Latest Anime you watched? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elfen Lied. The whole thing. I still can't tell you why people like it. Good for a laugh, though.

Darker than Black is a disappointment so far. I am up to ep 10 and am seriously bored so far in this series. It usually takes about 5 eps for me to be interested. I won't drop this but will pick it up some other time. Trying to fill the void left after Bleach ended. Any recommendations of other anime along the level of Bleach in terms of action?

Darker than Black is a disappointment so far. I am up to ep 10 and am seriously bored so far in this series. It usually takes about 5 eps for me to be interested. I won't drop this but will pick it up some other time. Trying to fill the void left after Bleach ended. Any recommendations of other anime along the level of Bleach in terms of action?
Try Ao No Exorcist (Blue Exorcist). Only 26 episodes long and it ends up coming up with its own ending seeing as the manga is still going on but it's still worth a watch.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 1 You Are Not Alone
After many years, and many failed attempts to see this, I've finally done it. It started with the trailer for Pacific Rim arrived this week and resurrected my mecha-hype. So, I sought out something that could satisfy the hunger. Found naturally nothing of value ... sigh ... not surprised ... so then I went with this. And people usually say that Evangelion is the magnum opus of mecha anime, so I figured that if anything it ought to work.

First and foremost, it was not as bad as every other mecha anime is. Much of what I liked about this is the non-descriptive background story, but it would be fun to get a little more meat on the bones too. Then I must also commend the technical and especially the actors, especially the actress who is the older girl who is some kind of control room manager. Really good voice acting there!

Then the bad parts. Shall we start with pedo feeling we get? Why does a 30 year old woman take in a twelve years old and the first thing she thinks of is if she has feelings for this kid? And then the movie plays on this too and sort of agrees with her, which it makes it even more creepy.

The other thing I would complain about is that of course this is a story about a ****ing emo kid, which is so incredibly super serious and "deep" so you just want him to die painfully and quickly. And obviously the film wants us to care about his ****ing feelings too. Sigh. Why must it always be emos in these stories?

The third thing I would complain about is that it felt very trapped. Sure, you got (some kind of) an explanation as to why the angels are just attacking this one city, but come on now, a city in a bay that can not be larger than like New Jersey? If I were an angel I would take over the rest of the world first, since there appears to be no protection or any life at all ... hm, or is this it? That the Earth is completely empty except for Tokyo-3? I never got the feeling that it was world-threatening attacks, so this may be the last frontier on earth has? Oh well in that case I'd still be complaining, I would have liked to get a little wider view of the world, that it had taken place on an international level so as the feeling of threat had actually meant something. Now it was just like a little town had a small problem with local pests.

I hope the next is better because I really like the concept and all that technical stuff behind the scenes.

You get a more world wide view in 2.22 when they show other countries fending off the Angels with their own Evas.

Their might be more to it because i havn't seen the original series yet, but the Angels are attacking NERV in particular because they're trying to get to Lilith.

Sounds good! That was probably my main complaint about the story, global threats are much more interesting than local ones.

Also, can anyone recomend a mecha series that hasnt got any emo kids being über good at driving the mechs for inexplicable reasons? I've always wanted to see a mecha series with old veterans driving them instead.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 2 You Can Not Advance
Now this is more like it! A huge improvement from the first one even though it still got it's share of annoyances. The good stuff in this one was that it, as Lucien here pointed out also, the wider view of the world. A lot more action and it just felt that more vital stuff actually happened here, what happened to the characters was brilliant! I also loved the set pieces in this one. And the characters wasnt as bad as they were in the first one... which brings me to the bad stuff...

We still haven't gotten rid of the paedophilia stuff, which is so bloody annoying as it hinders a lot of the enjoyment of the characters. And then we have even more emo kid stupid feelings that we have to care about. This is my main problem with this one - first of all we have two kids we hate, and then they introduce two new ones that are a lot more likeable, and then, what do they do? They kill off one of them and doesn't even introduce the other one that well to the audience! The hell movie? Way to treat your audience! So in the end we get stuck with the two unlikeable whiny ass kids anyway. We just cant catch a break now can we? I actually agree with the father when he says something like "I dont have time for childish hissyfits". Thank you dad. I agree completely! So fire them and hire some real pilots instead!

