Latest Anime you watched? - Part 1

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Thread Manager, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigdbfan

craigdbfan Well-Known Member

I'm five episodes in right now and I have no idea why I'm so in love with it already. I've always kept the OVA's in the back burner until I finally decided to start watching yesterday and now I'm hooked.

It's definitely worth watching. Incredibly well written show with some good philosophical questions being posed.

2. Lord

Lord All Mighty

I never watched the OVA's, i'm 2 or 3 episodes behind what's currently happening but i guarantee you that it gets even better with the 2nd arc which starts in episode 10. The animation's not very good but the execution makes up for it.

JoJo's quite old, from the 80s and the manga has gone part vol.100. It was about time it got an anime. Don't expect something as deep as Psycho pass for example, it's not what JoJo's trying to do, just like Toriko it's supposed to be entertaining, crazy, badass and consistent in quality.

Thank you, Psycho-Pass is with Fate/ Zero in my to watch anime list.

3. Lucien

Lucien Bozhe Moi

Mobile Suit Gundam MS Igloo.

Having not long watched MS Gundam this was great seeing some of the Zeon perspective. The CG animation holds up really well even with it being close to 10 years old.

4. childeroland

childeroland Well-Known Member

Shin Sekai Yori. Better than Another.

5. Duke

Duke Well-Known Member

Pokemon

6. Lucien

Lucien Bozhe Moi

MS Igloo 2 Gravity Front.

Having finished both now I can say with some certainty that the two MS Igloo series are some of the best mecha I've seen. One of the things i love about the Universal Century Gundams is that it stears away from being Super Robot, but Igloo is the first time I really got the sense that the Mobile Suits were just another weapon of war, and just as fallible.

7. Lord

Lord All Mighty

Haven't watched that in ages, is Ash getting any closer to pro league?

8. TheWiseGuy487

TheWiseGuy487 Electrifying!

Attack on Titan, episode 1.

This anime had my curiosity. Now it has my attention. :wow:

9. childeroland

childeroland Well-Known Member

Almost finished Kiddy Grade.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  10. KalMart

KalMart 239-Bean Irish Chili

There is no answer...even with the recent remakes.

11. KalMart

I believe I suggested Steins Gate. Yes, it was quite remarkable. Haven't heard the English version. It really does go into the personal costs of time travel like few other stories involving that does.

12. TheWiseGuy487

13. KalMart

It's probably not as interesting if you 'understand' it.

Still doesn't help. :oldrazz:

14. jonathancrane

jonathancrane I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Outlaw Star

15. Victarion

Victarion Iron Captain

He got close in the Diamond and Pearl saga. Unfortunately he lost to a trainer packing Darkrai and Latios. Also, it's been one year since he left Pallet Town.

16. TheWiseGuy487

I think I understand it a lot better than when I initially watched it and I still find it a very fascinating series.

I think a lot of people make a big deal about Evangelion being this big, religious, symbolic, complicated, deep mind**** series when, in fact, it really isn't (save for a bit of mind****). The creator pretty much said that the symbols are pretty much there just to look cool and nothing else, and that it's not a religious show. Anno Hideaki said that if he had known that it would have become so popular here in America, he wouldn't have put in all of the Christian symbols and nomenclature.

If you strip away all of the "symbolism" and all the mind****, it's pretty much just about people learning how to deal with life's problems. It just has some giant mechs, monsters and an apocalypse thrown into it.

It made perfect sense to me. But, then again, I've done a bit of my own research on the series so I understand it much better than when I first watched the series.

Also, if you look on that guy's channel, he's already done two character analysis videos for Ritsuko and Kaji. They're very insightful, imho.

17. KalMart

Oh it makes 'sense', cliffs-notesy as it is.....just doesn't help. :O

He should have gotten a narrator, too. But part of the fun of NGE is how WTF it is.

18. TheWiseGuy487

There's this one channel that I recommend checking out. It's called ReVolutionofEva. It really goes into detail about many different things in and surrounding the series (the psychology of the characters, the social climate and time in which the series was made, product placement, firearms, etc).

This one guy (dressed in a V costume, don't ask me why! :woot:) basically researched a bunch of Evangelion guides, magazines and pamphlets (only exclusive to Japan and not available in the U.S.) and psychology textbooks. He then put all the information he learned from these various sources and put it into these Powerpoint presentations for panels at various anime conventions to explain these various things.

Yes, they can be a little longwinded (he does ramble a bit, and there's a lot of videos) and sometimes hard to understand, but they're very informative. If you want to better understand the NGE universe, I highly recommend watching them whenever you have the time.

I won't deny that it's WTF-ery is definitely part of its appeal and what got me interested in it in the first place. I'm just saying it isn't as WTF or confusing as many make it out to be.

Sure, there's some stuff you have to sort through to understand it a bit, but you definitely don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out. It just takes a bit of research is all.

19. jonathancrane

jonathancrane I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Dragonball Z.

Reatching the show from the beginning.

