BvS Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Mel Gibson as an actor and most of the things he's in. While I have no doubt of his acting capabilities, I'm not so sure it's a good idea for him to be Lex. :-/

Last edited:
Spacey hamming it up like a cartoon was on him just as much as Singer.

No, if Singer didn't want him to play it a certain way then he wouldn't have, he was just doing his job to a T.

Well, you can also blame Spacey for that too. He admitted to hardly doing any research on the character because "the script was so good."

It's a shame really. He could have given us the greatest Lex Luthor ever if 1. the character hadn't been written horribly and 2. he actually gave a crap about his performance. But it was clearly just a paycheck for him.

He did a great job with his performance, I'm sure he gave a ****, how much would it have benefited him to have boned up on the comic book Lex anyway when the Lex he was playing was pretty much supposed to be a "darker" Gene Hackman Luthor hell bent on revenge against Superman for his jail time - virtually nothing to do with the Post Crisis Lex we all love to begin with? And the script for the movie, in fact, even much of the film isn't a bad movie, it's just not a great Superman movie. It is well made and the dialogue is better than anything Goyer wrote for MOS, the emotional beats are good, and while I prefer MOS to SR, that's all I have to say about that. :D

My only problems with SR, really, are the super kid and the lack of Superman fighting anything/Superman "action", the little bits they had him do in it I liked and thought were cool.

Last edited:
Particularly given that Superman is a Jewish icon.

Particularly given that Superman is a Jewish icon.

Whoa, okay Mel Gibson as Lex would cause an uproar. I just thought he might work. He's the same age as Cranston who's a popular choice for an older Luthor.

On the other hand, the prospect of Mel getting humiliated/beat up/imprisoned may encourage some people to see the movie. Just like him being the villain in Machete Kills and Expendables 3 could help, since people will see him get maimed and or killed.

No, if Singer didn't want him to play it a certain way then he wouldn't have, he was just doing his job to a T.

He did a great job with his performance, I'm sure he gave a ****, how much would it have benefited him to have boned up on the comic book Lex anyway when the Lex he was playing was pretty much supposed to be a "darker" Gene Hackman Luthor hell bent on revenge against Superman for his jail time - virtually nothing to do with the Post Crisis Lex we all love to begin with? And the script for the movie, in fact, even much of the film isn't a bad movie, it's just not a great Superman movie. It is well made and the dialogue is better than anything Goyer wrote for MOS, the emotional beats are good, and while I prefer MOS to SR, that's all I have to say about that. :D

My only problems with SR, really, are the super kid and the lack of Superman fighting anything/Superman "action", the little bits they had him do in it I liked and thought were cool.

Perhaps the dialogue was better for the secondary characters but given that it's supposed to be a movie about Superman and he hardly had any dialogue, I don't think that argument has a lot of weight to it.

If it weren't for Spacey, I wouldn't bother watching Returns if it's on the TV :o

i feel that if he was bald, subtle on the screen make up, if he gave his all, nice, fake to public, smart ass and rude in office, hell bent on getting rid of superman, John Travolta could, could be epic

Ben Affleck as Batman will just make this even more interesting when Matt Damon is cast as Lex Luthor.

-R

Pretty sure Zack will cast this Jon Hamm guy as Lex
[YT]t9eDVFrQDXM[/YT]

Brolin DAMN IT!!!

i am hopeful it will be Brolin considering he was supposedly on list of possible actors to play Bruce/Batman

he should be Lex :up:

if Snyder went and cast Ben Affleck......then the rest of the cast is going to be zinger after zinger, we are not going to be expecting these lol, it's like the cast of Lois Lane, no one saw Amy Adams coming and now again with Affleck.....Lex will most likely be the same, so that means forget about Strong and Cranston

Well they didn't go old, and he might turn it down, but get Dicaprio on the phone.

Leo definitely has the range for Lex, but I dont know, Lex should be.....older than Bruce Wayne, either the same age or a year or 2 older.....not saying Leo cant be made to look older but I'd still rather have an older actor for that (Leo 38, Ben 41)

Here's the thing, sometimes it's usually not someone we mention, but someone who we know could do it. ...so...

It'd be nice if they announced the Lex casting tmrw.

Well, just cast Cranston as Luthor and shatter the Internet.

I have an out their idea, Robin Williams as Lex. He's a great actor and has worked with Affleck before, I think he could pull it off.

My left field choice for an older Lex would be Del Toro

Prada_Men_benicio-_2430760a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee