Latest Anime you watched? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darker than Black, IMO, is definitely worth sticking around for. In fact, I still occasionally google, "Anime's like Darker than Black", lol. I haven't gotten around to them, but I see Black Cat, and Requiem for the Phantom mentioned in a few of those lists, and plan on eventually checking them out.

Rosario + Vampire, IMO, the manga of it is far superior. The anime tried to be too sugary sweet, and something was lost in translation in the fights. I'm not saying it was horrible, but they cut a lot out. Tskune actually gained some powers in the manga, where in the anime he basically stayed in damsel in distress mode 24/7. Not to mention the manga goes waaaaay past where the anime leaves off.

I can't say for the last 3 though. I've seen a lot of praise for Ouran, but have never watched it. Trinity Blood, and Black Butler seem to get some praise as well, but again, haven't seen them either.

I finally sorted out my anime watching list sorted out now, heh. Think I'm going to watch Sword Art Online. Then the monogatari series, which while I hear is overrated, I hear it's also still worth watching. Then probably Toradora, I've seen some Youtube clips on it while watching random funny anime clips, and "She's like, Boing!, Boing!, BOOOIINNGGG", had me rolling for some reason, so I'm gonna give it a try.

Rosario + Vampire:
It suffers from reusing the same list of running gags episode after episode. The fanservice elements don't bother me too much since they don't reach gratuitous levels--like High School of the Dead.

Never mind...gone through a few episodes of Season 2..they upped the fanservice...

"Little Sister & A Vampire"
"Mother & Child & A Vampire"
"Body Measurements & A Vampire"
"Curry & A Vampire"
"School Trip & A Vampire"
"Bathroom & A Vampire"

Ouran Highschool Host Club:
"The Host Club Declares Dissolution!"
"This is Our Ouran Fair!"

--Finished Ouran, this will probably be one I revisit once in a while like I do with Fruits Basket and Elfen Lied.

"Guild"
"My Song"

Started this one sometime last year...maybe early this year? The premise is interesting with the High School as a way to the After Life...I'm scratching my head a bit, I feel like I've seen this story play out somewhere before. Decent action elements and a mesmerizing opening, and a great group of protagonists...

update...LOL.:
checked out Eden of the East: "I Picked Up A Prince", "Melancholy Monday" -Based on the first two episodes, this is a must watch for me.

but they cut a lot out.

In general, I tend to watch the animes first then move onto the mangas, but I agree with this. Especially with Rosario, but I feel the same way with Fruits Basket and Elfen Lied---I mostly don't like when characters get dropped/cut from the manga to anime and too much material is used and compressed into a season.

I still think whats truly annoying (although I do find it enjoyable) with Rosario is it settles on the same few gags each episode...especially for my two favorite characters--I'm still not too familiar with the manga--but my two favorites are Ruby and Gin...each episode for Ruby, she has her one line of "its a long story" to explain her changing school jobs/positions and when the group remembers Gin, they just remember he's peeping perve to explain why he's MIA from the group...are their roles any different (*cough* better *cough*)...in the manga?

Last edited:
Hundred Stories, Requiem from the Darkness. I loved the art but it was a really messed up anime when it came to what it dealt with. The ending wasn't what I was expecting but it was still interesting to watch.

Ronin Warriors

An anime from my childhood. It really lacks substance. There is nothing but fighting and the action just isn't good. It feels like it was made just to sell toys, back then.

I'm in the middle of Psycho-Pass, as I was trying to find something that could evoke a similar cyberpunk feel as GitS. This wasn't it, but it's still enjoyable.

Also started Kakumeiki Valvrave

Attack on Titan ep. 4 - 5

Wow. This show keeps getting crazier and crazier. :wow:

I'm up to episode 4 of Monster. Very tense, disturbing and engrossing. Loving it so far.

I recently started watching the City Hunter Anime from 1987. There is a manga as well that follows pretty much the same storyline. I really like this show. You can sort of see that a lot of more contemporary anime drew inspiration from shows like this.

Anyway...I think it might be my favorite anime. I like that the anatomy is good and the eyes aren't huge. I definitely recommend this to any cowboy bebop fans.

I just downloaded the crunchy roll app on my iPad, so between classes earlier i watched the first episode of digimon Tamers. First time seeing the original Japanese dub, though I think I prefer the dialogue from the English dub. Less stilted.

Rosario + Vampire:
"Pretty Boy & A Vampire"
"Lilith's Mirror & A Vampire"
"Holy Seal & A Vampire"
"Cross & Family & A Vampire"

In its entirety I enjoyed the anime, but as far as the conclusion (like with Ouran) was a bit underwhelmed. The characters were a bit too sugary sweet for my tastes but enjoyed all for the most part.

Eden of the East:
"On the Night of the Late Show"

Addicted. The animation is superb and the story is very intriguing.

