Laurence Fishburne IS Perry White in The Man of Steel

I love the race change because it shows change you cant tell me metropolis is just filled with white people yeah that screams modern lol

this makes it more contemporary and modern because a black man can be in a position of power

this is'nt the 1930's

Franklin Stern who was the owner and publisher of the Daily Planet was an African-American gentleman. He was Perry White's boss.

James-Earl Jones even played him in an episode of Lois & Clark and the character also appeared on Smallville as well.

That would be good if this was a tv show where he could appear a lot but this a movie where Perry is gonna be a more than minor role. Something like Lucius Fox in the Nolan films.

This once again why I think DC missed the chance after COIE, Earth One and DCnU where they the had the chance to as they talked about many times to do Earth D (the earth that was suppose to replace the DCU after COIE) however they never had the guts to move on it. That's where I give Marvel credit because they at least changed things up with their Ultimate line and stuck by it. DC should have done the same. Even if they never did the same I still think this up roar over a black Perry White is lame. Who cares about the race he is a good actor and will do a good job.

That's it. This film has the greatest Superhero cast ever.

we don't know Lex or Jimmy yet.......or who will play Shelby!!

^ Isn't Meloni Lane?

Someone said Expendables, so let's go!

Sylvester Stallone vs Henry Cavill
David Zayas vs Michael Shannon
Gisele Itie vs Antje Traue
Jason Statham vs Russel Crowe
Mickey Rourke vs Kevin Costner
Jet Li vs Chris Meloni
Dolph Lundgren vs Lawrence Fishburne
Terry Crews vs Harry Lennix
Charisma Carptenter vs Amy Adams
Randy Coture vs Diane Lane

...and on that note, this is in acting talent. Obviously, in a fistfight, Superman would get creamed.

This once again why I think DC missed the chance after COIE, Earth One and DCnU where they the had the chance to as they talked about many times to do Earth D (the earth that was suppose to replace the DCU after COIE) however they never had the guts to move on it. That's where I give Marvel credit because they at least changed things up with their Ultimate line and stuck by it. DC should have done the same. Even if they never did the same I still think this up roar over a black Perry White is lame. Who cares about the race he is a good actor and will do a good job.

So unless they change everyone's race, they don't have guts?

Heh, that reminded me of that cable show Episodes. This English couple is making an American version of their hit UK show, and the producers want to cast Matt LeBlanc for the main part, which he´s totally wrong for. Even Matt himself knows it, but he wants to do the show cuz he wants to buy a restaurant chain.

I think I've heard about the show. I remember reading about him being happy that he no longer had to dye his hair black. So, he acts as "himself" in the show?

The restaurant part is a lot like David Cross and Alvin and the Chimpmunks. He posted something online to explain the reason he did the film was for the mortgage of his house.

The fact that he's cast after filming has started shows how small his part is. It'll be good to see him stretch his legs in the sequel though!

Good point. Though, I think it'd be expected for his role to be smaller than everyone else given what the film is supposedly going to be about. I think it would be nice if he ends up being somewhat of a father figure for Clark while he's in Metropolis.

TV offers security and stability. No flying all over the world, no crazy training regiments, no arguing with a director over some scene or something. You can go in, do something that's relatively easy for an oscar nominee, explore a character leisurely rather than at a marathon pace, and take home a steady paycheck to your wife. And, for Fishburne particularly, now be able to discuss the TV vs Movie actor experience with said wife.

You'll also see a lot of black movie actors on TV because there are more roles for them there. Most ensemble casts will have one, maybe even two major roles that allow for or even require black actors. This simply is not true in movies. Plus, while they may not have any power or leverage in the film industry because they aren't bankable despite their talent, when a big name actor comes down to TV, they have a lot more influence.

Agreed. And it helps that the reputation of being a TV actor has increased over the past few years given the type of shows one could end up working on these days.

I don't think his announcement coming after filming has started means anything, really.

For all we know he could have been cast months ago, but only just now announced.

