Lionsgate "Power Rangers" - - - - - - Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not know..

I mean the first "trailer" sort of made me thing, Ok this could be good.

This one made me think, Ok I was wrong.

It seemed off somehow. The CG (too me) seemed not that great. Just something about the trailer bothered me. Hard to put a finger on it.

The first trailer put more emphasis on the teen characters and had a dramatic tone, so you may have been expecting a more serious take.
This trailer is cheesier and places more focus on the Power Rangers gimmicks without making the stakes come across as dour
(the song choice plays into that)
^ The necessary duality I spoke of before for an MMPR adaptation

I do appreciate Zack got to shine more in this trailer. Didn't think he'd be another comic relief.

How, exactly, is this movie, in concept, design, or any other aspect, derivative of those things?
- Space witch with the specter and her disposable army party scene.

- The Smallville fight scene.

- The Spider-Man power freakout.

Do you actually watch these movies?

- Space witch with the specter and her disposable army party scene.

- The Smallville fight scene.

- The Spider-Man power freakout.

Do you actually watch these movies?

Do you actually watch Power Rangers? :funny:

How, exactly, is this movie, in concept, design, or any other aspect, derivative of those things?

Eh, I can see where he's coming from. The trailer itself looks almost like someone took the best scenes from other trailers and stitched them together. I say that as a fan of it. But I've always felt like PR played up a lot of familiar tropes. The fun was in seeing characters you genuinely liked go through all of this stuff that you could easily recognize. It was sorta soap operaish in that way, which I guess it had to be to appeal to kids in the 90s at least. And this drama was always just an excuse to get to the fighting.

I'm cool if the film tries to do something different, but if the above is all we got then I can be on board so long as it's well crafted.

Do you actually watch Power Rangers? :funny:
No, I did. What is your point? Are you suggesting Loki and Rita were similar? Or that the Smallville/Avengers mashup fight scene was common place on the show?

Less derivative of what, exactly? What did you expect giant dinosaur/prehistoric creatures themed vehicles to look like?

Darth beat me to it. There's no clear distinct identity. It's all been there done that.

tumblr_ok169rVZtr1rqd7jqo7_500.gif

8kXfmK.gif

They look like the same fricken movie. If I didn't know that was PR, first thing that comes to mind is Transformers. Everything else is typical YA tween vs I've seen before mixed in with Superhero stuff. Avengers, Civil War, MoS, Thor, X-Men, Spiderman etc

Also, who says they don't look good?

I said that. They look ****. The Zords look over designed, too busy and downright awfully designed. It all screams trying to hard. The ****ing mastadon. How the heck does that look like a prehistoric creature? It doesnt even resemble a mastadon. Like I said, its all derivative. The megazord fits in perfectly with the Bayformers films with Megatron, Galvatron, the fallen etc

Last edited:
I really dislike how Goldar and the Megazord have no faces. What's up with that?

No, I did. What is your point? Are you suggesting Loki and Rita were similar? Or that the Smallville/Avengers mashup fight scene was common place on the show?
I'm suggesting your point would make sense if this wasn't Power Rangers.
I can get still not liking it because personal tastes and whatnot, but this is superficially what you guys wanted for months on end.

Right… if that's the case all those films and shows are derivative of TMMPR. :o
Exactly. Da-Scribe already explained all the familiar tropes you were bound to see in a Power Rangers movie.

I do find Rita's look to be uninteresting. I can only hope that Banks' performance makes up for it. Goldar just looks ridiculous. My money is still pre-spent of this one though. I just wanna see the Power Rangers kick stuff with a lil bit of character drama.

Angel Grove needs more cityscape.

Are those bulky rock monsters the putty patrol?

I do find Rita's look to be uninteresting. I can only hope that Banks' performance makes up for it. Goldar just looks ridiculous.

Banks from the bts videos we got is going for campy as a wicked witch.
She also looks the way she does because us Scooby detectives sleuthed out her role in this story.

I really dislike how Goldar and the Megazord have no faces. What's up with that?

They all just look lazily designed. Goldar just looks like a melted version of the megazord. And the megazord just looks like s typical bsyformer deception mixed with a bit of colour.

vlcsnap-2016-05-25-03h05m06s002-jpg.27597326

VBTYR9z.jpg

:shrug:

Sometimes I think TK and Darth secretly love the trailers and designs but they value their roles as negative Nancy.

