List your Best Couple from a Comic Book "Origin" Film

MOS Clois without a doubt. I love how in this version Lois was more of his equal not only did she know his secret but he trusted her to help when he needed her, sending Zod and his minions to the phantom zone, and protecting his identity. I also like how we got to see the journey of them begin to fall in love. None of that, one night of flying and they're in love. Although in S:TM I think Clark fell in love by spending time with her at the planet, Lois on the other hand, loves Supes first. Sure, there is no more triangle for two but I like it more this way :D. That and Amy and Henry have amazing onscreen chemistry.

Although, a part of my heart will always belong to Chris Reeve & Margot Kidder. They were the ones that made me love Clark/Superman & Lois in the first place and I just heart the romance in that movie.

Tony and Pepper definitely, they felt the most like a real couple. Their relationship to one another goes beyond his being Iron Man and the movie does a good job portraying that they love one another without it turning into adoration or being melodramatic like most other comic book couples.

After that is Steve and Peggy and Clark and Lois from Superman The Movie

I think we forgot Eric and Shelly Draven from the crow...

Pepper Potts and Tony Stark in iron Man.

In comparison with the rest it was incredibly well fleshed out and both actors had a great chemistry and charisma. I was amazed at how well it was handled, not too heavy handed, and there was that awkwardness from both. In the party scene, Tony was for the first time being loving and affectionate out of his playboy womanizer persona, and of course Pepper was seriously distrusting but at the same time you could tell she had been in love for a long time.

The worst to me was Thor and Jane. There's no reason, no development, it is forced and you cannot tell why is Thor interested in her, being him a god that lives around powerful and captivating female warriors. And Natalie Portman barely builds a character. She looks and acts like a little child.

You know you're on the MOS board when MOS Clark/Lois beats out Tony/Pepper, Steve/Peggy, STM Clark/Lois, and Peter/Gwen in a "Best Couple" poll.

You also know you're on the MOS board when The Batman is pulling his usual "I'm so above all the rest of these fanboys" crap.

Tony and Pepper were perfect in IM1, imo. For me, no other superhero pairing has come close to that kind of chemistry and rapport. Though Steve and Peggy were very sweet, as were Peter and Gwen, so I'd say those would tie for a distant 2nd place. Clark/Lois from MoS would probably go after those two for me, still far above Thor/Jane, Bruce/Rachel and Clark/Lois from STM.

Last edited:
Especially Steve and Peggy. Their chemistry is something else. MoS Lois and Clark are second.

Well, and I think part of this is bc...Steve and Peggy were doomed. Writers have a tendancy when a relationship is doomed to fail to pour on the melodrama.

Lois and Clark are not doomed. Their relationship is just beginning. It's wise that they took their time to build the trust in the first film.

All that said, for me, the couple that matters the most to this day is between Kidder and Reeve in the original Superman movie because without them....this would all be a moot conversation.

So many of the things people like about ALL these other couples were things that were borrowed and tweaked from Lois and Superman.

You wouldn't have ANY of these other relationships if they hadn't done it first.

You also know you're on the MOS board when The Batman is pulling his usual "I'm so above all the rest of these fanboys" crap.

You also know you're on the MOS board when Rowsdower! continues following The Batman around to cry about The Batman's posts....because for some reason, Rowsdower! dosen't know what the ignore button is.

Steve & Peggy/Tony & Pepper
Gwen & Peter
Clark & Lois S:TM
Clark & Lois MOS

Everyone else......

sidebar-gif-loki-like-burn-ooh.gif

Tony and Pepper were perfect in IM1, imo. For me, no other superhero pairing has come close to that kind of chemistry and rapport.

THIS. There's nothing quite like PepperOny and that's why they got my vote. :woot:

It's down to 4 for me

Superman and Lois (Man of Steel)
Tony and Pepper (Iron Man)
Peter and Gwen (Amazing Spider-Man)
Steve and Peggy (Captain America)

I'd also throw in Cyclops and Jean(X-Men)

Top 3 are probably Superman/Lois, Peter/Gwen, and Steve/Peggy; this is going by first movies only not sequels though. If it's sequels involved, Tony/Pepper.
Choosing is too hard. :csad:

You know you're on the MOS board when MOS Clark/Lois beats out Tony/Pepper, Steve/Peggy, STM Clark/Lois, and Peter/Gwen in a "Best Couple" poll.

