BvS Likely Deductions About Who'll Be Cast as the Next Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say Gosling falls under that category right now. A guy who has been earning his stripes for years with some acclaimed performances under his belt but hasn't really found that mainstream breakthrough role yet. He's certainly not an A-lister in my eyes. His movies aren't exactly lighting the box office on fire nor is he a household name. I consider people like Will Smith, Leo, Brad Pitt and present day Robert Downey Jr. A-listers.

It will probably be Gosling and I wouldn't mind that at all. He's really good at playing haunted and mysterious characters, could pull off the look and has a good voice for it.
I love Gosling, ive wanted him for this role for a long time, but I don't see how you can say that he's got the voice for it. I would personally fix the voice issue by not directing him to scream, shout, growl, or even speak TOO much under the cowl.

I love Gosling, ive wanted him for this role for a long time, but I don't see how you can say that he's got the voice for it. I would personally fix the voice issue by not directing him to scream, shout, growl, or even speak TOO much under the cowl.

Watch The Place Beyond the Pines. But yeah I'd take the Burton-esque minimalist approach too. That made what Keaton's Batman said more effective in his movies and I don't feel that Batman should always be overtly talkative to begin with.

Watch The Place Beyond the Pines.
I have, twice now. He doesn't have the voice for it if he's going to scream (which sounds high, comical with voice cracking and all haha). But ive argued this point against the Gosling haters. The people who don't think he's got the voice for it or cuz he's blonde.

A) hair dye
B) Not too much dialogue under the cowl. A whisper like voice, even more subtle than Keaton.

Now, this could only be achieved if people accept that this new Batman may not be the Kevin Conroy approach that they want. We're all expecting a Conroy style of commanding, deep speaking in the mask. I would love that. But we need to stop expecting it because a Gosling like portrayal could be awesome if done right. It could be eerie, the more silent Batman is.

That's the odd thing, almost everybody knows who Gosling is eventhough he hasn't played in a blockbuster.

Also ive shown a couple of pics of Gosling looking dark and intimidating to the people who didn't think he was. But the first time I actually felt intimidated by him in a scene, was when I saw Only God Forgives last night. The scene with the blue-ish lighting when he's in the mirror and he turns. He looked so dark and brooding that I immediately thought of Bruce Wayne brooding.

That doesn't work for a Batman who interacts with the entire Justice League. Batman wasn't very talkative in BTAS, but when you put him on a team, whether it's him and Superman or the entire JL, you need him to speak more often.

If Gosling had Conroy's voice, we'd have the best Batman ever, but unfortunately, his voice is high pitched and cracks a lot. Totally wrong for Batman.

With that in mind, I see your point. Maybe once a Justice League film is done and they may recast the role of Batman, we can see Gosling step into a single director's interpretation of batman on film. Then it would work better. Like how Burton did a couple of movies with Keaton, or Nolan took on Batman with Bale. Maybe something like this can happen when Gosling's like 40.

Regardless, I would still be ecstatic if Ryan was cast. Even if that's a bit wrong of me.

Fassbender on the other hand..if some miracle happens and he doesn't do sequels for Days Of Future Past or Assassin's Creed, he would be perfect.

^ Whomever they cast in MoS 2/World's Finest as Batman is most likely going to be Batman for the foreseeable future until such time as they decide to stop making movies that are part of a shared live-action DCU. There's really no reason why they'd recast for a Batman solo film after Justice League, especially since it's highly unlikely that they'd make a Batman solo film that isn't considered part of the live-action DCU and in the same continuity as MoS, MoS 2/World's Finest, Flash, and JL.

I've never really thought about Gosling's voice being an issue, but when he screams in Pines and OGF it really is a whiny scream. That said, he's an actor, he can probably change his voice and make it somewhat deeper. If he can't do that, he's not nearly as good of an actor as I thought he was.

It may not work that way, it depends on the contract. This new guy may do 2 to 3 films as a part of his contract. Meaning signing to Batman/Superman, Justice League and a solo film. Similar to Cavill's contract (which im sure he'll renew). But not everybody can be like Cavill or RDJ in terms of how passionate they are for doing multiple sequels.

They may take the Bat franchise into Bond territory and need to recast once the 2020's hit. We also don't know if JL will ever get a sequel. Snyder/Goyer may not be keen on that idea or the first one simply doesn't do well in the B.O.

So Batman on film may resort to singular interpretations. In that case, Gosling could be cool as bad place.

It's a lot of what-if's, but it's a major possibility. There's no guarantee that the new actor sticks around for 4, 5 movies.

I've never really thought about Gosling's voice being an issue, but when he screams in Pines and OGF it really is a whiny scream. That said, he's an actor, he can probably change his voice and make it somewhat deeper. If he can't do that, he's not nearly as good of an actor as I thought he was.
You make a good point when I think about it. He's a great actor. Voice changing (it's just a little deeper) and no screaming and it's fixed. I mean, it's not like Bruce Wayne or Batman will be screaming super loud. Bale shouted in a growl which was enhanced in post-production. But I seriously doubt this Batman will do anything like that. Im expecting either a Conroy or Keaton approach in the cowl. I honestly don't think it's wise to do the Conroy voice in live-action unless he's only in the room with Superman, because people will know his identity fairly quickly. Keaton's approach was more believable. It was very subtle, and I think Ryan's a good enough actor to lower his voice a little when he speaks, while staying calm.

