The Wolverine Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine" - Part 1

wolverinefans_zps3bba32e9.png

Since the movie's a week away, and a few lucky folks here have already gotten to see it, here is where to post your own reviews of The Wolverine.

Just a few simple rules:

-SPOILER TAGS!!! Use them. If it's something that wasn't in the trailers, TV spots, or behind-the-scenes features, put in spoiler tags. If you're not sure, put it in spoiler tags anyway.

-NO BOOTLEG FOOTAGE!!! No posting clips or images here that are from pirated copies of the film. If it's not an official clip, you can't post it here. And don't go asking for links to pirated material either.

-PLAY NICE!!! Opinions, we all have them. Be respectful of the ones that are different from your own.

These are simple rules. Please avoid the inevitable warnings, infractions, probations, and potential bannings that may and will occur if you do not follow them.

Enjoy the movie! :wolverine

For me, it's not even being "underwhelmed". It's like I said - I prefer the X-Men as a group, and their stories as a group, over the individual stories.

Also, while the vast majority of fans have been asking for this story to be adapted, it wasn't one that I was particularly attached to. I mean, it was a good story... but Logan isn't my favorite character, he's not even a top favorite character, and this wasn't one of my favorite stories from the comics.

But man, the more and more I watch this movie, the more and more I really appreciate how good it was. And like I said, I wasn't underwhelmed the first time. I loved it originally as well. But I can appreciate it more the more I watch it.

Except for the final act lol. I'm not a huge fan of Mecha-Samurai. Not adamantium bullet bad... but still not good haha.

Agreed on the Mech thing. My biggest disappointment with the film was that they didn't keep Shingin as the main villain as he was in the comics. What I loved about the original comic is that you see Shingin beat the crap out of Wolverine (with a wooden bokan to boot), and also break him mentally and emotionally, and we get to see him slowly build his way back up to challenge Shingin again.

I wanted the film to retain that more personal/toned down feel the original 4ish mini had. And it did, except for the last fifteen minutes, which was unfortunate.

Agreed on the Mech thing. My biggest disappointment with the film was that they didn't keep Shingin as the main villain as he was in the comics. What I loved about the original comic is that you see Shingin beat the crap out of Wolverine (with a wooden bokan to boot), and also break him mentally and emotionally, and we get to see him slowly build his way back up to challenge Shingin again.

I wanted the film to retain that more personal/toned down feel the original 4ish mini had. And it did, except for the last fifteen minutes, which was unfortunate.

That's what I wanted too. They teased it when he first sees Shingen. They could have at least done something with it there. The robot suit was the worst part of the movie next to Viper. They were terrible. Ironically the most "comic book-y" parts of the movie were so over the top ridiculous they wouldn't see the light of day in the Wolverine miniseries.

I did like the nod to the comic though where you first see Shingen in a dojo training with a wooden bokan which was a nice touch, but yeah like you said, they maybe could have had an initial fight like in the comics where Shingen completely beats Wolverine and then he builds his way back up till that fight later.

Maybe they could have indeed made Logan fight Shingen in that dojo with the wooden bokans at the start. When Shingen takes his mask off he could have said to Logan "You... come!" and had an initial fight while Logan is still weak and looking like a caveman. Or they could have had the initial fight in the funeral scene?

Anyways, I love the extended cut, the added gore really helps the funeral fight making it more fun and I like the extra f-bombs especially to Noboro "if you don't tell me what I want, I will throw you out that f***** window!"

I watched it finally on BD tonight, the EE doesnt add a whole lot in terms of the movie itself but the little things it does add help. Its refreshing to see Logan swearing and blood gushing in a Wolverine movie.

I cant wait to see what Mangold comes up with for the sequel, it could be something really special.

I watched it finally on BD tonight, the EE doesnt add a whole lot in terms of the movie itself but the little things it does add help. Its refreshing to see Logan swearing and blood gushing in a Wolverine movie.

I cant wait to see what Mangold comes up with for the sequel, it could be something really special.

Agreed, the EE is just a little bit better than the original, if I gave that 9 I would say the EE is a 9.2. Not massivly different but with some nice additional bits in it, like Shingen burying his sword in Logans neck.

Sequal will be interesting to see as is sort of a blank canvas compared to TW which was based on Logans biggest story arc pretty much.

It's not bad but better than Origins. :p

All in all a decent flick.

Agreed, the EE is just a little bit better than the original, if I gave that 9 I would say the EE is a 9.2. Not massivly different but with some nice additional bits in it, like Shingen burying his sword in Logans neck.

Sequal will be interesting to see as is sort of a blank canvas compared to TW which was based on Logans biggest story arc pretty much.

