Last Night In Soho

James.B

In search of the absurd
Reaction score
Edgar Wright’s Next Film Is A Psychological Horror, Plus Baby Driver 2 Update – EXCLUSIVE

While his most recent film saw him steer into crime-thriller territory, delivering rip-roaring car chases and spins on the traditional heist movie, he’s about to venture even further from his comedy roots with his next film. Talking to Empire, Wright revealed his next project is a straight-up psychological horror-thriller – he cites Don’t Look Now and Roman Polanski's Repulsion as influences – set in London, and starring a female lead.

“I realised I had never made a film about central London – specifically Soho, somewhere I’ve spent a huge amount of time in the last 25 years,” Wright tells Empire in the new issue, out 24 January. “With Hot Fuzz and Shaun Of The Dead you make movies about places you’ve lived in. This movie is about the London I’ve existed in.” The film will shoot this summer from a screenplay co-written by Krysty Wilson-Cairns.

Since we know good audio design can really make a horror movie, this is going to be phenomenal.

I really miss the English-influenced horror genre as a whole. Wright can tackle virtually any genre and having him do something that's so close to home, makes me even more excited.

I always love it when the old Hammer films pop up on TCM.

Between the Supsiria remake, which takes its main influences not from Argento but other 70s filmmakers, as well films like Hereditary, we are in a surprising upswing of Roeg styel adult horror films. I'm into it.

I'm trying to imagine Wright's trademark style and habits mixing with psychological horror and I just dont see how the two fit together. But we'll see. I'm always interested in Wright's films.

I'm trying to imagine Wright's trademark style and habits mixing with psychological horror and I just dont see how the two fit together. But we'll see. I'm always interested in Wright's films.

The thing that stands out to me the most is going to be the sound design. Which he is a master of.

tumblr_inline_oca5zb2pdy1t5oi1e_250.gif

If he's allowed to do 'full on horror' then yes, this will succeed, London as a setting, has so much potential to haunt, particularly the Soho setting. Written with his knowledge of 'British-ness' and traits of knowing what makes things scary will ensure this is well made.

He's been name dropping a lot of different films, particularly those by Nicholas Roeg. A lot of late 70s films were super overt with their editing and snap zooms. Doesn't seem like much of a stretch to be honest.

I hear that this was originally meant to be First Night in Soho, but Edgar Wright took so long that their stay ran out, so now it's the last night. :o

I hear that this was originally meant to be First Night in Soho, but Edgar Wright took so long that their stay ran out, so now it's the last night. :o

Your jabs at Edgar Wright are getting real old. He put off production of Ant-man to do At World's End because the producer, who Wright credits for his career because of Shaun of the Dead, had been diagnosed with cancer. And we wanted to finish the cornetto trilogy for him.

I have seen that particular joke pop far too often in relation to his posts. It bugs me, because the last delay on Ant-man was for a great reason.

I have seen that particular joke pop far too often in relation to his posts. It bugs me, because the last delay on Ant-man was for a great reason.
Beyond that obviously valid reason, it doesn't even make sense. Wright makes movies on pretty set scheduled. Since Shaun of the Dead, he has released a film every 3 years, with the exception of Baby Driver, which took 4 years because of Ant-Man. A film he was willing to do on a 2 year schedule, but then Marvel ****ed that up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"