Laurence Fishburne IS Perry White in The Man of Steel

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by FilmNerdJamie, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Scarlet Spider

Scarlet Spider Well-Known Member

Franklin Stern who was the owner and publisher of the Daily Planet was an African-American gentleman. He was Perry White's boss.

James-Earl Jones even played him in an episode of Lois & Clark and the character also appeared on Smallville as well.

2. Optimus_Prime_

Optimus_Prime_ Well-Known Member

Definitely an inspired and great choice.

3. TheIncredibleSk

TheIncredibleSk Hard hitting opinions.

That would be good if this was a tv show where he could appear a lot but this a movie where Perry is gonna be a more than minor role. Something like Lucius Fox in the Nolan films.

4. hopefuldreamer

hopefuldreamer Clark Kent > Superman

:applaud

5. Dangerman

Dangerman Well-Known Member

This once again why I think DC missed the chance after COIE, Earth One and DCnU where they the had the chance to as they talked about many times to do Earth D (the earth that was suppose to replace the DCU after COIE) however they never had the guts to move on it. That's where I give Marvel credit because they at least changed things up with their Ultimate line and stuck by it. DC should have done the same. Even if they never did the same I still think this up roar over a black Perry White is lame. Who cares about the race he is a good actor and will do a good job.

6. Tacit Ronin

Tacit Ronin Well-Known Member

That's it. This film has the greatest Superhero cast ever.

7. X Knight

X Knight Hope

we don't know Lex or Jimmy yet.......or who will play Shelby!!

8. Rodrigo90

Rodrigo90 Wink wink ;)

If they can cast Robert De Niro as General Lane, and get Daniel Day Lewis as Lex, then I can die a happy guy :hehe:

9. DrCosmic

DrCosmic Professor of Power

^ Isn't Meloni Lane?

Someone said Expendables, so let's go!

Sylvester Stallone vs Henry Cavill
    David Zayas vs Michael Shannon
    Gisele Itie vs Antje Traue
    Jason Statham vs Russel Crowe
    Mickey Rourke vs Kevin Costner
    Jet Li vs Chris Meloni
    Dolph Lundgren vs Lawrence Fishburne
    Terry Crews vs Harry Lennix
    Charisma Carptenter vs Amy Adams
    Randy Coture vs Diane Lane

...and on that note, this is in acting talent. Obviously, in a fistfight, Superman would get creamed.

10. Lead Cenobite

Lead Cenobite Exquisitely Empty

So unless they change everyone's race, they don't have guts?

11. Lencho01

Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I think I've heard about the show. I remember reading about him being happy that he no longer had to dye his hair black. So, he acts as "himself" in the show?

The restaurant part is a lot like David Cross and Alvin and the Chimpmunks. He posted something online to explain the reason he did the film was for the mortgage of his house.

Good point. Though, I think it'd be expected for his role to be smaller than everyone else given what the film is supposedly going to be about. I think it would be nice if he ends up being somewhat of a father figure for Clark while he's in Metropolis.

Agreed. And it helps that the reputation of being a TV actor has increased over the past few years given the type of shows one could end up working on these days.

12. Mr. Thing

Mr. Thing HAHAHAHA no.

I don't think his announcement coming after filming has started means anything, really.

For all we know he could have been cast months ago, but only just now announced.

13. Rowsdower!

Rowsdower! Well-Known Member

BLASPHEMY! There were no film stars in that movie. Only action stars. There is a difference. :hehe:

14. Nemeres

Nemeres Easy, miss. I've got you.

I really like it. With some characters it's a big deal when they change their ethnicity, but with others, honestly, not so much. I doubt Perry will be a HUGE participant in the story, such as Gordon in the Batman movies, so I'm guessing any discussion on the subject will take longer than his actual screen time in the movie.

All that aside, I think it's cool. He's big, he's gruff, he's intimidating, he's fatherly. Great choice.

15. Rowsdower!

Wait... so does this mean Richard White will be black too? :D

16. socool

socool True

Wow! Great casting! I don't have a problem with making him black to be honest mostly because Laurence is a great actor. My Mom watches CSI 24/7 so I've seen quite a lot of his talent and he is really good. Can't wait to see how Perry is written...

17. Wams

Wams Well-Known Member

How am I racist..
    What is my true color?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  18. Wams

Wams Well-Known Member

Then lets cast Don Cheadle as Superman...
    Because he is a far more superior actor...:whatever:

19. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

I hate this argument because there are exceptions to the rule.

I don't want a black Superman but I don't mind a race change to a more minor character like Perry.

These characters are mostly created in the same era where minority characters were not the norm. It doesn't hurt when a 2013 film can showcase a black Perry or whatever. Who cares in the long run.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  20. JamalYIgle

JamalYIgle Well-Known Member

While i don't agree with you because I like Fishburne as an actor and think he's a good fit fot the part. I do agree in certain circumstances (Michael Clark Duncan as Kingpin for example)It's unnecessary.

21. Wheels

Wheels Eat my shorts

Perry and Superman are two different cases.

The Fish will do a fine job I'm sure.

22. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

Fishburne has a huge presence which works well for Perry. Also, this sort of casting can somewhat further distance Perry from J. Jonah.

23. Rowsdower!

Yeah, it's a different sort of thing. With Superman, the look is very integral to the character. You couldn't have a blonde Superman or a bearded Superman either. Well, you could, but it wouldn't look good and fans would complain and probably boycott the movie.

With Perry, there's a classic look, but like someone else said, many of these characters were created in a time when ALL major characters were depicted as being caucasian because of how bigoted the society was back then.

Well, to be honest, bigotry still exists in droves today (and unfortunately, it's become more and more blatant in recent years and has been disguised as "people concerned about America getting away from it's traditional values" or whatever the hell the Tea Party claims they are).

24. I SEE SPIDEY

I SEE SPIDEY Well-Known Member

It's 20-f**king-11 and black people exist and they can be President and editors of newspapers and everything inbetween. If a black Perry White bothers you, you have some serious problems and soul searching to do.

I'm happy that this cast is getting a little diversity. As a black woman I'm sick of always just seeing tons of white people in these movies. I never care when they change the race of one of these characters because I enjoy seeing myself represented. If another person doesn't, tough f**king cookies.

It makes me angry that we have this convo everytime this happens. It's nice that the vast majority on hype are sane.

Anyways I love this casting. I squeeled when I saw it.

25. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

I just love Fishburne's voice, it's so commanding and he just carries an aura. I just feel it will work perfect in this new Superman world. Every piece of casting has got me smiling so far. I think he will be a great Perry White, and will be a more calm, yet commanding person.

Funny I watched him the other day in one of my favorite films Apocalypse Now, he was only 14 when he did that lol, its amazing how he has such a strong voice then it was very childish (yea I know he was a kid lol)