Yeah the EE went up to an 8.5 from an 8 for the TC for me, not a huge improvement, but an improvement non the less. Some little things like the one you mentioned really did add to the movie.

As far as the sequel, didnt Mangold say he will be basing it off a comic storyline? Even so, I have faith in him like I did with this movie, the guy is a really good director.

I finally saw this last night. I did enjoy this for the most part, but with the same complaints others have with the ending. I think it was just too many antagonists. The setting was great though. Also, the acting was pretty solid throughout.

This movie had great potential, but didn´t explore it wisely. Some of the cinematography reminded me Blade Runner, wich was cool.

6/10

Yeah the EE went up to an 8.5 from an 8 for the TC for me, not a huge improvement, but an improvement non the less. Some little things like the one you mentioned really did add to the movie.

As far as the sequel, didnt Mangold say he will be basing it off a comic storyline? Even so, I have faith in him like I did with this movie, the guy is a really good director.

Oh did he? I didnt realise that, but I guess there are plenty of others than he can "borrow" ideas and bits from, doesnt even have to be just one I guess.

I agree as well though with Mangold in charge at least we know we have a director who cares about the character and also in making a good movie first and foremost regardless of genre.

He certainly deserves a little faith and another go at it after his first effort, just hope he can deliver again.

Not to sound sappy, but does anyone else think that the whole sequence of Wolverine running towards the tower that Mariko is trapped in, as she watches him from below, is like...the first time that the X-Men franchise has played up the "romance" angle in a epic way successfully, especially with the music that's playing in the background at that given moment?

I mean out of all of the previous films that have had romantic pairings of some sort with their characters, I feel like this film is the only time where the romance felt organic, real, and sincere.

Plenty of action, blood, killing, swearing (well, the "F bomb" was dropped 3 times, not that often) and all that other good stuff. As always, Hugh Jackman is superb in the role but there are a few aspects of the film that bring the whole experience down.

Performances by the rest of the cast can be notably bad and lifeless at times and it doesn’t help that characters are written to be quite stupid and one-dimensional. I have a feeling that some actors were only cast because they were experienced in fighting and choreography for the plentiful action scenes scattered in the film. The romance between Logan and Mariko was unnecessary and felt too forced. The plot becomes a little difficult to follow as we get further into the film and is illogically explained towards the end.

There are plenty of moments that make you scratch your head and make you question what the filmmakers were actually thinking; Wolverine disobeying the laws of physics (on the train), successfully striking the adamantium robot with one clean sweep and then deciding to make it fall over instead of finishing it off, Wolverine not doing anything at all about the multiple arrows being shot into his back and not even looking as if he’s running fast enough to escape them and to get to Mariko, the Viper not using her powers immediately when confronted by Yukio, the list goes on.

"The Wolverine opened" with a very good 45 minutes but the remainder of the film gets silly along with both the plot and the characters. Hugh Jackman and his badass Wolverine moments may make this worth the watch but pretty much everything else doesn’t.
5.5/10

Last edited:
I finally watched this on TV the other night. It's an improvement on the first solo flick, but overall I'm glad I didn't pay to watch this at the cinema. Great setting (I love Japan) and the theme of immortality had potential, but nothing interesting was done with either. I guessed the twist right away (let's see is there a character in this movie badly in need of regenerative powers), so it was just twiddling my thumbs through the boring family intrigue stuff and Logan's most lifeless romance yet until a very silly finale. Very hit-and-miss action and that scene where Wolverine walks around like a living pincushion with arrows stuck in him made me snort it was so unintentionally hilarious. Hugh Jackman is as committed to the character as ever, but once again, solo Logan is rather one-note and dull. The only things I really liked was the opening WWII sequence and the relationship between Logan and Yukio, who's a fun if not particularly well-developed character.

The more I watch the film, the more I love it.

I liked it on first viewing, but it didn't really sink in.

I finally clocked the Extended Cut and honestly, this is top tier superhero film stuff all the way. I don't know what it is, but the X-Men franchise (barring a few exceptions) has always felt more measured and thoughtful with it's balance of plot, character and action. X1, X2, FC, DOFP and TW are all films that have big action set pieces, yet they never feel shoehorned or over-long or obligatory. As much as I love most MCU films, the action can sometimes feel like a necessity more than something naturally born out of the plot.

The Wolverine dares to be small, quiet and thoughtful. It grounds the characters and their motives in reality and makes the action count when it happens. Every altercation in this film is one I felt on a more visceral level than most superhero films, even the PG-13 version. And it's not just because the fights are meant to be more brutal and real, it's because the film does an excellent job of creating atmosphere and building it's characters.