I mean...I would argue that Reeve/Kidder should always be #1 because every single other couple here owes their existance to what they established. Reeve/Kidder set the tone and others just copied it and tweaked it.

But I can tell you why I would still rank Man of Steel over the other couples.

1.) I like Pepper and Tony. But, to me, the first movie didn't really do anything to break down any untraditional paths. ::shrugs:: They were very cute but it wasn't something I hadn't seen done before. I didn't feel like I got a ton of Pepper's POV and the idea of the guy being older and more "snarky" didn't break down any gender lines for me or give me anything new. I liked the relationship better by Avengers but I wasn't sold after the first movie.

2.) Peter and Gwen were very sweet but they were also very YOUNG. I'm 30 years old so teenage love, while very CUTE to me, is never going to win any contests because that's not the place I'm in in my life anymore.

I also feel like the Spider-Man reboot has fallen victim a bit to one of the major problems with Peter and Gwen in that the relationship and Gwen herself gets canonized without any flaws because they KNOW that eventually they want to paint Gwen as the "tragic, perfect lost love." Often, Peter and gwen, cute as they are, fail to feel real to me because I feel like the writers are terrified to make Gwen a real person with faults because of her eventual demise. It's bothersome to me and it bothered me when I saw the film. So I wouldn't rank them up there. If anything, I woud put MJ and Peter from the original trilogy above them because MJ's POV was clear throughout the first movie and she was a fully realized woman with faults and flaws.

Steve and Peggy were amazing but it was also a doomed relationship so, again, you get a bit of romanticizing and canonization that goes along with it. I still love it though.

Lois and Clark, for better or worse, are presented as fully fledged adults and they both have flaws and faults in Man of Steel. They both change as people because of their interactions with each other. Neither are perfect. Neither are that YOUNG. Lois and Clark, crazy as it sounds, is a relationship between 30-somethings which is RARE AS CRAP in fiction these days. And we are just as the beginning.

I'm not saying that the others aren't great. I'm saying...I can understand why some people might still prefer the 30-something building blocks of Lois and Clark over the others whether it's the MOS board or not.

I know it's a MOS board, but screw I'm going down with PepperOny. Just like I'll go down with Clois! :D

BTW, I don't know how I feel about the terms Clois and PepperOny. Part of me likes it but then another part of me feels like its too much like fan fic pairings, even though the pairings are canon.

That lack of love for Peggy and Steve is disappointing. It is so much stronger then the others imo. Tony and Pepper have had more screen time, but I honestly couldn't tell you if they truly have feelings for one another.

I mean...I would argue that Reeve/Kidder should always be #1 because every single other couple here owes their existance to what they established. Reeve/Kidder set the tone and others just copied it and tweaked it.

But I can tell you why I would still rank Man of Steel over the other couples.

1.) I like Pepper and Tony. But, to me, the first movie didn't really do anything to break down any untraditional paths. ::shrugs:: They were very cute but it wasn't something I hadn't seen done before. I didn't feel like I got a ton of Pepper's POV and the idea of the guy being older and more "snarky" didn't break down any gender lines for me or give me anything new. I liked the relationship better by Avengers but I wasn't sold after the first movie.

2.) Peter and Gwen were very sweet but they were also very YOUNG. I'm 30 years old so teenage love, while very CUTE to me, is never going to win any contests because that's not the place I'm in in my life anymore.

I also feel like the Spider-Man reboot has fallen victim a bit to one of the major problems with Peter and Gwen in that the relationship and Gwen herself gets canonized without any flaws because they KNOW that eventually they want to paint Gwen as the "tragic, perfect lost love." Often, Peter and gwen, cute as they are, fail to feel real to me because I feel like the writers are terrified to make Gwen a real person with faults because of her eventual demise. It's bothersome to me and it bothered me when I saw the film. So I wouldn't rank them up there. If anything, I woud put MJ and Peter from the original trilogy above them because MJ's POV was clear throughout the first movie and she was a fully realized woman with faults and flaws.

