be as divisive as the other two.

Don't get me wrong because I love WW and I think it's a great movie ....way better than Most of Marvel's individual origin movies.

But I also love MOS and BVS.

WW has a great wave of help with RT's backing, timing, great Gal Gadot casting, the peak age of feminism, being the first female superhero and the first WW solo film ever.

Wonder Woman is a game changer in that it's the first successful female led superhero movie-and a very good one at that.

As for RT, they're just an arpeggiator. It's flawed, but it's just putting in scores that reviewers enter in.

As for film criticism, that's been broken for decades. Blade Runner was considered a "bad" film upon release, now a sci-fi classic.

Is WW overrated? I don't think so. The average score is 7.6, rather than something like an 8-so it's not like reviewers are saying this is life changing cinema.

Is it overhyped? The most iconic female superhero of all time getting her own movie.

url]

Is the narrative "to the next level"?

I don't think so, but this is an origin film. Most are simplistic in nature. Often the sequels (X2,Spiderman 2/TDK/Winter Soldier) are more heavily plotted and deeper in characterization-so hopefully WW will shine in those films as well, as she has already in her last "two" movies.

Wonder Woman is a game changer in that it's the first successful female led superhero movie-and a very good one at that.

As for RT, they're just an arpeggiator. It's flawed, but it's just putting in scores that reviewers enter in.

As for film criticism, that's been broken for decades. Blade Runner was considered a "bad" film upon release, now a sci-fi classic.

Is WW overrated? I don't think so. The average score is 7.6, rather than something like an 8-so it's not like reviewers are saying this is life changing cinema.

Is it overhyped? The most iconic female superhero of all time getting her own movie?

giphy.gif

Is the narrative "to the next level"?

I don't think so, but this is an origin film. Most are simplistic in nature. Often the sequels (X2,Spiderman 2/TDK/Winter Soldier) are more heavily plotted and deeper in characterization-so hopefully WW will shine in those films as well, as she has already in her last "two" movies.

Seems odd to have this discussion/debate one week into the "life" of this film.

As it stands today, the "hype" for Wonder Woman is warranted. It's a great film that has been critically acclaimed and well received by fans and casual moviegoers alike, as evidenced by its indisputable box office success. I think most will agree that it's one of the better superhero movies, and certainly one of the best superhero origin films. I haven't seen too many (or any) overly hyperbolic claims that WW is among the best films of all time, or anything crazy like that.

In the future? This film will undoubtedly be well-regarded and highly ranked among other superhero films. Beyond that, though, it will be as it always is -- plenty of people will keep WW high up on a pedestal of praise, and plenty of people will downplay its success and claim it was overrated/over-hyped but still solid.

As I type this, there are literally people in other threads who are debating the merits and quality of CBM films like TDK and The Avengers, discussing whether or not those films were overrated, etc.

I think the reaction to this movie has been fairly similar to Iron Man.

Critics liked it, and fans liked it. Prior to the movie's release, there was some skepticism about whether the lead character could carry a movie, and about the lead actor being a good choice for the role. Iron Man didn't have a huge opening, but the legs were very good, due to sustained interest.

In the long run, I don't think perception of this movie is going to be much different from that movie. They follow the same basic mold, in terms of how fans and critics have responded.

Batman Begins is a bit different, since Batman is a top-tier sort of character that already had a history of success in theaters. So that movie was more of a "reboot" situation.

Iron Man had a mediocre sequel, and then a polarizing part 3. Batman Begins had a great sequel, and then a part 3 with a more mixed reception.

So, while future Wonder Woman movies might affect the perception of this movie a bit, I don't think it will have a huge impact.

It's one of the best superhero origin stories.

Until the herd decides to tear it down for being overrated a la TDKT. Nolan was our very own lord and savior for a while, until the fanboy zeitgeist changed and moved in the opposite direction.

Until the herd decides to tear it down for being overrated a la TDKT. Nolan was our very own lord and savior for a while, until the fanboy zeitgeist changed and moved in the opposite direction.

I'm going to bet something more unique than just turning on a particular director.

I'm going to bet something more unique than just turning on a particular director.

Oh yeah, I'm sure the hive mind will be very creative. All the CBM movies punting some kind of ideological angle (not that it sounds like WW was being on the nose about any of it) will have some kind of criticism leveled at it. I'm pretty sure many positives people cite about the movie now will be used as clubs to beat it with a year or two from now.

Most people are just falling in line now because it's the accepted thing to do, whether or not they genuinely have positive sentiments toward the movie or not.

I've seen it three times and found I enjoyed it more with each viewing. I find there's a lot more there than you realize when you know what's coming and can review it more carefully. The villains are deeper than you'd think and there are a lot of little flourishes that come out in the portrayals that I didn't notice before.

Patty Jenkins was clearly in control of the narrative and able to get fantastic performances from everyone, including little details in each performance that often go unnoticed. Pay attention to Robin Wright, David Thewlis, Connie Nielsen, Elena Anaya, Danny Huston and others and you can see subtle things that are really huge when you see them. I didn't notice them the first time through, but these little touches make me appreciate the film more and more.

The thing that continues to amaze me about Wonder Woman is that it functions well as a straight forward popcorn comic book movie if that's all you want. But there's another, deeper level that it works on for those that wish to look deeper. The Dark Knight for all its greatness is a weighty movie no matter what. You can't avoid it. Most of the Marvel stuff is just fun with some weightier stuff for consideration, but it's more peripheral like Winter Soldier.

I think Wonder Woman is holding the box office as it is BECAUSE it is so good at being what the viewer wants it to be. If they just want to engage it superficially, it works. If they want to look deeper, that works too.

And that's why I think it's a masterpiece. It is so difficult to make a film or any work of art that can be engaged and enjoyed at a superficial level for mere fun and distract while also producing something that can be much deeper WITHOUT being heavy handed.

I think as time goes by the admiration for the film will grow as others become more aware of how well Patty Jenkins navigated the fantastic script by Heinberg. Every decision is just about perfect. Even the third act is much better when you come back to it and look deeper.

I still stand amazed at it and my amazement really didn't occur until viewing two when I decided to look a but deeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"