Lethal Weapon Movies vs. Die Hard Movies

ShredderX

Sidekick
Reaction score
Which action franchise do you prefer ? Are you team " Yippy Ki-yay Mutha***" , or team " I'm gettin to old for thi sh** " ?

Like Lethal Weapon more. Especially the first Lethal Weapon. Mel Gibson is just phenomenal, one of his best performances. I think the Lethal Weapon sequels also are more consistently good, they know what worked in the first one and didn't stray too far from that formula.

Neither is a great series. Both have one great first film, then a bunch of sequels that don't come close to that first installment. I'd say Die Hard: With a Vengeance is better than any of the Lethal Weapon sequels, and the original Die Hard better than the original Lethal Weapon, so I'm going Die Hard.

The Die Hard franchise is the better one.

Neither is a great series. Both have one great first film, then a bunch of sequels that don't come close to that first installment. I'd say Die Hard: With a Vengeance is better than any of the Lethal Weapon sequels, and the original Die Hard better than the original Lethal Weapon, so I'm going Die Hard.

If it takes all the films being great/as good as the first in order for a franchise to be deemed 'great' then I'd say no franchise measures up to that standard. Best we can hope for is a series in which none of the films in it suck. At least that's my take on it.

I hold the first of both franchises in equal standing, however as an over all set of movies Die Hard gets my vote.

My thoughts exactly. I do love the originals of both, though.

Great question. DH1 and 3 are some of the best films ever made, imo, but DH2, 4 and now, probably 5, are below average.

The LW franchise has only one mediocre movie, which is LW2, but even that one is better than the worst DH movie.

I can't decide. Not yet. I wish there was a 3rd option.

This was a really tough choice. The way I decided was to look at the all the films as a whole. And I decided that Mel Gibson`s character had a better arc and a kind of resolution.
At the end of LW4, he was no longer suicidal, had found a new love and became a Father.
That`s why I think the Lethal Weapon series is better.

YMMV

I was always more of a 'Riggs and Murtaugh' kinda guy.

Lethal Weapon for sure.

Perhaps someone should write a screenplay where Riggs and McClane team up! :D

Man, I can't decide! I love both the LW, and DH franchises. I'm really not sure if I can just pick one or the other? I'm not sure yet.

This is about as close to a draw for me as it can get. I love both series (especially the first movies of both) and which one I prefer probably depends my mood at the time. If I had to choose, I would probably go with Lethal Weapon. I really am a big Mel Gibson fan (minus the drunken rants).

i love both franchises, but i think the Lethal Weapon series as a whole was much better because it actually had better sequels and characters remained grounded to a certain extent.

the first Die Hard film is perfection, but as the series progress McClane went from being a normal guy in a dire situation to a superhero. Liver Free or Die Hard was rather mediocre, and so far i have not heard good things about the new film.

I'd take DH1 over any of the LW's, but LW was far more consistent.

i think what really helped the Lethal Weapon films stay consistent through out all 4 films was that it was fortunate enough to have the same director in all 4 films

unlike with Die Hard, whose best films (1 & 3) were directed by John McTiernan. the remaining films suffered in quality because of the people directing.

Tough choice because they're not really the same type of action movies, but I've always like the chemistry between Gibson and Glover, they bounce off each off fantastically so I'd probably say LW. Plus LW had Renee Russo.

Lethal Weapon

I prefer Die Hard 1 and 3 over the Lethal Weapons, but as a series LW wins.

Also, Die Hard 2 is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Last edited:
Love 'em both, as far as the Michael Kamen scored films are concerned! ;)

The storyline for Die Hard With A Vengeance was originally intended to be Lethal Weapon 4. Which explains the buddy/cop element of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"