That was just a bunch of aging film stars looking to make a pay cheque before their pensions come through :D

BLASPHEMY! There were no film stars in that movie. Only action stars. There is a difference. :hehe:

I really like it. With some characters it's a big deal when they change their ethnicity, but with others, honestly, not so much. I doubt Perry will be a HUGE participant in the story, such as Gordon in the Batman movies, so I'm guessing any discussion on the subject will take longer than his actual screen time in the movie.

All that aside, I think it's cool. He's big, he's gruff, he's intimidating, he's fatherly. Great choice.

Wait... so does this mean Richard White will be black too? :D

Wow! Great casting! I don't have a problem with making him black to be honest mostly because Laurence is a great actor. My Mom watches CSI 24/7 so I've seen quite a lot of his talent and he is really good. Can't wait to see how Perry is written...

Do you know what racism is? It's acknowledging inherent differences between different races. Doesn't matter what race you are or who you're referring to. And the fact he considers this move by WB "throwing a bone to the black folks" is ridiculous. There are no differences between white and black other than color, and I have no problem with a black man playing anything. It's about entertainment, acting, and incorporating the personality and essence of the character on screen.

Then lets cast Don Cheadle as Superman...
Because he is a far more superior actor...:whatever:

I hate this argument because there are exceptions to the rule.

I don't want a black Superman but I don't mind a race change to a more minor character like Perry.

These characters are mostly created in the same era where minority characters were not the norm. It doesn't hurt when a 2013 film can showcase a black Perry or whatever. Who cares in the long run.

Last edited:
I guess in the reboot... Perry's middle name is "Ain't". :whatever:
I love Lawrence as an actor in everything he does...
I just don't care about the racially motivated revisionist history with iconic characters.
Will Smith NEVER should have been Jim West...
Mc G himself told me he wanted Smith as Supes as his first choice.
That kind of stuff infuriates me as a black man.
JUST CREATE A NEW CHARACTER!!!

Thowing black folks a bone like this doesn't make us happy
and think things are on the level in HELLywood.

Anyway...regardless of all that... I still hope they can tell a good story
and pull Supes from the brink.
He needs and desevers better than what we have been getting.

:batman:
:supes:

While i don't agree with you because I like Fishburne as an actor and think he's a good fit fot the part. I do agree in certain circumstances (Michael Clark Duncan as Kingpin for example)It's unnecessary.

Perry and Superman are two different cases.

The Fish will do a fine job I'm sure.

Fishburne has a huge presence which works well for Perry. Also, this sort of casting can somewhat further distance Perry from J. Jonah.

Yeah, it's a different sort of thing. With Superman, the look is very integral to the character. You couldn't have a blonde Superman or a bearded Superman either. Well, you could, but it wouldn't look good and fans would complain and probably boycott the movie.

With Perry, there's a classic look, but like someone else said, many of these characters were created in a time when ALL major characters were depicted as being caucasian because of how bigoted the society was back then.

Well, to be honest, bigotry still exists in droves today (and unfortunately, it's become more and more blatant in recent years and has been disguised as "people concerned about America getting away from it's traditional values" or whatever the hell the Tea Party claims they are).

It's 20-f**king-11 and black people exist and they can be President and editors of newspapers and everything inbetween. If a black Perry White bothers you, you have some serious problems and soul searching to do.

I'm happy that this cast is getting a little diversity. As a black woman I'm sick of always just seeing tons of white people in these movies. I never care when they change the race of one of these characters because I enjoy seeing myself represented. If another person doesn't, tough f**king cookies.

It makes me angry that we have this convo everytime this happens. It's nice that the vast majority on hype are sane.

Anyways I love this casting. I squeeled when I saw it.

I just love Fishburne's voice, it's so commanding and he just carries an aura. I just feel it will work perfect in this new Superman world. Every piece of casting has got me smiling so far. I think he will be a great Perry White, and will be a more calm, yet commanding person.

Funny I watched him the other day in one of my favorite films Apocalypse Now, he was only 14 when he did that lol, its amazing how he has such a strong voice then it was very childish (yea I know he was a kid lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"