Its ok guys...this is a safe space ;)

Darth beat me to it. There's no clear distinct identity. It's all been there done that.

tumblr_ok169rVZtr1rqd7jqo7_500.gif

8kXfmK.gif

They look like the same fricken movie. If I didn't know that was PR, first thing that comes to mind is Transformers. Everything else is typical YA tween vs I've seen before mixed in with Superhero stuff. Avengers, Civil War, MoS, Thor, X-Men, Spiderman etc

I said that. They look ****. The Zords look over designed, too busy and downright awfully designed. It all screams trying to hard. The ****ing mastadon. How the heck does that look like a prehistoric creature? It doesnt even resemble a mastadon. Like I said, its all derivative. The megazord fits in perfectly with the Bayformers films with Megatron, Galvatron, the fallen etc

You're working way too hard to find reasons to dislike this movie. Perhaps it would be better if you just stopped following it.

Banks from the bts videos we got is going for campy as a wicked witch.
She also looks the way she does because us Scooby detectives sleuthed out her role in this story.

I'm good with campy. Just gotta see it in context and how the dialogue is handled. I know her role in the story, I just think they still could've done something a bit more unique with the design.

They all just look lazily designed. Goldar just looks like a melted version of the megazord. And the megazord just looks like s typical bsyformer deception mixed with a bit of colour.

Eh, I wouldn't call it lazy though. I'm not sure what they could've done that it wouldn't have looked like Voltron/Transformer/Bayformer/Gundam/etc. The giant robot thing has been done to death. It looks a bit over-designed, but I really gotta get a good look at it to be sure. Even Goldar I'm sure took considerable effort, but hardwork doesn't always equal aesthetically pleasing. And honestly, there could be an in-story reason for it. Still ugly, but I'd be cool with it if there's an "Oh, I get it!" moment.

I'm suggesting your point would make sense if this wasn't Power Rangers.
I can get still not liking it because personal tastes and whatnot, but this is superficially what you guys wanted for months on end.

Exactly. Da-Scribe already explained all the familiar tropes you were bound to see in a Power Rangers movie.
It is not the tropes. They look like worse versions of movies from the last five years. They had to have the Smallville fight? Rita had to go Loki from the Avengers? Why?

I'm good with campy. Just gotta see it in context and how the dialogue is handled. I know her role in the story, I just think they still could've done something a bit more unique with the design.

Eh, I wouldn't call it lazy though. I'm not sure what they could've done that it wouldn't have looked like Voltron/Transformer/Bayformer/Gundam/etc. The giant robot thing has been done to death. It looks a bit over-designed, but I really gotta get a good look at it to be sure. Even Goldar I'm sure took considerable effort, but hardwork doesn't always equal aesthetically pleasing. And honestly, there could be an in-story reason for it. Still ugly, but I'd be cool with it if there's an "Oh, I get it!" moment.

I'd agree with all this if Pacific Rim didn't happen. It set up its own world, aesthetic and the giant robots had a distinct and unique look. Del Toro didn't draw from transformers and I respected that. Dean here or rather the committee, wants to cash in on that TF crowd, so now we're ending up with these busy uninspired designed. Like was all the extra legs on the triceratops and mastodon (or whatever that is) necessary? Like I said before, I'm all for new interpretations and designs. However, these look horrible. The only one that looks remotely decent is the T-Rex.

I don't think, while yes very similar, I don't think that those things are unique to MoS or Avengers at all.

I'd agree with all this if Pacific Rim didn't happen. It set up its own world, aesthetic and the giant robots had a distinct and unique look. Del Toro didn't draw from transformers and I respected that. Dean here or rather the committee, wants to cash in on that TF crowd, so now we're ending up with these busy uninspired designed. Like was all the extra legs on the triceratops and mastodon (or whatever that is) necessary? Like I said before, I'm all for new interpretations and designs. However, these look horrible. The only one that looks remotely decent is the T-Rex.

I liked Pacific Rim as much as the next guy, but those robots looked like every other anime mecha. I mean, that's part of why I liked it though.

I don't think, while yes very similar, I don't think that those things are unique to MoS or Avengers at all.
The way they played out in each film? Outside of Thor having a Smallville like scene, where were the movies where those scenes and characters played out in a similar manner in movies?

And it is the visual ques that are off putting. Like yes, Iron Man, Ant-Man and Doctor Strange are similar. But they don't look anything alike.

Sometimes I think TK and Darth secretly love the trailers and designs but they value their roles as negative Nancy.

Its ok guys...this is a safe space ;)

:funny:

It is not the tropes. They look like worse versions of movies from the last five years. They had to have the Smallville fight? Rita had to go Loki from the Avengers? Why?
That's fine.
I've read your complaints about the setting before and I'm sure you complained about it even when we first saw those mocap putty people fighting the Red Ranger stunt actor.
Rita was always "Loki from The Avengers". That's why I asked if you actually watch Power Rangers.

That's fine.
I've read your complaints about the setting before and I'm sure you complained about it even when we first saw those mocap putty people fighting the Red Ranger stunt actor.
Rita was always "Loki from The Avengers". That's why I asked if you actually watch Power Rangers.
Using this theory, every evil mage is the same. Yeah, I don't buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"