Let’s Talk Influences

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
Both in and outside comics. Reeves himself cited Darwyn Cooke’s Ego and films like Chinatown and Taxi Driver. Many have pointed out a Fincher vibe, particularly with Seven and Zodiac. The Crow... The Long Halloween... BTAS...

What else do we see in play here? Or hope to see?

Personally, I’d be all for a sort of modernized Golden Age feel, and a lot of the teases from Reeves since this has started would point to that not being a complete impossibility.

Also wouldn’t mind a bit of a Lynch/Blue Velvet vibe. What we’ve seen of Pattinson’s Bruce, Jeffrey Beaumont doesn’t seem too far off the mark.

I see a subtle Year One influence which i had the feeling we were gonna get, the suit reminds me of the Arkham game series.
What we saw also remind me a lot of the Nolan movies but with a more "dirty" look (in fact i would say that the movie so far does not feel much different from that franchise so far), i am hoping to see them put the Goth in Gotham city, maybe not go to Tim Burton extremes but i would like to see darkness gargoyles and that kind of stuff.
That is all for now haha

I see a subtle Year One influence which i had the feeling we were gonna get, the suit reminds me of the Arkham game series.
What we saw also remind me a lot of the Nolan movies but with a more "dirty" look (in fact i would say that the movie so far does not feel much different from that franchise so far), i am hoping to see them put the Goth in Gotham city, maybe not go to Tim Burton extremes but i would like to see darkness gargoyles and that kind of stuff.
That is all for now haha
Agreed about the gargoyle.

Looks nothing like Nolan’s movies. Completely different cinematography. And the goth is in there. They shot in Glasgow. You can’t get more gothic than that. The cemetery shot and cathedrals are evidence. The trailer is oozing with atmosphere.

Regarding the Batman Ego influence, do we think it's Bruce talking to himself at the end?

Both in and outside comics. Reeves himself cited Darwyn Cooke’s Ego and films like Chinatown and Taxi Driver. Many have pointed out a Fincher vibe, particularly with Seven and Zodiac. The Crow... The Long Halloween... BTAS...

Personally, I’d be all for a sort of modernized Golden Age feel, and a lot of the teases from Reeves since this has started would point to that not being a complete impossibility.

Also wouldn’t mind a bit of a Lynch/Blue Velvet vibe. What we’ve seen of Pattinson’s Bruce, Jeffrey Beaumont doesn’t seem too far off the mark.

There's one particular shot early into the trailer that seems to be a very clear nod to a similar shot in Jonathan Demme's Silence of the Lambs; the First Person POV shot of Batman being led to the crime scene by Gordon while all of the other GCPD officers and FBI agents in the hallway stare suspiciously at the camera.

silence-of-the-lambs-cops-staring-at-clarice

the-batman-official-trailer-1_52nz.1080.jpg

It's hard to be 100% sure here, since Matt Reeves previously used a similar type of shot in Caesar's first scene in War for the Planet of the Apes, but it does seem to be a deliberate nod.

On the comics' side of influences, it seems like Reeves and Glyn Dillon took influence from Neal Adams on the profile and silhouette of the ears on the cowl. I'd also agree with you that it feels like part of the aesthetic and intent behind Reeves' visual interpretations of the world seem to echo back to the period of the Golden Age comics (Bruce's Batsuit having a modernized take on the original 1939 Batemblem on it) and films of that era (Bruce resembling Conrad Veidt as Caesar in The Cabinet of Dr Caligari in that last shot of the trailer and the Riddler's costume design seemingly drawing as much influence from Claude Rains as the original Invisible Man as it is the Zodiac Killer).

In all honesty, while I can understand the Se7en and Fincher comparisons, until Reeves says otherwise, I don't think it's there. I think the similarities are more coincidental based on a more surface level. It looks more influential from the 70's films Reeves has referred to like Chinatown and Friedkin. The cinematography just looks like what a detective noir would look like in a Batman story that looks pretty close to the comics. Combined with Reeves directing carried over from the Apes movies. There's a reason why we always watched a Fincher film and thought he would be great for it. Because Fincher movies already looks like a lot of Batman comics.