Soul Eater:
"I am the Star! The Big Man is showing up here?"

Another one of those shows I started watching and lost interest in but now am revisiting. Thats happened a lot with animes, last year...for the most part I was finding a void on my Netflix account after Bleach and Death Note were removed.

I might put Soul Eater on the back burner to finish Eden of the East and Angel Beats. Then I'll move on to Soul Eater and Trinity Blood (which I started but haven't kept up with)...and of course I'm still trying to find a spot for Darker THan Black.

I recently started watching the City Hunter Anime from 1987.

Currently watching the live action series from 2010-11?...

...whoops didn't realize that poster was banned.

Last edited:
edit nvm

Last edited:
Just finished Sword Art Online, liked it a LOT. Not sure why. I mean it was good, but I think it was just the right anime, at the right time, even if I didn't realize it's something I was really wanting to watch...if that makes sense, lol.

Basically, in case anyones interested, it's about being stuck in an MMO world. Virtual reality games are the in thing, and after logging in to a game after it finally goes online. Everyone notices they have no log out button, and because of how it intercepts brain waves, they can't simply take the helmet off. They get teleported to the beginner's town square, and are informed by the games creator that it's his doing. The VR helms seem to have some kind of microwave emitter. So not only won't he let them log out, if they die in the game, or someone from outside pulls the VR helm off, it fries them, and kills them for real. He then tells them the only way out is to clear all 100 levels of the games final dungeon, and proceeds to show them live news footage of over 200 deaths already.

The show has some humor (though the first half leans more towards a dark, melancholy feel more than humor, especially with the way some ppl give up and accept the VR world as reality, and others commit suicide over friends deaths), very nice art, romance, action, and good characterization. Helps that even if he's young, the hero isn't a wimp, but a guy who fights on the front lines. Throughout it you see ppl betraying eachother and killing eachother for rare items they think will help them survive, monsters killing characters, and a few cooldown periods where they give a little breathing room, and develop personalities. Overall, I def recommend it.

Oh, and as for the mention of Angel Beats about half a page up. From what I understand, it was created by the same guy who made Clannad, Kannon, and Air. If you've watched any of those, that's probably why it feels familiar. I haven't seen it yet, but given that I still haven't recovered from the second half of Clannad. I'm hoping that when I do get around to it that that ninja that was cutting onions in front of my eyes while watching Clannad part 2 isn't still around, lol.

Last edited:
In general, I tend to watch the animes first then move onto the mangas, but I agree with this. Especially with Rosario, but I feel the same way with Fruits Basket and Elfen Lied---I mostly don't like when characters get dropped/cut from the manga to anime and too much material is used and compressed into a season.

I still think whats truly annoying (although I do find it enjoyable) with Rosario is it settles on the same few gags each episode...especially for my two favorite characters--I'm still not too familiar with the manga--but my two favorites are Ruby and Gin...each episode for Ruby, she has her one line of "its a long story" to explain her changing school jobs/positions and when the group remembers Gin, they just remember he's peeping perve to explain why he's MIA from the group...are their roles any different (*cough* better *cough*)...in the manga?

Ruby's a masochist in the manga :woot: if that says anything. She has a scene later on where she's being electrocuted, and everyone notices she's getting off on it, lol. The job stuff wasn't as prevalent in the manga. Gin, still a womanizer, but feels a bit more mature. Both of their characters are similar though.

It's the main character, Tskune, that's the most different, which pretty much changes everything. I mean the humor's still there, but it has a bit more action-y vibe, and less sugary sweet, fanservice, humor. Instead of being the perpetual maiden in distress he is in the anime, he actually gains powers from Mocha. Over the course of the manga he gets stronger, and is featured in more and more fights, though his power slowly goes out of control. Plus, where the anime leaves off was at the end of one of the weaker story arcs, IMO. The stories at a pretty escalated point right now, like global threat levels.

The only thing I will say if you get around to reading this manga, is that you should be prepared to wait, lol. There's a lot to read if you start it after where the anime leaves off. However the author seems to only release one chapter every month or two. Though his chapters are over 30 pages, unlike the 15-20 in most of the shounen jump manga's. So I don't mind keeping it in my reading list since I do like it, and it's an occasional release that doesn't take too much time to stay up to date on.

Speaking of manga's I currently read, that I started from animes. History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi's another one. The anime leaves off pretty early compared to where the manga is now. I think it's worth a go too if you want another action manga/anime. I mainly got into it because I was wanting another Hajime no Ippo, and I saw Kenichi was about a normal kid recieving martial arts training. Though while Kenichi regularly features real world fighting moves, it's done in unrealistic ways. It's not on DBZ, or even Naruto level craziness, but the masters in particular can do some amazing things.