Steve and Peggy were amazing but it was also a doomed relationship so, again, you get a bit of romanticizing and canonization that goes along with it. I still love it though.

Lois and Clark, for better or worse, are presented as fully fledged adults and they both have flaws and faults in Man of Steel. They both change as people because of their interactions with each other. Neither are perfect. Neither are that YOUNG. Lois and Clark, crazy as it sounds, is a relationship between 30-somethings which is RARE AS CRAP in fiction these days. And we are just as the beginning.

I'm not saying that the others aren't great. I'm saying...I can understand why some people might still prefer the 30-something building blocks of Lois and Clark over the others whether it's the MOS board or not.

While I would still put those couples ahead of MOS Lois/Clark, I think this was a good post and had good reasoning. I also liked that instead of whining about what I said, you simply made a good argument. I will say that if I put this exact poll on, say the "Misc Comic films" board, it would have different results.

Personally, on sheer chemistry alone, I put Tony/Pepper, STM Lois/Clark, Peter/Gwen, and Steve/Peggy ahead of MOS Clark/Lois, and that above all is what sells me on a CBM relationship. On a conceptual level, I understand where you're coming from.

That lack of love for Peggy and Steve is disappointing. It is so much stronger then the others imo. Tony and Pepper have had more screen time, but I honestly couldn't tell you if they truly have feelings for one another.

I do really love the relationship between Steve and Peggy. I think the reason why that couple works because the relationship was never going to work. It was always in danger. That and throughout the course of the movie, they grew a mutual respect for each other.

I do really love the relationship between Steve and Peggy. I think the reason why that couple works because the relationship was never going to work. It was always in danger. That and throughout the course of the movie, they grew a mutual respect for each other.

Plus Hayley Atwell :hrt::hrt:

While I would still put those couples ahead of MOS Lois/Clark, I think this was a good post and had good reasoning. I also liked that instead of whining about what I said, you simply made a good argument. I will say that if I put this exact poll on, say the "Misc Comic films" board, it would have different results.

Personally, on sheer chemistry alone, I put Tony/Pepper, STM Lois/Clark, Peter/Gwen, and Steve/Peggy ahead of MOS Clark/Lois, and that above all is what sells me on a CBM relationship. On a conceptual level, I understand where you're coming from.

Lois and Clark/Superman have won the DCwomenkickingass "best comic relationship" poll every year she's had it. Pre new 52 and post new 52. They still won it this year even after DC's stunt with Superman/WW. And it wasn't a close vote. Lois/Clark annihilated the competition every year.

You may get different results depending on where you ask the question....but Lois and Clark are arguably the most famous and beloved comic book couple in the genre.

My point with this is....you are also talking about raised stakes.

Man of Steel was NOT a romantic movie. Now, we can talk and debate about whether that was a good thing or a bad thing.

Personally, I thought what we got from Lois and Superman was great and there is clearly room to grow. But the script itself was not focused enough on their interactions.

Then you add that Superman and Lois have 75 years of expectations and emotional baggage. They've had a TON of really great moments at this point which means that it takes MORE to make us sit up and go, "This is the best ever!"

Tony/Pepper had a huge adventage coming into Iron Man because...there were NO expectations. People outside of comics had no idea who Pepper Potts was.

It's just a very hard conversation because Lois and Superman, for better or worse, have so much iconic history at this point and so much "perfection" in other media that to get to a level where you can say "best" is just going to be really, really hard.

All that said, I think you could tell throughout the interview process that Henry and Amy continue to get to know each other better and seem to really, really like each other.

I think the potential is there for really sparky stuff in the sequel. I hope Snyder isn't stupid enough to blow that. That said, I did enjoy what we got which was two adults connecting in a way that was based on mature trust and respect because I don't think we get that a ton in movies about 30-somethings. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"