You might say Zodiac, but I think it's more from the actual real life killer than the film it's based on.

There's one particular shot early into the trailer that seems to be a very clear nod to a similar shot in Jonathan Demme's Silence of the Lambs; the First Person POV shot of Batman being led to the crime scene by Gordon while all of the other GCPD officers and FBI agents in the hallway stare suspiciously at the camera.

It's hard to be 100% sure here, since Matt Reeves previously used a similar type of shot in Caesar's first scene in War for the Planet of the Apes, but it does seem to be a deliberate nod.

On the comics' side of influences, it seems like Reeves and Glyn Dillon took influence from Neal Adams on the profile and silhouette of the ears on the cowl. I'd also agree with you that it feels like part of the aesthetic and intent behind Reeves' visual interpretations of the world seem to echo back to the period of the Golden Age comics (Bruce's Batsuit having a modernized take on the original 1939 Batemblem on it) and films of that era (Bruce resembling Conrad Veidt as Caesar in The Cabinet of Dr Caligari in that last shot of the trailer and the Riddler's costume design seemingly drawing as much influence from Claude Rains as the original Invisible Man as it is the Zodiac Killer).

That Demme shot is so good.

I was reminded of this scene from Se7en where David Mills walks through the Greed crime scene.

Silence itself is just one of those movies where every shot is damn near perfection. The cinematography when Lecter is on screen borders on perfect filmmaking.

It's a pretty incredible film. I need to watch it again.

Agreed about the gargoyle.

Looks nothing like Nolan’s movies. Completely different cinematography. And the goth is in there. They shot in Glasgow. You can’t get more gothic than that. The cemetery shot and cathedrals are evidence. The trailer is oozing with atmosphere.
Im from Glasgow - there are some gothic(ish) elements, but its not a gothic city overall.

I meant the areas in Glasgow they shot in. As far as real location is concerned, it should be a dream for Batman fans.

In addition to the 70's infulences Reeves has mentioned like Klute, Taxi Driver, China Town, etc. there's definitely some 90's thriller vibes and early Fincher specifically. Se7en is an obvious one but also The Game. The visual style and richness, and use of the color red really evokes The Crow for me as well.

I think people are stretching with Year One because of Falcone and Catwoman.

The Se7en comparisons might be superficial but the trailer house went out of their way to remind people of Se7en for whatever reason. No way it's not intentional.

I think people are stretching with Year One because of Falcone and Catwoman.

The Se7en comparisons might be superficial but the trailer house went out of their way to remind people of Se7en for whatever reason. No way it's not intentional.
I get Year One vibes from the low tech, "he's out to clean up a city that likes being dirty" feeling the movie gives off. Reeves has really painted a picture for me of a young man struggling to turn his anger into something positive and that's something I really like in Year One as well.

I love it. Over the past few weeks I’ve been thinking Joker has been cast already (either with Jake Gyllenhaal or a younger character actor). The Tomlin story is fishy. It’s definitely a script that he was working on that was used a bit to mesh with Reeves’ script. Good find! So you’re saying Riddler is the main terrorist villain in the script? What if the arsonist is Firefly and not Joker?

Excuse me? I was the first to bring up Zodiac comparisons on here. Show me some goddamn respect.

Enn6.gif

If The Batman script has that much from Tomlin’s script, writers guild regulations would definitely be giving him a credit or at least story credit, not currently uncredited as he is.

If The Batman script has that much from Tomlin’s script, writers guild regulations would definitely be giving him a credit or at least story credit, not currently uncredited as he is.
Well someone in the writer's room at some point thought he deserved co-writer credit. WGA pulls dumb moves like this all the time. The co-writer credited now I don't think had any involvement on this script, he was the writer for the previous Ben Affleck version, but their system of accreditation is just crap. I'm sure Tomlin will have some credit on the final film. To go from co-writer to noncredited would genuinely be nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"