Exactly. An actor is supposed to carry enough range to adapt to a role accordingly that includes vocal inflections. bad place the sound engineers could help/enhance his voice as well with the audio mixes similar to what was done with Bale in the Nolan series sequels. That's a trivial issue at best. ADR exists for a reason.

Yeah he can use his normal voice as Bruce and go deeper as Batman. It doesn't need to be as drastic as Nolan's, but I do believe Bruce should change his voice in the costume. Bruce Wayne is a celebrity. I'm not saying he'd be identified in seconds based on his voice, but a smart adversary with resources could certainly use it as a jumping off point.

And Gosling is easily one of the most talented guys around the age range they are looking for. Would he do it though? He likes more personal artistic projects. If Nolan was still in the directing chair, I think so, but since he isn't, I'm not quite sure. Depends on what Snyder sells him. If he pitches it to Gosling as an all visual film, I think he'd turn it down, but if he convinces him they'll give the character as much depth as Nolan did, I think it's the type of character he'd do.

Last edited:
I don't trust Gosling's voice, I just don't.

Fassbender or Hardy are realistic options in my eyes.

huh. tom hardy. the more i think about it the more i like it. i honestly don't have a problem with hardy even if he was just bane. he had a balled head and a mask on most of the time with the exception of a few seconds in that flashback. he's also built like a brick**** house as we know more then ability to play the role. question though, I've never heard him with a generic american accent. i think that's all I'd need to hear to get on the hardy wagon. :oldrazz:

Hardy is not good at American accents. He admits he can only do a decent southern-ish accent. Warrior is a good starting place for his voice. It was fine but wouldn't sell me on Bruce Wayne. He has a quirkiness about his voice and mannerisms that don't fit Bruce and is sometimes hard to understand. He mumbles a lot. He's one of my favorite actors on the planet but he's not fit for Wayne at all.

Yeah he can use his normal voice as Bruce and go deeper as Batman. It doesn't need to be as drastic as Nolan's, but I do believe Bruce should change his voice in the costume. Bruce Wayne is a celebrity. I'm not saying he'd be identified in seconds based on his voice, but a smart adversary with resources could certainly use it as a jumping off point.

And Gosling is easily one of the most talented guys around the age range they are looking for. Would he do it though? He likes more personal artistic projects. If Nolan was still in the directing chair, I think so, but since he isn't, I'm not quite sure. Depends on what Snyder sells him. If he pitches it to Gosling as an all visual film, I think he'd turn it down, but if he convinces him they'll give the character as much depth as Nolan did, I think it's the type of character he'd do.
I agree and have been defending this point for ages. But recently I gave up because ppl were convincing me of the voice. After reading these new posts, I think im back on the bandwagon. The only thing holding him back is he's shooting his directorial debut. He might be finished now, im not too sure. But im guessing he'll be busy with post production for the next several months or longer depending on how long he wants to take his time. He would also have to keep hitting the gym. Im not sure how he looks right now since he's been off work all of this year.

Ryan Gosling is my pick for me, although his voice is a MAJOR concern of mine. It's perfect for Bruce Wayne, and as great of an actor as he is, can he really pull off a deep, hate-filled, almost demonic voice for Batman? Without it sounding completely artificial and off-putting? I....I'm just not sure about that. Right now, though, I don't see who else can play Batman. Bale just had all..ALL the right things going for him for the role. He was handsome, could practically mold his physique at will, phenomenal actor...who else can fill these shoes that's in Gosling's age-range?

It's more than "voice changing." You guys are pretty much expecting Gosling to be a talented voice actor as well as a live action actor, and he's not. Voice acting isn't easy, it's hard to change your voice and make it sound natural. Gosling is still an amazing actor despite not being able to deepen or change his high pitched voice, but please stop trying to make him something he's not.

Can't we just agree he'd make an awesome Flash? He's got the voice and energy for that, and if the character calls for some darkness, he can do that too.

He's right. Fassbender is my choice but it's a pipedream if he keeps at these franchises and Urban doesn't seem like a good Bruce even if he would be a solid Batman.

Even as much as I myself would love to see Gosling as Batman I honestly don't think he would have any interest in playing the role.

It's more than "voice changing." You guys are pretty much expecting Gosling to be a talented voice actor as well as a live action actor, and he's not. Voice acting isn't easy, it's hard to change your voice and make it sound natural. Gosling is still an amazing actor despite not being able to deepen or change his high pitched voice, but please stop trying to make him something he's not.

Can't we just agree he'd make an awesome Flash? He's got the voice and energy for that, and if the character calls for some darkness, he can do that too.

I've worked with many actors in my life, and if he can't make his voice a bit deeper he's not a great actor. Actors subtlety change their voice all the time. Some roles require major changes. If he can't do that, he'll never reach his potential. I think he can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"