BvS Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't there a story line in Cloud Atlas where he played a rather engaging negativve character... Nothing like Luthor but I'm just making a point here. My first choices have always been Daniel Craig and Joaquin Phoenix and I'm happy at least one of them is being actually considered for the role. Hanks is a tremendous actor and I would like to see his iteration of Luthor.

Isn't it time to update your sig?

Here is a suggestion that I personally haven't seen for the role of Lex. How about Neal McDonough?

justified-neal-mcdonough-quarles.jpg

I was at my parents house yesterday and my dad was catching WALKING TALL on cable funnily enough. He can do smarmy villain, for sure. I just don't think he has quite the level of presence and charisma needed for the part. He's a good actor, just not great, or particularly engaging to my eyes.

No offence to the actor or your opinion, but I think they are looking for someone of a much higher calibre.
None taken. I know that you are most likely correct, but nothing is official yet and I quite like the guy as an actor myself. I feel that he has a great look as well. I concede that he isn't the best suggestion, but he is someone different than all the usual suspects.

Isn't it time to update your sig?

I am so disappointed at their choice for Wonder Woman, I stopped caring about my Sig. Though I see why people calling her too thin and slightly framed are deemed cynical and shunned for the rest of their miserable lives:o, my disappointment mostly stems from the quality of the actress in question. I mean... There's Strahovsky...FFS! The fact that she may perform her own stunts is quite possibly the only upside I can think of! Well... That and the fact that she is quite the looker.

leo was almost spider-man when jim cameron was doing that movie in the 90s.

and depp isn't really playing a brainiac type. transcendence seems like it's basically that episode of batman beyond called "lost soul" where a rich tycoon tries to live past his physical death in an AI form then tries to take over his grandson's body after "inhabiting" the batsuit.

there's definitely more to that character then what you say it is because what would be the point of r.i.f.t. in that movie?

[YT]S_haMfwyPZc[/YT]

Caster's goal to acquire knowledge becomes one to acquire power, and he seems to be unstoppable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendence_(2014_film)

McConaughey or DiCaprio are going to be their Plan Bs. They definitely want a name for the role.

I agree with this. Whoever their short list is, If JP doesn't accept, expect a ginormous name EVERYBODY knows that even the casual movie-goer will go "whoa, must see." Either way, it will be a game changer for Lex.

I actually think Tom Hanks would make a phenomenal Luthor. Hanks usually plays such endearing characters, I imagine his Luthor on the surface would seem very likeable. Imagine how terrifying he would seem to the general audiance when he finally snaps, and shows his true nature...

I am aware that I'm in the minority here, but I don't think its as crazy a notion as some do.

I actually think Tom Hanks would make a phenomenal Luthor. Hanks usually plays such endearing characters, I imagine his Luthor on the surface would seem very likeable. Imagine how terrifying he would seem to the general audiance when he finally snaps, and shows his true nature...

I am aware that I'm in the minority here, but I don't think its as crazy a notion as some do.

You're not alone. I never thought of Hanks for the role because of his legend as a likeable persona, but when somebody first mentioned it in here, I couldn't clap hard enough. To me, Phoenix is without a shadow of a doubt, perfection, but Tom Hanks would certainly carve his name into that role and make it his own. I would totally welcome Hanks in that role. Hank's Luthor would be so mysterious in how he'd approach him that I actually want to see it, lol.

I still need to see Captain Philips, my sister told me it was good.

Although my preference is for a younger Luthor (late 30's, mid 40's), I wouldn't be opppsed to Hanks only because he is actually a good actor and he's so likable that his Luthor would easily be able to fool the public. It would be fun seeing likable ole Tom Hanks play a completely evil loon.

Last edited:
You're not alone. I never thought of Hanks for the role because of his legend as a likeable persona, but when somebody first mentioned it in here, I couldn't clap hard enough. To me, Phoenix is without a shadow of a doubt, perfection, but Tom Hanks would certainly carve his name into that role and make it his own. I would totally welcome Hanks in that role. Hank's Luthor would be so mysterious in how he'd approach him that I actually want to see it, lol.

I think the closest Tom gets to villiany-generally speaking, is anger. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M8szlSa-8o

And he can play angry REALLY well.

I think having Hanks play the villian would cast an element of tragedy (and JP probably would as well) and I think Luthor needs that.

He's a tragic figure, not because of what he's experienced (though Birthright gave a good sob story for the guy) but because of who he IS.

He could be arguably the most interesting villian in quite sometime if the writers and director do him justice.

I really don't want a tragic Luthor. I agree though Hanks is a great actor that he would bring something different and unique, but I don't want a tragic Luthor. I want an evil badass.

^ The evil bad@$$ MAKES the tragedy. Imagine a person who could spend all his technology and resources on making the world a better place, instead of discrediting or attempting to kill an alien with positive motives. But Luthor shouldn't be all mopey and sad, even if there were a tragic backstory (I'd rather not have a backstory for Luthor. Too much screentime, and it takes the mystery away.)

He should be likable on the outside, cold on the inside, but with flashes of anger.

As awesome as Tom Hanks would portray Lex, we've only had an older version of Lex in all of the Superman films. I want to finally see a younger version of the character on the big screen.

^ The evil bad@$$ MAKES the tragedy. Imagine a person who could spend all his technology and resources on making the world a better place, instead of discrediting or attempting to kill an alien with positive motives. But Luthor shouldn't be all mopey and sad, even if there were a tragic backstory (I'd rather not have a backstory for Luthor. Too much screentime, and it takes the mystery away.)

He should be likable on the outside, cold on the inside, but with flashes of anger.
Yes, Lex should be likable on the outside, but inside he is and has always been a psychopath. That's what I want. I don't want any tragedy associated with him. He could be a good guy, but he's not. That's what I want to see. Someone is completely opposed to Superman's way of thinking.

As awesome as Tom Hanks would portray Lex, we've only had an older version of Lex in all of the Superman films. I want to finally see a younger version of the character on the big screen.

Good point. It'd be a nice subversion for a physically fit 40 something with an underlying attractiveness to take on the role.

Has tom hanks ever played a villain? Ever? Literally the last (well known) person I would choose.

He was a hitman with some villainous qualities in ROAD TO PERDITION.

He'd likely also be an incredible Luthor.

My preference is for a younger looking Lex. Hanks is fairly old, so he wouldn't fit that part of the bill. Yet, he is a great actor, so it's possible he could play a great Lex. I'd just prefer them to go in another direction.

I still need to see Captain Philips, my sister told me it was good.

Although my preference is for a younger Luthor (late 30's, mid 40's), I wouldn't be opppsed to Hanks only because he is actually a good actor and he's so likable that his Luthor would easily be able to fool the public. It would be fun seeing likable ole Tom Hanks play a completely evil loon.

oh how quickly one changes ones mind...but let me respond to you with your own quote:

"You" leaning towards Tom Hanks getting it means nothing because you aren't Warner Brothers or the director.

if you're being sarcastic I must be told. I don't know you...:yay:

Last edited:
Tom Hanks? I'm done.

I can't! I lost the ability to can....Throw my ashes into the river.

FANBOY COMMUNITY WENT AND LOST THEIR DAMN MINDS!

9653E60AF.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"