And another thing, the ending was very very iffy. I liked the implications of what was happening with the angel and eva-01 but I didn't really get, how and why that stuff happened. This would have been a good thing to teach the audience about sometime in the movie in some flashback or whathaveyou, so we aren't completely lost in the end.

All in all, I'm very psyched about the 3rd one now after seeing this :D

Last edited:
Just found by accident the space-military-opera Legends of the Galactic Heroes and have now seen the first episode of it. Two cultures at war with each other in space in our galaxy, and we get to follow adult (for once :wow:) soldiers and officers!

It was very low key, I must say, and very seriously too, which I liked. It feels like this series will evolve into something very grand in its 100+ episodes. It is also a series I would like to see adapted into live action as well :)

And also, even though I'm a bit hesitant to the art style of 80's anime, it's pretty damn atmospheric nonetheless:
X6sWO.jpg

I dont suppose there are any modern series that could be compared to this?

Toward the Terra? It's essentially X-Men meets Battlestar Galactica.

Oh, Battlestar Galactica is a very good style to have, so I will definitely check that out!

God I forget how awesome Paprika is. Best visual representation of dreams ever

Rewatched Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

No other anime ever lifts my spirits as much as TTGL.

I finished Cowboy Bebop.

I felt like it could have been more ambitious. Maybe with some arcs with more interesting situations and antagonists. In general, there were more standalone episodes. One didn't really depend on the other.

It seemed to me like nearly 10 episodes could have been canon and the rest could've been filler. I think it lacked some more tension. It's a good anime, though. There were some nice adventures with pleasent conclusions and a great soundtrack.

Sword Art Online is next.

I was just browsing this thread and saw that you were going to watch Sword Art Online and I had heard about it before, so I decided to watch it and as of now I'm 4 episodes in and it's a damn good show.

It's like .hack/sign mixed with Deadman Wonderland along with high end production values. Love A-1 Pictures (animation studio) they never disappoint.

Elfen Lied. The whole thing. I still can't tell you why people like it. Good for a laugh, though.

This. It got a WTF from me and not the good kind either.

I've heard a lot of praise for Elfen Lied. I watched a clip online where a boy beats a puppy to a pulp; no thanks.

G.T.O episode 43
Same reason people like Star Wars?
Watched a few episodes of this, enjoyed it the first round

Sword Art Online. All 25 episodes.

What a great story. I thoroughly enjoyed this series and it left me aching for more. I fell in love with the characters. This is one of those shows were you're left thinking about it the whole day. Even at work I was day dreaming about this wonderful story.

Kirito and Asuna's relationship was really well done and for once the freaking hero actually got to kiss his significant other and not completely wuss out. Here's hoping they decide to make a season 2.

FLCL.

Short but sweet series that practically demands multiple viewings. It's very quirky, there's a lot happening that if you blink you'll miss it throughout the show.

Darker than Black is a disappointment so far. I am up to ep 10 and am seriously bored so far in this series. It usually takes about 5 eps for me to be interested. I won't drop this but will pick it up some other time.

Agreed, I haven't dropped it yet, I can't get into it (awesome soundtrack though)-but its good filler.

Ouran High School Host Club. It's still as utterly hilarious as the first time I watched it.

Ouran High School Host Club. It's still as utterly hilarious as the first time I watched it.

Making my way through it and love it. A few friends recommended some more violent animes for me, but this is a great break from that. Honey is my favorite character.

...and making my way through Fruits Basket...for the millionth time. I really love the series.

Little Busters, the new anime series based on the KEY / Visual Arts visual novel.

If you LOVED Clannad and Clannad: After Story, I say give this a CHANCE :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"