Logan Logan Box Office Prediction Thread

See Cap Run

Civilian
Reaction score
How much will Logan gross worldwide? I think it will make $300-$400 million if it's not well-received and $500-$600 million if it's very well received. I'm going with somewhere in the $500 million range based on the teaser trailer.

According the Wikipedia the budget is $127 million, so I think with anything over about $340 million worldwide and Fox should start to see profit from the theatrical gross alone.

For a frame of reference, Origins grossed $373 million worldwide and The Wolverine made $414 million.

If it's a great film I can see it grossing around $450-$500 million worldwide

I went for $500-$600 million, but that's mostly due to the trailer, the R-rating, and the whole nostalgia thing this movie has going for it. I would be surprised if this one doesn't out-gross 2013's The Wolverine. But I guess it will really boil down to the marketing. $400-$500 million range should be doable at the very least.

Last edited:
i'd argue it will probably benefit more from people being aware its jackmans final movie as many will be curious to see how its gonna end.

Last edited:
domesticly I will be surprised if it top Apocalypse but since fox is already promating it better than the wolverine and with both Jackman and Stewart In it
I think 130 to 150 Million domestic gross with 500 Million WW gross.Could it outgross apocalypse WW? considering how well the wolverine did overseas despite critism over 3rd act it is possable.I still believe a solo wolverine film even with Xavier in major role is likely to do less than a team film with wolverine.Even with adjusted for inflination domesticly first X-Men still tops Origins.wild card is with this defently jackman's last film as wolverine and likely stewart's last film as Xavier cause people want to see it.

550 - 600 m :up:

If it's great it will beat Apocalypse.

Well it has Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart together in a film. Familiarity always sells. But after that lukewarm movie that was Apocalypse which killed the series' momentum, I don't know what to expect.

I am gonna play the devils advocate and say 300-350 I just think it will have so much of competition that will really eat away at it

It's hard to say how much this will make. I'm not hearing Logan been talked about as much outside these boards as Deadpool or even X-Men Apocalypse were.The marketing hasn't really kicked in yet so that might be the issue.

A few things this movie has going for it...

Jackman's final apppearance as Wolverine(likely to draw more people)
IMAX release
Better worldwide release schedule than X-Men Apocalypse

It's hard to say how much this will make. I'm not hearing Logan been talked about as much outside these boards as Deadpool or even X-Men Apocalypse were.The marketing hasn't really kicked in yet so that might be the issue.

A few things this movie has going for it...

Jackman's final apppearance as Wolverine(likely to draw more people)
IMAX release
Better worldwide release schedule than X-Men Apocalypse
I think strong WOM will help this film a lot. They seem very confident in the film and if WOM holds up, then I think this film will definitely make more than The Wolverine.

The wolverine didn't exactly get bad word of mouth though.

What will help Logan at the box office in my opinion is the change of tone, this is a different aged wolverine in a different world and it offers something no one has seen before.

Last edited:
I think strong WOM will help this film a lot. They seem very confident in the film and if WOM holds up, then I think this film will definitely make more than The Wolverine.
Hopefully it will.
The wolverine didn't exactly get bad word of mouth though.

What will help Logan at the box office in my opinion is the change of tone, this is a different aged wolverine in a different world and it offers something no one has seen before.

Definitely offers something different than the rest of 2017's slate of comic book movies.

I'm being a little overly optimistic, but I voted 600-700 WW.

375 Foreign
245 Domestic

I'd be pretty friggin thrilled with 500 WW too, though.

I will be surprised if it hits 200 million domesticly.if it does that's a total indictment of fact domestic GA doesn't really care about first class cast.DOesn't matter if it's well revieved-first class or bad revieved-Apocalypse

most X related films do better overseas than domestic.

I personally think 200 million domestic is guaranteed. And here's why:

The sh***y X-Men: Apocalypse made 155... you really think that Hugh Jackman AND Patrick Stewarts last X-Men movie, rated R, with arguably the best trailer of 2016 (yes, I'm aware that awesome trailers don't always equal awesome movies... but still), can't do 45 million more than Apocalypse?