Ruby's a masochist in the manga :woot: if that says anything. She has a scene later on where she's being electrocuted, and everyone notices she's getting off on it, lol. The job stuff wasn't as prevalent in the manga. Gin, still a womanizer, but feels a bit more mature. Both of their characters are similar though.

It's the main character, Tskune, that's the most different, which pretty much changes everything. I mean the humor's still there, but it has a bit more action-y vibe, and less sugary sweet, fanservice, humor. Instead of being the perpetual maiden in distress he is in the anime, he actually gains powers from Mocha. Over the course of the manga he gets stronger, and is featured in more and more fights, though his power slowly goes out of control. Plus, where the anime leaves off was at the end of one of the weaker story arcs, IMO. The stories at a pretty escalated point right now, like global threat levels.

The only thing I will say if you get around to reading this manga, is that you should be prepared to wait, lol. There's a lot to read if you start it after where the anime leaves off. However the author seems to only release one chapter every month or two. Though his chapters are over 30 pages, unlike the 15-20 in most of the shounen jump manga's. So I don't mind keeping it in my reading list since I do like it, and it's an occasional release that doesn't take too much time to stay up to date on.

I'm already looking to pick up Rosario volumes. :yay: I don't mind a wait in terms of the story, I'm sure I'll be in it for the long haul.

Thanks for all your info and recommendations the last couple pages!

I'm already looking to pick up Rosario volumes. :yay: I don't mind a wait in terms of the story, I'm sure I'll be in it for the long haul.

Thanks for all your info and recommendations the last couple pages!

Thanks for yours as well. I don't post in this thread all the time, but I do try to keep up on you guys' recommendations. This thread has led me to some good animes I might not have watched otherwise.

^
great film!

Got done watching my all-time favourite Ghibli movie, Laputa, Castle in the Sky.

Watching some Attack on Titan, love the manga and it's awesome, it's going to get so crazy. :D

Finally got around to watching The girl who lept through time, and liked it. I still have 5 centimeters per second to watch, and I'll be caught up on the anime movies I picked up, outside of the Studio Ghibli movies.

As far as series, after SAO, I saw Accel World was made by the same people. So I'm giving it a shot. I don't have a problem with the main character that others do. In fact, I find having a short, chubby, MC as being refreshing. The overall premise is interesting too, and the tech they use is I wish we had in real life :woot:. A device basically uses your eyes as a comp monitor, and let's you dive into online VR gaming anywhere. A game that alters your perception of time basically freezing everyone in place while you move around in your virtual avatar. Changing the landscape around you into another setting. Letting you step out of your body to think, and assess the situation. Being able to use it to your advantage to get ahead in life (think frezzing during a test to look up an answer on the net, or to look at everyones position during a sporting even), or to help others. Then the only way to restock on points to keep the ability going is to take points from other players. Past that I'm mixed on it though. The fighting is so-so, the overall story is light, and while the MC's appearance doesn't bother me....his crybaby attitude does start to grate. Even if it's understandable. I'm enjoying it, just not as much as I'd hoped I would.

After I finish this, I'm thinking of giving Mirai Nikki a try. Also overcame the urge to pop in Grave of the Fireflies again. I have no clue what brought it on, but was staring at it on my shelf, and almost grabbed it. Here I've been watching more comedy orientated animes lately, and about watched the polar opposite of what I'm in the mood for, lol.

^
great film!

Got done watching my all-time favourite Ghibli movie, Laputa, Castle in the Sky.

Glad to know you liked it, it's on my watch list, whenever I can get around to it, lol. I got a good deal on it, Spirited away, Howl's moving castle, Tales from Earthsea, and Borrowers of Ariety. I already had Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa (which I've yet to watch), and My neighbor Totoro. Figured since I like their work it'd be a good idea to pick the others up for cheap, and finally get around to some movies I should have watched a long time ago.

Funny side note, even though Laputa comes from Gulliver's Travels, "la puta" is "the ****e" in spanish to my understanding (only took 2 years of spanish in high school, heh). I doubt Ghibli recognized it when naming it, and I bet that's why my DVD just says, "Castle in the sky", since I got the English DVD (with dual audio, and subs), lol.

Just watched the first episode of the Aku no Hana adaptation. Certainly divisive and strange, not sure if it was a good idea, but I understand their motivations behind the stylistic choices.

Children who chase lost voices. It's beautiful if it sometimes remembers me too much of princess mononoke.

Just watched the first episode of the Aku no Hana adaptation. Certainly divisive and strange, not sure if it was a good idea, but I understand their motivations behind the stylistic choices.
The only thing I liked about that anime was its ED song. That's it.

The rotoscoping completely turned me off. I know that seems shallow but it's the truth.

-------

One Piece 1 - 12

Prepping for [as]/Toonami's premiere (return) of One Piece. They're starting at the Long Ring Long Island Arc. :wow: :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"