20. KalMart

Again, what he explains is what a lot of us who already get it knew, but as if it was from a dictionary...which might not be all that inviting to someone who doesn't as much. Put it this way, it won't change someone's opinion of it if they're just turned off or bewildered by it. There's a vibe and aesthetic to it as well that I think either appeals to someone or doesn't regardless of how well they truly 'understand' it. Otherwise, it's like describing how a piano works for someone who doesn't like music. Or in this person's case, people may like music, but may not be as into hearing about the mathematics behind string scale and frequency harmonics. It's better explained through analogies of story arcs that we like. Someone a while back trued to explain what Fooly Cooly was really about....and it's like 'shut up, dude'. :D

Actually, Harvey Plinkett should do a guide for NGE.

21. KalMart

So Craigdb, you finally got to watch Steins Gate...looks like you loved it too, no surprise. Involving, wasn't it? I only watched a subbed version, curious to watch the dubbed one. That's one they should put on TV/Adult Swim. They did with Durarara, which I was really happy about.

22. TheWiseGuy487

But, that's the thing. Many people don't like the series because they are confused by it and think it's just a bunch of WTF, pointless symbolism and such. There's so many different theories and speculation out there on internet from people who don't even have a concrete understanding of the series that it makes newcomers even more confused than they already were to begin with.

That's why the information in the videos might make some people go, "Oh, that makes sense", and maybe even make them reconsider their stance on the show. It would at least clarify things.

And, even if certain people don't like the series as much, they can at least pinpoint why they don't like it. Maybe some of them would even find the information fascinating, in spite of their dislike.

For example, I dislike Batman Returns, but I have watched videos to better understand why and what I don't like about it. And even though I don't like the film, I can understand why some people would like it.

I get that it has this certain quality, as you said, that draws certain people in, regardless of whether they like it or not.

What I'm saying is that's not all there is to the series. It's not just about the WTF elements. Even if those particular people don't know or aren't interested in what makes the show tick, it doesn't make any of those facts any less true.

But information given in the video isn't described like complex string scale mathematics . It's given in a very straightforward, if somewhat rambling, manner. It's not rocket science.

But, there's a distinct difference between the two series. Both of them are like night and day.

FoolyCooly is mainly a "WTF" anime, with lessons of puberty and growing up sprinkled throughout. It was not meant to necessarily make sense or tell a "story". It doesn't take itself seriously, and was mainly made to mess with people's minds for fun. Like you said, it's one of those where you're supposed to shut off your brain and not think about it too much, lest you make your head explode.

NGE, however, was made with the sole purpose of telling a serious story about flawed characters dealing with their problems, with "WTF" stuff sprinkled throughout. It wasn't made with the sole purpose of screwing with people, even if that's what a lot of people got out of it. There's stuff in there that was supposed to make sense, even if you didn't get it right away.

In one of your earlier posts, you said that there are no answers to the series. But, as shown by the videos posted in the channel I linked to, there are. It may not be very apparent to someone who has watched the series for the first time, but it does make sense if research is done.

But, I've said my peace, with my long wall of text. :woot:

Make of it what you will, and no ill will intended. :yay:

23. craigdbfan

craigdbfan Well-Known Member

Yeah man I finally got to it and boy was it an experience.

I'm definitely going to revisit it (I'll go ahead and watch it in Japanese this go around). The dub was fantastic and the story was engaging to the point where I honestly couldn't stop watching even when I had work early in the morning. I was completely fixated and while I was at work I could do nothing but think of Steins;Gate.

Time travel has never quite been done like this. They did their research when it came to the subject matter and injected so much genuine emotion in what would otherwise be a relatively cold depiction of time travel. It was incredibly clever of them to use the[BLACKOUT] John Titor conspiracy, LHC, along with some Kip Thorne theories not to mention other grandstanding Time Traveling concepts [/BLACKOUT]and integrate them in a flawless fashion into the story.

I'm hoping the movie coming out is good. I know it's a completely original story playing off from where we left off at the end so I'm curious as to how that will work out.

24. KalMart

Clarify, but not necessarily improve.

I never said there is.

Never said it was complex. It's pretty rudimentary, actually...as is string scale law.

I never said they were like eachother as shows.

Of course there are answers...as those who created it very likely had an idea of what they were after. What i was saying is when you find out what they are, one way or another, they might not really be that interesting or add much. So you kind of have to find your own 'point of entry' regardless. And if you can't or won't, then a 'user's guide' won't really help that.

You obviously missed what I was saying, but kudos on the wall anyway. Ta-ta.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  25. KalMart

So they're doing a 'movie' followup. Interesting.

What I also liked was what I referred to in terms of the 'costs' of time travel.....and how things start to 'spoil' the more it's used, around bot the traveler and the stability of the world itself. An interesting philosophy about respecting the natural progression of time and events, and yeah the emotional/spiritual toll it takes....how along the way some real heartfelt things are discovered, then ripped apart by that same knowledge.

Like you alluded to...there are so many movies and shows/stories that deal with time travel and it becomes so cliché...but this seems to do it smarter than all of them. And really more emotionally, too. It's also funny/sweet how both times when the guy tells the girl how he feels...it's based on time he's spent but she hasn't...but she still senses it and is basically like 'Okay fine.'

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.