We'll see.

I hope this movie does at least slightly better than Apocalypse did, that is if it is as good as the trailers make it out.

The sh***y X-Men: Apocalypse made 155... you really think that Hugh Jackman AND Patrick Stewarts last X-Men movie, rated R, with arguably the best trailer of 2016 (yes, I'm aware that awesome trailers don't always equal awesome movies... but still), can't do 45 million more than Apocalypse?

We'll see.

wolverine tends to do better on X_Men team films than on his own even when adjusted for inflination first X-Men did better than origins.

jackman and stewart likely has more appeal to GA than first class/apocalypse cast.and unlike the wolverine fox is doing better job of promation and r rating helps get people's attention.

I will be surprised if it hits 200 million domesticly.if it does that's a total indictment of fact domestic GA doesn't really care about first class cast.DOesn't matter if it's well revieved-first class or bad revieved-Apocalypse.

That's like saying if the next deadpool movie does much more then Logan we might as well say it fact that no one really cares about Jackman as Logan/wolverines.

If people see Logan it will be because of how it looks, not because Jackman is Jackman and the FC cast are the FC cast.

I remember watching a show in the early 2000s That was about the the top ten best onscreen comic book characters and Jackman was in there as wolverine and people were talking about how great he was in the role and how he is one of the best superheroes on film next to Christopher reeves as superman but now days I don't see him getting as much fuss anymore, maybe because there are all these other superheroes like iron man being the new golden boy but still wolverine should be able to hold up the box office because his popularity is pretty much the original reason these films ended up still being made today.

Last edited:
If this film delivers I'm thinking:
DOM $160-170m
OS $350m~
WW $520m~

I'm being a little overly optimistic, but I voted 600-700 WW.

375 Foreign
245 Domestic

I'd be pretty friggin thrilled with 500 WW too, though.

Highest grossing X-Flick Domestically is X3 at $234m. I don't see Logan, a lower budget film that seems more action/drama than spectacle, being the film to break that ceiling.

We'll see.

$45m DOM is a lot of money. Neither solo Wolverine made it to $200m, and TW only did $132m, so you're looking for a $70m jump. I don't see that $200m being guaranteed at all.

I'm seeing it pop up a lot on Most Anticipated lists. Deadpool was it's own phenomenon, and that particular character is a marketers wet dream because of his ability to directly address the audience. But Logan doesn't have to be anywhere near as talked about as Deadpool to still be a solid success.

The talking points of:
Jackman's (and Stewarts) last time as the character
the R Rating
the trailer itself

I think have been generating a good amount of positive discussion and interest in seeing the film. If it delivers a film as good as the trailer suggests then WoM will be good and carry it to success. The fact it's lower budget (around $130m is the number I've seen) is also a point in it's favour.

i have actually seen Wonderwomen on more 2017 anticipated movie lists then i have Logan

i have actually seen Wonderwomen on more 2017 anticipated movie lists then i have Logan

Yeah, I noticed that too, and wonder Woman is still some time until release.

And now it's reported that the new Logan and Power Rangers trailers, which were released on the same day, well they didn't made some record breaking views, but compared Power Rangers beat it.

http://comicbook.com/2017/01/27/power-rangers-tops-logan-in-new-trailer-views/

PR - 28.3 million global views
Logan - 18.8 million views during the same time frame.

And we are like a month and half until release. I don't know. I predict something like 300-350 million total boxoffice for Logan.

It all comes down to quality. If the reviews are good and it's a good film then it'll have legs.

Yeah, I noticed that too, and wonder Woman is still some time until release.

And now it's reported that the new Logan and Power Rangers trailers, which were released on the same day, well they didn't made some record breaking views, but compared Power Rangers beat it.

http://comicbook.com/2017/01/27/power-rangers-tops-logan-in-new-trailer-views/

PR - 28.3 million global views
Logan - 18.8 million views during the same time frame.

And we are like a month and half until release. I don't know. I predict something like 300-350 million total boxoffice for Logan.

18.8 million views isn't a bad number(Homecoming at a similar number of views). Plus the international trailer had 4.6 million views.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"