The last act, which many people find tonally jarring and too "cartoony" still retains this edge imo and I personally do not see the drastic change in tone that others do. Before I saw the film I was prepared for the last act to be some kind of jokey hodge-podge of CGI silliness. And that's not whats on screen, at all. It's not more OTT or cartoony than two men fighting on top of a speeding train.

The Wolverine is a film I can see myself always coming back to, and cements the X-Franchise as the most mature and daring superhero series of all time, despite having duds like X3 and Origins.

The more I watch the film, the more I love it.

I liked it on first viewing, but it didn't really sink in.

I finally clocked the Extended Cut and honestly, this is top tier superhero film stuff all the way. I don't know what it is, but the X-Men franchise (barring a few exceptions) has always felt more measured and thoughtful with it's balance of plot, character and action. X1, X2, FC, DOFP and TW are all films that have big action set pieces, yet they never feel shoehorned or over-long or obligatory. As much as I love most MCU films, the action can sometimes feel like a necessity more than something naturally born out of the plot.

The Wolverine dares to be small, quiet and thoughtful. It grounds the characters and their motives in reality and makes the action count when it happens. Every altercation in this film is one I felt on a more visceral level than most superhero films, even the PG-13 version. And it's not just because the fights are meant to be more brutal and real, it's because the film does an excellent job of creating atmosphere and building it's characters.

The last act, which many people find tonally jarring and too "cartoony" still retains this edge imo and I personally do not see the drastic change in tone that others do. Before I saw the film I was prepared for the last act to be some kind of jokey hodge-podge of CGI silliness. And that's not whats on screen, at all. It's not more OTT or cartoony than two men fighting on top of a speeding train.

The Wolverine is a film I can see myself always coming back to, and cements the X-Franchise as the most mature and daring superhero series of all time, despite having duds like X3 and Origins.

Same here, I thought once DOFP was out I would not return to this, but I keep doing so again and again.

There isnt really another CBM like it out there for me and yeah the x-series does work for me a little better than the others due to its more mature and daring nature. I hope FOX can continue to improve and learn from its past mistakes.

I have a short review: I don't really like Wolverine but I really REALLY like The Wolverine. I think that's an accomplishment.

The epitome of average. It's almost shocking how there is nothing outright bad or good about the film - other than a few kinetic action scenes, this is the most vanilla, forgettable superhero installment. Think Mariko or Yukio are ever going to show up again?
The part I found most intriguing was him losing his claws and seeing where that would put the character, but that was hastily handled off-screen just in time for DOFP. It's a step up from it's predecessor so if scaling that very low bar makes it a success then good for them, but otherwise this is somewhat of a disappointment, especially when you consider how close Jackman is to being through with this character. Maybe the third time will be the charm.

Last edited:
I have a short review: I don't really like Wolverine but I really REALLY like The Wolverine. I think that's an accomplishment.

Yeah, I was glad that we finally got a good Wolverine film and I didn't have to wait for a third movie just to witness a good Wolverine film!

Would have been almost perfect if they had left out Viper. It was almost if they thought wait this is too grounded and gritty we need a wacky mutant to balance things back.

Viper and Old Man Silver Samurai Robot should've been dropped

Viper should've been some generic Doctor or possibly hinted as being Nathaniel Essex in disguise or something like that
And the old man should have gotten a transfusion from Logan that started to heal him and make him appear younger, then he fights Wolverine in a normal sized but Adamantium-covered Samurai suit

idk, something like that
but the first hour plus was still great, all the way up to the ninja fight

Just finished rewatching this, and with the exception of the way it ended, which I did not care for, this was a pretty entertaining film.

And the extended cut has a mid-credits scene I wish they had built on!

Last edited:
The ending is a bit weak with that huge samurai robot villain and I wasn't exactly crazy about Viper,but overall this is one of my favorite X-men films. Wolverine was a bit more badass and I liked how it wasn't this massive special effects spectacular like X3 was. Plus,I've always liked and been fascinated by Japan and Japanese culture,so I think that's one of the main reasons I enjoy watching this.

Last edited:
I ending is a bit weak with that huge samurai robot villain and I wasn't exactly crazy about Viper,but overall this is one of my favorite X-men films. Wolverine was a bit more badass and I liked how it wasn't this massive special effects spectacular like X3 was. Plus,I've always liked and been fascinated by Japan and Japanese culture,so I think that's one of the main reasons I enjoy watching this.

Yeah same, Japan is on my bucket list to visit one day as the place and their culture fascinates me also. But the story built around it for TW was great. That 3rd act just needed a revision or 2 before they filmed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"